Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

It would be nice for some infantry to tango against tanks. The damage that tanks did to infantry in old ren, was pathetic compared to now, while infantry-to-vehicle time-to-kill remained the same. You know? 1.5 clips of laser chaingun against a med. Med used to take 8-14 shots to kill infantry, now takes 3-6...

Mutators can be glitchy, and may make balance worse as a test-basis. Might make pugs ruined.

Also, mutators take time, while modifying code directly under the goal of "making actual game code" is faster. Would slow down development.

However, it would be fun. It would just be "more fun" to just be an update itself. Which is probably what it will be, in soon enough time.

I like your idea to go even deeper with the idea of Nod being elite infantry and GDI being elite tanks .Buff up the LCG / Raveshaws / rocketmen? to be more resilient against tanks . I think the LCG is doing ok dmg against the tanks at this point but the downside is , as BroTranquilty said the low surviability of them against tanks. LCG could make the perfect defender/answer to meds rush to be honest. They wont be able to go too much on assault due to limited ammo (unlike tanks) but defending they would be able to stand against tanks. Of course , they will still be open to sniper fire...but that should be dealt normally with Nod having their own sniper to snipe the sniper so the sniper doesn't snipe the Nod LCG.

inf can use certain areas to hide from tank shots mrls,meds,mammoths are not that good at getting them if they are in spots where the shot can't go directly at them but people don't use that kind of advantage and just "YOLO" hoping to get something without a plan, also inf are not suppose to be resilient against tanks anyway it's a shell/rocket that is bigger than their size hitting them on their bodies and does 50% damage (WTF)

also another note : stanks are becoming more harder to control when steering (or should I say sliding ? ) because it doesn't feel like it has treads instead it feels more like skating on ice and it's hard to avoid inf or even run over them

What would be cool is that Nod has an alternative road on some maps to exit the base (drive from a hill example). This would make stankrushes possible, now if GDI camps the front with meds it's GG. On Walls this is possible, but on this map the front of the base is almost never camped...

Correct me if I am wrong, but light armor was never nerfed, and was semi-buffed at times against sniper fire and small arms fire.

I should have said PIC/Railgun buff against light armor. Dealing 100 damage per shot is huge (85 before), but that's not really a serious problem, if at all.

However, artillery is very effectively a game-winner on whiteout and Complex when a team uses them right, especially if a team masses them and holds off an equal enemy force, and then proceeds to do what GDI med tanks do while planting beacons that can be defended with the arties.
Yeah I don't agree about artillery. We moved to the right flank early game to damage PP but didn't kill it. Than we targeted a building for a while till everybody came to repair to it and after it we killed the PP. Worked great with 4 arties...

My main problem is how the arty projectile behaves when shooting at higher elevations. Lets say, on whiteout, a med is on top of the hill peek-shooting you as an arty. When you fight back, almost 9/10 times your shot is going to miss. It'll either fly over the med because of its low profile when you try to compensate for the arcing behavior or it'll land too short and hit the hill when you're aiming directly at it, because the projectile initially goes straight at the med, and slowly dips down.

Or when you're fighting a med in an mid-long alley, the arty is going to have a far tougher time actually landing shots if the med is constantly moving around or hiding behind cover because of how slow the projectile moves.

Pounding buildings is and has always been the one thing Artys do best. When it comes to providing firepower in the field, it does its job in certain occasions, like countering a mammy train or fighting tanks in close quarters with techs, but the farther away the arty gets, the more difficult it becomes for them to do their job (against tanks) especially now with their slow shots and the longer range meds+mammys. Meds can take them on quite well mid range especially if they take advantage of the terrain elevations, and in long range, MRLS does the "artillery" job far better in the field. This is basically why it's so much harder for Nod to take and hold the field in Field for example.

I think Artys need either a straight line shot or faster projectiles. Having a straight shot will not allow them to pound buildings in "dumb" spots anymore, like hitting WF from the silo in Xmountain or hitting the Ref from the middle hill on Lakeside. In return, artys in the field can now provide more consistent damage and no longer have to work 10x as hard as a med to land their shots.

Are mutators able to tweak damage/armor/hp/bullet speed/etc?Perhaps you could make a mutator designated for pugs and make the future tweaks for the pub ( since that is the main playtime of Renegadex) and just add the mutator each time we pug with its own tweaks that are better for the pug.

If the mutator is impossible maybe just add more customization to the game - server side (that would do same thing that is mentioned on the mutator above)

Short of the idea: make the changes based on the pub games and just add a mutator /settings that has(have) its(their) own tweaks based on pug games.

Not really necessary. When I'm playing Ren, I want to play Ren, not "pub Ren" or "pug Ren".

My main problem is how the arty projectile behaves when shooting and higher elevations. Lets say, on whiteout, a med is on top of the hill peek-shooting you as an arty. When you fight back, almost 9/10 times your shot is going to miss. It'll either fly over the med because of its low profile when you try to compensate for the arcing behavior or it'll land too short and hit the hill when you're aiming directly at it, because the projectile initially goes straight at the med, and slowly dips down.

I just had a decent idea. Make arties able to straight-shot, since they ARE important to Nod bread-and-butter much like Meds are to GDI (i'd rather not have to nerf one when we can make the other work better). What you do is, make the Alt-Fire of the arty the arc-shot. You can even possibly make it even SLOWER so it arcs BETTER, as long as the curve isn't sufficient to base-to-base (in that regard, one straight-shot and one current-arc would be night).

I like your idea to go even deeper with the idea of Nod being elite infantry and GDI being elite tanks .Buff up the LCG / Raveshaws / rocketmen? to be more resilient against tanks . I think the LCG is doing ok dmg against the tanks at this point but the downside is , as BroTranquilty said the low surviability of them against tanks. LCG could make the perfect defender/answer to meds rush to be honest.

It would be nice if anti-tank infantry were tougher against explosions, even if they were slower to compensate. This isn't even my idea to claim credit for, but it is a good idea that I support.

Super-Kh":fzs9iet7]also another note : stanks are becoming more harder to control when steering (or should I say sliding ? ) because it doesn't feel like it has treads instead it feels more like skating on ice and it's hard to avoid inf or even run over them

Solution: Release the Shift Key...

What would be cool is that Nod has an alternative road on some maps to exit the base (drive from a hill example). This would make stankrushes possible, now if GDI camps the front with meds it's GG. On Walls this is possible, but on this map the front of the base is almost never camped...

Complex is a map that stanks shine on. Rarely does GDI own literally every square inch of the center to not allow stanks by, given the 4 paths stanks can get by. If maps like Field had this, it would be nice, but it might not ever happen with EVERY map.

Solution: Release the Shift Key...

Speaking of the „Shift” feature, what is the reason this exist for vehicles? To this day I can’t decide whether this got applied to vehicles by accident or this was planned at the the first place.

There’s no documentation (keybinds, loading screen, pop up message) about this and only a few of the new players discover this by accident.

Speaking of the „Shift” feature, what is the reason this exist for vehicles? To this day I can’t decide whether this got applied to vehicles by accident or this was planned at the the first place.

There’s no documentation (keybinds, loading screen, pop up message) about this and only a few of the new players discover this by accident.

This was intentionally added back in Phase 2 beta testing (closed beta 9, for those curious).

Why was it added ? From my understanding the idea came from Battlefield. There you also have a vehicle boost, though a limited one i think. BF was used as a source of inspiration and this feature was one of the things that Havoc89 really wanted from BF. I never was a fan of it but generally players seemed to have adopted it quite well as i rarely saw someone complaining about it. So it must have some value and i can see how different speed options (basically different gears) for a vehicle can be nice. Just wish there would be a way to do that without having to hold down shift.

Why was it added ? From my understanding the idea came from Battlefield. There you also have a vehicle boost, though a limited one i think.

To be fair, Planetside 2 also has this, and is also unlimited. I believe it is "easier to stumble upon and see the effects" in PS2 than RenX, but idk why that matters.

What would make it more apparent, is to have the "sprint/stamina-bar" pop up when you press shift in a vehicle, so you know it's doing "something". I would imagine the instant solution to this code-wise would be to make a tank use stamina but it either be 0 or a 0.1 amount of it, whatever makes the icon pop up.

What might make it more useful, on top of what it already does, is if it made vehicle acceleration/deceleration quicker so you could use it to dodge shells when driving forward-back. Maybe if you add this, make it actually cost stamina (but again, even if it doesn't use stamina, that little icon popping up if you press shift while in-vehicle would at least tell the player that it is "doing something")

Islands: GDI down 5k points, 2 minutes left, full bases. GDI wins by building destruction from clutch Ion and mobius swarm

Mountain: Yosh switched the teams mid game and we got 7 free med tanks, restarted.

SBH rush destroys GDI ref early game, GDI crumbled and died.

Complex: Nod inf rush through tunns, GDI inf rush through sides. Bar vs Strip, strip wins

Volcano: Nod pounded early game, but holds onto all buildings. SBH rush on bar mid game saves the day and GDI gets overwhelmed and died

Walls: Hummer rush takes down ref, Nod crumbled and died, but in a more exciting fashion (raining gunners).

Loved this pug, first one where Nod finally won more than GDI.

Yeah it was amazing :D

Islands

The starting rocket rush by Nod was one of the biggest fails I saw in PUGs (no offence :P). After that it was standard Islands, meds & mrls vs. arties & flamers, the score was even. But with 15 minutes until the end Nod took initiative and accumulated a 5k point lead. GDI couldn't push the Nod army back. And with 2 minutes till the end of game, when it looked like nothing can happen anymore, GDI decided for a Mobius rush. I think 15 mobiuses with 2 Ions destroyed the whole Nod base in the last seconds of the game, meanwhile Nod killed our Ref and Bar. Respect to those 5 GDI players that actually defended the base alone. What a finish and what a turnaround!!! Before we rushed with the mobiuses we knew that we will have to destroy whole Nod's base to win and we actually managed to do it.

XMountain

Not as intensive or interesting. The beginning was the key, GDI massed tanks while Nod went SBH C4. GDI was stopped and the SBHs managed to kill Ref. Nod's tanks finished the job, GDI was struggling to defend without credits.

Complex

Once again the beginning was the key. Great rush by Nod leading to exchanging WF for HoN won the game for them. GDI without meds doesn't exist on this map.

Volcano

A lot of action! GDI was dominating for the bigger part of the game. After 20 minutes GDI had a big point lead and Nod was lucky not to lose any buildings - it looked bad for us. So we decided to give a squad of SBHs a chance and they took the barracks down. With no hotty repairs it was much easier to gain control of the field and GDI was slowly crushed by vehicles.

Walls

Easy win for GDI. 3 humvees packed with engineers destroyed Nod refinery in the early game, which actually meant game over for Nod, that was pushed to defense for the rest of the game. Soon after Nod base was overrun with GDI meds, orcas and gunners jumping from chinooks xD Good fun.

Team Bong won 4-1 and we saw Nod win 3 games, so that's a positive. Overall great PUG.

Walls

Bad game, Nod pushed to defense from the very first second and crushed by GDI.

Islands

Pretty much the same as Walls, just replace GDI with Nod. Unlike last week GDI couldn't Mobius rush in the last seconds, because we lost barracks before. Time victory for Nod.

Whiteout

Standard arty party leading to slow destruction of GDI base. Barracks go down first, after that GDI tries to APC rush, but doesn't leave enough people defending and loses all the other buildings. Also should have probably gone orcas instead of APCs.

Volcano

The beginning looked similar to Walls and Islands, team Bong playing Nod and dominating the game with vehicles. WF goes down early, but GDI still manages to defend itself after the loss of the key building. Then at the same time Nod flame rushed and GDI infantry rushed. Airstrip and Nod ref go down in exchange for barracks and GDI PP. Nod defended for the rest of the game, keeping a comfortable point lead and winning on time.

Mesa

My first PUG game on this map and the best game of this evening. Beginning looked promising for Nod, who spammed arties at silo side and gained a decent point lead, but then Vertiso sneaked in and killed HoN. Shortly after, Nod stank rushed and destroyed GDI ref, which was followed by a counter attack from team Bong that killed the Nod ref. Since then both teams had problems with credits, but GDI was controlling the game and had a 4k point lead. With 5 minutes till the end of map, when it seemed like nothing can be done anymore, Nod amassed arties and killed AGT, barracks and PP in like 2 minutes and won on points.

Really a lot of action for a game where both teams had limited credits. I was the only tech in my team for almost the whole game and was all the time busy repairing / remining after all those sneaking hotties.

Overall decent games (at least the last 2), team Bong won 3-2 and Nod won 4 out of 5 games (wow). Also a lot of people, 40/40 most of the time.

Wait? Really? GDI DID LOSE MESA! Haha, I was just bantering to Bananas when B0ng bitched me out about "gloating" when I wasn't, so I left and the teams were a little uneven. That was when GDI lost Ref. So since me opting out left the player gap, I feel that the real winner of Mesa wasn't Nod, it was Me :D

But enough busting chops, because practically the same and opposite thing happened to me in the CT AOW while I was waiting to first get in, since I got in on Islands End. I was in CT AOW, on Canyon, and there was a player gap, so I switched to fill it, just for everyone else to switch suddenly to Nod and slam us despite a dead Airstrip.

Anyway, the REAL winner, was all of us, because we got to play MesaII and it turned out to be the most fun match of the week's PUG all despite Yosh's usual hesitation to give the map a try. What did everyone else think of playing Mesa for a change? It was my favorite of the first open beta TBH, watching TheGunRunn play it on stream with the Devs.

Eh Mesa was actually a pretty good match though. A lot of fear came from that Rocket rush in the beginning, and it's sad how much damage it did considering it got called out before it left your base.

It was the short path, and only 3 of us actually were on the short path to intercept. I headshot-spammed but dropped 4 of them to low health without killing any 1 in the first clip.

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic