Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

Guest Gliven

hey @Ryz Would you be up for commanding today's pug? I will command the other team. We can ask jeff, quincey and others to help us pick teams.

2 minutes ago, Ryz said:

@Gliven, np! All clear to me. Let's focus on tonights PUG and hope it will be a good one. I will make sure to get some booze here to ease the pain if it isn't :P

Pro tip: shut your mouth and let the commander do the work for you 9_9

2 minutes ago, Gliven said:

hey @Ryz Would you be up for commanding today's pug? I will command the other team. We can ask jeff, quincey and others to help us pick teams.

Sure! If others agree with it offcourse. 

Edited by Ryz

Just now, poi ❄ said:

Pro tip: shut your mouth and let the commander do the work for you 9_9

Than the commander has to open his / hers mouth. Last week (or two weeks ago) there wasn't even a commander and it all turned out good cause people listened to eachother. But I will keep the above in mind.

4 minutes ago, Ryz said:

Than the commander has to open his / hers mouth. Last week (or two weeks ago) there wasn't even a commander and it all turned out good cause people listened to eachother. But I will keep the above in mind.

I was just kidding ryz! just be commander tonight so you can lead people which you clearly like to do :) 

7 minutes ago, poi ❄ said:

I was just kidding ryz! just be commander tonight so you can lead people which you clearly like to do :) 

Hmm it's not that I have a preference to lead or be directed, I just prefer things to be clear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gliven said:

I actually wanted to record myself commanding this week to help give people a better idea of how to do it

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, CampinJeff said:

I actually wanted to record myself commanding this week to help give people a better idea of how to do it

What if the commanders record?

• Like 1

Complex

10 minutes in and Nod is getting destroyed by meds.

Tomb

Long back-and-forth vehicle fight on both silo and harvester sides. Nod with the advantage early on, then the more meds on field, the stronger GDI was getting. Nod PP went down to meds around 20th minute while hotwire caused distraction in HoN, but Nod was still holding on for a good 15 minutes. The rest of their base was destroyed as Nod attempted a desperate rocket rush through the tunnel.

Goldrush

2 early soldier rushes by GDI - 1 going for ref from the front entrance, the other for hon - were fended off, but GDI managed to take control of the field anyway. Being pressured by meds from the front and sydneys/infantry from the bridge was too much for Nod. HoN went down first.

Walls

3 humvees filled with 6 engineers destroyed the not-yet-mined HoN and it was basically game over.

2-2, ~15v15, good games, balanced teams.

Meds stronk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quincy said:

2-2, ~15v15, good games, balanced teams.

The wins felt 'good' the loses felt reasonable and fair! :), GG!

Oh maybe I should return to my normal mode:
What a f*cking game. First map we were GDI and all the 15 players ignored the teamchat and everybody bought meds instead of the stanks which got order by the commander who didn't say who he was. Than 12 people were asked to solo nuke, but nobody did. Later our SBH rush failed cause all the GDI units disagreed to get them.  Second map, when we were Nod I asked for meds but nobody listened. Minutes later I demanded a rush through the Tiberiumfield, but all the McFarlands refused to get chemsuites and we died. After that we lost the game cause nobody defended the Temple of Nod cause they were unable to find it on the minimap and to make it even worse: people failed to deliver pizza to Kane so he blew up our obelisk and the whole team got killed.  At the final part off the game 12(!) defenders camped a building which was already destroyed while our 3 attackers failed to kill the enemy 'insert random building' again cause it couldn't be killed twice. Horrible disaster...

No, just serious, was one of the best PUG's in months. Good balance, good mood, good games. Played on both teams (and got a change to actually improve 'my' win/loss ratio that way) but both sides felt like being dedicated, honest, skilled and coördinated. If only half the PUG's could be like this we will have a completely different Renegade-X PUG Era. Nice job ppl!

Complex mistake was thinking we had enough people to sustain 10 vehicles, keep buildings repaired, and fight with inf at the same time. You can't do that with 15 people.

Also I don't see how putting the airstrip house next to the GDI base is supposed to make that map better

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

So there was no real PUG today (Took 1 and a half hour to gather 16 people). We played only a small game of Field.

Quite disappointing :/

But yeah. This is what happens when you let @Schmitzenbergh control the music :P

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I should take back over commanding one of these days... 

Also... GDI is just inherently overpowered due to numbers... which is one of those necessary evils for PUBs.. I've mentioned this forever ago, and every time teams are balanced GDI WILL win, unless Nod gets away with something ridiculous. Granted I think we need more than 1 week of pure GDI wins to just suddenly go all Oprah status on nerfing GDI units. 

Like on Tomb... we actually had an opportunity to Stank rush with just 3-4 Stanks that we didn't take. 

I think equally nerfing hotwires/techs would hurt GDI a lot more than Nod. From my observations, hotties are purchased far more often than technicians, and toning down their combat (heavy pistol) and removing flak armor would have quite an impact. Another thing that I've been thinking is probably a tank shell nerf that would lean more towards Nod's favor. Basically slow down all tank shells (meds/mammoth/light/arty) to a similar speed like in OG ren, so it makes it a lot easier to dodge things (light tank buff).

Or just make LCGs strong vs vehicles again, since the patch buff and the spin-up can make quite a difference

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Canucck said:

Also I don't see how putting the airstrip house next to the GDI base is supposed to make that map better

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I vote for old complex

Edited by poi ❄
  • Like 1

Islands - Nod rolls out pure arty with flame tank cover and locks GDI permanently in their base. Arts kill ref, nuke on WF, GDI surrenders after a failed inf rush on HON.

Mesa - Artys wreck GDI base right off the bat despite GDI winning the harvester due to a buggy picking off reps. GDI tries an APC rush but failed. 

Glasses - Tanks battle it out for 30 minutes with Nod having the upper hand for the majority of the time. A multi-pronged attack on WF with stanks and AGT/Ref by artys destroys 3 buildings.

Tunnels - Long tank/sniper battle for 40 minutes. GDI has the veterancy advantage despite their PP dying to infiltration and continues to farm vehicles as they drop off in the strip. Nod PP dies and they surrender.

3-1

• Like 1

This PUG pretty much establishes that light tanks are the reason why Nod loses. Two artillery deal nearly the same damage as three light tanks, and as long as there's a technician on you the amount of HP you have doesn't really factor in too much. With a vehicle limit in RenX it would best to most optimally maximize damage output with the given vehicle count, and light tanks have the worst AT and anti-inf capability in the game. Flame tanks have nearly twice the damage output if not more, while serving as much better cover for technicians and thus playing a more consistent role as the damage soak. Stanks would replace Flame tanks on open maps and would still be a much more effective choice than lights as the damage soak despite having 400 HP because the reasons stated above, even when considering Stanks don't have passenger seats. 

Also on top of that lights give a generous amount of VP (+7) on recruit, 2 more than the arty and 1 less than flamers/meds.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
8 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

This PUG pretty much establishes that light tanks are the reason why Nod loses.

Not willing to believe just off of 1 PUG with 4 maps. On maps with hills and places for light tanks to hide and exploit a low profile they can prove more annoying than Flames and Arts. That's not to say they probably don't need a buff in some aspect though... but breaking the field gameplay is easy, as we've seen before. 

Also, are we all in favour of perhaps a PUG with a no-sniper mutator? Well, that, or just take the easy route and make them like 9999 credits since it's faster.  Just as an expiriment more than anything. More than likely GDI will just rofl stomp... but it's worth taking a gander.  Granted peraps we should hold off till an EMP buff for that one. May drop a patch this week if I get time. 

• Like 2

The veterancy numbers make sense to adjust, but GDI and Nod are balanced despite the light tank's performance.

This is why I suggested veterancy granting purchase privileges when buildings are down. It'd be a fair fight, if it were lights vs mrls, or meds vs arties, but meds != lights, and arties != mrls.

On that note, and the note of veterancy, reward for destroying a vehicle, should go, med>arty>light>mrls, or something. MRLS should grant little veterancy since it's utility on top of flimsy, Arty shouldn't reward too much because it's flimsy, but Light is outright unthreatening and shouldn't yield a reward for destroying it.

I'd even daresay Mammy should drop down to 1400 or 1200 credits, based on cost compared to infantry or other tanks, or that Arty and Light should switch costs... but all of that would get really unstable and unfamiliar, yet veterancy is "new" and there's no "standard" yet, so reducing light tank kill reward is a good start.

I don't think I've ever actually used a light tank in a PUG yet. There just isn't a reason to.

• Arties can also utilize cover and hold open areas of field. They're also cheaper and they kill shit.
  • APCs and Buggies are also pretty fast. They're also cheaper and they kill infantry.
  • Stanks can also utilize hills for cover and can provide sudden rushes. They also have stealth and they kill shit.
  • Flamers can also tank a ton of hits for a team. They're also perceived as a MUCH higher priority target than Lights and they kill shit.

Light tanks, can't kill shit. If they can't out DPS a Hotwire's repairs it really doesn't matter how good you are as a player. You simply can't win against someone with a infinite effective HP. You might be able to win if you kill the repairs, but given the terrible DPS of light tanks and flak armour of hotties, there's a fair chance you'll end up dying before that.

2 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Also, are we all in favour of perhaps a PUG with a no-sniper mutator? Well, that, or just take the easy route and make them like 9999 credits since it's faster.  Just as an expiriment more than anything. More than likely GDI will just rofl stomp... but it's worth taking a gander.  Granted peraps we should hold off till an EMP buff for that one. May drop a patch this week if I get time. 

I don't mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Not willing to believe just off of 1 PUG with 4 maps. On maps with hills and places for light tanks to hide and exploit a low profile they can prove more annoying than Flames and Arts. That's not to say they probably don't need a buff in some aspect though... but breaking the field gameplay is easy, as we've seen before. 

The stank can do much more annoying things with its missile launcher on the top of the vehicle. There are so many spots where you can shoot at meds and they can't shoot back, such as the small hill next to the GDI tib on Field.

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic