What do you think would help grow RenX community ?

ex_member

On 6/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, AndyROo said:

Hello everyone. I'm a super veteran of the JellyServer from original C&C Renegade. Used to be an admin there, and in NightServ Sniping server.
I just remembered after several years that this exists, and I look forward to playing it, and getting some older vets of C&C Renegade to play with me.

Look forward to seeing everyone in-game.
Hope Hourglass marathon exists in this ;)

Woooo!

On 9/2/2018 at 2:31 PM, kbls said:

There is no penalty for cheating. It does not matter if you eventually ban the person for aimbotting or editing their game to increase their chances to hit a target. The damage is already done and asking people not to talk about it is fucking stupid!!!( that's like going to the doctor and telling him your leg hurts when you walk on it and he tells you not to walk on it then...)

The assumption that someone is aimbotting and then based on that assumption starts stirring shit in-game, generally putting forward the idea that there is somebody aimbotting to other players is probably more off-putting than there being any actual cheating (which there isn't), just admit another player is better then* try to kill them with free infantry.

Edited by Madkill40

Guest once upon the time

I think player could do easy things too.

Yesterday I was very bored and was useless searching things in the Internet and I found from a German Computer Paper Ren X.

I was sending them only the newest version of the game. people could write their comments too ( I did not , because since B5 its not anymore my gameplay), but when ppl really like they could support easily.

I think this kind of Internet present are existing in every country.

Here is the link from the German ( Computer Bild):

https://www.computerbild.de/download/Renegade-X-10053348.html

So if some Germans love this game feel free to support.

Edited by once upon the time
What a bad english Silent :)

On the Dutch one there are also serveral pages. Most of them are from before 2014. Think this is the newest one(2014): https://tweakers.net/nieuws/94564/unreal-engine-indiegame-renegade-x-start-open-beta.html

Maybe contact tweakers for updating the page. They also have software updates on the front page, can also be an option. (The dutch devs know how tweakers works)

• 5 months later...

I agree that we need a clean secure server for a healthy community to grow -- but really the core issue we have is not many people are aware of RenX, is still a huge market of players who just need to be made aware of this gem of a game.

Over the years i seen many players leave because they don't like where the game is heading with all the nerfs and buffs - changes to characters like spread (it's not CS)

- I feel like the community should be more involved with upcoming changes. polls would be a great idea to have an idea what people like and what they don't like.

1-More publicities

This indie game developed by a ragtag group of pirates would thrive in the Steam marketplace.  Bite the bullet and strip the CnC branding.
Gliven already has new lore/backstory figured out.

I have been thinking this is really the only path to actually expand the game.

I agree that awareness is one of the biggest issues. Paying large youtubers / streamers to do promotion may work or it may not. I for one ignore most ads and favour smaller, more humble creators that aren't as cheesy or moronic, and don't put a ton of sponsored crap in their content.

What I think would help the RenX community grow

From an entrepreneur's perspective - let me just give this to you straight:

Customers leaving after the initial hype, is called "churn".

And as with all entrepreneurship and sales: having a truly, truly excellent product will help a lot with this.

The difference between a good and a great product, is the difference between having a hard time selling it versus having it pretty much sell itself.
If the product is great, then the persistent word-of-mouth will be your most powerful ad campaign that you will néver have to pay for.

It's a simple math:
If one person has 50 friends, family, coworkers and regular acquintences in their regular life, of which they enthusiastically tell 3 about this reaaally cool game. Those 3, also have 50 people in their regular lives, of which they tell 3 about the game.... 3x3x3x3x ................
Not including social media friends and influencers such as Youtubers and streamers!!!

Those are X^Y walking billboards all over the f place, that don't have to be managed ánd who don't ask for money all the time.
All of them can work fór you, or against you.

If we can make it so, that those 3 persons are completely, totally, wowzers blown away and sold to the game...
...Bam. Not enough servers.

Until that point of "truly excellent gamechanging product", it is, ofcourse, a great idea - necessary even - to help things along with promotional activities. As it's important to gain traction, receiving feedback, and to have an online presence at the point of release.
Another of its fruits being the attraction of new developers and contributors.

Priority now however, in my humble opinion, should remain somewhat more toward developing those Renegade game mechanics and stability that everyone has been dying for. To far excel the original game in its C&C features. With the exception of a selectable "Classic Renegade" server-mode.

The way I see it, what could help the RenX community grow right now, is to actually offer two selectable gamemodes: "Classic Renegade" | "Renegade X".

"Classic Renegade" mode being a serious attempt to remaster the old-school Ren experience, with greatly improved graphics and UI's, while having 95% the same gameplay. The "Renegade X" mode, on the other hand, introduces all-NEW features such as base (re)building, exotic vehicle crates, sprinting, abuse-proof spectator mode, and whatnot.

While "Classic Renegade" primarily satisfies the nostalgia fanbase, the "Renegade X" mode catches the much bigger loyal-C&C fanbase of people who have been, in one way or another, disappointed with the relatively limited C&C feature-set and early EOL of Ren. The latter party being our primary target audience for promotionals.

This ends the constant fights and disappointments of whether updates are Ren-like enough, and the leaving of Classic players.
The new discussion would then be about updates being or not being C&C-like enough. As it should be.
While inviting delightful out-of-the-box thinking, and dreams coming true.

Programming-technically, it's a matter of disabling-changing certain X-features, as to gain a Classic experience.
The gamemodes could even be made votable in the endgame voting UI, should the admin decide not to dedicate the server to a certain gamemode.

Furthermore:
Beware of the day that a bunch of fresh developers decide that it's actually not thát much of a nightmare to rebuild the entire codebase on UE4.
As half of all programming efforts are always in the (program-)design part, while the other half is the actual coding itself.
That is: Programming-wise, we're already half done.

Having a modern, graphical, VR-capable and performance-optimized engine goes a long way towards attracting new players, as the game will be viewed as hot, modern, future-proof, and well.. NEW! ...And not as some random nostalgic mod with old-fashioned people who just Can't. Let. Go.

But I digress.

I think, for now, we're perfectly good (on a roll, even!) with the current UDK.
And I'm seriously impressed by what we have going right now, and the degree of openness and community engagement that I've seen so far.

I will never forget my first RenX Ion Beacon experience.
It's been crafted into my retina, so to speak.

Ever since, Totem Arts has gotten themselves a great fan and supporter.
Contributor, even.

I'm warming up.

-DH

Edited by DugeHick
  • Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
34 minutes ago, DugeHick said:

With the exception of a selectable "Classic Renegade" server-mode.

The way I see it, what could help the RenX community grow right now, is to actually offer two selectable gamemodes: "Classic Renegade" | "Renegade X".

"Classic Renegade" mode being a serious attempt to remaster the old-school Ren experience, with greatly improved graphics and UI's, while having 95% the same gameplay. The "Renegade X" mode, on the other hand, introduces all-NEW features such as base (re)building, exotic vehicle crates, sprinting, abuse-proof spectator mode, and whatnot.

While "Classic Renegade" primarily satisfies the nostalgia fanbase, the "Renegade X" mode catches the much bigger loyal-C&C fanbase of people who have been, in one way or another, disappointed with the relatively limited C&C feature-set and early EOL of Ren.

This ends the constant fights and disappointments of whether updates are Ren-like enough, and the leaving of Classic players.

I had begun work on this, but I don't really have the time to analyze everything and pick out what exactly needs to be changed. If you want to be that person for me, or if anyone does, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I already have some work done on this game mode.

https://github.com/sevans045/OGRenMutator

• Like 2

Get some Youtubers to review and play the game. Start with the C&C Youtubers and then branch out. 

One that comes to mind is Generals Gentleman.

But seriously, this community desperately needs the support of Youtubers. Ask around or maybe even offer some economic incentive for them to play.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:03 PM, Sarah. said:

I had begun work on this, but I don't really have the time to analyze everything and pick out what exactly needs to be changed. If you want to be that person for me, or if anyone does, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I already have some work done on this game mode.

https://github.com/sevans045/OGRenMutator

I'll get back to you on this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, DugeHick said:

I'll get back to you on this.

Hello Sarah,

Nice to meet you.
The name's Meerten.

I promised to get back to you on this.

I've recently allowed doubt to creep in, as to significantly investing in the OldRen gamemode right now.
It may be wise to postpone this to post-release.

Nevertheless, I still want to get a sense of exactly which elements are responsible for keeping those 64+ active players in there.
While they are using an ancient engine, a somewhat unreliable server list, and several kinds of hoops for the layman to jump through at install time.

Other than brand residue and nostalgia, they may still have positive, hard-to-articulate things that we don't.
Examples being smooth camera movement getting in and out of vehicles and superweapon weather effects.

In the meanwhile, I've been working round the clock on three new features for Renegade-X.

We can now commission: 
- a proprietary access control system
- an all-encompassing long-term player-statistics service a.k.a. "RenStats"
 and
- an advanced team balancer, to work with those RenStats

These systems are ready for integration and real-world testing.
And will be introduced shortly.

I realize this comes at the same time as the new shuffling algorithm.
I've subsumed that system as a fallback mechanism.

In the attachment you will find a list of general suggestions for this month.
The "Complexity" and "Effort" columns are estimates.

Sincerely,
DugeHick

May Update Suggestions.pdf

Edited by DugeHick
  • Confused 3

On the initial question on how to expand the community, I think the Pandora's Box is the link with EA's copyrighted material. This really restricts anyone from trying to generate revenue from this. 
So that sort of begs the question: ditch the C&C element and start a new "universe" disconnected from EA, but keep the gameplay elements? Or continue as is, treading the line on what is copyrighted? On a sidenote, this really shows the love for the game the devs have. Kudos on doing this. 

Then again, my heart would break if RenX is discontinued. Perhaps a fan community can keep it alive while TA builds their own thing with the experience they now have?