Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

Saturdays PUG - 20th May 2017

Commanders: @CampinJeff & @TK0104 [not sure about Thommy though xD] ~16vs17 [most of the time]

Match 1 - Eyes [Team Thommy pick]

Nod won the harvester battle and started to max out vehicles (for some reason everyone got arties...) with a vehicle limit of 8 Nod had a bunch of field repairs and captured the Tiberium cave, the lower & upper route. GDI managed to push Nod back with meds & hotties.

Nod gathered stankz, while GDI prepared a chinook rush. Stankz intercepted the chinooks, the following stank rush resolved in perma to AGT (& GDI Ref?).

Several other rushes were planned but failed. Nod destroyed almost every GDI harvy, having VP & economy advantage the whole time. When Nod had ~6-7 Elite players we did a rocket rush to GDI Bar, while @Quincy placed a nuke at GDI PP (he was a grenadier spy).

Nod got barracks down to ~33 perma, for some reason the spy nuke was succesfull :) GDI surrendered afterwards

1-0

Match 2 - Mesa [Team Thommy pick]

Yagi had to leave for work and teams were rebalanced. As @Ukill had nothing to do last match (base defence), he & @Hackerham were swapped to Team Thommy [15 vs 16 now].

Nod won the harvy battle and started to max out arties (what else - it's Mesa :D). For a short moment, GDI was able to hold Nod back, but then Nod dealt perma to GDI Ref [down to 4] and AGT and Barracks.

Having the economic & VP advantage all the time, Nod rushed the GDI PP with 3 Raveshaws (failed), then lost the short route [GDI had Mammoth tanks now] and GDI eventually dealt perma to Nod Ref, while stankz rushed the barracks and destroyed it.

Fighting against heroic flamers & arties without hottie-repairs.... wasn't that successfull and GDI lost.

1-1

Match 3 - Complex [Team jeff pick]

Nod went for Silo while GDI performed a soldier rush which... for some reason failed. Nod started an arty party, got pushed back by meds, restocked arties, stankz, flamers and won... [sorry, maybe someone else should writ the recap for Complex :D]

2-1

Good games, nice starting soldier rush on Complex. But I know that @CampinJeff was very unhappy on Mesa. Too many players ignored his orders and went for the long instead of the short route.

• Like 1

Good games overall.

Mesa and Complex were much more intense than Eyes. If you ask me why... it's been months and Eyes still needs a vehicle limit of at least 12. Neither of the teams could pull out a proper rush with such a small vehicle limit.

36 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

for some reason the spy nuke was succesfull

I killed one of the hotwires, but the other killed me and had about 10 seconds to disarm the nuke (it was on the roof, not hidden in any way so I'm sure she saw it). I'm not sure how long it takes for an adv. engi to disarm a nuke (and whether veterancy helps with it), but it must have been very close.

Edited by Quincy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Quincy said:

I killed one of the hotwires, but the other killed me and had about 10 seconds to disarm the nuke (it was on the roof, not hidden in anyway so I'm sure she saw it). I'm not sure how long it takes for an adv. engi to disarm a nuke (and whether veterancy helps with it), but it must have been very close.

1 Techie / Hottie (Recruit) needs 10 seconds to disarm a beacon.

12 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Mesa and Complex were much more intense than Eyes. If you ask me why... it's been months and Eyes still needs a vehicle limit of at least 12.

@yosh56 / @DaKuja

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quincy said:

Good games overall.

Mesa and Complex were much more intense than Eyes. If you ask me why... it's been months and Eyes still needs a vehicle limit of at least 12. Neither of the teams could pull out a proper rush with such a small vehicle limit.

I killed one of the hotwires, but the other killed me and had about 10 seconds to disarm the nuke (it was on the roof, not hidden in any way so I'm sure she saw it). I'm not sure how long it takes for an adv. engi to disarm a nuke (and whether veterancy helps with it), but it must have been very close.

First, can both teams hit buildings from the range Nod hit the Bar in the field? There was no fucking way a regular infantry can even do damage to the rocket soldiers from that range.

Second, that whole thing was bullshit with the nuke. How does it not get disarmed?

That was the ONE match I got to play for the day. LeSigh.

• Totem Arts Staff

At least every Dev can just change the Limit to 12 or what ever, it dosn't need my work too, because lack of time and very slow connection.
Its more easier if some of the Dev just change the Number and put the new Eyes into the next Patch.

I think that what for us (team Jeff) to win Mesa, we would require *superior* communication.
We had decent communication, we got info quickly enough to react in most cases (we saved Ref from imminent destruction what, three times?).

But to get proper resource-distribution, we would require really superior communication.
I do not agree with the idea that *everyone* should be on short side. In that case we would completely lose economy.
To be completely honest, I was not exactly sure what our distribution is, how many tanks do we have on each side.
I don't like to press M and stop playing the game just to see what is going on on the battlefield. I would love to see minimap with that functionality.
But the fact that we did not have enough tanks on the short side at all times indicates that either not whole team listened well to the players who reported the state of the battlefield or not whole team unerstood the priorities on the map.

Also, is it intentional that short side is made so that Nod has nice picnic place for all the artys while GDI has to fight uphill battle and snipe artys between the rocks? Is that not a bit unbalanced?

14 hours ago, YagiHige said:

First, can both teams hit buildings from the range Nod hit the Bar in the field? There was no fucking way a regular infantry can even do damage to the rocket soldiers from that range.

Second, that whole thing was bullshit with the nuke. How does it not get disarmed?

I did not know it is possible either. On one hand, it feels very exploitable to me.
But on the other hand, you need really organised team with very leveled players to be actually able to use that "explot".

Second, @Quincy has superior infiltration and beacon-defense skills.

Reason why we lost is because we had tanks going on the long side while Nod had full control of the short side. The reason why you should never allow Nod to take control of the short side is because they can shoot 4 buildings (Ref, Bar, AGT, WF) with artillery, and leaving the fifth building (PP) open for infiltration. If you rush vehicles (800) to the long side as GDI, your defenders will be overwhelmed by the time the tanks reach the Nod refinery by a typical coordinated Nod team (450) in the short side. Even then, Artys on the short side can easily turn 180 degrees to defensive mode and deal with tanks from the long side in the Nod base. Only until GDI has control of the short side, they can then lurk some tanks on the long side. Because of this, we gave up way too many armor breaks giving Nod a huge VP advantage and the barracks with half HP for the stank rush later. 

If GDI is really desperate to control Nod's economy they don't even have to send tanks to the long side and instead have a hotwire camp the tower

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
6 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Reason why we lost is because we had tanks going on the long side while Nod had full control of the short side. The reason why you should never allow Nod to take control of the short side is because they can shoot 4 buildings (Ref, Bar, AGT, WF) with artillery, and leaving the fifth building (PP) open for infiltration. If you rush vehicles (800) to the long side as GDI, your defenders will be overwhelmed by the time the tanks reach the Nod refinery by a typical coordinated Nod team (450) in the short side. Even then, Artys on the short side can easily turn 180 degrees to defensive mode and deal with tanks from the long side in the Nod base. Only until GDI has control of the short side, they can then lurk some tanks on the long side. Because of this, we gave up way too many armor breaks giving Nod a huge VP advantage and the barracks with half HP for the stank rush later. 

If GDI is really desperate to control Nod's economy they don't even have to send tanks to the long side and instead have a hotwire camp the tower

It was more like we controlled both sides and used everything available to us.

I understand the long path isn't as important but there is a harvester there.  We had at least one or two people on the long route at all times killing  the harv denying your team of funds while gaining vp at the same time.

Since we had the harv we were able to bounce back quickly whenever you take the short route by calling in airstrikes forcing you to back out.  How many airstrikes did you guys call in to scare us away?

1 hour ago, LavaDr4gon said:

It was more like we controlled both sides and used everything available to us.

I understand the long path isn't as important but there is a harvester there.  We had at least one or two people on the long route at all times killing  the harv denying your team of funds while gaining vp at the same time.

Since we had the harv we were able to bounce back quickly whenever you take the short route by calling in airstrikes forcing you to back out.  How many airstrikes did you guys call in to scare us away?

Because your team had control of the short side for the majority of the game, people on your team could lurk around the rest of the map without having to worry about their base getting ripped apart.

Having arts pound 4 buildings while raveshaws constantly rush PP requires almost everybody on your team running in circles defending while attempting to push Nod back. Using the 8 vehicle count and having meds go long route while the base is sieged is why we lost, because they're not shooting artillery. It doesn't have to take vehicles to destroy a harvester; like I said one hotwire could do it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Because your team had control of the short side for the majority of the game, people on your team could lurk around the rest of the map without having to worry about their base getting ripped apart.

Having arts pound 4 buildings while raveshaws constantly rush PP requires almost everybody on your team running in circles defending while attempting to push Nod back. Using the 8 vehicle count and having meds go long route while the base is sieged is why we lost, because they're not shooting artillery. It doesn't have to take vehicles to destroy a harvester; like I said one hotwire could do it. 

Heck, you don't actually need to have meds actually shoot the arties - so long as the arties are shooting your tanks and not killing your buildings. It is considerably harder to repair 4 different buildings than it is to repair a few short-side tanks after all. Of course, shooting someone is pretty good way of getting their attention.

Also unless if Nod seriously overextends during the first push, they'll usually become self-sustaining on building damage and tank kills alone. Killing Nod harvester might help GDI's VP gain but is unlikely to affect Nod very much.

7 hours ago, Gliven said:

Neat; I see that you have been mining in the way that I usually do. Personally I prefer this kind of mining, using leftover mines to mark every building door with different amounts of mines rather than using the leftover to cover infantry paths. It is not foolproof, but it does give a lead where a single infiltrator probably is and possibly minimize searching times. I recall matches where buildings blew up because players have to look through every building and the last one they look for is usually the one with the sneaky player, and by then it is usually too late.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jarzey said:

Neat; I see that you have been mining in the way that I usually do. Personally I prefer this kind of mining, using leftover mines to mark every building door with different amounts of mines rather than using the leftover to cover infantry paths. It is not foolproof, but it does give a lead where a single infiltrator probably is and possibly minimize searching times. I recall matches where buildings blew up because players have to look through every building and the last one they look for is usually the one with the sneaky player, and by then it is usually too late.

Also, this is a good point for anyone listening. Mine your ref with 2 mines, and your pp with 2 a door. When you get an infiltrator, 2 mines mean search ref/pp, any more than 2 mines mean search something more serious.

Having different per door is a pretty pro strat. I adopted it myself, as it's strat and not technical based. You pretty much split your base into 2 searchable halves when you do this, rather than every building as likely as the other, until you find it way too late to respond.

• Like 1

Guest Gliven
15 hours ago, Jarzey said:

Funny enough, whenever i try to do this in a public game. People try to mine ban me for "over-mining"

9 hours ago, YagiHige said:

Also, this is a good point for anyone listening. Mine your ref with 2 mines, and your pp with 2 a door. When you get an infiltrator, 2 mines mean search ref/pp, any more than 2 mines mean search something more serious.

Having different per door is a pretty pro strat. I adopted it myself, as it's strat and not technical based. You pretty much split your base into 2 searchable halves when you do this, rather than every building as likely as the other, until you find it way too late to respond.

Depending on the amount of players and size of the base, you may also get away with 1 mine per door. Personally I would mine every building with different amounts if the mine limit allows so. The hassle of adopting such strategy may come either from remembering how many mines a door is supposed to have... or trying to explain other defenders not yet accustomed to this strategy what I did.

1 hour ago, Gliven said:

Funny enough, whenever i try to do this in a public game. People try to mine ban me for "over-mining"

People are just too used to see the usual 3 mines per door, and this kind of mining is exotic and out of place for those not used to it.

Edited by Jarzey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gliven said:

Can't really be helped if people don't question the standards. A similar thing also occurs with getting out of tanks due to the risk of having it stolen, despite there being many ways to minimize the risk and many benefits to reap.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 5:34 PM, Jarzey said:

People are just too used to see the usual 3 mines per door, and this kind of mining is exotic and out of place for those not used to it.

What's exotic to some, is erotic to me. There's a method to our madness, they'll thank us when we save the structures.

I might be a few mins later than normal too. I'll just join the ts channel early (with afk name) and join when i can. just so i dont have to poke everyone asking about the pass.

10 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Not this week, but sometime later we're going to try running the pugs on the CT discord.

https://discordapp.com/invite/wmaSC3K

mmm guess i'll have to get discord... again, make a new account... again and figure out how it works...... AGAIN

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Norc said:

Couldn't be there, sorry.

Could I ask for a bit more detailed recap please? Or did someone record and I should just wait for recordings to get uploaded?

Well sit back and enjoy!

Round 1: Tunnels

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Norc said:

Could I ask for a bit more detailed recap please?

Team Me vs. Team Jeff

Round 1 - Tunnels:
Round starts with your average "Who can defend his harvester?"-battle. Both teams lose their initial harvester as well as the one after. Nod pumps out arties, as well as repairs, while GDI gets a couple of MLRS and mediums right after. After multiple flanking attempts by GDI, which were surprisingly damaging to Nods attack efforts, Nod regains momentum and pumps out more arties and stanks. First falls the PP, then refinery, GDI surrenders and gets finished off by a swarm of vehicles.

Round 2 - Mesa (aka. oh boy, what would YOU expect here?):
Once again your average race for the harvester with a pint of silo happens. While Nod successfully destroys GDIs harvester first, GDI claims the silo for itself, and after a daring chase for the harvester Nod lost theirs too. What ensued was your average "Who can fill the field faster" with GDI pumping APCs and Gunners and Nod pumping arties and techs. Your average Mesa fight breaks out, clashing back and forth, with Nod trying to use flame tanks and light tanks on the long route to engage GDI troops, however those were intercepted by units crossing the bridge. A building after the other falls, Nod surrenders. 

Round 3 - Crash Site:
I don't even remember the exact details due to the length of the match. Nod had the Silo early on, it was a constant struggle for both Silo and Abandoned Weapons Factory, with some infantry going through the ship. After Nod losing the Airstrip to infiltration and GDI losing the refinery to bombardment, Nod started draining out GDIs funds by wiping vehicle after vehicle, while GDI effortlessly destroyed most of Nods vehicles. But thanks to the abandoned weapons factory, Nod could always keep up two titans and a couple of wolverines. After a prolonged siege while Nods forces attacked with infantry, GDI lost building after building, surrendering in the process, accelerating Nods victory.

3 Me - 0 Jeff

Good games, Crash Site took the longest, all games were somewhat interesting individually, even Mesa, due to the opposing team still trying to do extraordinary strategies. 

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, Norc said:

From what I see, it was a really awesome PUG.
Hopefully I can join next week.

Depends what team you ask. 

Crash Site was about the only one I liked.. Mesa was the beginning of me going from casually drinking... to ending up through 3/4 of a bottle in an unacceptable time-span. 

• Like 3

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic