Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

13 minutes ago, YagiHige said:

I'm not a moderator to control hostility, and it's obviously a conflict of interest when directed towards me, 

It wasn't directed towards you, lol. It was directed towards the people playing reservoir during the long ass pug.

Certain people wanted to quit because they were bored. If they had quit, they would have destroyed the balance of the game.

The players during the pug are hand picked prior to the game to be balanced. Why the hell would you(not you yagi) just abandon your(again not you) team like that? Why would you(still not you) even play in the pug, where we try to achieve some sort of competitiveness with good communication.

If you wanted to goof around and do w.e. Go join a pub or grab a bunch of people to join an empty server. Don't ruin everyone elses fun just because you cant have fun while "losing". If the game gets stalematey. try an unorthodox strat. if it doesn't work....oh well. Don't just sit there and complain. Also dont just leave your team high and dry by leaving and screwing over the balance.

Also what problem with the community are you talking about? People get salty when things get competitive. Maybe you should take your own advice for group B and grow a fucking spine. some balls would be good too. Holy crap man. You blow up everytime someone so as much sneezes at you.

also Kryp wasnt trying to be hostile either. He was just saying you dont HAVE to tell everyone if you are attending or not. we can find out during the warm up if you plan to join or not.

@YagiHige

Okay, I may have reacted a bit too oversensitive. But I won't apology for my post here, let me explain though:

- I stated my opinion as factual as I could [yes, I was annoyed about something -> I was pissed :D]

- I didn't insult anyone, nor did I mention any names

- I joined the PUGs to experience dedicated, organized teamplay.

[Sorry for the many *I's*]

If I remember correctly @YagiHige you quit the PUGs due to imbalanced teams causing 1 team  to lose ~90% of the time [sorry if I got that wrong] - and even as a community moderator you left pretty pissed posts here.

The last few weeks, now even months, the PUGs are great as f*. I think there was only 1 occasion which was very imbalanced due to bad team communication on 1 team, ending with a commander-ragequit. But all in all the PUGs improved a lot! :)

Before that, I literally quit the Saturdays PUGs [too many people, not much fun] and only played the Sunday ones. Then at some point I decided to be a dedicated healer. Which is an unpopular job, even if you conquer the heart of any tanker [if you react in time... sorry Jessca & Kryp xD].

So the only annoying thing during organised RenX PUGs is the tendency of people to lament about stalemate matches. Stalemate because the teams are balanced. And because of the map - which needed a [almost] 40 player PUG test.

Regards,

Sn4ke

I blew up and made valid points. You can't seriously expect to run a weekend match like this. First, your praise be almighty for the team balance, but it's often bullocks out the starting gate. Secondly, you can't rebalance mid-match? That's pretty important for basic-administration 101, if you can't do that, you have worse problems than people leaving mid-match. The fact that they DON'T push people to balance numbers sometimes, is just disgusting in and of itself. Lastly, it was simply way too hostile. I was hostile, because it was hostile, and it demonstrates how hostile it was. They didn't even need be directed towards me, they were directed at people who, if new and gave game chance, would instantly leave. You simply can't be doing this to a community, you're killing yourselves in the worst way a community can do it, I shouldn't be the only one to have seen this elsewhere.

I'll probably put up with it for the long run. I tend to do that. You can't expect, with 1 person moving on here and there, over time, to be sustainable with a hostile attitude toward matches like these. If that's the case, make them AOW again, or otherwise encourage a game to end under an hour. An hour on a single map, is asking kind of sort of a whole fucking lot from a videogame participant.

Honestly, at THAT point, the game could use higher escalation mechanics, or the map could use more openings since it was a particular map that was being tried out. Thought it was agreed long ago, that 39 hour marathon matches were not in the best interest of the game.

6 minutes ago, Gliven said:
34 minutes ago, YagiHige said:

I'm not a moderator to control hostility, and it's obviously a conflict of interest when directed towards me, 

It wasn't directed towards you, lol. It was directed towards the people playing reservoir during the long ass pug.

@YagiHige Sorry if I caused a disaccord. Everything is fine between you & me [I hope :)].

I was just frustrated because of that issue during the Saturdays PUG. As I wrote above and in other posts before. The PUG was good, intensive and a map balance test ;)

@DarkSn4ke, it was loud, it wasn't calling you out directly. You haven't wronged me. The point was that I not-so-humbly request the community set the standards a little more realistic and quit snapping at people for showing up to play a fucking videogame. If they leave, depending on how easily they did it, and how many did, it may not be their fault for leaving, leaving may have been the "sane" thing to do for anyone who has a "sane and sober" level of commitment to a game. Expecting people to have an unrealistic and drunkenly-attached level of commitment, isn't a very viable demographic to cater to.

12 minutes ago, YagiHige said:

I blew up and made valid points. You can't seriously expect to run a weekend match like this. First, your praise be almighty for the team balance, but it's often bullocks out the starting gate. Secondly, you can't rebalance mid-match? That's pretty important for basic-administration 101, if you can't do that, you have worse problems than people leaving mid-match. The fact that they DON'T push people to balance numbers sometimes, is just disgusting in and of itself. Lastly, it was simply way too hostile. I was hostile, because it was hostile, and it demonstrates how hostile it was. They didn't even need be directed towards me, they were directed at people who, if new and gave game chance, would instantly leave. You simply can't be doing this to a community, you're killing yourselves in the worst way a community can do it, I shouldn't be the only one to have seen this elsewhere.

Sorry Yagi, but I have to say: you don't know what you're talking about in that case - beause you couldn't take part in Saturdays PUG.

The teams were balanced! And apart from the players I wrote about everyone fought until the bitter end. Read the recaps. Re-read my posts this Saturdays PUG.

Nod won because they defended harder. And they had 2 players with combined] 196 kills [combined death ~40]. But even though the teams were balanced! GDI had armor break bonus on HoN [0 health left!] and another building for a very long time. But Nod had the superiority on vehicle kills -> Early Elites & Heroics soon after [side-effect of the building VP nerf]

Edited by DarkSn4ke
typos

2 minutes ago, YagiHige said:

@DarkSn4ke, it was loud, it wasn't calling you out directly. You haven't wronged me. The point was that I not-so-humbly request the community set the standards a little more realistic and quit snapping at people for showing up to play a fucking videogame. If they leave, depending on how easily they did it, and how many did, it may not be their fault for leaving, leaving may have been the "sane" thing to do for anyone who has a "sane and sober" level of commitment to a game. Expecting people to have an unrealistic and drunkenly-attached level of commitment, isn't a very viable demographic to cater to.

That's true. But it's another topic. Noone left the PUG early [if I remember correctly]. And if they do so, they just write: sorry guys, have to go, have a date.. - and everyone is fine with that :)

I noticed that, and decided to disregard the actual internal contradiction that "people shouldn't leave because it'll unbalance the match, and people leaving was the cause of unbalance, yet the match was actually balanced, and way more balanced than many of the ones just over a month ago that caused certain people to stop showing up".

Which also supports the idea "people leaving shouldn't be so volatile as to throw off match balance". Either it was, and administration is to blame, or it wasn't, and nobody's to blame.

Otherwise, here's an idea: Make the PUG invite only, only active members who's IP are white-listed, and collaborate a week in advance to get it with a reputable friend who's already in, can join. That's literally the only reason you should EXPECT that level of commitment. If you want that, do that. Don't have open-attendance, and then get mad at players for "existing". Excuse the fuck outta them.

When my schedule does open up on a weekend, I'll actually try to join, as I do have an interest. I'll just to request your pardons for existing, as it's a disability I tend to have, where I just "exist", and I'm taking medication for it, I promise. (Well, I'm self-medicating, if alcohol counts)

Balancing player skill is always impossible with such a small player count. Especially when we balance based off of perceived judgments of skill. Also trying to balance between matches will have the same problem. Should we pick the maps first? and then allocate certain players for certain maps for certain teams? will swapping one "better" player to the losing side really be an effective balance? 

You know what really screws over balance? leaving

first match 20vs20 second match 20vs19. 

Also bitching and moaning is very detrimental to team morale. Also how the hell can you have fun when you are complaining? Go out into the field and blow up some tanks, go have fun. People need to learn how to control frustration, use that energy to try and figure out a way to win. You will start having more fun when you stop getting so angry.

You can win games while having a k/d ratio with 10/46, although not recomended. STOP STANDING STILL OR RUNNING IN STRAIGHT LINES WHEN YOU KNOW PEOPLE ARE SNIPING YOU.

Depends on who's sniping. "Moving" is not an effective counter to a good sniper. If you're an engi, and specifically if your tanks screw you or you don't have any options for cover from sniper's perch, then you're simply screwed.

Might as well suggest Cranky Kong's famous meme, "GitGud". Just snipe them back twice as fast as they snipe you, easy fix no? No.

39 minutes ago, YagiHige said:

Depends on who's sniping. "Moving" is not an effective counter to a good sniper. If you're an engi, and specifically if your tanks screw you or you don't have any options for cover from sniper's perch, then you're simply screwed.

Might as well suggest Cranky Kong's famous meme, "GitGud". Just snipe them back twice as fast as they snipe you, easy fix no? No.

Walking through open terrain without cover is what gets you sniped. Learn your angles (know how to peek and move around corners) same applies for cover. This game has 3rd person so its even easier to see around corners. utilize vehicle cover, either by being behind them or in them. Also if you know a good sniper is locking down an area...why go through that area? Soooo many people try to 1v1 poi or zen or who ever in the tunnels....why would you do that to yourself. Im not saying they are gods and you cant touch them....but why feed them points and waste your time. I have never had trouble with snipers....and i dont snipe.

Best tip to deal with snipers... Call out where they are.

If you are a hotwire/technician in the field repairing tanks. You can tell your tanker in front of you to move to cover you....if they are overextending and you cant heal them, don't chase after them. If they ignore you, go repair someone else.

34 minutes ago, Gliven said:

Soooo many people try to 1v1 poi or zen or who ever in the tunnels....

it's Xen xD and don't forget about Minji, Deadbeat and many others... ;)

@KrypTheBear was a good Mammoth cover for me during the Saturdays PUG, same with Havoc and Jessica. Other players (tankers) move in way, no healer can follow (with cover). Guess I got killed more often by sneaky @Marty11 [stank] & pois LT or splash dmg than by bibi or xen.

Whats more important for a field repair? Cover from Splash dmg or cover from snipers >_<

Now that I'm home I can finally reply

4 hours ago, YagiHige said:

I don't know how that came off as animosity to you. I was just saying, I am trying to attend one legit, but a 70 minute map is not ideal.

Should I just not post anymore? I feel like that's what's being asked of me.

As Gliven had said, it was by no means meant to offend. It was just to point out that "Guys guys, I will join next time -doesn't appear in next PUG-" isn't productive in this thread. I'm not posting if I will join in a PUG unless I've had something relevant to say before. Just posting if you will attend is... I dunno man. Ask yourself the question, whether this thread would be interesting if everyone wrote that they will/will not be attending at the PUG. 

3 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

Before that, I literally quit the Saturdays PUGs [too many people, not much fun] and only played the Sunday ones. Then at some point I decided to be a dedicated healer. Which is an unpopular job, even if you conquer the heart of any tanker [if you react in time... sorry Jessca & Kryp xD].

Dude I don't have enough !rec's to say how nice it is to see you heal in EVERY. FUCKING. PUG. 

Like everytime we fight against eachother on Walls I catch you repairing people. It's very nice to see someone do a job usually nobody does or wants to do. 
And honestly, you did just fine on Reservoir. 

Spoiler
3 hours ago, YagiHige said:

I'll probably put up with it for the long run. I tend to do that. You can't expect, with 1 person moving on here and there, over time, to be sustainable with a hostile attitude toward matches like these. If that's the case, make them AOW again, or otherwise encourage a game to end under an hour. An hour on a single map, is asking kind of sort of a whole fucking lot from a videogame participant.

Honestly, at THAT point, the game could use higher escalation mechanics, or the map could use more openings since it was a particular map that was being tried out. Thought it was agreed long ago, that 39 hour marathon matches were not in the best interest of the game.

We have captains picking teams, so it's no longer based on chance to be on the "good" or "bad" team. As Snake had pointed out, I don't think anyone was really angry about the picks on Saturday, right? Rebalancing mid-match is something we are CONSTANTLY doing. Like switching one player for another. Or if players leave just let players from the other team fill up unbalanced slots. I dunno, we never really had a PUG where we just were like "Whoop, 16vs20, happens", least none of which I'm aware of. 

And no, you being hostile in a PUG is not because the PUG is hostile. I've written this once before, if you're having a bad mood before the PUG, and you still want to join, you should really try to contain yourself, have a walk, make some tea. Cause a bad mood is the best way how to spoil the PUG. I'm not a good example for "not raging during the PUG", but for me it's short bursts of "Why did this happen" and "Where did my head go", and not with some people's "Oh my god bad team" or "giving up after losing one building". ( Little comment on raging: If I ever yell at someone, that's because I expected you to use your brain and you didn't. ) 

In the end, it's just all a bunch of people who enjoy a little game of Renegade X after a week of work on the weekends. I don't really think anyone just walks in there with a hostile mood and just goes "I will ruin this PUG for everyone". And Yagi, the PUG is actually quite nice for new players. Learned a lot of strategies and tactics that are common in Renegade X that way, in a quite friendly environment.

Edited by KrypTheBear
Put quote into spoiler to reduce size
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KrypTheBear said:

Like everytime we fight against eachother on Walls I catch you repairing people.

On walls you're most likely the only one attacking me :D [unless bibi catches me..]

29 minutes ago, KrypTheBear said:

And Yagi, the PUG is actually quite nice for new players. Learned a lot of strategies and tactics that are common in Renegade X that way, in a quite friendly environment.

Think so too. You can literally watch new players like @Hohndo getting better and better each week ;)

Edited by DarkSn4ke

11 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

@Hohndo Very good job with field repairs on Sunday

13 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

On walls you're most likely the only one attacking me :D [unless bibi catches me..]

Think so too. You can literally watch new players like @Hohndo getting better and better each week ;)

It's what I did best on old Renegade. Thanks!

That and owned in my light tanks. The light tanks in Ren-X don't feel the same, though.

I did a terrible job on Complex repairing but the vehicles kept driving over tiberium, or just too spread out, or Ukill kept sniping me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hohndo said:

I did a terrible job on Complex repairing but the vehicles kept driving over tiberium, or just too spread out, or Ukill kept sniping me.

takes a while until repairers get used to the tankers and vice versa. Also use TS to call out incoming tanks from the side or tell your tanker & the dedicated sniper in your team where the sniper is, so the tanker can cover you and your sniper can go for a hunt.

And keep in mind to request repairs for yourself. Some tankers just try to rush into the enemies base while there is no chance of success and most of the tankers fall back into cover (e.g. on Islands). I'm usually not going to follow such a suicide tanker. Maybe I could keep him alive for ~10 seconds longer, but then the crossfire would kill me and the tanks left behind lost a healer -> enemy can push out more easily [ofc depends on the amount of healers :P and lately I think healer numbers have increased]

@TK0104 That damn headshot on me right after the 12 minute mark...

I don't know how people are dedicated defenders man, a lot of stress "Shit, team is counting on me to not suck at all." Every building that dies on your watch is a stain against you. And then the waiting, just sitting there, staring at the screen, waiting to see someone dart across, or repeatedily switching view angles like I was on Crash Site making sure GT wasn't getting hit and no one was going for ref. But you sit there, waiting for like 20 minutes on Walls, and you start spacing out. Then since you're spacing out, you don't notice the technician who is disarming the mines at the back of the ref for a solid 15 seconds and you think to yourself when you finally notice him there "Oh, there's a tech there. Wait, there's a tech there?!? When the hell did that Tech get there?! Fuck!" I honestly don't know how Boomer does it all the time.

Also, @YagiHige I actually would expect people playing in PUGs to be a little more dedicated and not mind games going into overtime. Yes, we're all here to have fun, but I also believe most are also here to have a "true" Renegade experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redarmy said:

I don't know how people are dedicated defenders man, a lot of stress "Shit, team is counting on me to not suck at all." Every building that dies on your watch is a stain against you. And then the waiting, just sitting there, staring at the screen, waiting to see someone dart across, or repeatedily switching view angles like I was on Crash Site making sure GT wasn't getting hit and no one was going for ref. But you sit there, waiting for like 20 minutes on Walls, and you start spacing out. Then since you're spacing out, you don't notice the technician who is disarming the mines at the back of the ref for a solid 15 seconds and you think to yourself when you finally notice him there "Oh, there's a tech there. Wait, there's a tech there?!? When the hell did that Tech get there?! Fuck!" I honestly don't know how Boomer does it all the time.

Maybe I'll give it a shot again. Prior to last week, and in the original renegade, I almost always did base defense. I've actually been enjoying being in the field recently. Got a bit better at sniping but I won't be doing that very often.

I like doing it, but I don't know all the little strategies on some maps so it doesn't make me the best person in some cases.

When you spend most of your time thinking creatively on infiltrating and avoid getting caught and how to get to certain spots you tend to know how to defend better.

Edited by Hohndo

13 hours ago, Hohndo said:

That and owned in my light tanks. The light tanks in Ren-X don't feel the same, though.

I've noticed that too. Light tanks in original ren were crucial to holding field control, while light tanks in Renx kinda just die without doing much damage. Likely because:

-Ramjets are spammed a lot less often

-Insignificant damage vs infantry, even kevlar

-Faster tank projectile speeds (harder to dodge)

-Medium tanks with sprinting are able to catch up

The only thing they're best at is countering GDI humvees and APCs, but that's about it. You're better off with stanks or flamers in most circumstances. 

54 minutes ago, CampinJeff said:

I've noticed that too. Light tanks in original ren were crucial to holding field control, while light tanks in Renx kinda just die without doing much damage. Likely because:

-Ramjets are spammed a lot less often

-Insignificant damage vs infantry, even kevlar

-Faster tank projectile speeds (harder to dodge)

-Medium tanks with sprinting are able to catch up

The only thing they're best at is countering GDI humvees and APCs, but that's about it. You're better off with stanks or flamers in most circumstances. 

I think they just need a speed boost and a better turn rate

I'm not saying they need to be on par with medium tanks, but they should be more effective against them. In original renegade the speed advantage allowed you to move almost unpredictably.

I say this because the Tick Tank feels closer to what we had for light tanks in the original game. Primarily, this is because of its awesome turn rate, since I'm told the Tick Tank is actually slower than a Light Tank.

#makelighttanksgreatagain

I'll post the topic later. Lol

Hm, I don't remember light tanks being more field-relevant in the old Renegade than it is now in Renegade X.

In my opinion light tanks are fine for 600 credits compared to med tanks for 800 credits, which are slower but do more damage. A slight damage boost would be ok maybe, like 5-10 % more damage per shot or something like that.

9 minutes ago, Hohndo said:

I think they just need a speed boost and a better turn rate

They already got a speed boost in one of the latest patches and while sprinting they are quite fast for a tank by now. So I don't see any need for them to be even faster.

12 minutes ago, Hohndo said:

I say this because the Tick Tank feels closer to what we had for light tanks in the original game. Primarily, this is because of its awesome turn rate, since I'm told the Tick Tank is actually slower than a Light Tank.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I think a tick tank as it is now is even superior to a med tank.

13 minutes ago, Denuvian said:

Hm, I don't remember light tanks being more field-relevant in the old Renegade than it is now in Renegade X.

In my opinion light tanks are fine for 600 credits compared to med tanks for 800 credits, which are slower but do more damage. A slight damage boost would be ok maybe, like 5-10 % more damage per shot or something like that.

They already got a speed boost in one of the latest patches and while sprinting they are quite fast for a tank by now. So I don't see any need for them to be even faster.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I think a tick tank as it is now is even superior to a med tank.

The light tank damage is the same as original afaik

People in original used light tanks when there were too many ramjets on GDI to use artys. Lights were also able to apply more pressure on field repairs.

Another issue is that the light tank turret tends to wobble around a lot when you're driving around uneven terrain or moving back and forth to dodge tank shells. I've suggested before that increasing the turret turn speed and X-Y speed would make them more relevant in the field. 

Tick tank is basically the medium tank with a lot more maneuverability. 100 less HP, but not significant. Their small turret elevation compared to their body also adds annoying feature where they can shoot at you but you can't shoot back depending on the terrain

27 minutes ago, CampinJeff said:

Tick tank is basically the medium tank with a lot more maneuverability. 100 less HP, but not significant. Their small turret elevation compared to their body also adds annoying feature where they can shoot at you but you can't shoot back depending on the terrain

It also has a minigun on it you can't use because reasons.

I'm still going to push for a better turn rate. I feel like it was better in old Renegade. Since one aspect of the game was changed to make them less effective, that means they should be changed to be better at what they do. If only slightly.

I don't think I've used a Light Tank since patch so I'll try that before I push any further.

59 minutes ago, CampinJeff said:

Another issue is that the light tank turret tends to wobble around a lot when you're driving around uneven terrain or moving back and forth to dodge tank shells.

If possible then I would also like to see the wobbling of the artillery reduced, it's extreme sometimes.

#makeartysgreatagain lol

Edited by Denuvian
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

People in original used light tanks when there were too many ramjets on GDI to use artys.

When was this? At least in my clan server there was basically no 1ks ever bought except for the occasional PIC/Rav. Mobius/Dozas were, or at least seemed bad. Havocs/Saks were always screwed over by the big blue trail they left behind and if you bought one, chances were before you'd really accomplish much, someone is going to buy a Deadeye/Sniper Black Hand and kill you. Only time I remember ever really using n00bjets was on City_Flying against Orcas and Apaches. On a map like Field though, there'd be 1-2 500 snipers and fielding ramjets wouldn't really be smart.

1 hour ago, Redarmy said:

When was this? At least in my clan server there was basically no 1ks ever bought except for the occasional PIC/Rav. 

Right now in the rencorner server. People would always shout out to transition to heavy armor from artys if there is a significant amount of ramjets in the field, which is a very common occurrence 

1 minute ago, Madkill40 said:

They're pretty effective to run circles around an MRLS + Dodging their missiles. 

They do a great job with them but they have to get past a wall of meds first if GDI is playing like GDI

Meaning stanks are better choice to kill MRLS in most situations

Hello guys,

I just came upon this thread. As I get the impression that the public games could benefit from some organisation, and that RenX would be much more fun when all the team mates are pulling in the same direction, I would really like to try out one of these PUGs.

The thing is, I don't think I'm good at this game. About the only things I can adequately do are repairing in base and in the field, defusing and checking for mines. Tank warfare also goes OK, I usually manage to destroy medium tanks with a light one, but that probably is because the drivers are worse than me and not because of my talent. Oh, I also like to harass vehicles with a rocket soldier or a gunner.

Should I give it a try next Saturday or do you think I should get my skills to an acceptable level first ?

I also read that you don't need a microphone for taking part (TS is already installed). Would it be an advantage if I hook one up ?

"3. Do not destroy buildings during the warm up phase"    What is the warm up phase ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Please come join.

The warm up phase is when we wait for everyone to hop onto the private server. During this phase, the team captains choose who they want on their teams. the team captains try to balance out the player skill to the best of their abilities.

We used to not allow people to blow up buildings during this phase as to prevent a map change. But the moderators now have a command to lock building heath.

A mic would be preferred, but we have players who don't use one. 

18 minutes ago, dilberteng said:

The thing is, I don't think I'm good at this game.

define who's good? :P everyone is good until he meets someone better :/ [´"good" players usually just have more hours on this game, that means more experience]

-> JOIN the PUG

Should I give it a try next Saturday or do you think I should get my skills to an acceptable level first ?

You could join the CT TS and take a look if you see some nicks currently playing on their server. So you could already meet some PUG players.

I also read that you don't need a microphone for taking part (TS is already installed). Would it be an advantage if I hook one up ?

It's better to have a mic so you can reply to teamplayers questions / requests / commanders orders faster. But it's not mandatory. A mic could save your characters life :P prevents getting a typedeath

"3. Do not destroy buildings during the warm up phase"    What is the warm up phase ?

During the warm up players who want to join the PUG have to be in the TS waiting room to get the server PW. you will only get it through TS. Once you have the current PW, join the PUG server and just do whatever you want. except for destroying the enemies base. But building health has been locked for the warm ups anyway...

Warum up ends, when the team captains picked their teammates and the teams have been split into separate TS channels. Once the commanders (& the team) decide to start, there's either a changemap poll or an admin just uses a gameover command

Edited by DarkSn4ke

26 minutes ago, dilberteng said:

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I am told recently that newbies have plenty of luck with saturday games. That should mean, as long as you respond to voice/text chat, when asking for vehicles, or a specific infantry type, or to quickly meet up at a structure to mass-rush a base, then you're golden. You don't need to be "skillful", just "cooperative with team". E.g.: You hear in voice chat "really guys? We're down to 4 vehicles, they're about to get the field. (You immediately grab a tank and healer). E.g.: You hear in voice chat "we're losing tanks too fast, we need more field repairs". (You do your part by grabbing a healer and jumping into the most recently built tank, or getting your own). E.g.: We need to put pressure on the infantry path so they ease up on the field. (you follow instructions to gunner-rush, knock a building to low health or get a kill, and they go on the defense). E.g.: Do not fire at Ref, I'm inside. (and/or) Vehicles move into their base and fire one salvo at AGT and then hit bar! (You drive into their base and sacrifice your vehicle, shooting AGT once and then firing hardcore onto the bar, you drive up to bar entrance and try to run in. While you do so, their Ref dies from infiltration, you having distracted). E.g.: We don't have field, so don't buy a mammy. (Don't buy a mammy, buy several meds, and have all meds drive out in conga and overpower the enemy's vehicles).

You do not need a mic afaik, just TS3. You can q-spot or text-chat, as long as you can respond to voice-chat. These rules may have changed though.

3: Prior to the game's start, everyone connects to TS3 for a server password, and then the password-locked game-server, usually on map "field", and the building-healths are locked via new game feature. You can't blow up buildings anyway, but prior to this, 1 person was perm-banned for doing it blatantly after being asked and warned not do.

3 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Right now in the rencorner server. People would always shout out to transition to heavy armor from artys if there is a significant amount of ramjets in the field, which is a very common occurrence 

Huh, I haven't played the game for almost a full decade now, guess that makes sense that the gameplay would still change and evolve over the years. Back then it was literally if you buy a ramjet, you're effectively wasting money unless you're doing it for like Orca hunting. I remember getting yelled at the first time I bought one.

Also, maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but another thing about Light Tanks is, it seems slightly less important to reverse them. Don't get me wrong, it still makes a difference, but it doesn't feel as big anymore. Maybe that's just me and the fact it's been forever since I've played the original game. Hell, if I remember correctly on Saturday, I don't think a lot of Nod was even reversing the L. Tanks.

6 minutes ago, Redarmy said:

Also, maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but another thing about Light Tanks is, it seems slightly less important to reverse them. Don't get me wrong, it still makes a difference, but it doesn't feel as big anymore. Maybe that's just me and the fact it's been forever since I've played the original game. Hell, if I remember correctly on Saturday, I don't think a lot of Nod was even reversing the L. Tanks.

It's still very important for peek shooting because the light tank turret is still on the back of the body. Medium tank however makes no difference unlike the original, because the med turret is now directly in the center. 

But yeah overall it's not as significant because the tank shells in renx travel much faster and are harder to dodge, but still it makes you a harder target to shoot at

i'm in.  What are the digits for TS.  I am an old Mod on Jelly Servers from back in the day. I just decided to download this game again.  I cam on this evening but not much activity on the server.  I hope there are more than a handful of active players.

Edited by s1N1STER

5 minutes ago, s1N1STER said:

i'm in.  What are the digits for TS.  I am an old Mod on Jelly Servers from back in the day. I just decided to download this game again.  I cam on this evening but not much activity on the server.  I hope there are more than a handful of active players.

tyrant.gg, welcome!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

@Hohndo just started playing the pugs quite recently and is doing pretty well, he may have some tips for you @dilberteng

Its more getting used to things again. I play Renegade at least every 18 months or so for a stint. This is my first time doing it in Renegade-X.

I did play briefly when we had the auto-rifles you could buy but only for like a day before I went back to good ol' Renegade.

There just seem to be a lot of little changes here and there that I haven't gotten used to yet.

7 hours ago, s1N1STER said:

Thanks CampinJeff.  I will plan on getting on TS tomorrow evening and seeing who is around.  I need a new hobby.  Tired of playing R6 siege.

I'll be on briefly but you'll have a better chance catching me o Thursday or Friday. I'm typically on at nights in the US but I don't always get on the CT TS server unless I see other people on it. A lot of times I'll be on UFP's TS server, which has no relation to Ren-X.

Pretty one-sided PUG.

Arctic Stronghold

GDI early gunner rush failed, but they still took control of the field with ease. 10 minutes in, Obelisk went offline and meds moved in Nod base, a hotwire used the chaos to sneak in and destroy PP. Another med rush followed and finished the Nod base off.

Field

Pretty much the same. Nod dominating for most of the game, both on field and in the tunnels. At one point Nod tanks moved in and a tech used the chaos and with the help of smoke grenade destroyed GDI ref. After that mendoza rush destroyed barracks and it was game over. 

Walls ground

A little closer one this time. Draw-ish for the first 15 minutes, then 3 SBHs took WF down to 9 health. But then the above scenario happened again. GDI took the intiative, with their snipers getting a lot of frags and crushed Nod.

Islands

GDI locked in base from the very first moment Nod could get arties. SBH planted nuke at front of WF and all the tanks moved in to cover it, boom. Then Nod went for 10 LCG rush that got destroyed by 10 mobiuses who in answer got destroyed by 10 mendozas. And that was the highlight of the PUG! GDI base finished off by flame tank rush soon after.

4-0, ~18v18.

• Like 1

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic