Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

• Totem Arts Staff

Round 2: Canyon

10 minutes ago, Testman said:

Now that I watched recordings, I noticed that I was a bit louder than usual, and clogged voice chat more than necessary. I apologise for that.

Did anyone from team Schmitzenbergh record?

Most of time @Gliven or @LavaDr4gon record aswell, but since they weren't there yesterday I guess I was the only one

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

Guest Gliven
4 hours ago, TK0104 said:

BLAME ME FOR DELETING THE XMOUNTAIN GAME AND NOT MAKING ANY BACKUP OF IT!

You monster

@Schmitzenbergh Sorry dude, should have joined you for an SBH and we could have taken their Barracks. (NO MINES :o )

10 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

that bad? :/

please be honest, did you command? did you give the orders... or did someone else.... claim 95% discord blabla-time and told other players what to do?

"Someone get an SBH... JUST ONE PERSON... But someone get an SBH... To Scout ahead..."

Meanwhile, half the team has gathered and now 3 of them have switched to an SBH.

"NO ONLYO NE OMG NOBODY LISTENS"

Guess who this was? :D 

Edited by Madkill40

1 minute ago, Madkill40 said:

"Someone get an SBH... JUST ONE PERSON... But someone get an SBH... To Scout ahead..."

Meanwhile, half the team has gathered and now 3 of them have switched to an SBH.

probably the same person who suggested the Doza rush on Barracks via field route.... xD

4 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

Well, I have to defend @Ryzhere. He said multiple things but at one point he said:

We need an SBH to scout ahead. Don't buy one yet but just say if you are willing to do this. Otherwise we will have to many SBH.

But yeah, 4 peeps bought a SBH and that's why @Ryz was kinda pissed and I can only agree with him on that one. Yes the SBH were used in the attack of, I think, the Ref. But I'd rathed had 3 doza's + 1 SBH than 4 Sbh in that attack. We only had 10 or so people to begin with, so the more firepower the better.

4 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

@Schmitzenbergh Sorry dude, should have joined you for an SBH and we could have taken their Barracks. (NO MINES :o )

Yeah, I asked multiple times for 3 other people to join me on the SBH Ref attack (and maybe in extend the Barr). There were responses but in the end nobody came. So lonely me attacking the Ref... No hard feelings though. I didn't knew the Barr had no mines, could have done some serious damage

Overall, the PUG from our side was just a mess. Not only @Ryz jabbering, but also me not having any idea's that evening. @Ryzhelped me with some idea's as well as @Madkill40 (That APC filled with anti-tank was fun yet badly executed :P) Got a bit demotivated after losing another Gobi match for the second time in a PUG for the same reason. But yeah, my speech at the end said it all ;p 

And for the @TK0104 team:

image.png

• Like 2

@Schmitzenbergh When you're rushing it's better to get one organized through use of names of your teammates who just died rather than asking for a number. Most of your team is likely out in the field doing their business thus potentially causing you to stand around and do nothing for an extensive amount of time. Meaning the most effective rushes are the ones where a big blob of your teammates die while your team still has some kind of field control.

@Ryz Try using names. Saying 2 people do this, 3 people do that, and 5 people do this is impossible for your teammates to organize themselves. And if you really like telling people what to do try volunteering yourself as commander more often.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, CampinJeff said:

@Schmitzenbergh When you're rushing it's better to get one organized through use of names of your teammates who just died rather than asking for a number. Most of your team is likely out in the field doing their business thus potentially causing you to stand around and do nothing for an extensive amount of time. Meaning the most effective rushes are the ones where a big blob of your teammates die while your team still has some kind of field control.

I really need to use names, yeah... I'm not that good with them though ;p Will try if there is a new PUG with me as commander.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:39 AM, Schmitzenbergh said:

Yeah, I asked multiple times for 3 other people to join me on the SBH Ref attack (and maybe in extend the Barr). There were responses but in the end nobody came. So lonely me attacking the Ref... No hard feelings though. I didn't knew the Barr had no mines, could have done some serious damage

Defending. I was defending against their attacks on the HoN. The amount of Gunners and Mobius I encountered, kept to using free infantry (flamer)

• Like 1

About early tank tactics (especially when you lost the harvy battle):

Couple of weeks ago, I brought up the early Mammoth Tank tactic, which @Denuvian , other german mates and me used on public servers (not sure if any commander ever approved an early Mammoth in a PUG match). it worked out quite well...

Now, over the past weeks I've noticed that other players tried to reproduce that tactic.

• early Mammoth-tactic is not meant for every map
  • Mammoth tanks are superior long-range-tanks but are poor close-combat vehicles
  • a Mammoth without decent field repair (PUG: 2-3 Hotwires [switching between Mammoth / MRLS / meds], no joke) is 100% useless - Nod will say: THANK YOU! FREE VP! *YUMMY*
  • on a PUG only the best tanker available should get an early Mammoth (and only if he approves it xD)
  • list of some mammoth tankers: @Xeon Wraith @Denuvian @Madkill40 @KrypTheBear @Havoc89 @Gliven (though I think Havoc & Gliven prefer meds)
  • if your team lost the harvester battle, donating for a Mammoth tank is a huge risk and I cannot recommend it
  • two medium tanks > one mammoth in health & avg. dmg (due to RoF and flexibility)

While Nod usually relies on superior Artillery firepower & mass of Technicians + LCG / LT, Nod commanders should consider the use of early stankz, either to sneak (maybe outside c4 & shoot a building, if successfull 3 stankz with Engineers deal armour break with outside c4 [102 total dmg] and should be able to either destroy a building, or deal a nice amount of perma damage), or - most likely the more promising variant: to flank and destroy GDI tanks.

As with Mammoth tanks.... Stealth tanks are NOT working on every map, they need cover, small hills etc. Goldrush & Tunnels are most likely the best maps for stank-flank-actions.

@CampinJeff are the initial credits & donation disable timer set for the next PUGs? Could you announce the server settings in the PUG Discord channel please? :)

Edited by DarkSn4ke
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fffreak9999 said:

What settings would you like (or have been arranged?)

that's up to jeff (or whoever is currently responsible for PUG organsation) to decide. I know last week he asked for feedback about the donations disable timer and initial credits.

I really don't mind if settings change, but they should be announced somewhere ;)

I tried shouting at some people for 2 hours. Here's a writeup.

TL;DR We suck at keeping our field repairs alive and theirs dead.

@TK01044-2 @Xeon Wraith

Canyon: Nod Xeon [Full-base] > GDI Thommy

Both teams go for harvester. As Nod requires less money for the initial arty push, priority was on killing GDI's Harvester over saving Nods'. Both harvesters die. My team gathers for a quick free infantry rush through tunnels while GDI kills Nod's second harvester. Rush is spotted and quickly shut down. Shortly after, Arties roll out and kill GDI's second harv with little opposition. GDI donates for Meds to combat Nod's rollout and a little later is supported by Gunner support. GDI manages to regain some field control, though unable to apply sufficient pressure to save their harvester. Flame tanks start being thrown in the mix and GDI are unable to counter. Arties move in and kill the Ref, WF and Bar in rapid succession.

Mesa:  Nod Thommy [Full-base] > GDI Xeon

My team all-ins on harvester side. Nod harvester dies and GDI's stays alive. During the latter half of the harvester's return journey, I organise another free infantry rush to Nod's PP. The intent was to run in during Nod's initial Arty rollout, where most of Nod's team would be idle on the Airstrip and defenders would be scattered mining the base. It gets spotted however and moves early with no success. GDI harvester dumps and Meds rollout to counter the Nod Arty push. High amounts of field repairs keeps the Nod's arties competitive and holds long enough for flamer support. Lacking a adequate means of killing Nod's repairs, GDI resorts to a mixture of EMP/airstrike spam to hold Nod off. Ultimately we lacked the sustain and anti-sustain to keep a significant number of tanks alive to make use of any opportunity granted. Nod shells the crap out of GDI's base and GDI tries to seek refuge in Nod's PP.  It didn't work.

Gobi: Nod Xeon [Full-base] > GDI Thommy

Harvester. Arty. Donated meds. Something happens. Dead GDI.

Islands: Nod Thommy [Full-base] > GDI Xeon

Dumb inf skirmishes around the place, nothing meaningful happens. GDI donates for Meds, Nod for arties and flamers. Once again, GDI lacked any meaningful way of killing their field repairs. Few GDI players decide to abandon field to go through tunnel but are met with the wall of @yosh56 (i think?). Ref and WF explodes eventually. GDI goes for a last-ditch Mobius rush which was totally not spotted at all shut up but the Barracks explodes before anything happens. 

Snow: GDI Thommy [Full-base] > Nod Xeon

I thought it might be funny to vote for Snow. And it was! Kinda. In a self-deprecating way. Dumb infantry battles around the place initially. Nod goes for the typical Arty rollout and GDI with Meds. Slugfest occurs for a while until @CampinJeff slaughters all of Nod's sustain. Repeatedly. GDI comfortably holds the tunnels with their field repairs and infantry bunker with snipers. Things explode. 

Crash Site: Nod Thommy [Full-base] > GDI Xeon

Due to spawn RNG, almost the entire GDI team goes to tunnels. Nothing significant happens. GDI goes for a early double APC rush, but it gets spotted and blocked by Arties (who the hell decides to take the long route as a slow arty?!). Meds rollout to combat the arties but unsurprisingly, GDI are yet again unable to eliminate their field repairs. Flamer support prevents any form of counter push and GDI remains locked in base. Eventually, the refinery dies from sneaking. Nod cleans up the rest of the tanks and the base shortly after.

In retrospec, there a ton of things that I probably should have set clear. Organsing so that our field repairs would have a guy on comms to alert tankers if they're getting flanked. Putting people on dedicated anti-repairs or EMP spam to counter the typical sieges. Setting clear who to donate for early tanks. Paying more attention to individual player skillsets would have helped too.

Eh, whatever. I'm willing to try shouting at people again at some point. dibs not next week

Edited by Xeon Wraith
Wrong commander
  • Like 4

Since when did you guys switch the PUG to Discord? Took ya awhile. But now that you have, may I be allowed to join back again? I've been on hiatus from this game for awhile. Currently re-downloading it. Hopefully things are still good not just ingame, but for everyone who I knew. :D

Edited by Ricefag
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
4 minutes ago, Ricefag said:

Since when did you guys switch the PUG to Discord?

There's already debate to switch it back to TS.. Discord gives a lot of problems with PTT for some people... and having no control over whether broken builds get downloaded is... concerning

Some map specific comments while watching:

Don't shoot the rocks in the middle as GDI until you're sure you have enough tanks, could've had 2 meds when the rock broke and the flamer came through.

Get a new med when you're down and there's only 1 other med. oh nvm you got a new one a minute later.

Airstrike followed by meds rolling in was good stuff.

Shooting repairs instead of tanks from the balcony, especially the tech running into strip to repair it, was a good move, don't draw the attention of the camping flametank too much, also the EMP on HoN front, keep throwing those to keep them busy. (ok you're doing that now).

+9001 for killing the LCG by using the explosive barrels at 17:06 :D

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/UAUX5QfQgLA?t=303

what did you do @TK0104 :D you knew there were two meds on your left, and yet you move out, ignore the two meds and start shooting the third med to the right? xD

https://youtu.be/UAUX5QfQgLA?t=972

@yosh56 lost his defence buggy xD

https://youtu.be/UAUX5QfQgLA?t=1013

Thommy got killed by DCG (med HS) - slow down the video to 0.25 :D

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• Totem Arts Staff

I'm sorry for not being the commander that people used to know and letting the team fall. I was tired of work (don't ask how).

In the upcoming weeks I work on Satursay too so I'll be in touch if I can still command after work. 

• Totem Arts Staff

PUG - July 22nd 2017

Round 1: Walls

Round 2: Lakeside

Not going to be uploaded since it's such a long match and boring one.

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Testman said:

can you at least put it somewhere on Dropbox or somewhere? I would really like to see that match from your perspective.

Did anyone from team Gormomma record?

Too late. Already removed the video. Btw would take ages to upload it to dropbox because the video was something near the 30GB

On 22.7.2017 at 10:46 PM, TK0104 said:

Naamloos.png.cbc130eea0ad6ee9b40961013ba9cd0c.png

Clear. I ain't commanding after work :P

nah, it was not your fault.

teams were really balanced. before the PUG started, our team (Gormomma) all agreed that the teams are awesome and the matches will be very interesting.

I can't say much about what happened on the field as I volunteered to be dedicated defender which ended up in placing mines and repairing the whole evening.

But I don't understand why GDI started to complain on Lakeside. Yeah, Nod camped... but what else were we supposed to do? With the HoN alive we had everything we needed to win this round. We had no reason to give up. Our only problem was: $$$$$

But... :D@Water had a good money stock through ~ 3/4 of the game. @dr.schrott and me supplied anyone on Nod with a constant cash flow. I ensured that @CampinJeff & @Quincy had a minimum of 1k credits (most of the time).

Whats weird is that GDI could have easily starved us. Keep control of the silos at all times and.... stop feeding us on cash and veterancy by various rushes. After the first two bigger rushes failed it would have been better to take a deep breath and reconsider the situation.

The game was... tiring but a good example what can happen if one team is too self confident about their advantage. Losing the WF to 3 SBH wasnt necessary.

But I'd wish we played 4-5 rounds instead of almost 2h Lakeside -_-

[btw... it was my fault that Nod lost the strip :( ]

• Like 2

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic