Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

On 31.5.2017 at 3:12 PM, YagiHige said:

Having different per door is a pretty pro strat. I adopted it myself, as it's strat and not technical based. You pretty much split your base into 2 searchable halves when you do this, rather than every building as likely as the other, until you find it way too late to respond.

a pro mining strat would be NOT to place the mines that close to the door :P place them further back and rushing vehicles won't be able to disarm them through the door (unless you use the muzzle of a medium or something like that) but mines will still kill infantry running inside. just make sure all the mines blow up, regardless of the direction

Guest Gliven
13 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

a pro mining strat would be NOT to place the mines that close to the door :P place them further back and rushing vehicles won't be able to disarm them through the door (unless you use the muzzle of a medium or something like that) but mines will still kill infantry running inside. just make sure all the mines blow up, regardless of the direction

You either put them far enough back so that tanks cant "run" them over, or you put them right at the door so that when infiltrators try to peek and get too close, they blow up. Ive killed lots of sneakers that approached a door too fast and died. id say it depends on what door you put the mines at.

also if you are a tech at an obby repairing the mct, and someone runs in and dies to your mines, if they are too far back from the door, there is a chance you might die to your own mines.

• Totem Arts Staff

I'm not sure I'll make it tomorrow. I have judo exam which starts at 4 PM and ends at 6 PM. After that I need to return home and eat. And a shower would be nice. So I hope I'm still around 7 PM ready. But ey we mostly start 30 mins later so what am I jabbering about!

• Totem Arts Staff

Since people have stopped doing the recaps for some reason, I'll do this PUG.

Team Quincy vs. Ryz.

1.Mesa

GDI wins the harvester battle but Nod still masses artys to take short side.  Artys plus techs hold the short route while long route bounces back and forth.  LCGs sneak in and destroy the GDI pp while GDI was spread thin.  Artys + Techs + Flame tanks = Dead GDI.  Nod (Ryz) Victory.

2.Tunnels

Both sides lose their harvester in the beginning.  A GDI infantry rush takes out the airstrip shortly after.  Several minutes later WF goes down by a tech.  Awhile later Bar is destroyed by some sbhs and mrls.  GDI surrenders after a failed rocket rush.  NOD (Quincy) Victory.

3.Sexmountain

No harv battle.  Only a bunch of skirmishes on the field and infantry path with some infiltration attempts with infantry and stanks.  16 minutes later Nod PP goes down to infantry.  GDI rolls in with tanks and ions to clean the rest up.  GDI (Quincy) Victory.

FInal: (Quincy) 2-1 (Ryz)

Total Players: 25-27

Edited by LavaDr4gon
Missing info
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, LavaDr4gon said:

1.Mesa

It's worth mentioning that 2 LCGs killed GDI PP while we were busy elsewhere, that's what started our fall.

Other than that I think games were good and close. I think team Ryz's base defence was kinda bad. On tunnels, I saw an officer and a humvee scanning the GDI base. Despite that, I managed to take bar down to 7 health solo and literally 1 minute later lava finished off WF that was sitting at 50 health. That shouldn't have happened. 

Same on XMountain, we won thanks to infiltration. I had no trouble at all entering Nod base and eventually I destroyed a building on my third attempt, when I had some luck (and Jeff) on my side.

8 minutes ago, LavaDr4gon said:

Awhile late Bar is destroyed by some sbhs.

bar got destroyed by mrls. but maybe there were sbh shooting the back idk.

so regarding tunnels: I was just an officer checking for sbh's sneaking around. the other defender said i should defend bar and pp even tho i dont have a mic. so I kept checking bar tunnel for sbh while @Quincy snuk into bar from the front entrance and almost killed it. Later i was getting some hitmarkers behind the bar with the turret but couldnt find anyone. i got out to repair a gt, turned around and saw 1 or 2 mrls shooting at bar and eventually killed it. it went down pretty quick so maybe there were sbh behind bar shooting it too.

Remember I am a repair bitch, NOT a defender.

4 sbh c4 with MRLS killed bar

i'm not sure what you guys did after you destroyed the airstrip on tunnels, but if you guys played normal GDI you would have easily won that since you had the best sniper on your team. there was a 5-10 minute period after the strip blew up for you guys to mass tanks and hotties, all we ended up seeing were meds wandering on their own in front of our base and pointlessly shooting LCGs

Guest Gliven
3 hours ago, HuskerDoggo said:

bar got destroyed by mrls. but maybe there were sbh shooting the back idk.

so regarding tunnels: I was just an officer checking for sbh's sneaking around. the other defender said i should defend bar and pp even tho i dont have a mic. so I kept checking bar tunnel for sbh while @Quincy snuk into bar from the front entrance and almost killed it. Later i was getting some hitmarkers behind the bar with the turret but couldnt find anyone. i got out to repair a gt, turned around and saw 1 or 2 mrls shooting at bar and eventually killed it. it went down pretty quick so maybe there were sbh behind bar shooting it too.

Remember I am a repair bitch, NOT a defender.

Husker dont worry about it, we got outplayed. Couldnt be helped

17 hours ago, LavaDr4gon said:

11:59, the error that cost the game.

From Thommy's perspective alone, without your video, I wouldn't have noticed you as well. I would call it unfortunate for us, a few seconds earlier and you would have run straight into him. ;)

7ZM8Fvd.jpg

Edited by Denuvian
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

But Tombs was the best match. And we lost that :) awesome comeback from team 1

That was just because I joined :D

No. for real, Tomb was one of the best examples of teamwork and coordination that I have seen in a long time.

Too bad we didn't really carry that into next matches. Well, Complex we had a chance of winning, but on Canyon playing against GDI with a team that does not main tank, we didn't stand much chance at all. That medium tank rush was beautiful. You basically deleted everything that stood in your path. 5 artys, each with 2 heals and you guys weren't even worried.

11 minutes ago, Testman said:

That medium tank rush was beautiful.

Canyon was a match on the brink. Both teams could have won. For some minutes (at least it felt like a looong time!) Denuvian had the only medium - only vehicle at all - with me as field repair. Took a while until we heard E.V.A. saying the liberating words "Medium tank ready" again :D

• Like 1

Meh, I missed an Arctic match. Looked like fun seeing from @TK0104vids.

However.... Nothing happening, serenity all around on the chat, other team surrendered so E.Z. right? When suddenly....

https://youtu.be/f0VXOFCT_Ig?t=35m31s

GLIVEN WHY DID YOU GET OUT!!!!!!11111einzeinz

Ahw F*ck!

lololololol! Whoever did that, you made my day :D@Gliven Your reaction was priceless!

My PC decided to spontaniously reboot during first match due to Windows 10 being awful OS.

From my experience, only Goldrush was decent match, all others were one team getting instantly destroyed by the other. Probably due to lower player count and therefore less options to distribute role-taking players properly between teams. But goldrush I believe was properly balanced and therefore very enjoyable to play.

Could someone who was present all the time write a recap?

the first rounds were clearly one-sided because one team had no acting commander. After the ~ 3rd match @CampinJeff swapped me to that team and during a very bad Walls game I asked him if he would command this team for the next round, which was: Goldrush.

team balance on individual player skills level was okay, but without any organization it felt like playing a public match against a team using TS/discord to organize themself.

anyways, once again: thank you @CampinJeff for taking command!!

• Like 2

Guest Gliven

I helped Jeff pick teams, I thought it was pretty evenly balanced skill wise. But as @DarkSn4ke said. We didn't really have any strategy other than, get tanks and take field. @Schmitzenbergh and i took command the first round. I took a step back and let Schmitz run the show pretty much. @Havoc89 spoke up and helped out as well if i recall. Not that im blaming Schmitz for anything. I think he did fine. @Schmitzenbergh you should command more.

Also who's idea was it to pick whiteout as GDI lol. That is almost a guaranteed loss

It was Canada day 150, so I was already in a party mood. My head wasn't really into the game. So i ended up being the base defender. In hindsight i should have probably sat in a tank and picked at least 2 people to be repairs. And asked zi zesty zitis to defend in my place. If i recall zesty/mandateofheaven is a pretty good defender.

I still had fun on canyon at least. I managed to get the highest k/d (not that, that really matters). so there was plenty of action. I also ran to the arties to help repair when people weren't trying to sneak in. I also managed to take out the occasional gunner/grenadier that tried to harass our Ref.

@Crab Get rekt. Losing to a hotwire with a silenced pistol. I thought you had better aim than that.

19 hours ago, TK0104 said:

Full PUG Livestream - July 1st 2017

Click Here

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.a7ac69de61733ef88d30fa2019e7fb39.jpg

As much as I like seeing livestreams of games, I'd recommend you to delay the stream by 15-20 minutes. 

It would be kind of annoying if players from the other team tuned in and listened on your strategies and tactics.

Other than that, keep spreading the word matey. :P 

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
17 minutes ago, KrypTheBear said:

As much as I like seeing livestreams of games, I'd recommend you to delay the stream by 15-20 minutes. 

It would be kind of annoying if players from the other team tuned in and listened on your strategies and tactics.

Other than that, keep spreading the word matey. :P 

Think it's not necessary atm since we just keep winning :P

And I won't be doing this every week. Maybe last and first saturday of the month. Idk

2 hours ago, Gliven said:

I think he did fine. @Schmitzenbergh you should command more.

Also who's idea was it to pick whiteout as GDI lol. That is almost a guaranteed loss

It was I who suggested Whiteout, that why I'm not suitable for command ;p

But seriously, Whiteout was the best of the bad maps we could choose from. The whole game took a better turn when I didn't command (If you could even call it commanding...) and we won on Goldrush. 

Ah well, maybe next time I'll be in a better game mood. But after the 3rd game losing harv battles and getting pushed back (Like in Canyon, which we started good), I really gave up hope...

Let's see how the next pug goes :)

I'd thought i'd do a writeup of some sort. Give me a shout if i miss something.

@TK0104 3-0 @Schmitzenbergh

Gobi: Nod Thommy [Full-base] > Schmit GDI

Both teams go for Harvester. Team Schmit overcommited on Nod harvester, leaving their center undefended. Two infantry from Nod walk into their WF from the center and causes a large portion of GDI's force to divert to defend. As a result, GDI Harvester dies and NOD harvester returns unharmed. Once again, two more people sneak into GDI's WF though it is quickly shut down. GDI donates to get a early Mammoth to defend but it overextends and quickly falls to mass Arties.  GDI Sadness ensues.

Canyon: GDI Thommy [-Airstrip] > Schmit Nod

Team Thommy all-ins on GDI's Harvester meanwhile team Schmit all-ins on a tunnel rush to WF. Noticing a lack of opposition, team Thommy redirects to kill Airstrip. Both teams succeed.  GDI immediately commits to a rocket/gunner rush through tunnel to Ref but is spotted before arriving. The rush gains a armour break and some permanent damage before dying completely. Nod commits to series of Mendoza rushs both through field and tunnels but with limited success. In the meantime GDI holds the field with a couple APCs, giving them free reign over the Silo and harvesters. Eventually, GDI goes for a APC-Ion rush to Nod's Ref and Nod fails to provide sufficient AT to kill the APCs. Nod Ref dies. Nod tries to go for a cheap rocket rush through tunnels but fails to do so before GDI's second APC-Ion wave hits. The APCs die, but sniper cover keeps the Ions up. GDI wins.

I should also mention at some point (not sure when) @DarkSn4ke and @Havoc89 decided they quite liked GDI's Ref and politely asked one of Nod's rush to leave  (murdering them horribly).

Xmountian: Nod Thommy [Full-base] > Schmit GDI

Team Thommy goes for a balanced attack/defense while team Schmit goes for a infantry rush to Hon/AIr. GDI's rush fails, though Nod also fails to take GDI's harvester. GDI goes for the standard Med rollout, Nod with a Arty/Light composition. The Meds rolls over much of the initial Arty force, but are unable to protect their field repairs from the remaining infantry. A lack of adequate field repairs made it impossible to hold field and the second wave of Arty/Lights regains the field. Nod locks GDI in their base with Adv.Engie support and rotates fire across their buildings until Ref falls. The remaining tanks are cleaned up and GDI's base soon follows.

Generally a pretty standard game plan for team Thommy, but adapting when needed. Many rushs from team Schmit but a lack of a follow-up. 

Edited by Xeon Wraith
I copy-pasta a wrong thing.
  • Like 4

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic