Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

@Psypher join the official Renegade X Discord [ https://discordapp.com/invite/t7wr6zE ], you'll find a "Weekly Pick Up Games" tab with #rules [which you should read ;)]

here's the official calender link (time when you should show up!): https://renegade-x.com/calendar/1-calendar/

boxes / campinJeff - 26.09.2017

Games start every SATURDAY at 11am PST:

which is 2 pm UTC+5 (guess this is your local time zone?)

Regards,

Sn4ke

Edited by DarkSn4ke
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

PUG - October 14th 2017

Round 1: Complex

Round 2: Xmountain

Round 3: Volcano

Round 4: Field

Round 5: Walls

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

On 18.7.2015 at 2:51 PM, yosh56 said:

Requirements:

1. TeamSpeak 3. You are not required to have a mic, but you NEED to be on Teamspeak to keep communication as smoothly as possible AND to acquire the password for the server.

We use the ConstructiveTyranny TS server for PUGs now, so once you have Teamspeak connect to

" ts.constructiveTyranny.com " using your in-game name for a nickname. There is no password to the TS server.

Is this up to date? CT TS directs me to discord.

• 1 month later...

Remember that job change to get the weekend for RenX? Well, I made the change and... that made things EVEN WORSE.

Now I work 60 hrs per week, and inevitably that falls on a Saturday. At least until the end of the year.

Then, either schedule will become better, or I swear these guys are going to have to find someone else. This is crazy. I got stuff to do.

• Totem Arts Staff

Went about as well as expected. 

Moderately low turn out (20 players).

Few minor bugs that needed to be worked out... stupid remix/rebalance system (good for Public, not for PUG) didn't shut off...

Bandwidth issues (Sorted that out, by upping the limit)

But otherwise appeared to have good gameplay once we nerfed some of the crate spawn settings (since Ion Storms appeared before the old one ended :) )

• 1 month later...

No posts in this topic for 1 month? This cannot be!

I had a blast on the saturday PUG, my team was great. Imo insane performance by @jpjtyld (even by his standards). Especially on Tomb, it would be a struggle to fight all the LCGs and Raveshaws without him. As always, solid tank play from @Xeon Wraith , @DarkSn4ke and Danvik. You always want to have these guys on your team. Also shoutout to all the guys repairing, especially @Cephyrus for whom it was the first PUG and who did an amazing job. As for myself, 80% of the time I was running around as a hotty/tech repairing & sneaking & sometimes planning and giving orders. 10/10 commander gameplay, would recommend.

@Quincy The after PUG chat has pretty much been moved over to discord. It is just so much easier and convenient to talk/type directly into the discord chat after the PUG.

I had the same lag spike problem, it started with connection to the warm up map.  

I switched to a VPN after the second game and the problem went away.

My VPN was routed through the USA.

The common element with the 3 players who had the problem is that we are all  in Canada. 

So probably a temporary issue ..route to the CT server was mb broken somewhere  

36 minutes ago, bfors said:

I had the same lag spike problem, it started with connection to the warm up map.  

The common element with the 3 players who had the problem is that we are all  in Canada. 

On 21-1-2018 at 1:14 AM, bfors said:

Don't know the names but @Gliven disconnected a few times and I noticed exact the same 3 players on the other team disconnected at the same time twice (so when they rejoined it happened another time 10 or 20 min later).  Looks like problems with their ISP... 

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect, I think the current team picking system for PUGs is broken.

For the past weeks (if not months) teams have been imbalanced in ~8/10 cases. We have enough seasoned players who can judge the skill of the participating players to split them fairly, but for some reason it's not happening. PUGs should be competitive but fair matches.

If players had assigned Discord roles for PUGs, commanders might be able to split them more fairly. Roles like: tanker, infantry, support, etc.

Currently there's no point for me to join PUGs any longer. If I want slaughter, rage-quitting and tilting at windmills I could just join a public match.

[just posting here for the record as I'll get drowned in Discord spam soon enough]

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 3:59 PM, DarkSn4ke said:

If players had assigned Discord roles for PUGs, commanders might be able to split them more fairly. Roles like: tanker, infantry, support, etc.

^ Role / Experience +++

Because finding someone to be commander but who knows the players such as what they can do is a bit of an issue really.

It doesn't even need to be too complex really,  just infantry and tanker. See it as an alignment, players are usually better at one than the other.

You could add more depth, sub-class to Infantry would be Sniper, sub-class to Tanker would be Artilleryman etc.

I don't mind doing the time-consuming task to assign roles to each specific player in the RenX Discord, (temp-permissions permitting...) the easiest way to assign such roles for players is for each player to fill out a form where they select the main roles and categories etc...   This is all just to make PUG teams be organised more fairly

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff
8 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

I don't mind doing the time-consuming task to assign roles to each specific player in the RenX Discord, (temp-permissions permitting...) the easiest way to assign such roles for players is for each player to fill out a form where they select the main roles and categories etc...   This is all just to make PUG teams be organised more fairly

We can use Dyno (discord bot) for this.

Like we currently have in the CT discord to choose a role of Plays: (X), you can limit it to 1 per user, they can choose the role they want and stick with it, or if they want to be a different role on another pug, they can just change their active role using the bot.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

About todays PUG (10 players / team max.)

#

TK -vs- Whistle

2 - 2

Nod wins only...

#

Teams were balanced, and I can only speak for team TK, but I guess we lost both maps with GDI because we were way too "passive" at the start. Dunno why, but we couldnt agree on a hard push at the start of both Islands & Tunnels.

From experience I'd say.... If you're playing low pop and both teams are balanced, Nod wins the majority of all matches because GDI is.... too cautious.

On Islands we were... literally waiting for Nod to siege GDI base, same on Tunnels. We had a lot of good suggestions, but for various reasons the team couldnt stick to one. Can't really blame TK though as there were a lot of "dominant" voices on Discord (including me 👺).

I think if we just stuck on the most aggressive initial push (after 1st harvy dump) - we'd most likely could have won both maps easily.

Islands:

• lock Nod inside their base with tanks asap
  • or
  • rocket rush ref from field through arc as soon, as the team can afford them... which is.... (assuming 0 inital cash -> possible after 125 seconds just through ref tick). [if that fails - just switch focus on arties so GDI doesn't lose Field control

Tunnels:

• once harv is secured -> double humvee action, hide behind WF, get an engi into each humvee and just push the rest of the team (except for the defender) through the map until you got to strip
  • or
  • (as suggested ingame) 2 APC asap, 1 filled with rockets ONLY, 1 as distraction - 5 rockets soldiers on perma break buildings within ~10 seconds max. [assuming they dont get killed, and they use right click only. in theory it's possible to get the armour break faster if I remember correctly]
  • or
  • just mass MEDS in GDI base and push all together through strip tunnel until you're inside Nods base [good old GDI steamroll which is super rare since the introduction of the VP system {even on organized matches!!!}]

Whatever GDI does.... just don't let Nod get the field control. and if you have to face Nod on maps with plenty of hard (visual cover)... just do anything that is possible to get the first building kill, even if it's "just" the Ref or the PP. The latter will at least stall Nod#s possibilities to use their organized guerilla techniques.

###

Can't really explain "how", but on Goldrush I sensed @boxes around the PP / HoN area. There was... a distraction (OB got triggered) and he hasn't been called out for some time... (or at least I knew he was not seen away from Nod base at this moment). It was just... a typical "boxes" moment. If you know what I mean... the time frame before a building just goes "b00m".

So I just fell back and scanned the whole area but not aggressively - just as silent as possible. Think I never ever killed boxes that easy before.

-> If you think there is something odd going on.... just go where you "think" that you saw a movement or... guess some players know what I mean whatever I write here :P - if you have an assigned role... just tell your tanker / inf mates, that you have to check something, which I tried to do most of the time ❤️

The funny thing is.... I had a similar moment on Tunnels. Thought there was someone sneaking bar while GDI PP & WF got attacked simultaneously (early game...) but as I doubted that Nod had advanced INF at that time... I ignored it :( and... whoever the sneaker was... almost got the perma break on BAR as soldier... god damn, that was well played. It was pure luck that some GDI didn't "lose" 15 VP to Nod. And Nod needs as much VP as they can get to counter Elite GDI units (assuming GDI lasts that long to get meds / mammoths).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic