Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

I joined very late and my game wasnt reponding ,My tank was reponding like 2 sec after ,when I was going out of it I was in The ground :S (Below map)

I rejoined ,was much better got a tank but Didnt see our havester coming He pushed me ,,no suprise It get destroy fast :S

Wish I was there earlier

Edited by Xtractor

Sunday PUG

Under:

Gormmomma assigns Kryp to Infantry control and myself to Tank Commander and gives general orders to begin the game, when I wasn't vacant in a vehicle Yagi took over as tank commander and we pretty much shared the role and kept our team communicating to keep GDI locked in their base with 6 Light Tanks, 2 Arty's and 2 Flametanks until we got to Elite and all started to switch to Flame tanks. Meanwhile Kryp held the crown as Active Defender and by the seems of things was harassed by in-base snipers, but all-in-all Kryp kept our base on lock down and from GDI assault until he'd given up on himself at which point GDI then managed to destroy the Nod PP whilst Nod had simultaneously destroyed a majority of the GDI base. If GDI had spent less time sniping our base defender and more time Gunner'ing our vehicles this game may have played out very differently. 

1 G v 0 T

I think Tony is an omen for any team at this point now, that's a 6-game lose streak this weekend for the PUG. :P

Edited by Madkill40

23 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

I think Tony is an omen for any team at this point now, that's a 6-game lose streak this weekend for the PUG. :P

well, to be honest, I was surprised of the TS atmosphere with Tony as CiC. It was relaxed. Maybe too relaxed.

"The most important thing is: have fun! I won't scream. Nah, really. I don't care if we lose or win. Just have a good time! And do whatever you're good in." [semi-quote from Tony on TS]

I expected more panic screaming or whatever.. It was just a bad map choice and... bad communication / team not responding as mentioned before.

poi repeatedly sniped the Nod techies and told us via ingame chat... but noone really reacted fast enough, or there were just 3-4 meds rushing out cuz we NEVER had 9-10 meds at the same time.

I was repair bitch the whole match and got #1 on my team in the end..? no way!

Edited by DarkSn4ke

7 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

well, to be honest, I was surprised of the TS atmosphere with Tony as CiC. It was relaxed. Maybe too relaxed.

"The most important thing is: have fun! I won't scream. Nah, really. I don't care if we lose or win. Just have a good time! And do whatever you're good in." [semi-quote from Tony on TS]

I expected more panic screaming or whatever.. It was just a bad map choice and... bad communication / team not responding as mentioned before.

poi repeatedly sniped the Nod techies and told us via ingame chat... but noone really reacted fast enough, or there were just 3-4 meds rushing out cuz we NEVER had 9-10 meds at the same time.

I was repair bitch the whole match and got #1 on my team in the end..? no way!

I was expecting Gunners but I only ever saw one at a time and the occasional Sydney which once I realised she was there I just kept an eye on her. Could be a good idea for that to open out more to perhaps stop that from happening.

16 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

@Madkill40 I can't remember who, but someone suggested gunners indeed xD

I suggested Gunners to take out the arties and flamers because they wreck vehicles. Meds could then flow on the field, but we were in total lockdown the whole game. When we did get all the noddies at our entrance, only 2 meds could go onto the field. But then nod would come with flamers and its back to square one again. We didn't stand a chance due to us not doing anything to counter the multiple lockdowns. Must say I did have some fun defending the entrance. Hope next PUG is better, or at least more dynamic (Driving back and forth in a med for the whole game ain't that much fun after 30 minutes, still better the being a nod tech xD)

How do we make people play better as part of a

Spoiler

hivemind

?

I mean, I have absolutely no problem when commander doesn't call us by name when dedicating roles and tasks, when making groups but instead just says, for example "we need 2 people defending, 2 people sneaking, 5 people driving meds and one to pilot tranny".
I personally can extrapolate from team chat which roles still need to be filled and then I chose a role/task that I prefer most. (this is why I always express the wish for quality team communication)
But from my experience so far, people are not that good at this (let's call it "hiveminding").

Would it be possible to make people be better at self-organising?

Also, if we are up for it of course, could we try hierarchy with squads today?

First map, Mesa, 5 minutes in, aaannddd... arties wipe the base. Oh. It's going to be one of THOSE PUGs. ಠ_ಠ

Second map, Volcano. We get siege'd early. Terrific... ಠ╭╮ಠ

...but, we get infiltration and kill 2 structures with our base intact! So we just flame rush because they have afk-repairs, and... power goes out... ò_ó

...flip breaker, come back, aannnddd.... Nod lost everything but HoN, and then proceeds to lose that...  ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°

[YagiHige-Sama has left the game.]  ...maybe they'll reshuffle teams... nah, they'll keep it a massacre. Oh well, not my PUG, not my problem anymore.

I did state in pre-PUG that I am not a good commander.

My knowledge of map-related tactics is not good enough and therefore I am not confident that my tactics will be effective.

There is one thing that bothers me: do I have to explicitly specify that group of tanks needs heals?
That's an example of what I meant in my previous post.
Repairs on tanks should be something that does not have to be specifically ordered for.

Anyway, I would be glad to hear your feedback, what can I do better, how can I improve my commanding skills?

Edit: Well fuck me, just now after watching our side of Volkano, I saw that SRVD (dude with the nuke) actually said in team chat that he died, and that was few seconds after he confirmed that he is in position.

Edited by Testman
ded nukguy

It's all about experience like any other things .And Mistakes from Players/team/commander is normal and we have to not worries about it .

Some Games will better than other thats all.We will Win We will lose.

The Best Defense is the OFFENSE

But I Can suggest this :

Identify/define  2 Groups (Squads) in the team before its begin

-Squad Base/and tanking

Primary Task defend the base and go out of base as soon possible if Base ilook safe ,may be leave 1 guy in base to check and dispatch any supect movements

-Squad Seals/Special Ops

These guys will go on special ops ..intrusion ,Tanks support with  Advance infantry to kill an opposite vehicules swarm.

Special ops when the base is under siege and been defende by Squad Base .

Remark :

Special OPS should be enroute in 20 Second .So Guys Say the Mission and be enroute By this time (Act always fast)

If Base is sieged may be define priority Buildings to save ,Having the Squad Base not dispersed in all the Base and have the rest of the team go Counter attacking and with the support of Squad Seals .

Better Save few Buildings and let go some to win the game than trying to save then all .

Squad seals may go for intrusion attemps while the rest defend the base on siege

Good stuff!

Whiteout

GDI counters early arties with gunners and soon starts spamming meds. While hotwire sneaks in PP and drags the attention of half Nod, meds focus fire and destroy HoN - and PP is not saved. Meds then roll in and finish Nod off.

Walls

Hotwire and engi destroy HoN early. Nod keeps apache rushing for the next 10 minutes, damaging ref to 30 health. Then Nod loses refinery and the last technician to another sneaky hotwire. Airstrip and PP are finished off with orcas and ions.

Complex

10 grenadiers rush in airstrip at the start, quite a few make it in, but somehow no perma damage done. After that, med rushes vs. stank rushes. The game finished when ~8 meds rushed in Nod base and 3 stanks + 1 tech rushed in GDI base. GDI base got destroyed when Airstrip, last Nod's building was down to 30 health and surrounded with meds. Seconds decided.

Team Tony 2-1 Team Gormomma, ggs.

• Totem Arts Staff

As far as Saturday's goes: That was probably the most fun I've had playing Volcano in awhile. We need more 50cred starts. 

As far as being a good commander: if you listen to our side of it, all I do is occasionally tell people to split off, get meds, or really simple shit so we're not all a cluster. Other than that, just establish who's defending and that's about the end of it. 

Fun fact: I only organized two rushes the ENTIRE time. Why? 'Cuz rushes are typically how you LOSE, when you don't concentrate on map control instead. [Hotwire rush on strip, and Gunner rush on HON] 

• Like 1

Can we plz, plz, plz make sure in the 'pre-game phase' that people are able to react?

Norc / testman mentioned that one of our persons typed in game chat that he died, nevertheless we kept asking about his status for a while and there came no reply at all.... Even when we started the game 6(!) people did not respond to spoken chat, nor by answering back, nor by typing.

It's ok if you don't know English well enough, it's ok if you don't have a mic, but it's not ok if you are on a team for 3 rounds without EVER showing up or responding. No reply in postgame = kick. If you cant say 'Yes' to are you there 'insert playername' x20 times. Than how can you participate in a team?

About Norc: I think he did well. Second note: he cant help that, when he orders to move all the vehicles to the tiberium cave, they move the opposite way. We had, and I know I am repeating myself, to many f*ckups and people doing random stuff which decided the game. The fact we lost Volcano with a huge adventage and 10 people at the strip when it went down, proves this...

Edited by Ryz

I had fun on Whiteout and Complex, but Walls was not that enjoyable for me. However the part where we tried to kill Mammoth with 6 APCs was fun :cool:

3 hours ago, Quincy said:

GDI base got destroyed when Airstrip, last Nod's building was down to 30 health and surrounded with meds. Seconds decided

We med rushed at silo side, started hitting airstrip tower, but it got heals soon enough, so someone said "shoot the HoN" clearly and loudly.
It took about 5 seconds for everyone to switch target. I know that 5 seconds is relatively short time, but like Quincey said, seconds decided.
If we were more coordinated at focusing fire, we would probably have won Complex. Still, had fun.

that was a hell of a game for my first PUG, reminds me of when i got on jelly-server for the first time. I'll try to have my mic up and running for the next one. sorry about those disconnects though, i live in the country and don't have access to high speed internet, so i'm forced to play through a tethered cellphone :o

• Like 1

hmmm, pretty much the same as every Saturday PUG, imbalanced teams.

Kryp 3 : 1 Voltex

Xmountain & Volcano was... annihilation of Voltex's team. I think we lost Islands because the team didn't really care anymore and everyone just did their own thing.

And Whiteout... well. Black Power.

• Like 1

To summarize (Team1 point of view)

X-Mountain:

Lights and Arties, Lights and Arties. My two favorite snipers and field repairs. A stalemate ensued in front of GDIs base entrance, as GDI pushes with Mediums and Mammoths, whilst Nod keeps the GDI Harvester down. But the GDI harvester was the real MVP here, pushing out vehicles (TWICE). Death through swift destruction of the GDI Refinery which sealed GDIs fate.

Volcano:

A decent 70 credit start prevented the typical "Fartland vs Chems" confrontation and instead lead up to an interesting fight for the harvesters and close range building defense. An honorable, yet ineffective, attempt of Nod to strike the GDI base with arties was prevented by a fast reaction of GDI with rockets and guns. What ensued was primarily a fight for both sides with vehicles, as Nod started ultimately losing every Harvester and every strike with Flames and Arties was quickly taken out. What followed was the destruction of one building per minute in Nods base.

Islands:

The typical strats were in my opinion the best choice here as Nod, quickly pumping arties into the field and starting to wipe out vehicles and buildings. Oh how wrong I was! GDI made a good and fast interception of the Arties with gunners and began pumping meds into the field shortly. What ensued was a massive stalemate, until suddenly GDI gains the upper hand and pushes in with Meds and Mammoths and: "Uh guys, Ref-" *Boom* One leads to another, as we start losing vehicles and begin pumping less and less vehicles, GDI eventually takes the upper hand completely and wipes Nod off the face of earth.

Whiteout:

To quote: "Probably get the silo, probably get the comms, probably push meds into the field". What happened here was a constant back and forth, with us losing the Harvester and us gunning down the Nod Harvester with Machine guns and explosives. During the backs and forths of field control, GDI eventually took over the harvester control, while Arties shell our vehicles. Somehow during the process, the GDI weapons factory gets taken out, and as we start losing, GDI daringly tries attacking the HoN with a tranny filled with Sydneys, which ultimately failed. To quickly take out Nods buildings, we decide on Gunners and start shelling one building after another, whilst a stealh tank rush endangers the Barracks, luckily we happened to have our Gunners on the same side. After this, we finish our shelling and the PUG ends.

Overall, good games everyone! I really enjoyed commanding this team. I might start to show up frequently again.

My recs: The harvester, Ukill for switching teams, and team1 for a nice round. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KrypTheBear said:

X-Mountain:

Lights and Arties, Lights and Arties. My two favorite snipers and field repairs. A stalemate ensued in front of GDIs base entrance, as GDI pushes with Mediums and Mammoths, whilst Nod keeps the GDI Harvester down. But the GDI harvester was the real MVP here, pushing out vehicles (TWICE). Death through swift destruction of the GDI Refinery which sealed GDIs fate.

Real reason why GDI lost Mountain:

"Rushes make you lose more than you win" -Yosh

1 hour ago, Xtractor said:

Real Fun Game with Yosh :D

( the video start( @15 sec )

4:15
What the fuck, why was there an engie rush? There might have been some chaos on our team, but I do not remember us making any engie rushes at that time.
I don't have a problem with the concept of engie rush, but I do have a problem with engie rush PULLING THE WHOLE GDI TEAM TO WF 10 SECONDS BEFORE ARTYS STARTED SHOOTING

10 SECONDS

Was there actually planned engie rush and I did not pay enough attention to know about it?
Or did someone on our team forgot to mention that GDI is basically fully prepared to outheal everything we throw at WF?

27 minutes ago, Testman said:

Was there actually planned engie rush and I did not pay enough attention to know about it?
Or did someone on our team forgot to mention that GDI is basically fully prepared to outheal everything we throw at WF?

we saw your arty rush coming, so our gunners shot at you a.s.a.p. and I jump down to remote c4 one of the arties.

with gunners on top (same side as the arty rush) and no LCG / Sniper cover thi rush was bound to fail :o

This Sunday PUG ended with @Quincy ragequitting, the reason is that teams are 100% unbalanced. Team 1 is better at each and every aspect than Team 2. I don't know how teams are picked but you can compare with last Sunday PUG, which had balanced teams, resulting very high quality matches and everyone was satisfied no matter win or lose.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, yosh56 said:

I don't think it was really that imbalanced. We just had all the [...] people. 

This sounded suspect to me. Also, midgame, we lost Ks.ol, so we asked to trade Poi for Troupe, both snipers. He said we have enough snipers, and listed me. For reasons that should be obvious, I am not balanced between teams as a "sniper". If I HAVE to snipe on a map because we have too few infantry counters, then you have an UNBALANCED TEAM DIVISION, and possibly still unbalanced sniper classes to boot.

Wasn't even that mad. Our team wasn't "bad". We were oppressed by snipers constantly. We still made critical strikes and killed buildings. We would have run Volcano if GDI didn't react fast with roc-oh who am I kidding, a rush met a rush, there was no reaction, their rush just happened to been the textbook counter to ours. If it had been APCs, we'd have drove by them, they'd all suicide frantically to save buildings, and we'd still likely have gotten one, but no, we got unlucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

I don't know how teams are picked

I chose you guys to be on my team. However, as you might have noticed, I underestimated the skill of some people on the other team, which resulted in in-optimal team composition and therefore somewhat lack of balance.
It's not like we got instantly overrun, outgunned, destroyed and humiliated every match.
We did stand our ground for quite some time, but things slowly snowballed into our disadvantage.

I think that most of the time we had an excellent communication and map awareness going on, and I thank everyone who provided suggestions and feedback.

Again, I apologise to everyone who did not have fun today because of my decisions.

Edited by Testman

• Totem Arts Staff
16 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Next time the players will be chosen by people who know everybody's skill level, and not the volunteered commanders

I was waiting very long for these words.

@YagiHige I saw you sniping even though you still had trouper and ks.ol on your team. After watching from Thommy's point of view, calling out an officer rush on X-mountain to kill two snipers even though ks.ol and trouper were still the assigned snipers on your team was not the wisest choice. They were well aware of our positions and all you need to do is continue to call out our positions to them as you focus on controlling the field. Trading me for trouper wouldn't change the result on any of the maps. Our team overall had better tankers and repairs for the most part, and that was the deciding factor for the Saturday pug.

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic