yosh56

Radio Commands Could use a Trimming and Repurposing  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Radio Commands

• Need Some Rework for Useless Ones
    • Need ones that Pertain to Actual Gameplay
    • Leave It Legacy [Which you better explain]

• Totem Arts Staff

I'm not talking about outright removing them from the game, but the CTRL+ALT radio commands seem like they need to be A) Trimmed down slightly, and B) Replaced perhaps with similar voice cues, but used things that actually coincide with the game. E.G calling for mines in a building, or calling out that a building is clear of infiltrators quickly. 

Seriously, when was the last time you used 'Watch where you're pointing that' ?  Seriously. 

On top of this, a good number of these commands have been woven into Q-spot, which is far faster, albeit unable to be used unless you can see/target the structure. 

Discuss 

EDIT: Some of the major candidates for getting replaced/removed 

"Enemy Spotted" [Made obsolete by Q-spot which has more detail anyway] 

'Destroy That Vehicle' [Once again: Q-spot] 

'Watch Where You're Pointing that' - [... Just Z-Taunt to yell at people.] 

'Don't Get In My Way' - [This one's actually iffy... but still probably you can just shoot at a teammate if they are in the way] 

'Destroy it Now!' - [Same as Enemy spotted/Destroy that vehicle ]

Perhaps ALL of the CTRL+ALT commands if proper 'building cleared' and other messages are implemented. 

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

I agree with you, especially with adding

1 hour ago, yosh56 said:

E.G calling for mines in a building, or calling out that a building is clear of infiltrators quickly.

have it auto select the nearest building, E.G.

CTRL+ALT 1: Power Plant is clear!

CTRL+ALT 2: Power Plant needs mining!

CTRL+ALT 3: Beacon is not at Power Plant!

CTRL+ALT 4: Stealth unit detected at Power Plant! (Or just Stealth unit detected)

Some other useful "macros":

"Please scan the base for stealth units"

"Mine limit is not reached"

"Don't overmine"

Edited by Sarah!
  • Like 3

I would be happy to lend my voiceover and audio production skills (I am a professional radio host/presenter btw) to recording new radio commands. I can, for the most part, make them sound similar to the current ones. Obviously my voice is a bit different from the original actor but I can process them to have the same radio-effect.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, yosh56 said:

I use this a lot when I'm repairing a building that is getting fired upon by a vehicle that my team seems to have no interest in destroying. Typically I'm repairing the refinery on Mesa or Whiteout and nobody seems to care that an arty/mrls is pounding the hell out of our building. Q-spotting in this situation isn't really an option, but good ol' Ctrl+4...

Another option is to leave the legacy radio commands and add new combinations with the Shift key. That opens up 40 new slots.

Edit: Only 30 new slots. It could be 40, but that would disable number-based weapon-switching while sprinting.

Edited by djlaptop
  • Like 1

I find me and some other players use the radio commands at the right situation. I say keep them, but I'm okay with adding new ones.

Watch where you're pointing that: said a lot when teammates attacked me by mistake, it's like saying "it's me, not the enemy" or when a teammate is shooting my empty vehicle, etc. Similar command to Hold your fire which the game radio command needs.

Destroy that vehicle: I use it more than pressing Q. Maybe make this one more detail similar to pressing Q when aiming at an enemy vehicle would be nice.

Building needs repairs: used a lot when a building health is low, this one ain't useless for sure.

Enemy spotted: Still useful when you can't aim at the enemy but you know they're there. Like when I'm sneaking in a base and I saw an enemy, then another teammate arrived and I wanted to warn him about a nearby enemy in case that enemy disappears from sight. Can also spot proximity C4s which Q-spotting can't.

Don't get in my way: is still useful. It's more specific telling someone to get out of your way than shooting him. Might be useful if an ally tank is in your line of fire, then maybe shooting him while radio'ing this should give him a personal message to get out of the way?

Destroy it now is the only thing obsolete as they are more specific radio commands on attacking/destroying enemy targets. And all 10 CTRL+ALT radio commands are useful, not sure why they should be replaced, I don't need to point at something within my weapon range just to issue a radio command.

• Like 1

I never did like the radio commands only ever stating 'Powerplant' and 'Refinery' out loud, but never Weapons Factory, Barracks, Hand of Nod & Airstrip.

Replacing some radio commands with current sayings seems like a good idea as well. So long as the style of the new radio commands mimics the style of C&C then all is fine. In fairness, (not how difficult this is to do) but holding down Alt and menu popping up which allows the player to drag their cursor over a radio command would be far easier to use than Alt + "which frikken number do I want to- Oh yes!" "Move Out!"

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

Some good additions:

"I need a ride!" or "I need a pickup!" (with location tag)

"Need evac!" (with location tag)

"Spread out!" or "Scatter!"

"Behind you!"

The only ones I use seriously are "I need repairs" "Move out", "Fall Back" "Take Cover" "Return to Base"

all others are covered by Q Spotting.

"Loosing mines!"

"Missing mines!" Standing at certain building, it would type "Power Plant is missing mines!" in the chat.

"Clear." Standing at certain building, it would type "Power Plant is clear." in the chat.

"Watch out!"

"Need a ride" - I like that suggestion @roweboat +1. I often need a taxi to perform some actions, but need to stay infantry and not risk to loose my vehicle if I die.

"Incoming!

13 hours ago, yosh56 said:

'Don't Get In My Way!'

I actualy like this one to show my concern publicly and so everybody could hear that :D pls do not remove!

8 hours ago, djlaptop said:

I use this a lot when I'm repairing a building that is getting fired upon by a vehicle that my team seems to have no interest in destroying. Typically I'm repairing the refinery on Mesa or Whiteout and nobody seems to care that an arty/mrls is pounding the hell out of our building. Q-spotting in this situation isn't really an option, but good ol' Ctrl+4...

I'm using it too (for example when repairing the Refinery on Islands).

14 hours ago, yosh56 said:

'Destroy it Now!'

I'm using it when we are losing everything and only 1 building left :D

Edited by UFO
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Radeon3 said:

In the heat of the battle they won't notice you shooting at them. Instead of that gently underline that their relocation would be nice.

Almost never use this command, but I hear that (especially when I shoot from the tank in sort of first person) I block people or push them cause I don't see them. So in this case it is very much usefull...

Whenever I point at a person and use a directional or user-specific command something should pop'up on that players screen about it.

So if I radio command Ryz who's fat mammoth ass is blocking me by mistake he will be informed, actually indicated on his screen that I sent the radio command to him.

Heck, if other commands like 'Move out!' referred to the location nodes as well when called i.e. "Madkill: Move out! [GDI Base Entrance]Then eventually, in-theory, more players would be aware of who is calling that and where they are, similar to how Q-spotting works when you Q-spot an enemy.

I think the implementation of radio is not user-friendly. Just try execute some command with shortcut ctrl+9 with one hand. Another problem is that you can't select Hand of Nod and Barrack from command list. I also have problem to memorize the most of commands. There should exist more intuitive system, maybe shorcuts like for buying vehicle and characters. For example ctrl(open menu) -> 4 (Defence...) -> 3 Refinery. Or system like in Battlefield (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/battlefield/images/4/47/BF2142_CR.png/revision/latest?cb=20110724171131). Also command should be more exposed on screen (again look list of command in bf).

• Totem Arts Staff

I have always hated that "I'm in position!" is tied to ctrl + 9. THAT'S NOT EASY TO PRESS WHEN YOU NEED TO LET THE TEAM KNOW "I got this guys, stop freaking out".

Cuz in the course of trying to say "I'm in position", and ward off the enemy & disarm some c4... you might no longer be "in position" ... xD

@yosh56 / @Agent if you're reworking the sounds / radio commands - could you PLEASE add an audible *SURRENDER VOTE INITIATED* sound?

because either I'm 100% blind (+ my mates as well), or we dont get the damn polls displayed -_- it's annoying as .... if some noob surrenders for no apparent reason at all and some sheep just let the poll pass :mad:

"Requesting reinforcements!" with a radar ping on my location or something could be usefull.
I know you can mass spot enemies by holding Q to give your team an idea of what your dealing with, but in the heat of the action it can become awkward.
it usually ends up with me spotting everything while in the dead mans camera.

"Watch where you're pointing that!" and "dont get in my way!" are just pure Bad Manner troll emotes xD
actually "Don't get in my way!" would work better as a taunt.
"Destroy it now!" i find to be a morale booster command in the style of "let's f**k em up!", kinda useless but i love it.

"Destroy that vehicle!" is also a bit useless since the double spot says just that, but for when i can't actually see the vehicle it can be somewhat usefull. Lets say im playing walls and an arty starts whoring our ref, if i was stuck repairing the ref i could say "The refinery needs repair!" - "Destroy that vehicle!", indicating to my team that a vehicle is attacking our ref from most likely far away.

Edited by Syntharn

I think we should revisit how to deal with comm spamming. "Focus fire" is already helpful.

But as pointed out before  (can't find where and who) sometimes people can only communicate with regular text chat, which gets flushed away within seconds.

Is it possible to reorder the item to the top, when it gets issued again while being displayed?

Regardless of what the underlying mechanics to use that command; e.g. CTRL ALT or Q spot, or commor rose menu or whatever.