What do you think would help grow RenX community ?

ex_member

• Totem Arts Staff

- Less complaints ingame (about cheaters, etc)

- No overminers

- No one modrequesting for no reason

- No teamhampering

- A video tutorial series

- Less people calling new players 'fucking noobs'

- Nod to win every game (Praise be unto Kane)

Edited by Sarah!

I agree that we need a clean secure server for a healthy community to grow -- but really the core issue we have is not many people are aware of RenX, is still a huge market of players who just need to be made aware of this gem of a game.

The only real way to do that is to enlist the aid of big YouTubers like AngryJoe to do some small promotional videos for us, and possibly a few marketing campaigns.

I have been playing around with 'community engagement' ideas (e.g. team deathmatch with one life, buggy racing etc...) but nothing has really been refined enough for it to work yet, and I still need to see how the other admins feel about it.

Guest once upon the time

- Better Download of the game (for Newbies)

- automatic update of the game via Launcher

- better performance of the Launcher

15 hours ago, dr.schrott said:

- events with prizes(something small like "your sign in the game visible for a while", perhaps some special skin or a t-shirt ), and achievements

That'd be cool for the MVP and the other stuff like "Best Offence" etc or something that comes up after each map. - Maybe a highlighted color/skin or something idk.

For now they don't really turn into anything, just information for like 30 secs.

My 2c

What's happened to the recommendation side to Renegade - In the original you'd get like a rec for repairs after X amount of score of a building/vehicle, destroying X amount of light/heavy vehicles, most kills, highest K/D ratio and many more. 

Now you just get a rec for whoever gets the last shot on a building. (or if they sneak in gg, but that can be a whole other rec)

(I probably have a few more but I'll edit it into this post as I have little time during the day to have a propper think.)

When someone spots a new player, someone straight up ask em how they got to the game, it'll help us figure out what avenues are getting them here.

Edited by Snappy

Over the years i seen many players leave because they don't like where the game is heading with all the nerfs and buffs - changes to characters like spread (it's not CS)

- I feel like the community should be more involved with upcoming changes. polls would be a great idea to have an idea what people like and what they don't like.

- Less toxicity.

- Rules should be more clear in most servers and players not getting banned for stupid reasons like playing with their friends - responding to hate messages.

No offense to the devs i have a lot respect for the dev team! but most of the devs are busy in irl barely play the game to really know what's broken and what's not broken, For them to decide that something needs to change is a lil bit odd. I get that they talk to a few people to kinda get a picture of what's going on. In my opinion that's just not how it should go. for this reason alone i feel like the community should have more of a voice on the forums and in polls.

(again i have lots of respect for the devs and i'm so happy they're still working on this game 🤗)

Edited by bentō
  • Like 3

-Launcher that shows players online and a chat

- less toxic behaviour on new players

- game information texts and pictures about units, mines, strategies etc. accessible ingame like in original renegade

- bring back recommendations

2 hours ago, Sarah! said:

(They're already a thing)

image.png.0f0d399c3574ff1936a844c27e8b0276.png

yeah, but only wheny you destroy a building, and thats it

there used to be a plethora of recs, e.g.   repairs after X amount of score of a building/vehicle, destroying X amount of light/heavy vehicles, most kills, highest K/D ratio and many more.

• Totem Arts Staff
Just now, Snappy said:

yeah, but only wheny you destroy a building, and thats it

there used to be a plethora of recs, e.g.   repairs after X amount of score of a building/vehicle, destroying X amount of light/heavy vehicles, most kills, highest K/D ratio and many more.

Nah, you can rec people, at the end of matches, best kd, most kills and vehicle kills get recs automatically. Could add more as well, but that would require me to edit jupiter and add stuff into the game as well.

1 minute ago, Sarah! said:

Nah, you can rec people, at the end of matches, best kd, most kills and vehicle kills get recs automatically. Could add more as well, but that would require me to edit jupiter and add stuff into the game as well.

I've only ever seen the building one tbh but if you say so 🙂

I was gonna rec a guy for veh reps but was too noob to remember, is it just straight up /rec ?

• Totem Arts Staff
59 minutes ago, dr.schrott said:

@ALL

Please don't turn it into a discussion topic !

Keep it as a topic where people are free to list all what they think would help this game.

Later, if we collect enough good feedback, you can discuss and prioritize them.

Or not. Simply answering a question. Having redundant suggestions bogs down the topic, don't you think?

Edited by Sarah!

Players explain to the newcomer why is he/she mine-banned. Many newcomers that were mine-banned for overmining thought they were bullied for no reason and never come back when they left.

People stop blaming/complaining about their team and gloating about their score.

No team-stackers.

People stop flooding the screen with spammed radio messages.

EA suddenly allow this game be on Steam.

• Like 1

What i think would help the RenX community grow:

~ Increase the situations where a player feels and experiences the momentum of the game changing due to their participation.  

(to some degree this is the opposite of the trend toward bigger maps and big player counts )

~ Maps and game play appropriate for smaller player counts, and a mechanism to allow servers to offer player count appropriate maps.

~ Easier/faster download of game.

~ Avoid consistently stacked games.

~ Include timed match options in the mix with marathon.

• Totem Arts Staff

-Decrease max player count between 45 - 32

-lobby / chat in-game or in launcher. minimum I think it would be greatly beneficial to see how many players are in the game / launcher so e.g. I enter an empty server I can expect to only have to wait x # of minutes until others join.

Or if the top server is full, how many others could be looking to jump into another server right away (basic psychology, if its empty others won't join, but if 1 or 2 are in, the chances of others joining goes way up.)

Regarding that the game is made 100% for free from people who invest their personal time into this, the server performance and ping are alright imo.

Some suggestions for the older players about newbies(not meaning their age lol):

1. If you see a guy is completely new, dont harrass him for every simple mistake, like leaving the tanks on field or overmining, teach them..

2. TRY to not spam murder em.. im not saying dont brutally murder everyone in front of you, just sometimes running past a new guy might help him stay

3. I do agree that there should be a tl;dr intro to the general game and what to expect

Still need to keep in mind that this game is really old, younger audiance doenst know it exists and its a remake. IM(personal)O, every new guy/gal coming online should have a chance to experiance atleast a few hours of the game itself, and not getting 360 drainzered and then watching the respawn timer..

About the game itself.. adds? Videos (the pug videos are generally the only source). Anything cheap that could spread the word

Edit: about some suggestions above

I completely agree with Bento on every point.

We do have timed servers And servers with smaller player limit, no need to limit every server to 30.. 

Edited by Guest

Another things I think that is gonna help the community grow:

1. No unlimited time games that passed 1 hour. The game gets dull where everyone just be doing the same thing over and over again until one team gets bored and left/stop trying. This is the kind of games that you don't want newbies to be in because they'll see how boring and dull it gets.

2. Stop flaming people, in general or targeted. A hostile environment is not a welcoming one.

3. People making a big fuss out of a losing game.

4. No Team stacking and radio spamming.

5. Less player limit. (64 is too much)

This indie game developed by a ragtag group of pirates would thrive in the Steam marketplace.  Bite the bullet and strip the CnC branding.  Steam Awards 2018 best indie multiplayer game of the year would be a lock.

Gliven already has new lore/backstory figured out.

Edited by MintLemonade
  • Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
On 5/24/2018 at 12:37 AM, MintLemonade said:

This indie game developed by a ragtag group of pirates would thrive in the Steam marketplace.  Bite the bullet and strip the CnC branding.  Steam Awards 2018 best indie multiplayer game of the year would be a lock.

Gliven already has new lore/backstory figured out.

The question is how similar could the game be without being considered as infringement? 

I have been thinking this is really the only path to actually expand the game.

Guest once upon the time

I think we make a little mistake (myself too). We must change the point of view to ppl who wants to start with Ren X .

First I see that very often are problems with the download self of the game. Some ppl try harder and other ppl give up.

The Launcher is one of the next problems (not everytime , but look how often ppl  write in the Forum).  I am quiet sure that a lot of ppl will not write anything, they will deinstall the game again.

Some maps are not really playable with 64 players (real only few) .

When you have tried to get friends to play Ren X and they stop to play, you get a better idea why the community is not growing.

Thats my try to see it from the other side :) .

21 hours ago, roweboat said:

IDG vs Don

Something like generic Freedom Force vs Terrorists, as in Micromachine Military. 😛

Something like Metal Fatigue universe for having customizable giant mechas in addition to tanks.

On a second thought, that would be something else entirely. Lets just leave everything as is.

I am surprised that no one mentioned this before but the website is not findable. If I google "renegade x" it does not come up. If people read about renegade x I assume the first thing they do if they are interested is google it to find the website for the game. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Moat said:

I am surprised that no one mentioned this before but the website is not findable. If I google "renegade x" it does not come up. If people read about renegade x I assume the first thing they do if they are interested is google it to find the website for the game. 

This is the 2nd result in google: https://www.moddb.com/games/renegade-x

Which brings you to here

But you do make a good point, probably an EA thing

SEO wise it would be smart to have a short description post about Renegade-X at the first page above the 'blog' posts. It should include Renegade-x and some keywords you want to be found on. 

21 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

This is the 2nd result in google: https://www.moddb.com/games/renegade-x

Which brings you to here

But you do make a good point, probably an EA thing

Oh I see now, did not know it was up-to-date to the latest version

21 hours ago, Agent said:

I'm not actually sure why we're not the first result anymore. Thanks for pointing this out so we can look into it.

Because it was before, that for sure.

5 hours ago, Ryz said:

SEO wise it would be smart to have a short description post about Renegade-X at the first page above the 'blog' posts. It should include Renegade-x and some keywords you want to be found on. 

yes indeed, I also see that no "<h1>" are used but "<h3>" instead. Ofcourse "<h3>" is better for those positions but there is no "<h1>" title anyways. The renegade-x title on the right is <h2> so that could also be put between <h1> tags. Maybe it can also help to put the website link on moddb, now it is only one link to the forum.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:20 PM, SilentKnight said:

I think we make a little mistake (myself too). We must change the point of view to ppl who wants to start with Ren X .

First I see that very often are problems with the download self of the game. Some ppl try harder and other ppl give up.

The Launcher is one of the next problems (not everytime , but look how often ppl  write in the Forum).  I am quiet sure that a lot of ppl will not write anything, they will deinstall the game again.

Some maps are not really playable with 64 players (real only few) .

When you have tried to get friends to play Ren X and they stop to play, you get a better idea why the community is not growing.

Thats my try to see it from the other side :) .

Just listening to people that stop to play would be the best of course. At first I did not wanted to bring it up because of all the discussions before on this forum and even the in-game fight's and name calling on the chat. But till now 3 friends of my did not liked the game because of some k/d ratios. They call it cheating, as mentioned it comes up almost every game so I can not believe my friends are the only ones. Maybe someone can think of a solution for this, convincing that it is not cheating but just good players that already play for many years does not work. 

Another thing that maybe sounds cheap is not to promote this game as a remake but as a free game. Talk about the action, guns, vehicles, repairing, credits and teamwork. Leave the nostalgia for what it is, the original renegade was not that popular and known. Are there not a lot of these free games websites?

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Moat said:

But till now 3 friends of my did not liked the game because of some k/d ratios. They call it cheating, as mentioned it comes up almost every game so I can not believe my friends are the only ones. Maybe someone can think of a solution for this, convincing that it is not cheating but just good players that already play for many years does not work. 

Many sniper players record and post videos on YouTube. There's really not much else you can do. If someone is convinced someone's a hacker, that's never going to change.

Would love to hear suggestions, though.

Guest once upon the time
1 hour ago, Moat said:

At first I did not wanted to bring it up because of all the discussions before on this forum and even the in-game fight's and name calling on the chat. But till now 3 friends of my did not liked the game because of some k/d ratios. They call it cheating, as mentioned it comes up almost every game so I can not believe my friends are the only ones. Maybe someone can think of a solution for this, convincing that it is not cheating but just good players that already play for many years does not work. 

You made a very good suggestion again and Sarah is right too. 

My personal opinion is that expierenced Sniper can change the style when they see that a lot of new players are on a Server to avoid ragequits or blaiming as a cheater. 

That doesn't mean that they never should play Sniper again , but that they take a bit responsibility for the community to grow.

New player could try to take Tanks (when not all in use) , so they didn't get sniped easily.

A real solution i dont have too. 😟

Maybe we could add an feint targeting laser to the ramjet snipers, where do i have feeling newbies would complain again anyways.

That you are simply getting shot by multiple snipers coordinately at the same time is more likely than a cheater onboard.

Sorry, but that complaint is increasingly sounding like an 'gitgud' issue to me.

Guest once upon the time

@Eagle XI only one question: Are you a new player? :) I dont think so, when I see since when you are active in the Forum.

Go mental back in the time when you was new in this game and get headshoted very often. You was a try -harder player and did not gave up, but everyone is different.

We must accept that ppl dont like it and quit the game. I believe too, that a lot of ppl quit of it, because its not fun with 64 player headshotet while leaving buildings everytime. 😉

Like I said we could not change it, but ...

I think good snipers are not the problem. "One shot one kill feelings" from an officer happens more often. In modern games there is a lobby system that separates the new people from the experienced, and of course here that is not possible. In games without lobby system they trust the anti cheat, still they don't see such a big differences in player skills (Opinion of a person that does not play anymore). I also don't have an idea for this, but I see it so often lately it starting to stand out. And I also see that just one player can change a whole game. What about more damage to the body? 

But oke, the game is only difficult when good aiming people are playing. The community should not be so focused on the game itself because it is the best game ever 😃 but more about promoting it. There are also other game forums with topics like "any game recommendations", "good free games", "non ptw". I will check reddit and the forum of hyperspin if I have the time.    

• Like 1

To come back at my previous post, if I read about renegade-x on reddit I see a lot of people that thinks this game is dead because of empty servers. Those people also look like renegade fans and really want this remake.  Now I think that is the biggest problem. What about a server history option in the launcher? Where people can see how many players have been active every hour or so as a proof it ain't dead 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moat said:

And I also see that just one player can change a whole game.

Lots of people think this way and it's not true, Theres no way 1 player can do that maybe in a 10v10 but 20v20 30v30 nope. 

I think lots of people underestimate the teamplay needed in this game.

51 minutes ago, poi said:

Lots of people think this way and it's not true, Theres no way 1 player can do that maybe in a 10v10 but 20v20 30v30 nope. 

I think lots of people underestimate the teamplay needed in this game.

Well... If for example you attack trough the tunnels the whole team needs to get to the tunnels to defend. It is still teamwork but the field will be open. Not sure if better experienced players would notice it. I can be wrong and the only one with this opinion of course. And no not with 30vs30 but with 20vs20 yes, depending on the team. It is still something that it is how it is and nothing will change that. But that experience influence new players and/or gameplay.

• Totem Arts Staff
6 minutes ago, Moat said:

Well... If for example you attack trough the tunnels the whole team needs to get to the tunnels to defend. It is still teamwork but the field will be open. Not sure if better experienced players would notice it. I can be wrong and the only one with this opinion of course. And no not with 30vs30 but with 20vs20 yes, depending on the team. It is still something that it is how it is and nothing will change that. But that experience influence new players and/or gameplay.

Camping with 1 tank usually solves that problem

• Like 1