Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

What to say.. 3 one-sided matches due to one-sided teams.

Healers got MVP on Team 1 [Schmitz] all the time.

Even if Team 1 had better individual players I doubt that we would have won, cuz the other team was too well-rehearsed, while we had communication problems. [E.g.: 3 Snipers for almost whole Complex while we decided that Ks.ol is our ONLY sniper etc.]

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• 2 weeks later...

Would be nice to know for sure ahead of time, but I already know it's not for me. I'm blowing up a couple left-over premium firework shells that night, even thought it doesn't conflict with the PUG, it does conflict with getting comfortable before work, and that used to not bother me, but fool me 12 times, shame on me, I'm using that time for tea and chill.

Wait, you mean... this PUG will have a very limited playerbase...?
giphy.gif

...I might show up after all. Worse case scenario, it'll have enough people to play without me, and I divert to original plans... or it'll not have enough to start even including myself, and I'll... divert to original plans.

Perhaps I should order a pizza, and make myself a New Year's Eve drink to go along with it.

EDIT: Still ordering the pizza, but it's to eat at work, car horn for car inspection took until an hour into the PUG, so sorry guys.

Jan 1 2017 Sunday PUG

Team @Schmitzenbergh 2 - 1 Team @Madkill40

1. Mesa:
Team @Schmitzenbergh (GDI) lost PP quickly due to Confuser sneaking. I shouted out defend PP but the response time was not enough. Lesson learned: have a fixed defender in PP while another defender move around base for Refinery and other buildings. After a long battle (~50 minutes) Team @Madkill40 (Nod) won by flamer + stank combined multi-target rush.

2. Xmountain:
Team @Schmitzenbergh (Nod) destroyed Team @Madkill40 (GDI)'s PP early since @BlackMamba swapped stank + tech with @TONY-STARK's SBH. Nod tanks locked GDI vehicles in base while all but one GDI sneaker (Confuser) got denied. Nod destroyed GDI Refinery by @CampinJeff and @TONY-STARK multi nuked while vehicles focusing fire on Refinery. At the same time Confuser destroyed Nod Airstrip but it was already too late. Team @Schmitzenbergh had so big advantage in economy, forcing Team @Madkill40 to surrender.

3. Gobi:
Team @Schmitzenbergh (GDI) destroyed the 1st enemy Harvester and saved theirs. I personally think it was already GG at this point. Then GDI kept rolling out tanks and locked down Nod in base. Nod buildings got destroyed one by one while GDI base had 0 damage for 99% of the time.

Edited by Boomer
  • Like 2

Jan 1 2017 Sunday PUG

Team @Schmitzenbergh 2 - 1 Team @Madkill40

1. Mesa

The goal was to go for the economy at the beginning and by golly did we manage to kill GDI's harvester whilst keeping our own intact, avoiding the typical flame rush for PP, we were able to keep our Harvester alive which gave us an early edge but throughout most of the game the Nod base was being battered by GDI vehicles on the short route consistently throughout the match which had most my attention, I hadn't even noticed the GDI PP was dead until I entered the GDI base with a Flame tank from the long route 15 minutes into the game. I kinda held off on ordering a flame tank rush, the flame tanks were good tank killers and at times UKill and myself were picking off the stray med tank or MRLS on the long side whilst the rest of the team kept the GDI vehicles at bay, there were some really close calls with our buildings and rarely was infantry a tactic in this map. Lights, Stanks, Ftanks and Artys were in full swing this round. 

2. XMountain

We kept our harvester alive but this was not enough to get the desired med tanks, so whilst some got an MRLS out some of us held off until we could get our first meds and for a time it was good but then everything fell apart when the Nod Stank attacked and plunged the GDI base to being powerless, with 1200 a med and Nod bulldozing the infantry path with snipers there was little we could do, we used our entrance as a bottleneck with 3 meds but were struggling to obtain more for a decent push, we failed to get an upper-hand.

3. Gobi

This was voted to be short and sweet, no real care who won as the map is fairly balanced provided economy goes well, alas the Brotherhood failed to keep their harvester alive despite all of our best efforts, like the previous two games we held our own but like with XMountain this was not enough, Arty's were a waste of money and we should have saved a little bit longer for Light Tanks and Flames to better defend and take back the field.

Overall, the games were good and lasted nicely, each game being shorter than the last rounded the whole PUG off very nicely. Thanks for all who turned up and for dealing with a guy in Command who has been out of the game for over a month. :D

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade X - PUG (January 1st 2016)

Round 1: Mesa

It's the first time I'm talking in a mic so I was still a bit shy :P Expect in future videos I won't be anymore......

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 2

Walls

Nod won the harvester battle and put a lot of pressure on GDI in the early game, dealing perma damage to ref with arty spam. But 10 minutes later GDI managed to recover and took control of the plateau for roughly the rest of the game. It took a long time to destroy the first building, but finally Nod refinery fell to orca rush with a chinook flying to PP as decoy. Nod answered with SBH outside c4 rush and almost finished GDI refinery off. Soon after Nod base crumbled to orcas & ions.

Complex

The best game of the evening. At the start GDI attempted a gunner rush for airstrip, got spotted early and annihilated. Nod's response of arties & light tanks left WF with only 10 health. After that the game looked even for a while. Both refineries fell within a minute of each other to a tech & hotty. Since then both teams tried different kinds of rushes. GDI went for a couple of med rushes and a rocket rush - they dealt some perma damage to both HoN and strip, but failed to destroy either. Meanwhile 3 stanks with the help of a decoy nuke destroyed the barracks and a couple minutes later stanks again - with the help of an infiltrating raveshaw - destroyed the WF.

XMountain

Nothing happens for the first ~10 minutes and then a sneaky hotwire destroys Nod ref, which allows GDI to finish the game with tanks soon enough. Nod's desperation light tank rush wasn't bad though.

Team Quincy/Tony - Team Kryp 3-0, ggs but maybe a little too much saltiness on the losing side.

• Like 1

I'd complain about my team... but even if I wanted to attend a PUG, and I know people would like me to not to... my job closes 1 hr earlier, and has me come in 1 hour earlier, so I come in 2 hours after PUG is scheduled to start. It NEVER starts right on time, so I'll continue not to bother unless my schedule allows.

The PUG was fun for the first 2 maps.

I really can't retrace why Nod lost Walls :/Team Kryp had all the advantages. GDI lost their harvester and didn'v even get close to destroy Nod's. I guess the reason Nod lost was the 2nd. GDI harvy [just 2 Nod players attacked it at all xD]. With cash form the harvy drop and donating each other (e.g. I donated @Quincy so he could get a Sydney, others donated for orcas etc.)

Then Nod lost the plateau and never got it back. Without the plateau Nod wasn't able to use their sniper advantage ;)End of the map. :o

Conclusion: While some GDI players started Walls with the feeling: "We're going to get our assed kicked...! :(" GDI managed to recover from the initial harvy loss and practised very well teamwork - using standard tactics only!! [By the way: I was repair-bitch for ~99% of the map. @KrypTheBear was the only one who every tried to distrub me while repairing tons of Orcas and the snipers....]

2nd map - Complex. We weren't sure why you decided to pick Complex as Nod [Team @Quincy] has so many strategic advantages on this map.

As on Walls we [Team Quincy] used standard tatics only - the start of the map was the only time during the PUG when the team didn't follow orders. During the start we've decided to go for Scary LTs but then we got 3 artilleries instead. @Quincy saved Nod as he got GDI Ref some seconds before BlackMamba sneaked into Nod Ref...

When Nod destroyed GDI barrackes the map was almost over. We had some dedicated @poi ❄ hunters [dunno if they were successful tough xD]

Conclusion: Nod won due to their tanker advantage.

3rd map - Xmountain: @KrypTheBear ragequitted the server after some minutes, while team 1 players started.... verbal fights in global chat - end of the map.

Summary: While both teams had experienced players on the individual basis Team 1 didn't manage to execute their CiCs orders.... While Team 2 had an excellent chiefs: @TONY-STARK starring as King with @Quincy as Hand-of-the-King!

While Tony was responsible for the frolic atmospthere, Quincy dealt with the excecutive stuff. But.... when when we were on the bright side of RenX life Quincy stopped commanding and started sniping instead - leaving @TONY-STARK as one and only CiC again :D

And Team² had the better tankers.. :)

!rec Tony | Quin | denuvian | Xeon | Thommy | Gliven | Redarmy | Schmitz | and all the other members of team² [solrry can't remember all the names...]

Regards,

Sn4ke

PS: I think next time teams should get picked by players who actually know the other players skill / attitude / manner / grit :)

Edited by DarkSn4ke
  • Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

I had fun from what I can remember. I may have been exceptionally sloshed for that one. All I remember is defendin' with @Madkill40... Mmm, Couldn't say where offense went wrong, since I wasn't commanding it. I just remember wondering how on Earth we fell for a Tranny decoy when there was an Orca rush on the other side......

• Like 1

@DarkSn4ke Haha i ended up dying by a shotgunner so nice:3 

Forgot to mention: @Ryz you gotta stop trying to make rushes while your team only has 3 veh's on walls. It's not only about rushing, It's about defending your base aswell and fight out of your base, You "NEVER" rush on walls when they have hill control it's just stupid and the risk of letting your base die "specially in pugs" is just, stupid. 

Edited by poi ❄
  • Like 3

I'm glad that most people had fun from what I recall, I've recieved some feedback about my commanding and I can see lots of potential for becoming a better commander.

But in all honesty, I didn't really enjoy this one. This was one of my least favorite PUGs yet. Perhaps the worst one from my perspective.

First things first, I won't command. Not with certain people in my team and not for a while. If I keep hearing stupid suggestions back and forth (Tranny rush while GDI has the plateau with 5 orcas) instead of just doing what you're told to do, and we try to execute these poorly thought ideas, then this just isn't fun. This was even before I said on Walls "I need a break from commanding for a sec". Like what the fuck dude. If you want to command then say so at the beginning of the fucking PUG. Not throwing any names here. Then when I say "Get Arties and Apaches" that doesn't mean by any way or form light tanks or stealth tanks. When I say get LCGs and Engies/Techs that doesn't mean Black Hand Snipers, especially since we already have our dedicated sniper ( !rec @poi ❄ for those sweet 50 kills on Walls), if you do otherwise ask your commander if it's alright. Otherwise I'm just wondering "Where are my repairs? Where are my LCGs? Oh they are sniping in our base!" If you are being toxic towards your team "Oh mein Gott what the fack are you doing" and nothing else, again not pointing any fingers, then maybe you should just get off voice comms. 

This PUG has kind of killed my mood. If nobody listens except for a couple of people (Huge huge thanks goes to: @yosh56 for getting drunk and keeping our base safe, @Madkill40 for trying to keep the mood chipper and being our secondary base defender, @Agent and @poi ❄ for listening to every single order I made, starting from Walls and ending in X-Mountain, and everyone else who was patient with me as commander and actually tried listening to me (e.g. that one LCG that tried running up the Plateau on Walls with me, or everyone who was repairing people during Complex) ) then that just cannot work. This isn't a public match. This is the PUG. If you don't like your commanders orders, be a commander yourself next time. If you don't feel like playing in a team then PUGs may not be really a thing for you. Anywho, I will stay as a normal player during the PUG, maybe help during player selection, but I won't command. 

And here, big apology for me ragequitting during X-Mountain. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrypTheBear said:

Then when I say "Get Arties and Apaches" that doesn't mean by any way or form light tanks or stealth tanks. When I say get LCGs and Engies/Techs that doesn't mean Black Hand Snipers, especially since we already have our dedicated sniper ( !rec @poi ❄ for those sweet 50 kills on Walls), if you do otherwise ask your commander if it's alright. Otherwise I'm just wondering "Where are my repairs? Where are my LCGs? Oh they are sniping in our base!"

I feel you bro.  k7cr4JF.png

I come play PUGs with hope that I will be able to trust my team.
If I can't trust teammates to keep the base alive while I'm in the field doing some damage, or if I can't trust them to provide relevant info from the happenings on the field, I also get salty AF.

But that is a problem of perspective:
I believe myself to have my priorities in order, to know what is the best thing to do in certain situation. But that's my personal perspective.
What if my idea about the best action is not as good as idea from someone else.
Should I insist that my idea will work?
Should I follow someone's idea even if I am convinced that it has low chance of success?

Would it make sense to have teamwork exercises on pre-PUG instead of just dicking around?
Would that in any way help resolve the issue with bad mood / morale in PUGs?

Edited by Norc
Removed TK0104's video since he posted it in post below

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade X - PUG Game - January 7th 2016

Round 1: Walls

Round 2: Complex

Online: January 9th 2017

Round 3: Xmountain

Online: January 10th 2017

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norc said:

Should I insist that my idea will work?

You're the commander. If you're having an idea then you must insist on it working, otherwise you're just making suggestions. Of course one can ask the team "How about option xyz or option zyx" and thus giving the players the possibility of working together on a plan. But this must work quickly otherwise the execution of such a plan can be prolonged and it ends in the typical "We needed 15 minutes to assemble a rush" problem.

Should I follow someone's idea even if I am convinced that it has low chance of success?

Depends on whose idea it is. If it's the commander's then just follow your commander's orders. Even if you disagree with your commander, say your concerns, if he doesn't change his mind stick with his plan.

Would it make sense to have teamwork exercises on pre-PUG instead of just dicking around?

What do you have in mind? 

Eh, I think it has something to do with one's mood before the PUG begins. Or depending on how teammates behave during the PUG. If everyone listens and everyone tries to not do too much solo-shit then it's more fun for everyone (at least in my opinion), I prefer being groundstomped while trying some nice and crazy strategies instead of prolonged stalemates where nobody is really doing anything together as a team. 

3 minutes ago, KrypTheBear said:

What do you have in mind? 

Eh, I think it has something to do with one's mood before the PUG begins. Or depending on how teammates behave during the PUG. If everyone listens and everyone tries to not do too much solo-shit then it's more fun for everyone (at least in my opinion), I prefer being groundstomped while trying some nice and crazy strategies instead of prolonged stalemates where nobody is really doing anything together as a team. 

problem with teamwork exercices is... once teams are picked, players want to start playing.

Commanders should just avoid to put certain players together :/ (I know it's a hard job xD you cant make everyone happy...)

What I really don't get is that this was one of the evenings where I didn't complain that much. It was even said to me after the game (when I returned, was afk for 30 minutes directly after Xmountain ended). The PUG wasn't great, but not bad at all. At some point I said that we at least died fighting instead of just being overrun with zero defence effort, so I also made positive criticism. 

And if I complained it's about the same stuff @KrypTheBear and some other did. On both Walls, Complex and Xmountain I mainly followed the orders @yosh56 and @KrypTheBear gave alongside @Madkill40. Sometimes, even with a lot of money in the team, I had to wait quite a while to get the 'prefered by commander vehicle' cause some teammates ignored donate request several times. Something even @yosh56 mentioned.  As far as I recall a lot of people just didn't follow the plans (but that's usually behaviour for on a PUG for some, cause they play it to have a PUB experience...).  Later on walls, after we tried so many things but never reached half the amount of people we needed, I suggested some 'stupid' attacks yeah, after proposing this to the team and after feedback from @yosh56: "You are going to be the Delta Force and do special stuff with 3 ppl, and so on..." One of these rushes did quite some damage damage to the ref.

Only on Xmountain I got, sort of, mad once and later corrected myself @poi ❄. I was kinda wrong in the fact that people didn't respond to mines, cause they did but were too far away. But during rushes they didn't respond well often  (both on Walls where we could have done waay more perma damage with arties, but where ppl broke of the siege to save their vehicle and on Xmountain where a big part of the vehicles just hitted random stuff while we were doing perma damage..) 

And @poi ❄. Maybe I should call 'rushes' an attack. What I tried several times on Walls was to hit the ref from the field. We did some serious damage but some people backed off. Later we never tried again, even when GDI momentarily lost control of the plateau due a failed Orca rush. 

If you ask me I am more than down for PUG's where the commander has more control. Not sure how to do this since spoken words get ignored, but maybe give a commander a way to force a sniper / SBH limit or disable sudden vehicles or set a limit? It would be way more fun for me if the teamplay was really good. I remember some games a while ago where I defended for the most part, but where the team was so solid organized and responding that it was even fun to listen to. I know I am not realistic to see this every game, but would really love that kind of behavior on PUG's again. Talked to Machette about this yesterday after the game and he also has the opinion that it sometimes sounds like it's more a fun game, than a competitive play for some people. 

Guess till next week saturday for another one, pretty sure I can make it now I am done with moving and family troubles!

• Like 1

What we needed on Walls was a technician positioned next to poi (the ledge of the big rock), repairing apaches so we could take the top. Tried to explain but there was too much going on.

Todays PUG was good, the Crash Site round, exciting until the end and well balanced teams.

22 minutes ago, Henk said:

What we needed on Walls was a technician positioned next to poi (the ledge of the big rock), repairing apaches so we could take the top. Tried to explain but there was too much going on.

that was pretty much exactly what I was doing on Walls the whole time xD

• Like 1

Had fun today on the PUG, it was my first one. lol

Got a quick question, though. How do I use the private message function? I don't remember how exactly it was on the original Renegade since I haven't played it in forever but I imagine it's probably similar. I hit "U" and I have a text box come up..but I'm not entirely sure how I am supposed to use it.

I'm asking because I had boi repeatedly message me in game and I wasn't sure how to reply. He kept asking me if I was in the TS channel of the team I was playing on, which I kept saying on TS that I was, but apparently he didn't hear me. I'm guessing my mic broadcasts at a low level or something on TS. Hardly anyone heard me in a group of 12 but I had no issues with a group of 4.

28 minutes ago, Hohndo said:

Had fun today on the PUG, it was my first one. lol

Got a quick question, though. How do I use the private message function? I don't remember how exactly it was on the original Renegade since I haven't played it in forever but I imagine it's probably similar. I hit "U" and I have a text box come up..but I'm not entirely sure how I am supposed to use it.

I'm asking because I had boi repeatedly message me in game and I wasn't sure how to reply. He kept asking me if I was in the TS channel of the team I was playing on, which I kept saying on TS that I was, but apparently he didn't hear me. I'm guessing my mic broadcasts at a low level or something on TS. Hardly anyone heard me in a group of 12 but I had no issues with a group of 4.

Hit U and type out the persons name, then type the message

13 hours ago, Henk said:

Noticed only 1 techie there at one point and I was dropping LCGs there as much as i could (not as often as i'd wanted, kept getting overrun by orcas and stuff).

Machette also requested a tech numerous times on the plateau. I got dropped of there a few times and killed immediately. Well next time better!

15 hours ago, Ryz said:

And @poi ❄. Maybe I should call 'rushes' an attack. What I tried several times on Walls was to hit the ref from the field. We did some serious damage but some people backed off. Later we never tried again, even when GDI momentarily lost control of the plateau due a failed Orca rush. 

They never really lost hill control they had still many pics on there, And they had many orcas coming again kryp said the whole game get "apaches" in the meantime you were trying to make a rush with 5 people when we had 2/3 veh's that whole time.. the few people that joined you could be sitting in a apache and help the team taking back control, But nope.. all you wanna do is attack that 1 building that had perm damage instead of working your way towards actually being able to do something in the field without getting shrekt by orca's such as your tranny rush or something, I am not trying to be mean or anything i am just saying you need to think about your base situation more and what your team is actually doing. and what your team does not have.. try to think less about rushing and you will be way less cranky all the time about your "team" not "listening" when they "can't".. ^_^

• Like 2

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic