Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

Yeap, I did not know about the new cave route. I thought the map was still stupidly Nod favoured, and becouse I spawned in HoN I went to attack WF as ordered.

The team I got assigned to was really struggling.We only put up any fight on Xmountain and on Mesa beforehand (which we won with constant arty pressure, harvester snipes and silo control). The rest was mostly a disaster,

• Totem Arts Staff

Team Quincy vs. Team Ryz

1.  Tomb

Nod destroys the harv and masses flame tanks.  The flamers moved into the GDI base causing a distraction for four infantry to walk into the wf and destroyed it.  Another flame rush with nukes and infantry came in to finish the rest of the GDI base.  Nod victory.

2.  Mesa

GDI fails at a rocket rush against Nod then Nod responds with endless arties.  The arties+tech+snipers were overwhelming against GDI destroying the ref then bar.  GDI surrenders.  Nod victory.

3.  Tunnels

GDI attempts a grenadier rush against the Hon and broke the armor.  Nod responds with an apc rush and failed.  GDI fights back with a med rush that breaks airstrips armor.  Then the tanks on both sides battled it out on the field while the GDI base was infiltrated and lost their wf and ref.  Nod attempts a stank rush against GDI pp and brought it down to  11 health.  GDI attempts an infantry rush on the Hon and fails, prompting them to surrender.  Nod victory.

4.  Volcano

GDI plans Mcfarland rush, Nod plans flamer rush.  GDI team was quicker and made it to the Nod pp while Nod was leaving their base causing them to abort.  The pp goes down so Nod tries their flame rush again but fails.  GDI steadily rolls in meds into the Nod base finishing them off.  GDI victory.

Xmountain

Nod attempts a buggy rush with an apc and fails.  Nod then attempts a quadruple nuke on all four buildings.  GDI quickly responds and disarms all four nukes.  Nod then takes over the field with tanks while an sbh squad reduces the GDI pp's health to 51.  Then an infiltrator destroys the bar.  The same sbh squad with the help of the tanks finish off the pp causing GDI to surrender.  Then the whole map is nuked.  Nod victory.

6.  Walls

GDI goes in first with an apc rush.  Fails.  Then GDI goes in from the air with a chinook.  The tranny rush failed but bought time for an infiltration on the airstrip.  Air goes down.  Nod responds with their double tranny rush full of infantry and land on top of wf.  They placed their c4 on the roof and went for ref but were shut down and the wf took no permanent damage.  GDI attempts a gunner tranny rush and fails but again allowed the Nod pp to be destroyed by an infiltrator.  Nod surrenders.  GDI victory.

Team Quincy wins 5-1 against ryz.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YagiHige said:

well, maybe Quinc3y planned it and didn't tell us

Yes I did. Infiltrating is so much easier when the enemy team is busy. Nevertheless, a good team will watch mines at all times and tbh team Ryz was all over Barracks quickly. The only reason why I managed to destroy that building was the fact that it was damaged to 30 health from that early APC rush, so they weren't able to repair it in time.

41 minutes ago, Lt.Hargrove said:

About the loss of strip on Walls, it wasn't mined at all. At first I thought there were just mines at the door and not the inside door, but at a later inspection there were no mines in strip with the counter at 29/30.

Yeah, it's sad, but sometimes happens even on PUGs.

And thanks for the recap, Lava! Tomb also started with an APC rush by GDI. Which was a bad idea - the APCs bumped into several flame tanks and GDI had no credits to defend from the counter-attack.

Well uhm not sure what to think about the PUG.

First we started a bit too quick, cause I didn't have time to do a mic check for everybody (along to find out each persons skill). Also after / during Tomb B0NG joined our team and started questioning some orders / stuff I tried to do. He could have lead the team if he wanted, but for a while it was like there were two commanders and this didnt work. This also feedback I received from others later. I wasn't really bothered by this, but some people said it was unclear who lead the team.

Also, since I didn't spoke to everybody, some stuff was unclear, like that one defender didn't know how to mine. After the PUG I found out that we had an overminer for a few games. Besides that: during the PUG we had too many people going solo. That was the reason why I left during walls, because even the simplest things got ignored by a large part of the team. Maybe the outcome 5vs1 would have been the same without those people, but than I had the feeling we actually tried more. A lot of potential rushes and attacks got ruined by people doing different stuff than agreed to,

Example:

- On Tomb (9) people broke formation / plans to go solo...
All keep firing that building (people break off formation to go for whatever they see. Would have made the difference between killing the building or not).
- Get *insert random vehicle / character.*  Only to see 1/3rd of the team (at some point) being SBH, or to see 3 or 4 snipers while there was a question for one.
- Suicide and go repair a building. Same thing...
- And so on...

Edited by Ryz

• Totem Arts Staff

Guess what.. @TONY-STARK leaded us to victory on PUG :o Were good games! Tactic: Do what you're good in :P

"Do whatever you're good in" - Tony Stark, November 13th 2016

Islands

No early rushes by GDI, all on defence. GDI was late with tanks so Nod had chance to get artys in field. GDI completely locked in base. Poi defending tunnels, very good. After a few minutes I use a Rav with EMP to get in bar. Meanwhile tanks attacking massivly on ref while I had the chance to put armour down. Ref goes down, bar is next target and lost. Then we all hit Wf like a b*tch!

Whiteout

What can I say..... SNEAKING. Yes Luhrian and I tried to sneak to HoN. I got killed by "Icy Water" so that sneaky thing was gone. Nod starting to get artys, which were killed by meds I believe. Meanwhile I sneak to pp, which successfully worked. Nod lost pp and later I sneak again but now to ref and killed it. Meanwhile hand goes down too. Like 3 minutes later Nod surrendered...

Goldrush

Bad luck for Team TonyStark. GDI silenced rushed to obby, no one noticed so what a surprise to me. GDI now is able to rush with tanks which Nod can't defend. At a moment the Bar got destroyed and then we organized a small stank rush of 4. We go to AGT and we took it down. Later we do a rocket rush to pp, we took it down. BUT A MAMMOTH RUSH ENTERED OUR BASE AND KILLED OUR BASE. Then we surrendered

Under

GDI has kept the field for the whole game. At one moment we are going to rush in and try to kill the obby. A few times it failed. Nod tried to rush but failed every time. The nod PP was heavily camped but one time, Poi killed all the campers, entered the pp and I assisted him with killing it. A few seconds later, the Nod pp was down which was an advantage so we could rush in. Like 5 minutes later GDI  overmastered the Noddies and won the match

TONY-STARK 3-1 Ryz

gg's for me!

Edited by ThommyK0104

30 minutes ago, ThommyK0104 said:

Nod starting to get artys, which were killed by meds I believe.

Besides meds, I destroyed 2-3 arties with 1 humvee. It is super effective.

31 minutes ago, ThommyK0104 said:

The nod PP was heavily camped but one time, Poi killed all the campers, entered the pp and I assisted him with killing it.

It is because at the same time 4 meds rushed in and ob was took to 1 hp. Nod tried to saved ob but lost pp.

Small recap from our side: from minute one we had issues getting the team coordinated. A lot of important info was missed cause it was either

a) typed and not read
b) not mentioned at all

Islands
For some reason we didn't get meds (enough) while it was been asked numerous times (and there was money). For some reason the defender on the ref (there was someone camping) didn't ask for help and it went down while it could have been saved. The meds who could have cleared the arties didn't move, the repairs didn't go to ref. 

Whiteout
Not enough people sticking to the plan, Dedicated defenders missed the infiltrators, some buildings didn't get mines propely or had no mines at all (overminer?). From there one there was no point playing and we got overrun.

Goldrush
Initial attack worked on oby, but than it was difficult getting stuff organized for a while. Bar almost died cause there was zero to non reply for it being C4'ed. AGT died cause Schmitzenberg had to abandon it cause another building was getting hit and the repair(s) didn't report in. Strip got killed by sneaker, tide changed, people got organized... 

Under
We knew this was going to be a hard map. When the tunnels or the field was called 'clear' we tried to organize a rush but it took way to long. Even 4 parked (and empty) stanks took 5 minutes to get filled and move out the base when we had the chance AND the people available. The fifth stank (which was about to get bought) didn't come and so 4 hit the AGT and it wasn't enough...

Wouldn't consider it a good PUG. Not only cause 'we' lost, but also because there were almost no 'key moments' in which something special happened. It all felt very random. Maybe Under was the best game cause we could hold out pretty long, on the other hand we didn't really manage to get anything going. Also, and I feel like repeating myself, a large part of the game (and the ones yesterday) was decided by bad luck and mistakes... 

Edited by Ryz

After watching thommy's videos, @Ryz when you're commanding you need to be more aware of the circumstances and your surroundings, and you need to be more quick on your commands. Asking who's a hotwire after the barracks blew up on Mountain is pointless because you can look that up yourself by hitting V. You asked for LCGs on the wall and your team did just that, and they all got picked off by snipers and you got upset afterwards because there wasn't enough apparently.

The first minute of Volcano was a pain to follow and understand. You can't just say "2 people do this, 7 people do that, and everybody else go here". It doesn't work like that, people can't organize themselves that easily as you might think. Your rush ended up getting delayed some 20 seconds, and by the time you moved out there were Mcfarlands blowing up the PP. Start using names instead of "people", and start using the overview map to see your teammate's positions and composition. 

2 hours ago, ThommyK0104 said:

Round 1: Islands

There won't be a Round 2: Whiteout because my recorder didn't record for some reason so tomorrow will be Round 3: Goldrush

If i reminded right.. whiteout was the map where we thought that you have glitched multiple times in our base? :P strange thing that just this record is corupted :D

• Like 2

Trouper would've probably had suspected there was an sbh in the bay because of the doors opening.

But Thommy, do you realize you make up 10% of your team on a 10 vs 10? The Raveshaw worked out well in the end but SBH solo nuking, especially on Islands and when your team isn't fully in control of the field yet isn't such a great idea.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 9:41 PM, CampinJeff said:

After watching thommy's videos, @Ryz when you're commanding you need to be more aware of the circumstances and your surroundings, and you need to be more quick on your commands. Asking who's a hotwire after the barracks blew up on Mountain is pointless because you can look that up yourself by hitting V. You asked for LCGs on the wall and your team did just that, and they all got picked off by snipers and you got upset afterwards because there wasn't enough apparently.

The first minute of Volcano was a pain to follow and understand. You can't just say "2 people do this, 7 people do that, and everybody else go here". It doesn't work like that, people can't organize themselves that easily as you might think. Your rush ended up getting delayed some 20 seconds, and by the time you moved out there were Mcfarlands blowing up the PP. Start using names instead of "people", and start using the overview map to see your teammate's positions and composition. 

Thx for that feedback.

First of all: a few weeks ago we played a PUG and when I 'shouted' get this or get that it ALWAYS took less than a minute. The past PUG's I've been in it took always minutes after the first attack (up to 5), so a quick command doesn't get followed 90(!) percent of the time if you ask me. Nor a slow command, I've just been in teams lately where people had many issues following commands.

"Be more clear who does what": acknowledged, I know Volcano was chaotic... 

By the time we played walls saturday I didn't care anymore.
Concerning the 'V' button (or looking it up with M). I know, but I also try to get reaction(s) from the team.

Basicly I know if it will be a good game if:
-  There is a healthy portion of chat prior to the PUG from a large part of the team
- From the start people spread out information and talk when needed (too busy isn't good, too quiet neither)
- Give suggestions 

Most of the games I played lately lacked all that.... It even started by the fact that I was commander at least 3 times cause nobody else wanted and when there was no reply at all for candidates. While it was clearly not a good idea for me and I even mentioned this several times before the PUG.  (On sunday) I just got home prior to the PUG and was f*cked up tired from all the activities during the past day and night. Saturday is usually a better day for me...

When I lose 3/4th of all PUG's during the past months (nomatter if I was a commander or not) I start losing fun and interest in the game... Count the fact of being sniped 10.000 times in a row with that and you know why I don't play PUB's anymore...

Edited by Ryz

32 minutes ago, Ryz said:

Thx for that feedback. By the time we played walls I didn't care anymore. Concerning the 'V' button (or looking it up with M). I know, but I also try to get reaction(s) from the team.

I know that you know all the stuff I'm about to write, it's just important to assign these roles to players. The best way to do so is to go ahead either at the start of the PUG or between rounds to ask your team "Do we have any voluteers for role x? I need an amount of y people for that"
And for roles you got:

Base defense:
These folks usually roam in your teams half of the map, intercept enemy units or just prevent building destruction + infiltration

- Repairs (2-3, no more no less - Should NEVER leave the base under any circumstances! Their job is to watch mines and protect + repair the buildings - Make sure volunteers actually realize that their job might be either filled with lots of action and stress or it could be just staring at the mine counter, or both.)
Aggressive (eliminate tanks/infantry attacking the base - amount is map dependant, e.g. Mesa needs more than Under in this regard. Usually like 2-5 players. Those can also utilize vehicles at their own discretion. (E.g. Islands: APCs guarding tunnels))

Offensive:
Turtling is something best avoided in Renegade X, thus you need players actively attacking the enemy base to keep their defense on the toes and to eventually crack the enemy base.

- Vehicles + Infantry (1k units, anti-armor & anti-infantry units - Usually this is the "Do whatever" or "Do this if I didn't state otherwise" group. This will be your major group. Attacking buildings, killing approaching units, killing repairs. Allrounders belong here.)
Infiltration + Recon (Kinda obvious, I'd go ahead and assign no more than 2 players for this, and it should be players with expertise in this field. No solo nukers just running rampant.)
- Repairs/Capture (2-3 players, situation dependant - you can increase that to 4 or more by taking people out of the other Offensive groups, or decreasing that to 1 if the enemy resistance is low)

The roles you should assign first are Base defense repairs and offensive infiltrators. Those are key players who can quickly change the outcome of a match. The other roles play a key role aswell, as field control is incredibly important as well as keeping the pressure up, otherwise you might be quickly pushed to the wall. Usually some players go ahead and volunteer for certain roles, which can save you some time. Maybe we should ask players when we're captaining what they would volunteer for before the PUG?

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a system where players could put in their preferred roles, so captains don't have to guess or ask around too much what the players could want to do and instead pick depending on preference. Are you more of a offensive tanker or an active miner? Do you prefer sniping or just taking out vehicles? Questions that could be asked beforehand and would save lots of time (and nerves) during PUGs. Of course, it could become a filtering criteria (it already is, snipers are pretty much always being picked first. As they are key offensive players), but as seen in many PUGs, you need players for every role, otherwise matches can quickly turn out to be very dull for one team or the other.

Edited by KrypTheBear

2 hours ago, KrypTheBear said:

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a system where players could put in their preferred roles, so captains don't have to guess or ask around too much what the players could want to do and instead pick depending on preference. Are you more of a offensive tanker or an active miner? Do you prefer sniping or just taking out vehicles? Questions that could be asked beforehand and would save lots of time (and nerves) during PUGs. Of course, it could become a filtering criteria (it already is, snipers are pretty much always being picked first. As they are key offensive players), but as seen in many PUGs, you need players for every role, otherwise matches can quickly turn out to be very dull for one team or the other.

Yeah, I think that would really make it easier for commanders to assemble the teams.

We could start with something simple like everybody on Teamspeak puts his preferred role or in what he's good at in brackets behind his nickname.

Main roles would be: sniper, tanker, sneaker, defender, supporter

For example:

Poi (sniper)

Denuvian (tanker)

ThommyK0104 (sneaker)

TONY-STARK (solonuker)

and so on...

To be fair, 2 defenders, can also repair/fight infiltrators, because repairs are best used in the field aggressively if the situation allows.

Also, you don't want to always be infiltrating, because the time will just dedicate 1 person to do nothing but watch for you. Instead, have them repair tanks occasionally, and occasionally try again later. That way, tanks are more effective, and the guy watching for infiltrators is useless.

It's all about not consistently attacking one place, and surging where they least expect it while keeping continuous pressure. That wins games, multi-prong attacks.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 0:19 PM, KrypTheBear said:

I know that you know all the stuff I'm about to write, it's just important to assign these roles to players. The best way to do so is to go ahead either at the start of the PUG or between rounds to ask your team "Do we have any voluteers for role x? I need an amount of y people for that"

[...]

Seriously, how about Squads within each Team, which might help organising the battle?

I remember how in Project Realtiy (Battlefield 2 mod) squads were created prior to the match, where the names usually indicated the roles like transport, APC, infantry etc.

Looking at the reports of recent PUGs, I feel that RenX gameplay could benefit a lot from a hierarchical structure and organisation... ;)

What do you think?

• Like 1

I think having squads is definitely worth a try.
Having squads would make logistics easier.
It's not necessary that all quads are the same size. If we have full server (20 players per team), you could have 7 people in offensive squad 1, 7 people in offensive squad 2, 3 people in special- ops squad, 2 people in defense squad and 1 commander.

TeamSpeak has the "Channel Commander" and "whisper list" options, so we would need to get some TS configuration going before PUG.

And communication among squad leaders (and also commander) would have to be insanely good, since they had to relay some important messages from their squad members. Say if mines go down or beacon gets deployed, you usually say/type the location or say/type that building is safe.
With hierarchy, for that kind of info to get to me, it would have to go from squad1 member -> squad1 leader -> my squad leader -> me.
It takes way more time than if some squad member starts yelling into mic and get everyone's attention.
He could Q-spam the shit out of it, but that wouldn't mean that rest of the team will interpret his message in time.

So maybe there should be some agreement as to which communication channel should be used for which kind of info.

But anyway, I would like to try out squads. It doesn't matter how messy it gets with communication.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LavaDr4gon said:

Comparing it to Thommy's videos you can see the difference in leadership and organizations.  Also you can hear the squad concept being implemented from Yagi commanding the sbhs while we have a commander on the field.

I sometimes do branch-off attacks if I feel benefit in them. Hard to separate people on the fly in channels to accomplish this.

However, I suppose this could actually work, if you were separated at game start/join, in groups of 3, where:
---players can only hear/speak to their squadmates
---squad leaders can hear/speak to squadmates and other squad leaders

This way, groups of 3 can quickly switch roles, but they can also work together with other groups of 3 to fight in field (for instance, 3 groups of 3 makes 9 working for tank warfare, and a 4th group for specifically field repair).

You can accomplish this in Teamspeak 3, by having 7 channels a team, 1 channel a squad, and having all squad leaders "whisper" each other so they can communicate transcendent of channel limitations.

@YagiHige, it sounds like what you're wanting is to use TeamSpeak's Channel Commander feature. This allows channel commanders to communicate with eachother, and I think it can also be setup where they just talk to the channel commander(s) in the higher up channel (i.e: the team commander). To illustrate exactly what I'm thinking:

2016-11-18_14-09-31.png

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Agent said:

@YagiHige, it sounds like what you're wanting is to use TeamSpeak's Channel Commander feature. This allows channel commanders to communicate with eachother, and I think it can also be setup where they just talk to the channel commander(s) in the higher up channel (i.e: the team commander). To illustrate exactly what I'm thinking:

2016-11-18_14-09-31.png

I've mentioned something to this extent on TeamSpeak numerous times without realising there was a channel commander feature.

It'd be so good to have such coordination and communication in this kind of style.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xtractor said:

What these ^^ Scare me the more is the Flexibility of players .

Eg, Im on a Rep Squad and  I decide to quite my designated "job" for a moment for  somthing I sense I Should do and  wasnt plan,

I Can hear already the TS o.O

This is generally why I'd say split even the "field" into 3 man squads. That way, if any of them need to bounce around, they can let their squad know concisely, rather than try to communicate with 20 people simultaneously. There is very little that it'd hurt for 12 mid-field players, to be split up into 3-4 squads.

• Like 1

Ultimately I don't think it's worthwhile to do squads every week, and it should probably be left up to each team's commander on how to split the team into squads (i.e: they might not want an "infiltration" squad). Commanders would definitely need the ability to move people between channels. I don't think we should do this today though -- it'll probably take more prep than that. This would be a good thing to TEST on the smaller Sunday PUGs.

The Channel Commander stuff works similar to any other whisper list. TeamSpeak -> Tools -> Whisper Lists -> New -> Put your hotkey (I do '+' and '*' on the numpad). Change "Whisper to:" to "Groups" and "Group Whisper Type" to "Channel Commander". If you're the Commander, set "Group Whisper Target" to "Subchannels". If you're a squad leader, set "Group Whisper Target" to "Parent Channel".

I think infiltrators should but put on a squad, and the commander can merely tell their squad leader to do field repairs when infiltration isn't likely. You can have divisions, while having divisions do different things than just one thing. Instruct them back and forth on the fly.

This PUG was not as valuable as sleep would have been...

Pretty bad pug. Consisted of one team suffering and the other bored from the slaughter.

Tunnels - Light tank rush with infiltration kills Ref and WF. Follow up tanks kill PP and SBH nuke kills bar.

Arctic Stronghold - Rocket rush damage OB and intercepts a Nod ref rush, Meds/gunners stop an Arty rush and push up to finish off OB, and soon the rest of the base. 

Islands - Flame trooper rush from field kills WF. Arty rush kills Ref and Bar.

Complex - Flame trooper rush kills Bar and damages WF, while GDI infantry rush kills HON and strip. Med rush stops rocket rush, and kills ref.

Fort - Light tank rush fails, Meds/titan rush fails, then a slugfest goes on for some 15 minutes. GDI forgets to repair ref and it dies from tanks sitting outside the base. SBH nukes take out WF, and flame rush kills bar. 

Me 5, Madkill 0

i did not play this saturday pug.. but i saw.. the last 3 weeks it was quite often a very clear win/loose situation with 1 team is dominating another team.

maybe you guys should make after every round some kind of rebalancing. so the next rouds are some more fair?

Edited by Ska-Ara

9 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Fort - Light tank rush fails, Meds/titan rush fails, then a slugfest goes on for some 15 minutes. GDI forgets to repair ref and it dies from tanks sitting outside the base. SBH nukes take out WF, and flame rush kills bar.

To be fair, that's exactly what happened, but even IF they remembered to repair, I was in Ref at full health when it died. They couldn't repair, avoid me killing them, AND diffuse my c4, while tanks shot outside and I shot MCT from inside.

It had "death insurance", if you will. Same with the WF nuke, though Boi's death insurance was necessary for that, as the death itself was being diffused without his interference. Excellent dive-in on his behalf though, without him it'd have to be up to the tanks to do work while the nuke distracted.

Bad GDI game.

The "do what you're good at" strategy didnt work well.

We lacked a dominant commander. It was like: "Do this!" - someone else says: "how about we get xyz.." - "Yeah good idea, do that instead".

GDI failed to get 10/10 meds. And we lost meds all the time du to:

a) harvester

b) people blocking each other

c) people didnt listen to fall back n wait

d) we didnt have enough healers (at least most of the time)

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic