New tanks?

iridesence

So, I had some time to work on 3DS max for awhile and i came up with a model for a tank.

was curious, if people would be interested in something like this.  Its purposed was for Anti-Air / Anti-Infantry.   (though i could see it taking on light armor no problem.)

ss02.png

It sports a quad 30mm automatic cannon mount on a tracked chassis  with enough armor to resist autocannon fire. It still needs texture work, and i have to realign some of the bones and meshes it seems like.

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 3

its was i was thinking.  something like the bradley.  I just think it would be cool to have more LAV style vechs in the game.

I also know waiting around for someone to make one is not going to happen so I am trying my hand at vech creation and rigging.   I made a few back in the old days of old renegade, but that was like 13 years ago..

Which C&C unit is this ?

you can try repurposing the idea into either a Soviet flak truck like that in OpenRA as that turret going to waste would be shame.

or an GDI Flak Tank like in some Tiberian Dawn cutscenes. something like this:

https://cdn.cnc-comm.com/gallery/command-and-conquer/Renders/flyby01.gif

what i really need help with atm is texturing.  i am just terrible at that stuff for some raisin.

here was also another attempt i made as practice:

ss03.png

again, i am terrible at texturing, so that will probably take me for freaking ever.

Edited by iridesence

2 hours ago, Eagle XI said:

Which C&C unit is this ?

you can try repurposing the idea into either a Soviet flak truck like that in OpenRA as that turret going to waste would be shame.

i can give you the 3ds max file if you want it.  i cant seem to get the bones on it to line up properly, so i started a new vech.

i am doing a few practice models atm just to get used to it.

2 hours ago, iridesence said:

i can give you the 3ds max file if you want it.  i cant seem to get the bones on it to line up properly, so i started a new vech.

i am doing a few practice models atm just to get used to it.

i could theoretically help you with rigging but I am no expert.  I have done many vehicles of my own for here and I know pretty much how to set things up.  

It's how you think about it and what you want out of it.    which is rather difficult if you struggle with your own thoughts..

Edited by [B]Veyron

well i got my first tank made.

everything is working except perhaps the weapons system, which while functions, has some bugs that need fixed.  once thats ironed out its fully complete.

ss01.png

The tank has light armor equivalent that that of the buggy and Humvee, but it's bulk gives it a heftier 500hp chunk compared to 250hp so it can take more punishment compared to the early scouts.

it handles as well as a fast recon tank, but due to it's dimensions it cannot avoid fire as often (its a bigger target to hit.)

it Sports a 25mm automatic cannon with a 50 round magazine.  excellent for anti infantry work, and with enough time to focus fire, can work down larger targets if ignored.

It can also carry 3 people.  (1 driver & 2 passengers)

What sets this tank apart from the others in-game, and gives it a niche, is its secondary function:

ss02.png

This tank is capable of laying down smokescreens for its allies.  it can launch these canisters every 12 seconds (to give time for the previous smoke to clear), and it can launch them at a fair distance away.  This gives the tank a niche as a battlefield support tank, as well as an infantry hunter.

Will probably touch it up a bit once i can get the weapon system un-bugged.

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 2

well i finished a prototype of the tank, got the weapons system mostly unbugged.  ill include a package for it if anyone wants to give it a try here:  test_tank-LAV.rar

next thing i want to try and model is an actual tank.  i got it decently finished, but it seems to be crashing udk when i try to load a map with it:

things.png

^^ my initial guess is the poly count, but i need to do more testing tbh.  and find someone who can do some art for me for textures.

Edited by iridesence

I for one would love some extra tanks. Maybe a dedicated anti air tank for each side? Similar to the turrets on whiteout i guess?

For maps with no air vechs maybe a suicide emp tank for nod and a repair tank for gdi (Both tanks would be weaker in armour than the mrls/arty and on the smaller size maybe slightly smaller than a buggy?)

They could be unlocked after a certain amount of time on a map. Give players something to look foward to.

Although i wouldnt be in favour of any tank that isnt lore friendly.

7 hours ago, Goku said:

I for one would love some extra tanks. Maybe a dedicated anti air tank for each side?

you mean like this:

stuff.png

that was one i abandoned early in favor of other projects.  used it for learning stuff in 3ds max.

also, where might i find the crash logs again?

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 5:37 AM, Goku said:

I for one would love some extra tanks. Maybe a dedicated anti air tank for each side?

What about these:

1st pic is a stinger system mounted on a mobile chassis.  trades the dpm of the MRLS for much higher spike damage, mobility, and a better firing arc.  the missile are also faster, so they are harder to dodge if they get a lock.  (this would be good for Nod since they use SAM's and stingers for AA purposes)

things.png

2nd is essentially a Duster.  a Dual 40mm anti-aircraft cannon on a moderatly armored chassis.  shreds light armor and has an amazing firing arc.  has a hard time in close combat though due to a lack of decent gun depression.  (good for GDI since it fits the theme of there tanks imo)

stuff.png

both need an artist to work on textures, and they are both essentially beta in terms of completion.  (they work, but they are not balanced, and a few graphical quirks are present. tolerable for me, but i can't speak for others.)

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The new one is intended to be an "aerial capital ship"  in terms of gameplay.

its large, has a good hp pool, and has a moderatly powerful long-range missile system, and can carry as much passengers as an apc.

it cant defend itself in close combat though, so its major weakness is no real close range defense, as well as it being a huge target compared to the other aircraft.

doing last stages on my most complete project: a GDI tank destroyer
model is completely finished.  just needs weapon tweaking, and an icon.

stuff.png.59f4ceec7a4f4827d0cb6f2155e49695.png

its a fixed gun chassis tank
very high power, very low rate of fire and obviously no turret  traverse.  those 2 balance out the high power per shot.
this fixed gun tank destroyer carries a 310mm cannon on a down-armored medium tank chassis. (500hp compared to 800)

This powerful platform has an abysmal reload of 10 seconds along with no turret traverse, but if allowed to stay alive and actively engage its target, it can 2 shot a medium or light tank.  it fires too slowly to be of any use vs buildings being internally repaired.  (unless people guarding the base are too stupid to notice this pounding the base,)

Overall at a glance stats:

Firepower:  5/5

Armor: 2/5

Mobility: 3/5

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Veyron said:

i love that Osprey!!! 

do some jetliners/private jets.  boeing maybe? like shit! imagine the flow of ideas if we had everyday vehicles!!

you can fly that osprey in the test server taisho put up.  (see other thread in this section).  its undergoing texture rework atm though.

the original renegade did have a private jet modeled for the singleplayer campaign..  but i dont see how much of a use that would have here, unless for like props or something.

Edited by iridesence

On 7/8/2018 at 8:08 AM, iridesence said:

the original renegade did have a private jet modeled for the singleplayer campaign..  but i dont see how much of a use that would have here, unless for like props or something.

nodpersonneljet.jpg.aabf02c71bac3d95b0474f99737cbfb6.jpg

Yes, it would be cool to see it back in RenX.

You could also try some other vehicles from the single player campaign that might be useful to have as crates, or as extra vehicles for some maps:

nodcargotruck.jpg.7c95e5c5e1aae3ea3e046a87ded9cd4b.jpgsedan2.jpg.1eee78c9c925797e6cab6ade22a89e96.jpgtruck2.jpg.a312251a3a317a3d3f46648d6d75d70f.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 4:08 PM, iridesence said:

Imagine that you fly 20 gunners in it to an enemy base...
Imagine if it works...
Imagine the VP if it fails :P

Also, imagine SBHS can get in the passenger seat unnoted and via this way get in the enemy base :P

3 minutes ago, Ryz said:

Tried the vehicles btw, since you are still working I wont give feedback now besides that they look cool. Can see a lot of possibilities with these!

you can always pm me.  i wanted feedback from other people, its why they are there to begin with.

Edited by iridesence

texture update for the Tank Destroyer:

things.png.cdfa0eb05066301727bb7ad0752fd9fc.png

Weapon has also been adjusted.

it now can do devastatingly effective damage vs vehicles(2 shot a medium tank, 3 shot a mammoth),

but it is pitiful vs structures (2% per shot), and is moderate vs infantry (though basic infantry will still get outright killed on a direct hit because of the raw base damage)

the 10 second reload ensures that targets will have time to take cover, or react to the initial ambush, before its destroyed.

this gives the tank a purpose as a siege breaker or tank hunter, or for locking down a avenue of attack.

it has no turret, so it has to turn the entire tank to aim at targets, which means nimble targets can theoretically mitigate damage by moving around, and not being stationary. (this also limits the usefulness of the tank vs infantry.)

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

The tank destroyer is an awesome addition! it seems different enough from all other tanks to really add variety!

I'm forgetting which aircraft shoots like 60-80 rockets in one go. But I feel like the shots should be halved and the power of each missle be increased by 2x. Even at heroic, the damage is minimal currently.

that would be the hind, its already been adjusted internally to be more consistent with its salvos.  that clip size is based on its weapon (which are quad rocket pods each of which carry 20 low yield unguided rockets.)  Its purpose built for saturation over precision.

i plan on updating the server states soon, as its mostly outdated atm in regard to tank stats.

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, iridesence said:

that would be the hind, its already been adjusted internally to be more consistent with its salvos.  that clip size is based on its weapon (which are quad rocket pods each of which carry 20 low yield unguided rockets.)  Its purpose built for saturation over precision.

i plan on updating the server states soon, as its mostly outdated atm in regard to tank stats.

excellent, the Hind. great to hear.

Overall I'd say the new tanks are coming along nicely!

On 6/24/2018 at 5:15 PM, iridesence said:

So, I had some time to work on 3DS max for awhile and i came up with a model for a tank.

was curious, if people would be interested in something like this.  Its purposed was for Anti-Air / Anti-Infantry.   (though i could see it taking on light armor no problem.)

ss02.png

It sports a quad 30mm automatic cannon mount on a tracked chassis  with enough armor to resist autocannon fire. It still needs texture work, and i have to realign some of the bones and meshes it seems like.

Is the Flakverling a prefab? Cause it looks a lot like the one used in Heroes & Generals 😮

https://heroesandgenerals.gamepedia.com/Flakvierling_38

Also, that's not a 30mm it's a 20mm.

While I do like the tracked vehicle, there's just something more rebellious about a truck or pick-up as the vehicle.

1125px-V_53.png?version=55770853cfd39cb0

Granted, this IS the version from H&G but, maybe a more modern truck would make it look more Nod-centric.

cQzfHaK.jpg

Maybe it can even be taken a step further by using a truck similar to the ones in Tiberian Sun.

09Smszw.jpg

never heard of that game before, but i can  already see slight differences in model design just from the pictures.  also, that first post was my very first time using 3ds max in over 12-15 years.  so i just used that model as a way to tinker and learn things. 

I AM experimenting atm with royalty free models atm for personal use though:

things.png.0a872668fe7aa8ddde5242f7766dd8eb.png

each time i use one though i always ask the author, to make sure and get permission. (if there is no clear statue for use displayed)

each time i put something together i get a little better at it, so its def worth the time for me.  (a good example being the tank destroyer, which was a result of my learning how rigging worked better over time by making many dummy tanks using prefabs.)

Edited by iridesence