New tanks?

iridesence

13 minutes ago, iridesence said:

never heard of that game before, but i can  already see slight differences in model design just from the pictures.  also, that first post was my very first time using 3ds max in over 12-15 years.  so i just used that model as a way to tinker and learn things. 

I AM experimenting atm with royalty free models atm for personal use though:

things.png.0a872668fe7aa8ddde5242f7766dd8eb.png

each time i use one though i always ask the author, to make sure and get permission. (if there is no clear statue for use displayed)

each time i put something together i get a little better at it, so its def worth the time for me.  (a good example being the tank destroyer, which was a result of my learning how rigging worked better over time by making dummy tanks using prefabs.)

The Tank Destroyer definitely looked good but, I don't think I'll ever get over the fact that the other one is a German 20mm Flakvierling 38. They went out of service at the end of WW2. Granted, there can be the argument that the Flakvierling was still conceived without Hitler since they saw service from 1934 to 1945.

But even using that logic, there would have to be a pretty strong suspension of disbelief (for the C&C universe) to look past some the lore sensitive toes it could step on but, that's just my nitpick since the gun would be closed to 50 years old by the time of the first Tiberian War.

Edited by RadicalEdward2

Just now, iridesence said:

maybe, but that model is not going to be seeing use at this point.  it was more of a testbed then anything

The idea of a mobile AA gun is still an idea worth exploring. It definitely has potential. It just needs more refining :)

But if you were going to try to play around with a mobile SAM vehicle like there were in C&C's skirmish, maybe you could try to find some more modern selections (of course the trick part would be finding the models or making them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flakpanzer_Gepard

The Gepard could be interesting because it kind of looks like the Red Alert 2 Tesla Tanks.

But when in doubt, there's always a truck with a newer AA-gun on the back of it ;)

i did have a rigged mobile SAM vehicle done, but there were several mechanical & coding issues that arose, so it got abandoned for now.  i do still have a personal project rigged that is working for a mobile AA platform, but i dont have plans to release it as it is atm.

thing.png.1bbc3dd0a5d3191878e89b32f2d68b97.png

Edited by iridesence

A laser tank did cross my mind at one point.

Atm once i am done working on these few project tanks, i actualy plan on learning how the airstrike consumable works, and making a cheaper version that calls in a strafing run of MG fire from something like a corsair,  instead of a GAU & missile strike of the A10.  good infantry supression, but weak vs tanks.

the strike consumables have potential.

Edited by iridesence

7 hours ago, iridesence said:

the closest thing i have to it atm is this:

things.png.324f991795f3c5508eded7c3f52081b8.png

But it is far from complete(needs new textures, mesh is incomplete), nor do i have plans to finish it.
I suppose if someone wants the files so they can finish it i could hand them over.  (if asked)

That's pretty good. Needs more Nod grit though.

14 hours ago, CoreDefender said:

What are your thoughts on the GDI Sidam I posted?

Sidam?

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, RadicalEdward2 said:

I would prefer that centuries newer tech didn't appear in the 90s (unless they were crate drops).

Plus, wouldn't most of the fighter/bombers be too fast considering the size of the maps?

All of the vehicles are balanced to specifically play on the average renx size map. Nothing is going to be exactly like it was in whatever game it came from. And in the end I would guess it's up to server owners to implement this, so it's nothing to worry about really. I don't plan on going AGN style.

someone asked me if i was going to give Nod any love.

well, i wasn't planning to reveal it until it was near completion, but there IS this:

things.png.bc2e5a6e15743ffd89c9fe2a0ff8203c.png

Nod artillery platform used to mount a rapid fire autocannon designed for AA work. 

having 2 problems preventing it from being released:  minor physics issues, and turret textures.

if those can get fixed, its  release candidate quality i believe.

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, taishō said:

All of the vehicles are balanced to specifically play on the average renx size map. Nothing is going to be exactly like it was in whatever game it came from. And in the end I would guess it's up to server owners to implement this, so it's nothing to worry about really. I don't plan on going AGN style.

True. But I personally would prefer if future tech was kept in crate drops. Like, if Nod was to get a fighter/bomber, I would prefer that it was a similar make to that jet from the old FMVs (not confused with the Warthog).

16 hours ago, CoreDefender said:

Check my previous post. The Sidam was a GDI unit that was only featured in a Tiberian Dawn cutscene as a modified APC with a quad AA cannon mounted on top.

876954617_GDISidam2.thumb.jpg.07aba928759326cc350100b02c7cf404.jpg

Oh okay. That works.

One thing I would say that Nod needs are their Tiberian Dawn era attack bikes that totally aren't bikes from TRON or Akira lol

Release Candidate 1 for the Tank Destroyer:

TankDestroyer.rar

Servers can feel free to do testing if they wish to.

This tank WILL take some by surprise when they first encounter it, as it is radically powerful vs vehicles, only medium tanks and other similarly armored tanks can survive a shot.

It has no turret, and a 10 second reload, so those targets that can survive, will have ample time to react.

It is also pitifully weak vs structures (2% per shot), so it cant be abused vs buildings. (turrets and guard towers still get wrecked)

It CAN be effective vs infantry who are dumb enough to try and engage it from the front, but the lack of turret means it is not the best platform to try and fight them with, as nimble targets will give it trouble with aiming and all that jazz.

Air units are the hardest counter to this tank, as it cannot raise its gun enough to target them properly, nor does it have the turret to help track them.

At heroic levels, only 4 vehicles can survive a shot from it: flame tanks, medium tanks, mammoth tanks, titans (the flame and medium will barely survive at around 20% health, while the mammoth will survive at 50%, titan around 35%).

Edited by iridesence

14 hours ago, iridesence said:

Кандидат на выпуск 1 для Разрушителя Танков:

TankDestroyer.rar

Серверы могут свободно протестировать, если захотят.

Этот танк будет удивлен, когда они впервые столкнутся с ним, так как это радикально мощный против автомобилей, только средние танки и другие аналогичные бронированные танки могут выдержать выстрел.

У него нет башни и 10-секундной перезарядки, поэтому те цели, которые могут выжить, будут иметь достаточное время для реагирования.

Это также жалко слабый против структур (2% за выстрел), поэтому он не может злоупотреблять против зданий. (башенки и сторожевые башни по-прежнему разрушаются)

Он может быть эффективен против пехоты, которые достаточно глупы, чтобы попытаться задействовать ее с фронта, но отсутствие башни означает, что это не лучшая платформа, чтобы попытаться сразиться с ними, поскольку проворные цели дадут ей проблемы с прицелом и все такое джаз.

Воздушные узлы являются самой стойкой встречей с этим танком, поскольку он не может поднять свое оружие достаточно, чтобы нацелиться на них должным образом, и у него нет башни, чтобы отслеживать их.

На героических уровнях только 4 автомобиля могут выдержать выстрел из него: пламя танков, средних танков, мамонтовых танков, титанов (пламя и среда едва выживут при 20% здоровья, а мамонт выживет на 50%, титан около 35 %).

You forgot about one more: Mammoth 2 MK- 20-21 shots.

6 hours ago, roweboat said:
On 7/14/2018 at 11:27 PM, iridesence said:

wut?

He's right though. a Tank Destroyer vs a Mammoth MKII still takes quite a few hits.

Come on, what do you expect, people? To have it bring down even an aircraft carrier in 2 shots? 😂

• Haha 1

Pretty Much Finished with the HIMARS.

thingss.thumb.png.d698b274df927ee423a85bbdf43d3f2e.png

It is the undisputed king of long-range combat.  

If ignored, it can use its salvo of 12 Shaped Charge Heavy AT missiles to decimate any known ground armor or light aircraft (orcas, apaches, chinooks,etc).  It takes 10 seconds to fully discharge this weapon, so its not instant damage.  The missiles follow a "Top-Down" trajectory.

This power does not come without drawbacks:

-It only has 225hp (light armor) so it is very fragile.  (2-3 PIC or railgun hits will kill it)
-It cannot fire at anything that gets remotely close.
-It requires a missile lock to be able to fire with any certainty.
-It is big, and it cannot turn in place.

despite these drawbacks, no other artillery piece can dish out as much DPM as this can, again, if it is ignored.

Hard counters to this are:  Infantry & Stealth Units

Cannot target buldings or infantry directly, as it requires a missile lock to have any kind of accuracy.

Edited by iridesence
  • Like 3

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, iridesence said:

The missiles follow a "Top-Down" trajectory.

Did you write that in yourself, or are you using a certain something that was already lying around in the rocket projectile code? If it's the latter, then that thing's semi-broken in netplay . 

its much more simple then that.    no code was lying around, and nothing custom written.

if i decide to push it through for public testing, you will see why.  The only thing left to do on it, is to create the miniature icon for it.

Edited by iridesence

depends on how common you want it to be.  the bradley is superior to most tanks in the game atm, but its balanced by crate rarity.  (and then there is the tesla tank, which decimates things at close range.)

also, its dps is good vs light armor(aircraft, artillery, and scouts) and infantry.  vs heavy armor (tanks & buildings) the gun loses most of its power.    Think of it as a late game infantry hunter.  (though i was mulling the idea of a precision infantry killer vehicle with a sniper-type weapon.)

Edited by iridesence

On 7/27/2018 at 5:35 PM, iridesence said:

depends on how common you want it to be.  the bradley is superior to most tanks in the game atm, but its balanced by crate rarity.  (and then there is the tesla tank, which decimates things at close range.)

also, its dps is good vs light armor(aircraft, artillery, and scouts) and infantry.  vs heavy armor (tanks & buildings) the gun loses most of its power.    Think of it as a late game infantry hunter.  (though i was mulling the idea of a precision infantry killer vehicle with a sniper-type weapon.)

My point was increasing the weapon spread, so at longer range infantry stand a bit more of a chance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

have a feedback for you for the osprey? 

add in 3ds max animation where when you change position or accelerate forward change the direction of the rotors because don't they do that already irl? 

if you go forward the rotors rotate so they are facing forward and so on... 

also I feel like the model could use a few fixings on the overall shape I feel like it's very whale-like but nbd it's still cool and needs GDI textures! :) 

• 2 months later...