[Map] CNC-Sunrise

NodSaibot

• Totem Arts Staff

CNC-Sunrise v. 0.9.9

Each team has every building except for the Obelisk and AGT, respectively. This map contains 2 Tech Buildings, a Comms Center and Silo. Each base is on the lake front; the beach connects the base along with a cave structure that can be accessed by the beach or by a tunnel in each base. 

Situated in the serene piney woods of Oregon, a disturbance has found it's way onto Lake Amber. A new colony of tiberium has been discovered in this hushed corner of the United States. GDI recently acquired intel of this new deposit, and immediately set-up a base to protect the natural surroundings and harvest the tiberium. GDI commanders had wondered how this deposit had been unknown to them for so long; they would have expected the infection to have exponentially bigger... When they tested the site, it had seemed that the corruption had long been apart of the environment. Little known to them, Nod had already made camp just a few paces down the beach. Nod had been using a stealth generator ship and hidden radio signals to hide their camp from the GDI satellites and Homeland Security.

All criticism is appreciated.

Images

Spoiler

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.47a5f3314025105103f4bd1069a31297.pngScreenshot_2.thumb.png.c93fc1223c3bb5af70331545cd90e0ad.pngScreenshot_3.thumb.png.2e6a6eaafed2029ff771d61833ebace1.pngScreenshot_4.thumb.png.40f9741bfcae94cb1fda481b682daf7b.pngScreenshot_5.thumb.png.f545f17db097c9c920f3ea7afe0dac07.pngScreenshot_6.thumb.png.d53e27c69f959f83d080142e8131aa13.pngScreenshot_7.thumb.png.1fa6099abbea7caf3cda462457536136.pngScreenshot_8.thumb.png.0ecd9f7c3b0acec34c64aaa8d9428d75.png

Download

Map is open for all types of feedback.

Download here! (91 MB) (RX Forums) (1/23/2018)
Map is live on Public Map Test Server. Fast download is enabled. Feel free to jump on and test the map.

Bugs

Known:

Minimap isn't that great

Working on:

Fixed:

Inf path with the catwalk. (Can throw c4 on top of air, going to move the building to top of strip)

Ion kills air and PP. (Thanks Madkill!)

Nod harvy path/balancing both team dump times. (Thanks Madkill!)

All vehicle blockers

Accidental blocker at nod veh path

Other stuffs

Edited by Sarah!
Version 0.9.9
  • Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

The bases are very very open and so is the field. I strongly suggest to put some big rocks in the field so vehicles can't place themselfs anywhere and bombard the base. It's also good for cover so vehicles can take cover behind it

• Thanks 1

I've put my feedback in the screenshot below..

I've noticed that you only have 1,5 vehicle paths, with 2 choke points. I'd suggest making an alternative rock formation so you have 4 vehicle choke points. So in the screenshot below, ive marked your current setup in red to visualise, and made my suggestion in orange.

Further color explanation:

• Red = current vehicle path
  • Orange = suggested vehicle path
  • Green = suggested rock additions
  • Yellow = suggested building placement
  • Purple = suggested block off the map
  • Pink = suggested second infantry path (partially exposed to middle)

AyWPSaP-SJWnZk58SuhbNg.png

• Thanks 1

Guest Gliven

Geography[edit]

Main article: Berm (landform)

In coastal geography, a berm is a bank of sand or gravel ridge parallel to the shoreline and a few tens of centimetres high, created by wave action throwing material beyond the average level of the sea.

to counter the artillery arch shooting please keep in mind:

• Arties max. range / max. angle
  • height differences on the map
  • height of the building you'd like to protect

a building is "secure" from arch-artillery if:

• the rock is slightly higher than the building (rock close to the building)
  • the arty is on the same level as the building

Just try not to give arty drivers any possibility to get additional height by climbing a damn rock (that should be blocked off) :)

I'd suggest to make the large rocks smaller. Because their collision isn't exactly on the mesh, sometimes over and sometimes under it. Meaning that you will have parts with an invisible collision, and parts where you can go slightly inside the rock.

It can also look a lot better and more detailed that way.

6 hours ago, [CT]Sarah said:

It's more of a landing thing, the forest is the 'inland' part of the weird little thing. It's like a little chunk of land. 

327023-nature-landscape-lake-mountain-fo

I'm probably just gonna delete the beach and water and just make it into a forest map

I would suggest to keep the beach, change the palm trees to pines or the other types. Maybe change the scenery so it looks like a lake with mountains on the other side. (Just like in the posted picture)

Some paint art: 

CNC-camp_crystal_lake.thumb.png.e001ef3921d8f730b75507219682d87b.png

Edit: I just noticed, but this is like reversed lakeside xD

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
14 hours ago, Henk said:

I'd suggest to make the large rocks smaller. Because their collision isn't exactly on the mesh, sometimes over and sometimes under it. Meaning that you will have parts with an invisible collision, and parts where you can go slightly inside the rock.

It can also look a lot better and more detailed that way.

Yeah definitely, I was just getting em down to make a solid 'play area'. I also noticed I could hide inside of one of the rock meshes.

• Totem Arts Staff
12 hours ago, Schmitzenbergh said:

I would suggest to keep the beach, change the palm trees to pines or the other types. Maybe change the scenery so it looks like a lake with mountains on the other side. (Just like in the posted picture)

Some paint art: 

CNC-camp_crystal_lake.thumb.png.e001ef3921d8f730b75507219682d87b.png

Edit: I just noticed, but this is like reversed lakeside xD

Would it be worth making if it is that similar? :P I don't want to waste time on map no one will play... at this point(of course more fixes) is the 'map design' good enough or actual game play?

• Totem Arts Staff

Updated post. Added new pics.

@Schmitzenbergh, I added a few changes as requested, however I haven't decided on a proper rock texture and a way to make the land around the lake to look realistic. Also, the background trees are affected by shadows completely (check 3rd picture). Is there a way to fix this? I know this has something to do with the direction light but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. 

I have only started adding more details in the map, so obviously try not to judge it too hard, just tell me what can be done better next. 

3 hours ago, [CT]Sarah said:

Updated post. Added new pics.

@Schmitzenbergh, I added a few changes as requested, however I haven't decided on a proper rock texture and a way to make the land around the lake to look realistic. Also, the background trees are affected by shadows completely (check 3rd picture). Is there a way to fix this? I know this has something to do with the direction light but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. 

I have only started adding more details in the map, so obviously try not to judge it too hard, just tell me what can be done better next. 

I don't request changes, I suggest them. Feel free to use them as you please, it's your map! :)

I do like what I see though, even if it is WIP. Progressing well. You can make the lake and its surrounding more realistic in a later phase of the map, but keep in mind that it is a location that isn't accessable. Use backgroundrocks, cardboardtrees and even the landscape with a rock material to shape the surroundings. It only has to look nice from a distance. 

As for the trees with the shadow, it might be some shadow option on them. I think it was called "Cast self shadow" or something. Select them, press F4 and search for shadow and tinker a bit with the settings. Otherwise try rebuilding lighting.

If you have shaped the the lake a bit more I would suggest you work on the landscape a bit. If I look at screenshot3 I can notice a lot of 100% flat landscape. If it flatness what you are after, try and roughen it a bit up with the noise tool or something. Just don't keep it 100% flat. Overall, try to finish the landscape like 90% or so. All the other objects need to fit on that landscape so it would be a pain to change all the rocks and buildings again if you need to make big changes to the landscape.

Keep it up! The map looks interesting and has a foresty vibe to it. Waiting for the next progress update.

PS: If the lake and its surroundings are a bit more fleshed out, make a screenshot of it as seen from a player in the bases. That way we can see the scenery a lot more realistic than from an editor standpoint :)

PPS: Keep building the map if you like to build it. It reminds me of lakeside but as @Crowsy said, it is definitely not as the style of the map and the building placement is very different.

• Like 1

Could you toy around with the setting? Im no expert in shadow settings. I think it it either "No mod self shadow" of "self shadow only". Make sure all object don't cast a shadow to prevent that one row of trees shadows the other. Otherwise, look at goldrush or lakeside to see the settings on those trees there.

• Totem Arts Staff

I have the settings for background stuff like this:

599ed83a3963e_Screenshot(123).thumb.png.786d08167c1adb42829fc66e8be68f0a.png

(You don't need to keep the Dynamic Lights tick)

My little Suggestion for the map:

You need to move the airstrip, it isn't that good , that you can spawn kill the Nod tanks from the Field.

^But I know it is god dam difficult to find a good Nod base layout with this huge airstrip.

• Totem Arts Staff

Yeah I guess I'll get the lakeside water material and Post P Effects. Currently what I have is just a place holder while I focus on other stuff.

And yeah, especially since I don't want people to be able to ion 2 buildings, I was thinking of turning it 90% and making the end of the strip between Hon and ref, or maybe adding rocks to protect it better.

Thanks so much for your responses guys! I appreciate them all :)

Also: I need to change all trees to pine/fir instead of mixing them, I'll do it soon 😂

Edited by [CT]Sarah

Rotating the airstrip 180 degrees like I did on Tunnels can be a good solution imo. And then move the PP a bit more towards the lake or inwards to the base to prevent double ioning.

What would look nice I think is if you would have the roads lower than the grassfields next to the roads, look at how Crash Site and Field have done this. On field the landscape elevation really isn't that extreme but it still gives good enough cover. Like said before, best to do the landscape now, before you've added all of the details.

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Madkill40 said:

Might want that lake to be a bit more green, tiberium has this effect on water. 

Doesn't have to be, an emerald green lake would be an interesting beatification.

@[CT]SarahCheck the RX_Env_Dawn package for tib water

• Totem Arts Staff

i think she is on about the mountain reflection (the same trick is used on goldrush boats) the mountain is just a flat mesh and the reflection is the same mesh flipped horizontally and placed under the water mesh (water mat needs to be transparent)

i dont know of any other water reflections on lakeside

• Totem Arts Staff
On 8/29/2017 at 5:45 AM, Madkill40 said:

A picture of what you mean would be helpful.

On 8/29/2017 at 6:38 AM, kenz3001 said:

i think she is on about the mountain reflection (the same trick is used on goldrush boats) the mountain is just a flat mesh and the reflection is the same mesh flipped horizontally and placed under the water mesh (water mat needs to be transparent)

i dont know of any other water reflections on lakeside

The water of Lakeside is just a floating see-through plane with waves, and I don't know how to setup the water blur thing when you're under water.