Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

That was a GG :) Hard one with all these sydneys ,couldnt do much with my apaches ,was always been neutralize by orcas,snipers,sydneys :(

And sorry Ryz and Yosh my communication skill is Zero for many reasons..Love to play with you guys but my communication handicap is bad :( sorry ,I tend to compensate with what I see on the battlefield.

Dont give up on me ,I try to understand you the best i can :)

Hey there, is there a reason PUGs are only played on US servers? I really like playing PUGs but playing on US servers is no fun for me at all. Is it possible to maybe change the server from US/EU every week or if there are 4 maps played in a PUG to play 2 on each server so everyone can atleast enjoy some lag free rounds?

First of all: thanks we have a server stable now, great job!

About this weeks PUG: I think it was fun, but not as good as the last two weeks, still I am not having bad feelings about this one. Sidenote: people shouldn't blame others / specific players personally for trying non standard attacks. Blaming people doesn't make the PUG more fun and it's kinda ridiculous to pretend those persons ruin the game. After all the 'odd' attacks we did worked above tanks...

So the game: Volcano was good and showed what teamwork could do. After camping the cave (and failing on saving the harvester) we managed to C4 the ref from the outside and hit the WF with remotes from inside. Than, after half our base got slaughtered, we did a rocketrush with 10 ~ 15 people. It really, really showed the strenght off good teamwork.

Xmountain also had great teamwork at the start, but was too much camped by NOD if you ask me. We never got enough vehicles and if we had them we had no repairs. We even, for some reason, launched a mammy rush but than every vehicle drove in seperate and died without doing damage.

Trainingyard was quitly differend and intense, but this is where stuff went down the drain. After some casual attacks we killed the WF. First we C4ed it from the outside, but later we managed to get in and kill it. After this we launched an SBH rush for the barracks, but someone decided to jump from a hill instead of taking the normal road and 10 ppl followed from which a few ones used a parachute (!): stealth gone. Than we went through their base and got slaughtered. We should have hit the bar at once instead of sidetours.

The other attacks all failed. While sneaking in with rocketsoldiers someone failed to stick to the plan and started shooting an engineer or something at the silo, surprise gone. An SBH rush got killed the same way and vehicles did get no support and top it we kept handing them over our tanks. Finally we did a stankrush which also failed cause half the group decided to wait and enjoy the beach. This is where people got frustrated (including me).

Whiteout: not sure, someone decided for a rocketrush and tried but half the team didn't pay attention to teamchat and it was kinda chaotic. Really, really not sure what happened but we surrendered.

I can't pick what the reason was the team didn't work, but I think one part was that there was no clear plan. Ok we did a flamerrush for example, but we never got engies and more of these plans failed cause we forgot some details. When it comes down to defense we were pretty good with repairs and stuff, but as soon as we attacked we lost the consistency.

Just to add my 2 pence worth here, I think the main and only real issue with the PUG teams being fair is having a single leader, I mean surely that's why we assign a leader at the start of the PUG so they can take charge and give orders, and our main problem wasn't our leader but fact we have multiple people giving out tactics and orders and just shouting over each other and there for we had few people doing this few people doing that either everyone just listens to the leader that is assigned at start when it comes to what we plan to do or we at least all decide on the same plan and not change it last min.

The PUG isn't really reliant on aiming/skills its all about communication and soon as you have one team with it and one without that's the difference.

Not saying people can't speak, have a laugh, or voice there ideas on Teamspeak but end of day surely the leader makes final call and everyone can then focus on that idea.

Well that's my view anyhow :P

Completly agree Glacious. I am one of the persons who suggests certain attack types when nothing is happening, but we had PUGs with teams where the captain listened to the input, decided an action and we went for it. Even spent one PUG doing nothing but mining but I am fine with it if it helps the team...

I think team Yosh/Ryz failed because of bad timing with rushes/not leaving enough people to defend. At least that was the case on 4 out of 5 maps.

On Volcano, while you were killing our WF and Ref, we rolled in your base with tanks and destroyed HoN and Airstrip. Considering you already had no PP, it was an exchange in our favour.

Training Yard was pretty draw-ish until you decided to stank rush and leave no people defending your base. Your rush was stopped and we nuked your Airstrip meanwhile (not even one engi came close to the beacon).

Whiteout, your rocket rush was easily stopped and in the meantime engis sneaked in WF and killed it... gameover. How can you not leave someone watching the side path is one thing, but also early rocket rush on Whiteout is a big gamble. It's enough for 1 person to spot it early and it can be defended. Also you put all your early credits into this, so probably even if you killed HoN, you would have been raped with arties spam.

Islands, I don't remember this game that much, but I think you SBH rushed our bar (and killed it) while we just rolled in your base with tanks again...

Oh well, good PUG if you ask me. Again a lot of people, that's what counts!

Long as Ryz your there after the match to to umm Complai... I mean umm analyze the match then its all groovy :)

Wow, wow. I think I didn't complain that much after a match, I am usually to busy preparing for a party, drinking beer and preventing Machette from *ahum* attacking my cats (which I don't have...) Complains are usually next morning when I sober up :)

Completely one sided again. Maybe we should try randomized teams with a f1/f2 survey asking whether everybody is fine with the teams or not. And also teams are free to elect a leader if they want. This makes it different from what a pug game is supposed to be, but it's just impossible to know everybody's skill level.

I always suggested after 1-2 games if it is too one-sided, to take the highest scoring non-sniper non-team-leader on one team, and trade them to other team for their lowest scoring person.

That way, at least basic strengths are improved for the disadvantaged team.

But I wasn't on today because roommates computer died. On a related note, if anyone knows a cheap way to replace a copper-coiled capacitor component on the face of a motherboard, let me know, because his motherboard has ye olde leaking tipped capacitor...

Yeah it was onesided (and yeah I fired a SBH gun instead of a carabine when attacking hotties in the back so I blew the suprise).

This PUG was the worst, it was like the enemy team was throwing out a wood stick and 'our' team was a dog and just went for it over and over again... We were totally dictated what to do by the enemy and did not launch any clear attack.

Most of this has been spoken out after the game on TS, but short thing below here to summarize these suggestions to change this:

- B0NG / Yosh / Agent (and some others) will look for a way to delay the time between rounds to so people can be instructed.

- Preserve teamchat for commands and gameplay related stuff, not for chitchat-

- People need to attend on time, if they are late they can join the next round

- People may get kicked / banned if they ignore teamchat all the game (like a few people on our team...)

- There might be a 'start' point where people have to assemble and if they don't come there they will be removed from the game

- Make teamleader a priority speaker

- Acknowledge commands so commander knows you received them (affirmitive / negative if you can't)

- The PUG will have a (more) clear leader and people follow that. Now more complaining about 'I don't want to be in this team' etc.

I mean this could have been cool even if we lost, but not if it takes 5 ~ 15 minutes to organize ANYTHING we did. We had vehicles coming in with airdrops being destroyed before people could get in (and loads of engies ignoring it), rounds where the order was 'max out tanks' and where we never had more than 5, beacon attacks where ppl forgot the beacon, snipers driving around in vehicles without a plan, rushes where half the team did something else, enemy attacks where nobody cared to respond and so on...

Last night I had a talk about this with Machette and I think he said something like if felt a lot of people where playing for their own ego.. It could have been different if people sacrificed their vehicles to make that extra push or get engies for the team instead of playing selfish (or not playing in the team you are in at all),

Edited by Guest

Well yeah, it was one-sided even after remake of teams, few Pugs ago I stopped sniping cause of it mostly doesn't help my team, I was listening to B0ng all time, we had 10 vehicles few times and we could win, we organized few sbh rushes etc but enemy team had more team-work players and was better organized, that's why theirs rushes where stronger and kicked our asses.. And if PUG starting at 20:00 IT SHOULD START AT 20:00 NOT AT 21:00 and I have to go after one match...

So I will write something about the games:

Walls

Early simultaneous SBH C4 + big arty rush (that wasn't spotted early enough) led to destruction of GDI's PP & ref and their surrender. Very good commanding from Gormomma and teamwork on Nod, everyone knew what to do!

Complex

GDI map won by GDI in a GDI manner, not much to see here. I really don't know how Nod can counter an organised vehicle mass on Complex... any rushes that Nod tries are risky since GDI can take control of the field and it's so hard to break through the siege of base when meds can kill Nod's vehicles before they get off the strip...

Volcano

Lack of defence by GDI led to the destruction of WF & Ref in the first 2 minutes of the game... too easy for Nod.

Under

Just like on Complex, a GDI map (on AOW it becomes even more GDI) won by GDI easily. Once again I didn't see any way for Nod to break the siege and actually do something. When they tried rushing PP in the late game, they had to give up on defence and lost the Ob to a med rush... which didn't matter really since it was clear GDI will win when we gained the point lead and locked Nod in their base.

• Totem Arts Staff
So I will write something about the games:

Walls

Early simultaneous SBH C4 + big arty rush (that wasn't spotted early enough) led to destruction of GDI's PP & ref and their surrender. Very good commanding from Gormomma and teamwork on Nod, everyone knew what to do!

Funny story on that sbh rush. In the beginning we planned to create a 3 man sbh rush. I volunteered, and Legolas joined and told xNaquada to do it too. When we went to pp we waited for xNaquada so our team told us that he wasn't even on our team :o .

Walls is a reason why I really want a stank buff. If they had the ability to more effectively deny orcas in a larger area and had better anti-tank capabilities, Nod can get a better hold in the field. I feel that the best strat for Nod is a combined SBH C4 and Arty rush in the early game. If that fails, Nod should do a mass tech+buggy rush, or whatever that is possible to at least destroy any one of GDI's buildings. Late in the game (assuming GDI has a full base) when GDI starts rolling out heavy armor and air, it'll be too difficult for Nod to anything in the field.

;)

• Totem Arts Staff

So, have we decided on what this week's settings are going to be? B_Armour and try it with no limit. Building armour and jut extend to 1hr time limit incase it still stalemates out like hell... or BA and keep the time limit because we're all big boys and know how to manage points and accept consequences for repairing really really late?

I'm going with the last one.

Also, for the PUG we need to remember to add Eyes back into the rotation at least. Eyes and TrainingYard aren't naturally in the rotation anymore. I'm going to pretend I did it on purpose too.

Maybe you should shoot yourself in the foot Ryz, then join the PUG lol :)

In the head would be better...

But serious, teamleaders are fine by me as long as they have priority speach and people are willing to listen!

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic