Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

it wasn't that bad of a pug. but mesa like wtf. how can gdi just out of nowhere take a full health tank down in less than a second?

saw only 1 mam. tank that entire game and barely any shots towards the our tanks, yet they got fucking destroyed as fuck

Edited by HuskerDoggo

4 minutes ago, HuskerDoggo said:

it wasn't that bad of a pug. but mesa like wtf. how can gdi just out of nowhere take a full health tank down in less than a second?

saw only 1 mam. tank that entire game and barely any shots towards the our tanks, yet they got fucking destroyed as fuck

Mammoths can nearly one shot artys, always been like that, and had 2 mams most of the time

• Totem Arts Staff

First Game: Walls Flying

The team from I think @Gliven spammed meds out of their base and locked Nod in the base. At the same time a SBH squad were destroying both Sam Sites. Nod tried to break the lock with Apaches, but that doesn't worked. The buldings died one after the other.

@CampinJeff   vs  @Gliven

0              -           1

Second Game: Complex

@CampinJeff's team started a Med spam and @Gliven's team started an Arty spam. After some perma on the Weapons Factory, the Artys were destroyed and soon the GDI team started to lock Nod in their base. The GDI Medium Tanks were rushing in and deployed an ion on the end of the strip and destroyed it. The Refinery and Hand of Nod were destroyed by tanks from the outside and by an ion canon.

@CampinJeff  vs  @Gliven

1              -          1

Thrid Game: Lakeside Flying

@Gliven's team denied the stank rush from @CampinJeff and started to lock Nod in their base. The Nod buildings got a lot of perma and @CampinJeff already wanted to surrender, the GDI did a med rush and all tanks got cleared by the Nod team. The GDI fogot to get new tanks and Nod got some really important Harvester dumbs. Then, after like 3 stank rushes and a lot of perma on the Weapons Factory, Nod made an Apache rush and destroyed the GDI refinery. After a denied Sydney rush the GDI team surrenderd.

@CampinJeff  vs @Gliven

2           -         1

Fourth Game: Mesa

Nod lost the first Harvester and GDI saved their Harvester. So the GDI was able to counter their Artys very fast with Medium Tanks. After the GDI got the short side, they destroyed every Harvester on the long side and saved many of their Harvesters. After like 15 minutes the Nod Refinery were destroyed by MRLS, Mediums and Mammoths. I am not sure, but I think the Nod team surrendered after that.

@CampinJeff vs  @Gliven

3            -          1

I think the Pug wasn't very bad for both teams. @Gliven's team did a good job on Lakeside and Walls, but sometimes they forgot to do important things, for example get new tanks on Lakeside or on Mesa send more people to the Harvester to kill it. But I just hope, that everyone had fun today. :)

I like the Pugs from the last weeks and I'm looking forward to the next Pug. And it was nice to know that on the Pug server and on the CT Marathon server were more then 100 people online. :)

RENEGADE IS GETTING GREAT AGAIN!!!

Don't make it good -

Make it better.

See you on the next Pugs, guys.

Edited by Luhrian
  • Like 4

Thanks for the recap, Luhrian.

Really good PUG. It was weird to me that we first got stomped by mass tanks on Walls and later that evening we stomped the enemy team with tanks as well on Mesa. May it be that GDI tanks are so much better? Hmm.

Lakeside was the best game and a very close one. Had GDI destroyed Airstrip with that push where they sacrificed all tanks to take it down to 3 health, they would have probably won. Nod forcing a comeback despite being on a big veterancy and economic disadvantage felt amazing. 

Edited by Quincy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Quincy said:

Thanks for the recap, Luhrian.

Really good PUG. It was weird to me that we first got stomped by mass tanks on Walls and later that evening we stomped the enemy team with tanks as well on Mesa. May it be that GDI tanks are so much better? Hmm.

Lakeside was the best game and a very close one. Had GDI destroyed Airstrip with that push where they sacrificed all tanks to take it down to 3 health, they would have probably won. Nod forcing a comeback despite being on a big veterancy and economic disadvantage felt amazing. 

Think GDI is super strong with high player counts because their tanks are individually better and there's more room for repairs. Nonstop 10/10 meds with available hands for repairs will beat any Nod vehicle composition. However it did show that blobs of advanced repairs behind tanks and inf are difficult to stop because of flak armor and heavy pistol. 

2 hours ago, Quincy said:

Because Med tanks are the best tanks.

I would like light tanks to be buffed a bit more in the maneuverability and speed area. Faster turret rotation, slight turn rate buff, maybe 5% overall speed buff. I don't want them tankier, but I do want them to more easily dodge fire. I just want it to feel a bit more unique and useful. I don't want it to be a med tank.

As it stands now, they are pretty pointless, even in early game where they can be useful. Whereas, every vehicle GDI has a use. (Except Wolverine where that applies..maybe Recon bike too, but it's fun as hell lol)

Guest Gliven

I had fun during this PUG, i wouldn't mind commanding again. But only saturdays. don't want to command on sundays with the lower player count.

2 hours ago, Hohndo said:

Because Med tanks are the best tanks.

I would like light tanks to be buffed a bit more in the maneuverability and speed area. Faster turret rotation, slight turn rate buff, maybe 5% overall speed buff. I don't want them tankier, but I do want them to more easily dodge fire. I just want it to feel a bit more unique and useful. I don't want it to be a med tank.

As it stands now, they are pretty pointless, even in early game where they can be useful. Whereas, every vehicle GDI has a use. (Except Wolverine where that applies..maybe Recon bike too, but it's fun as hell lol)

As of right now light tanks are only good/decent on maps with multiple vehicle paths and entrances that don't lead to the same place. Complex, Tomb, and Field for example are good maps for light tanks because they can actually use their speed as a real advantage to get from one point to another. I agree that they should get a turret turn speed increase to help them switch targets, but increasing speed may make the APC more obsolete. 

The problem is that most maps have 8-10 vehicles or something. Vehicles are a team's main source of firepower, and light tanks have the worst DoT. Artys covered by stanks/flamers as meat shields instead of lights have far more damage potential when it comes sieging or breaking out of one. In fact I think the flame tank by itself deals nearly the twice the damage of a light, and stanks aren't too far behind either. 

Tank speed is vastly overrated in large games. Dodging enemy tank fire just means the guys behind you take the hits instead - the field repairs. If you're trying to achieve field control its usually much easier to achieve a higher "effective hp" by just keeping your repairs alive than it is to do any fancy dodging. The useless additional speed, low profile and low damage of light tanks makes it a terrible choice for holding field when you can easily achieve way more in cover with a artillery or stank if in open field.

I'd like to see light tanks get remodeled into a bit more of a hit & run unit. Like adding a long reload autocannon as a secondary fire or something. Having a some form of burst damage to (briefly) overwhelm enemy field repairs would help counter GDI tank sieges.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, KrypTheBear said:

I swear the fuckmount of screaming and cheering for the destroyed Refinery gets me laughing violently xD 

ROFLMAO ...... That is literally the most hype I have ever heard in a PUG EVER.

And because of that, I declare that Team Gliven won... cuz we definitely had the most fun. 

2 hours ago, Xeon Wraith said:

Tank speed is vastly overrated in large games. Dodging enemy tank fire just means the guys behind you take the hits instead - the field repairs. If you're trying to achieve field control its usually much easier to achieve a higher "effective hp" by just keeping your repairs alive than it is to do any fancy dodging. The useless additional speed, low profile and low damage of light tanks makes it a terrible choice for holding field when you can easily achieve way more in cover with a artillery or stank if in open field.

I'd like to see light tanks get remodeled into a bit more of a hit & run unit. Like adding a long reload autocannon as a secondary fire or something. Having a some form of burst damage to (briefly) overwhelm enemy field repairs would help counter GDI tank sieges.

Hit and run is kinda how I used to use the them in old Renegade. I could actually hold my own by being unpredictable in a light tank without repairs.

On Field I would move and turn every which way and the meds would try and predict where I was going to.

On more than one occasion, 3v1 med tanks because of how good I got at avoiding getting hit, which I feel is how that tank is supposed to work, constantly in motion.

The problem we have now is that projectiles from tanks are much faster in this version. It takes that strategy out of the game.

The Tick Tanks I honestly almost feel should just replace the light tanks entirely. Because even though they are a little slower, they feel much more fluid with their much higher turn rate and overall responsiveness. Plus that fit the gimmicky role much better with their dig in feature that almost all other NOD units have.

Edited by Hohndo

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, Xtractor said:

On Walls Saturday The number ONE Reason why GDI won is ..imo ..Their  Excellent Job of the Repair crew ! ..and Nod failed to kill them ( ref.Apaches)

I'm too pro in killing apaches with med :P

Complex - Nod wins through brute force with better tanks/repairs, GDI never got proper field control

Volcano - Nod gets the harvy advantage and rolls down as per usual with mass tanks

Tunnels - Nod stank rush kills Bar/PP, while GDI infiltrators kill HON, Ref, and Strip. Nod masses rockets and gets an armor break on WF, but eventually GDI then wins with tank spam. 

2-1

Guest Gliven

Watching other peoples recordings, i find it very hard to understand anyone half the time, you people need to lower your in-game volume settings. When there is bullets and rockets flying, explosions everywhere. people spamming for building repairs, 20 people talking. you cant hear anyone. Ryz keeps saying no one is listening. I'm pretty sure its because no one can hear anyone. On complex i asked for an apc rush on the bar, when the left was clear. We got seiged and i said fuck it, just repair. and push the tanks out. I don't think he heard me when i said to not worry about it. 

• Totem Arts Staff
24 minutes ago, Gliven said:

Watching other peoples recordings, i find it very hard to understand anyone half the time, you people need to lower your in-game volume settings. When there is bullets and rockets flying, explosions everywhere. people spamming for building repairs, 20 people talking. you cant hear anyone. Ryz keeps saying no one is listening. I'm pretty sure its because no one can hear anyone. On complex i asked for an apc rush on the bar, when the left was clear. We got seiged and i said fuck it, just repair. and push the tanks out. I don't think he heard me when i said to not worry about it. 

I have set my in-game sound lower at the Sunday PUG. Some sounds are really loud and some are really soft. 

For example: Apaches make a lot of noise so you can't hear each other (Like on Walls, Whiteout, Lakeside etc.)

I hope the Sunday PUG episodes are better :)

Guest Gliven
5 minutes ago, Norc said:
  Hide contents

@14:55 one of the moments where my suicidal nature was actually useful

This is what saved your base. Also not Orca rushing right after. But by the time I realized that we had been pushed back, we already had about 6 or 7 tanks driving back to nod base with no repairs.

56 minutes ago, Gliven said:

Good old ryz it's always the "team" the person that likes to make apc rushes when your base is getting fucked. I don't have the problem with not hearing people specially ryz because he is pretty loud with his ideas. (no offense ryz). And yes your team had all the "loud" people :> ahh well xD

Edited by poi ❄

Guest Gliven
3 minutes ago, poi ❄ said:

Good old ryz it's always the "team" the person that likes to make apc rushes when your base is getting fucked. I don't have the problem with not hearing people specially ryz because he is pretty loud with his ideas. (no offense ryz). And yes your team had all the "loud" people :> ahh well xD

Well it was MY idea, not ryz's for getting an apc. The problem was he kept to the plan after i said not to worry about it. But i dont think he heard me. And yes we had all the loud people. but I think that is why most of us had so much fun. I did pick my team after all.

Last week I think I was pretty quit for my behaviour @poi ❄. But I talked about the game with @Gliven yesterday and told him that I was almost never able to hear him. This wasn't only for me, but for a lot of players. I have set my TS sound to be harder than the game BTW. Not hearing eachother was the main issue of the game. 22 people is a lot, but if people are using teamchat more for fun than for communication it doesn't work. I also don't understand why everybody who is spamming random stuff doesn't get a complaint and that people, when I ask for them to keep the channel clear so we can hear others, care to respond with shutup Ryz various times, but I am used to it nowadays. If you f*ck around and do your own thing you're good, but if you point out you can't hear teamchat than you are complaining and get blamed for that.

Talking about rushes: I know how to play the more tactical @poi ❄ and sometimes I do. But if games endup in the same behavior for the same map every time than I like to do different stuff if the commander agrees. I think PUG's should be there for a more adventurous style of gaming instead of just going 'on safe.' I swear I rather have 8 games with a lot of different fights, than 4 with standard stuff in which we either win or lose. Nevertheless I always try to stick to the plan, if I can hear it... 

BTW; In the last round I didn't care anymore. Lakeside was pretty good, but could have been way better if we communicated better. I emp'ed the ref twice in the endgame during a rush, only for people to go to the other door for example... I don't mind we lost that, but it's kinda sad if you end up in a building twice alone, while you see your teammates running into the mines from the other side and die (if they didnt get shot out of the air)... After that I was open for another round, but lost my interest cause we couldn't change the plan besides arties, even though we lost the harvester and they got theirs. We had a disadventage and could have overcome it by improvising, but had to stick to the 'autistic' get arties. Like there is nothing else you can do on Mesa...

• Totem Arts Staff
43 minutes ago, Ryz said:

Not hearing eachother was the main issue of the game. 22 people is a lot, but if people are using teamchat more for fun than for communication it doesn't work.

If you watch the videos you can clearly see a difference in tone between both sides.  Jeff's is a more professional and serious tone focused on winning the game, while on Gliven's side you hear NOM NOM NOM. 

I understand the whole having fun instead of taking it seriously but why are we playing these private matches then?  Wasn't the whole purpose of the Pick Up Game to have competitive gameplay to avoid the silliness in the public servers?

We want to have fun but we should put it behind winning unless we're no different than joining the public servers.

• Like 1

Guest Gliven
48 minutes ago, Ryz said:

After that I was open for another round, but lost my interest cause we couldn't change the plan besides arties, even though we lost the harvester and they got theirs. We had a disadventage and could have overcome it by improvising, but had to stick to the 'autistic' get arties. Like there is nothing else you can do on Mesa...

Improvise how? arties are all we could afford after we lost the harvester. If we went long route, our airstrip and ref would have been bombarded by meds mrls and gunners. We wouldnt be able to replenish our tanks because they would have been shot as soon as they landed if we didnt contest the short route. If we went rockets or chems through the center we would have no tanks at all. boom game over. They ended up controlling both sides because we couldnt keep our tank count up.

Guest Gliven
3 minutes ago, LavaDr4gon said:

If you watch the videos you can clearly see a difference in tone between both sides.  Jeff's is a more professional and serious tone focused on winning the game, while on Gliven's side you hear NOM NOM NOM. 

I understand the whole having fun instead of taking it seriously but why are we playing these private matches then?  Wasn't the whole purpose of the Pick Up Game to have competitive gameplay to avoid the silliness in the public servers?

We want to have fun but we should put it behind winning unless we're no different than joining the public servers.

You can have noms and get serious when needed. The only times we werent "serious" and "professional" is when people yelled nom nom nom, or when people started ragging on ryz. To be honest the only difference between the two teams was the experience of the captain. The only reason we lost lakeside was because i didnt really want to orca rush when we already had tanks in nod's base. Had i known all of our repairs were dead and no new ones were on the way. I would have told everyone to stop buying meds.

@Ryz In the end PUGs are about winning. Going for standard tank rollout is the most common strat because it's the most substantial. Teams can go for any silly rush they'd want, but pulling one off without field control first would mean almost certain death. You'd get spotted, enemy tanks roll in and overwhelm your defenders, and you lose. 

~

Also want to point out the definition of "keeping the tank limit up" to everyone. It's not just selecting the vehicle on the PT; that doesn't at all make me think you're a significant player. It's more so about staying alive. I often judge players on their skill level on how they behave with a tank, sometimes more than their aim with infantry. Common annoyances I see is people rolling out with 0 repairs and ending up getting mauled, throwing away tanks into an overwhelming ball of enemy vehicles, not utilizing cover in the field and wandering in the open, not protecting field repairs, driving certain tanks forward and not backwards, or not falling back behind healthy tanks when low on HP. As soon as I see people learning how to stay alive with a tank, they become one of the better players in my book because that knowledge translates to other game mechanics, particularly field repair. 

• Like 2

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic