TankClash

• Totem Arts Staff

Latest version date - 7/10/2021

Let me know what needs fixing/added.

1 Tech building located near the centre of the map which is infantry only area 

Base defenses

Crates

Aircraft disabled

image.png.6ad852fb92bf658f28f4f2fcfb564832.pngimage.png.dce88cbe1dfdcaff930930fb33a8ac9a.pngimage.png.f0e2c33ef9321bc780561f5bb1e50131.pngimage.png.029a30b8f071ab9c925281e46e31d132.pngimage.png.64da6a405f367023f11f822d600bb5b5.png image.png.42acd560c4283f9103f0b30f04039582.pngimage.png.47a69e541d68740177075de45bf18195.pngimage.png.444e30f76c836891c2b81b7c31d0ebcc.pngimage.png.f39f3538049a04647adbf10a56126e71.png

Changes 07/10/2021

closed up a large path near GDI Tib field which gave Nod too much juking advantages is now infantry only 

image.png.208843b6bda501200a4f9238e8a346c4.png

removed the track decals, may add them again... when I can do art bettererer.

Rollout nodes for GDI and Nod fixed

image.png.5fbd7eff0b0fcc61370e9e816a58bf9e.pngimage.png.9949bad517e51967ea4e7e75589d5456.png

Swapped around Weapons Factory and Barracks and lowered GDI Power Plant, added GDI turrets and Nod Guard towers

Lava should almost insta-kill now 

Map preview image should work now

Any bugs or issues please contact me directly VIA discord or IM @TankClash with a screenshot or video and description

MINI MAP IS NOT UP TO DATE, yet.

Kilauea.7z

Edited by TankClash
updated version
  • Like 3

Can you take and post some larger and more hi-res screenshots of it please? It's been quite a long time since we've seen a new in-development map, so I'm quite excited to see more of it. I'll probably try it out closer to the weekend. Also please provide more of a description of the map, how many tank and infantry routes does it have, tech buildings, is it built to accommodate air units, how many players, any special features or story behind it and is it close to what you envisioned at all?

• Totem Arts Staff

I edited the original post to included some large images, there are 3 approaches to the bases offering a lot of different routes to flank incoming attacks from team co-ordination is key.

There's an infantry only area near the middle that has a Silo that can be captured, air units are disabled though I could probably enable them seeing how there is quite a lot of cover for vehicles on this map. 

Map isn't quite what I had in mind I was just kind of changing it as I went, somethings I wanted to add I couldn't include due to my lack of experience but I did learn a lot from this so I'm sure any future ones I make'll be an improvement. 

Edited by TankClash
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Yeah very cool ideas here! I think it has alot of potential

However I feel it may need some work overall. The map needs alot of optimization. That or may simply be too big. I was frequently getting frame drops of 10 - 20 fps while in the field.

One thing you may notice with many Renegade maps is that no area in a good map is without purpose. The map reminds me very much of a C&C RTS map, unfortunately those don't always translate well to Renegade. 

I did a quick edit on one of your screenshots (in paint lol) to give my take on some suggestions (I'm no expert so take it with a grain of salt lol)

Gray: Rocks; Red: Lava; Orange: remove; white: Bridge

Basically my ideas. On GDI side, move ref & Barracks closer to the rest of the base. move up the coast line to near behind Barracks. Remove path on Harvester route.

on Nod side, swap air field & tower with power plant. bring lava inward, have bridge closer to Nod base (to be similar in proximity as is GDIs side) and bring rocks/ edge of the map in closer.

Also to help with optimization, you can remove stuff that can't be seen from ground level, yes it looks very good! but hurts performance =( 

CNCK3.png.125713ef54009eb259b4d9448ce97ba3.thumb.png.def80c881553df4ac275b8a0671e218e.png

• Totem Arts Staff

I did go around and removed hidden terrain bushes and grass that were trapped under the meshes 

I have moved the GDI refinery and shortened the beach a bit removed side walls 

The Nod Base has been changed

I've also culled out a lot of  landscape and grass that were hidden by meshes.

New version will be done soon.

Edited by TankClash
  • Like 1

So I've just been messing about on the original version you posted and these are my early thoughts. (updated - based on your latest screen shots)

One of the main things to work on I think is the placement of buildings and the amount of sheer empty space in both of the bases, I think it's to much presently, but I acknowledge its good to have some space and objects to use for sneaking or hiding.

Having the repair pads in place would be nice as its a big map rather like Eyes and Outposts.

Also having air vehicles would be a bonus as low level combat becomes tedious, but you would need to find places to place Sam sites for both sides.

Likes/Observations:

I like the fluidity of the tank paths, the winding roads, the different elevations and I really feel that something like an APC rush on this map could be a legitimate strategy and even tank combat means you won't necessarily get bogged down at a main choke point.

You've created a unique feeling on your map that I've not felt on any other map before.

Dislikes/Observations:

The GDI side walls were good to keep imo, they make it look and feel like a proper base, it makes me think of Hammerfest from Tiberian Sun for some reason.

The buildings in GDI base are positioned very awkwardly, particularly the power plant, but also the Refinery and Barracks now feel to close together. 

The GDI power plant seems really exposed and you can easily hit this with Nod artillery units from a far distance without the AGT being able to offer it much protection. I'm wondering if its fair or sensible to put this so close to the front of the GDI base? It almost certainly has to go to the back of the base, a bit like Arctic Stronghold so it's more protected.

The Nod power plant looks too close to the Hand of Nod.

The removal of the ridge hill with the turret on the Nod right flank I don't like, this seemed necessary as a defensive position, but now the whole base is open and exposed to attack from that one side.

There were a few floating trees and one of the Nod turrets was floating.

The lighting feels quite harsh in places, particularly inside the Nod refinery I noticed everything was too bright and lit up, but I can't say why this is.

It's not obvious that you will die on the black lava rock and I witnessed many of the AI jumping into the lava and trying to swim across the river. It also looks like they are meant to be stepping stones sticking out of the lava which feels misleading, I might be tempted just to remove the mesa stones in the lava, or actually turn them into a feature infantry sneak route if you know how.

The Nod base feels so well fortified with natural rock compared to the GDI side which is very open, exposed and I imagine Nod can hit a lot of different buildings from many different angles from the central field compared to a GDI attack on Nod which has lots of mountainous rock cover.

Edited by Mystic~

• Totem Arts Staff

I've updated the map a bit, added optimizations should improve fps

I do not know how AI work that seems like a programming thing and I don't think I can do anything like that atm.

Need to fix 1 minor thing and rebuild real quick..  Map has been updated new file is at the top

Edited by TankClash
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

already watched friendo but the only resources I could find regarding jumping AI was from UE4 posts, very little UE3 stuff on google, but I never really intended this to be played offline 😛

I've updated the map forced paths in some of the buildings I missed for the bots, moved around some cover for GDI's base approach, and moved the sun's angel higher so it wasn't so blinding, fixed some visual bugs with landscape and bluehell spots I missed.

Edited by TankClash
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I've updated the map to include a few extra areas of interest, moved the side entrance to the silo area on the GDI path a bit further down and out of range of the AGT, readjusted foliage and trees(hopefully no floating ones but if you find any lemmie know) added crates and fixed AI pathing a bit, they will attack each other bases now..

Removed a lot of weird rocks that have strange loading stuffs at short distances and replaced them with different ones...

Will be adding more background filler next update.

Edited by TankClash
  • Like 1

I really like the look of this map, if you're unsure with a minimap get in touch and I'll try to find time to make a minimap for ya :D 

Regarding pathnodes, you'll find them in the content browser - not in the main tab [I currently forget the name of the tab] but just drag and drop the "pathnode" from the content browser onto the map, put them a Mammoth-Tank and a half apart from each other and just make it basic for now. Then just "build paths". AI should then be responsive so long as they can each reach the enemy teams' base 

Be aware of any 'lights' that have 'dynamic' anything enabled, unticking the 'dynamic' properties in any of the maps' lights should help with optimization - there's also A lOt Of GrAsS - find some particular areas to have a meadow-amount of grass and other areas could do with just patches of grass instead of a whole field of grass :)

• Totem Arts Staff

did find the pathnods in actor classes awhile ago, though I think AI intelligence is limited to the engine  so they're gonna want to get confused when dealing with multiple paths options , the grass has dynamic lighting unticked also in the 3 types of grass are culled at a distance different distances it's not rendering all the grass at the same time only about 4000-6000-9000 distance and whatever is in your LOS it just looks weird without enough grass imo but I'll see if I can change it a bit.

Edited by TankClash

So I've just had a 30 minute play through and this is what I observed. 

I don't think the Oberlisk or AGT can shoot out far enough to reach tanks? It could be really easy as GDI to lay waste to a few buildings from artillery range and Nod can hit most buildings from most angles also. I felt both bases were now over exposed, more so on the GDI side and I really think GDI needs the whole wall back running behind the weapons factory as that near corner seems a really vulnerable spot to a few things. The side of the base near GDI refinery is very exposed and I think could be very frustrating to defend against... but I'm also mindful that Whiteout you can hit everything from hill and it presents a very challenging thing to hold.

On Nod there was an invisible wall blocking the high side route into the base, but I never got chance to try leave via this route when I switched to Nod. On GDI I found there was a missing segment of stairs leading to a wall at the front near the weapons factory.

I still really enjoy all the different routes you can take the boulders provide enough cover that flame tanks can become useful again. I think maybe the barns could be placed more centrally within the map, maybe somewhere raised, so players can use them to hide in, snipers, SBH gatherings, intel players etc, would be a bonus if the top level had windows to shoot from or were they to become as large as the barn on L4D and just feature the one, else maybe one either side of the central silo area on the exterior outside edge of the rocks.

The tiberium field looked a bit basic, maybe you can add additional patches or extra crystals to some rocks? Whoever created Forest map did a really impressive job with these aesthetic extras for example. It would be a bonus if burning trees and lava patches cause damage to infantry when crossing it on standing near to it.

I managed to sneak my hotwire from the left side to the Nod perimeter base over to the refinery by crossing the rocks which I enjoyed, it seemed challenging. I didn't try to sneak anywhere as Nod, but that front weapons factory side seems too easy, Stank with tech, APC with anything.

I also thought it was worth mentioning that it didn't feel like a claustrophobic choke point map at all, there's plenty of ways to get into and out of a base, unlike Eyes which only has the two routes, and they're easy to camp with tanks as GDI.

• Totem Arts Staff

I'll add some cover to WF and obelisk and Hand of Nod and move the wall closer to GDI bridge and remove that small area ,  added burn area on the cooled(but still hot) lava

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.01200401dbfbf5982b7184d80caea618.png

I did make the approaches narrow enough so any kind of ranged attack wouldn't be too effective since there wouldn't be a large area to mass bombard from 1 spot, multiple exists and avenues of approach can help defeat any kind of ranged camp bombardment so long as the team reacts accordingly.

image.thumb.png.fd2a551257afc621d7b2b5e7bc775dd7.png

image.thumb.png.1ac0d901bebcc9bdf18c6578fa45304a.png

image.thumb.png.a07b0e7dea5fb4735c93e2d8cff7860f.png

adding glow to cyrstals doesn't do much since it's in direct sunlight didn't really have any noticeable  difference fancy tiberium looks good in darkened areas. But I will add some decals image.thumb.png.359b43e4354be5ecdd90ee421f15abb8.png

I don't know how to cut holes into meshes, can't find any tutorials about that not familiar with any kind of 3ds thing so making my own = nope so if I want windows I will  have to make my own out of a bunch of assets glued together.

The invisible wall leading to Nod's Tiberium field should be gone now, don't know what happened there...

image.thumb.png.26872278ac9a37b8a2574fa1b1dc4b32.png

There is about 1/2 as much grass than before and a bit shorter, I had to remove the large trees because they never loaded in.

I also rotated the AGT, I think that tower beside it is a blind spot apparently blocks firing of the missile.

image.thumb.png.a63dd9df502f57d0d451ecf8a3666146.png

image.png

Edited by TankClash

Just played the latest update, my game threw up some error in Cooked PC assets whilst starting up, but it still works and I was able to join the map.

I still really enjoy all the different routes, there are lots of ways to change and diverge course if necessary and lots of interesting infantry routes through crag rocks. The lava and volcano looks really good and I don't have the same dread feeling of the Volcano map as everything is so much larger. I was playing as Nod this play through. I found that near the Nod base 2-3 metres before reaching the black lava rock you start to take fire damage, I also found a few random spots in the field where I also seemed to take damage from something. For some unknown reason I kept getting my APC buffeted and tipped into the air by something along the right side of the map. 

The orientation of the advanced guard tower facing one side was just too strange for me, I think the door needs to be facing into the GDI base. On the GDI Barracks side, I think the bridge needs some sort of crates, tipped vehicle or sandbags for infantry cover as I can tell on this side GDI players are going to be getting spawn killed trying to leave the barracks without it if there's an enemy sniper or mendoza player here. I did not get a sense that the main concrete bunker on GDI side hill was all that useful as you can't really see much as it neither over looks a tank path and most of the silo area is obscured by trees.

Before anyone can do a community play through there really needs to be a mini-map and I think @Madkill40 still helps to create these.

• Totem Arts Staff

I think you may be on an older verison, this one has the AGT doors are facing the base and the APC glitching you spoke of thing should have been fixed. 

Kilauea.7z

image.thumb.png.1091a34ec1355695a52cb28a798d520c.pngimage.thumb.png.31493063f7e66f25822a8514492e4877.png

Indending to do another update and move the Nod bunker so it's looking down the path like GDI's

image.png.06657813c8083a258aa140760d267df0.pngimage.png.1ff0056fe00796439f0623a597a27590.png

Edited by TankClash

The version I installed had 'test' in the name, but the new one still causes the error for me.

I can still do the APC glitchy thing near the lava river down from the metal infantry crossing bridge, also spotted an area where the lava texture didn't reach the edge of the trench. There's also one bunker at front of the Nod base that looks a bit odd as its not placed on a completely flat surface, just small quality points. I just found the new lava stepping stones towards GDI weapons factory, but it would be even better if there was some cover from the AGT missiles.

lava_river.jpg

map_error.jpg

uneven_ground.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff
On 9/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, Mystic~ said:

The version I installed had 'test' in the name, but the new one still causes the error for me.

I can still do the APC glitchy thing near the lava river down from the metal infantry crossing bridge, also spotted an area where the lava texture didn't reach the edge of the trench. There's also one bunker at front of the Nod base that looks a bit odd as its not placed on a completely flat surface, just small quality points. I just found the new lava stepping stones towards GDI weapons factory, but it would be even better if there was some cover from the AGT missiles.

map_error.jpg

My fault the ealier versions of the map had the RX_Kilauea package in UT3 folder which someone pointed out was the wrong place to place it, you should delete that package and re-add the rx_kilauea package to the CookedPC\RenX\Environments folder.

The Nod bunker is being moved in the next update see the post above. as for the "APC glitchy  thing" 

I'll have to raise the shores of the lava river since the Lava damage volume causes vehicles to bounces around and the hitboxes of the vehicles are larger than they appear(at least near the wheels/tracks), hence this now makes falling into lava almost certain death.

Next version will have some cover from AGT near WF lava hop spots, should be ready in a couple hours, glitchy vehicles near lava should stop bouncing, brighter.

Edited by TankClash

Thanks for all your work, this is looking to be a really good map and I hope it can get a play test before the next patch. I did find it a little odd anyway that I could fall into lava-water and still had time to swim about or climb out, so the instant death would probably add to the feel of the map being a harsh environment.

--Snip--

Edited: I don't mind whipping up a minimap, I still need to re-install Photoshop tbh. [Haven't needed it necessarily to create anything since building a new rig] Plus this Lockdown malarkey has me working more hours than normal. I just live in the reflection of life, clearly.

Edited by Madkill40

• 1 month later...

Briefly checked it today.    First impressions: I generally like the look of the setting.    The trees on fire along with the lava is nice.    I especially liked the rock rock rocks over here and rocks over there.  The rock formations look fun.  It smelled of fun infantry action, but i worry there is not enough room for vehicles.    Infantry only map? 

Does renx not have palm trees?  ...   >checks memory but finds none. 

The vehicle paths are quite narrow, but there are at least three separate routes with options to change route along the way. At least one of them has a lot of open space, but I agree there's no central battlefield here other than the space in front of each base, it feels like Islands to me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still hoping this map is going to make it into some sort of playtest or one of the future planned updates, but it needs adding into some sort or process queue so it doesn't get lost and forgotten, feel like you put loads of work and effort into it, but it's not going to get acknowledged or added to the game.

@TankClash Yo! Took me a while to get round to making this.

Mini_M_Kiluea1.tga

^Map Extent: 52400 

99.99% Accurate (Player pin-point to Map position)

When you polish off this map, feel free to add a little extra around the outside - This is just a temp minimap for now, because something is better than nothing. ^_^ Also tested out a bit of an effect to see how it would look. 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I've added some fog volumes near the outer edges of the ocean it helps a bit.

Added some cover for Nod, I did leave 'some areas' that can be hit from afar all be it a bit harder than before now as that seems to be a norm with most maps it's kind of unavoidable but should be pretty easy to counter.

also fixed some of the stones and shores of the lava river.

image.png.48e8ac02e0eaa1560d6db0abcea3e484.png

I'll have an update available once the light build is completed.

Edited by TankClash

• Totem Arts Staff
On 12/9/2020 at 7:03 PM, Madkill40 said:

@TankClash Yo! Took me a while to get round to making this.

Mini_M_Kiluea1.tga

^Map Extent: 52400 

99.99% Accurate (Player pin-point to Map position)

When you polish off this map, feel free to add a little extra around the outside - This is just a temp minimap for now, because something is better than nothing. ^_^ Also tested out a bit of an effect to see how it would look. 

Updated Luhrian showed how to add the map so that'll be on for the next version

Edited by TankClash

• Totem Arts Staff

Here's the latest version.

I was able to add the minimap provided by Madkill40 - thanks :) & to Luhrian  for showing me how to.

Once some playtesting and feedback happens I can make any changes needed and will also include the minimap

image.png.7f5283cd8501eedb5b6dd1e8fdc53ac4.png

Also found a few floating tree's should take care of them in the next update

Removed shadows from power plant fans causing them to cast strange shadows outside of the building

Edited by TankClash
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I'm uploading the latest version will some improvements

Fixed floating trees and bushes, adjusted culling, rock textures, slightly improved AI pathing 

(I can't seem to do anything about AI Nod buggies, they refuse to leave base. unless I did something wrong :/ 

Added the mini map, some cover was moved around 

Edited by TankClash
  • Thanks 2

I was excited to take a new look at this map today.    Now I must drop a note and say it is looking A.W.E.some.

There is so much that looks great. It feels more open and the different path options feel more accessible.  I am very curious what teams would make of this map. 

1.  The look.   The omnipresent Kilauea, the lava flows,   !The look of planes landing in the mountains.     Sweet.

2. Game play.    It is funky how each base is an entirely different set up, and yet,   I can imagine the planning that went into it because each base is sort of set up to work with the strengths and weakness  of the factions.    

3. The rocks.    I don't know why, but I find the rock formations more dynamic than usual.

Fun Stuff!

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My latest feedback, but could not find a flying version, so hope it's okay with just this:

• I still think the North West side of GDI base needs much more cover, like more barricades and crates, a bit similar to Goldrush as it's too open and exposed, it would still be a snipe fest even with the concrete barricade placed at the bar entrance.
  • The South East side of GDI base I think is also too open, I sort of expect the wall to continue so there's a degree of symmetry, or there should be more rock or something, destroying the refinery seems like easy pickings for Nod, as there's an open hill, track and covered passage with rocks that can be used to sneak, but it's quite difficult for GDI to sneak to Nod's refinery as you must avoid the obelisk which has very good coverage. 
  • The infantry footbridge over the lava flow needs sinking into the ground slightly as it's hovering above ground and it feels sort of placed awkwardly.
  • I still think some of the buildings in both bases are a bit awkwardly arranged - the GDI refinery I think should turn 90 degrees and have it's back towards the rocks and move further back and the power plant could be further back also in the base so it mirrors Nod's layout more. I think it's too easy just to run into the back presently.
  • On the Nod side, I think the Hand of Nod could be where that raised cliff is so it's on the same side as the GDI barracks. And the Nod power plant could be rotated a little so it fits more snugly into the rock face.
  • On the GDI side I felt disappointed that the hop-lava-rocks don't allow access to the back of the Weapons Factory if using a tech or SBH etc.
  • I sort of feel the two observation bunkers at the silo should face into the open field somewhere so they can be used defensively and more useful than just facing towards each other at the silo, or maybe you could create others, but they feel sort of odd without a concrete roof or over hanging rocks giving cover.
  • I wish I could run along the whole length of the concrete wall on a raised platform on the GDI base, would mean moving the AGT a bit further back and maybe other buildings to accommodate.
  • There's a small piece of missing black/lava texture on the mini map on the Volcano side, but it's just minor cosmetic.

I really hope you can get some sort of play test of this map as it looks just as promising as Desolation and Steppe were.

• Totem Arts Staff

Updated, new computer, it's been awhile... 

There's some changes, but not many(in this version which is meant to test some random stuff I changed) this is not the finished product and am open to constructive criticism.

PSA: Following screenshots ARE NOT the current version but the next one + whatever changes added

added an new extra area to the GDI tiberium field approach useful for flanking

image.thumb.png.a1f8c093488e7c9df509bbde22bf11c8.png

image.png.3418f6a1bfe36bc5fcf6842c66fd2744.png

Moved the Guard tower closer to GDI TIB field for defense

image.png.a401650bdd3555f13d9b721e67aba1c9.png

sorry for ugly unlit screenshots but light builds take 3.5 hours

Edited by TankClash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TankClash said:

Updated, new computer, it's been awhile... 

There's some changes, but not many(in this version which is meant to test some random stuff I changed) this is not the finished product and am open to constructive criticism.

PSA: Following screenshots ARE NOT the current version but the next one + whatever changes added

added an new extra area to the GDI tiberium field approach useful for flanking

image.thumb.png.a1f8c093488e7c9df509bbde22bf11c8.png

image.png.3418f6a1bfe36bc5fcf6842c66fd2744.png

Moved the Guard tower closer to GDI TIB field for defense

image.png.a401650bdd3555f13d9b721e67aba1c9.png

sorry for ugly unlit screenshots but light builds take 3.5 hours

Kilauea.7z 89.17 MB · 1 download

pretty cool update i like the new terrain updates to this map

Edited by NoahAllen522