Patch 5.1 Preliminary changelist

yosh56

• Totem Arts Staff

Indeed, the Yosh has been toiling away in silence, but on that same token the silence can finally be broken.

Most of this patch focuses on totally rehauling infantry, as for the most part, infantry have been broken in OldRen/RenX since the dawn of their existence. RenX at least made other weapons viable other than sniper rifles, but then it shot itself in the foot by giving engineers + every other class Assault rifles, so nothing really had that much of a purpose, and you could get away with just being a Tech/Hotty 90% of the time. On top of that, there never really felt like there was any variation in classes, ESPECIALLY considering there were 14 of the freakin' things. So... things happened.

Of course, we did more than just handle infantry stuff... but that's the primary portion of the change-list.

5.1 Changelist:

-----------------

Additions

Infantry Armor:

------

-Swapped Health and Armor numbers (Health is always 100)

-Armor now provides a defensive bonus, based on the infantry unit, while it is greater than 0

+Kevlar: Provides ~30% resistance to Gun weapons

+FLAK: Provides ~50% resistance to explosives, but a ~30% weakness to bullet-type weapons.

+Lazarus: Is only used by the SBH, and has a weakness to electrical damage.

**Snipers, Tiberium weapons and all energy weapons (including the Railgun), ignore armour.

----

Repair Tool

+Added Repair Tool to "Items" menu

+The Repair tool DOES take up the item slot, and WILL replace a beacon or an airstrike if you buy it afterward

+The Repair tool only has 400 ammo, but recharges itself over time while sitting idle, or not equipped. It can NOT be refilled.

-All infantry now have their own base speed value

Subtractions

---------------

Removed purchasable sidearms,* sans repair tool

Balance

Infantry

-------------

GDI

----

Rifleman/Shotgunner: Given Kevlar armour

Grenadier: Given FLAK armour. Armour increased to 125, Speed reduced 10%

Engineers: Given FLAK armour. Armour reduced to 75, Speed Reduced 15%

Marksman: Given Kevlar armour, Armour reduced to 75

Officer: Given Kevlar armour and smoke grenades. Speed reduced 10%

Rocket Officer: Given FLAK armour and AT-Mines. Speed reduced 10%

McFarland: Given Kevlar armour, armour reduced to 125, Speed increased 10%

Patch: Given Kevlar armour, armour reduced to 175, Speed increased 17.5%, Given frag grenades.

Gunner: Given FLAK armour, speed reduced 10%, Given EMP grenades,Given AT-Mines, Given Machine Pistol.

Deadeye: Given Kevlar armour, Armour reduced to 150, Given smoke grenades, Speed reduced 10%, Given Heavy pistol

Hotwire: Given FLAK armour, armour reduced to 125, Speed reduced 10%

Mobius: Given Kevlar Armour, Given Heavy Pistol

Sydney: Given FLAK Armour, speed reduced 10%, Given Heavy Pistol, Given AT-Mines, Given EMP Grenades

Havoc: Given Kevlar Armour, Armour reduced to 200, speed reduced 10%, Given Carbine; Remote C4 removed.

Nod

----

Rifleman/Shotgunner: Given Kevlar armour

FlameThrower: Given FLAK armour. Armour increased to 125, Speed increased 5%

Engineers: Given FLAK armour. Armour reduced to 75, Speed Reduced 15%

Marksman: Given Kevlar armour, Armour reduced to 75

Officer: Given Kevlar armour and smoke grenades; Armour Reduced to 125

Rocket Officer: Given FLAK armour and AT-Mines. Armour reduced to 125

Chem Trooper: Given FLAK armour,

SBH: Given Lazarus armour, armour reduced to 150, Speed increased 10%, given Silenced SMG

LCG: Given FLAK armour, speed reduced 20%, Sidearm removed, Given EMP grenades, Given AT-Mines, Armor increased to 250, Jump height reduced 20%

BHS: Given Kevlar armour, Armour reduced to 150, Given smoke grenades, Speed reduced 10%, Given Heavy pistol

Technician: Given FLAK armour, armour reduced to 125, Speed reduced 10%

Mendoza: Given Kevlar Armour, Given Heavy Pistol, Given Blue Tiberium Rifle, Speed increased 10%

Raveshaw: Given FLAK Armour, Armour reduced to 225, Given Heavy Pistol, Given AT-Mines, Given EMP Grenades

Sakura: Given Kevlar Armour, Armour reduced to 200, speed reduced 10%, Given Silenced Carbine; Remote C4 removed.

Weapons

-------------------

Proximity C4:

+Damage increased significantly (2 should kill most free or tier 2 infantry that don't have FLAK armour; 3 should handle most infantry that have Kevlar armour).

+Proximity mines no longer explode through walls.

+Proximity mines are now deployed in the same manner as beacons/AT-Mines, meaning you actually need to stop to re-mine an area, as well as being unable to mine walls.

All Grenades

+All grenades have INFINITE ammo, but with fairly significant cooldowns on using them, rendering them more of a class special ability than anything. They can not be refilled.

+Grenades reload even if you don't have them selected.

+All Grenade weapons are bound to "5" by default.

-Chem Sprayer: Range reduced 20%;

-Heavy Pistol: Hit-scan; Base damage set to 20; Headshot multiplier moved to 3; Heavy Vehicle damage greatly reduced; Light vehicle damage reduced

-Carbine: Given silenced vs. Non-silenced version; base damage reduced; headshot multiplier slightly increased

-Machine Pistol: Given silenced vs. Non-silenced variants; Recoil increased; Spread decreased overall

-Silenced Pistol: Base damage > 10; Headshot multiplier > 3.5

-Sniper Rifle: Base damage 80 > 100; Headshot multiplier 3.75 > 3.0

-Laser Chaingun: Reload Time increased slightly; Magazine size 100>120; Given infinite ammo (Cuz... rechargeable batteries)

-Laser Rifle: Spread decreased; infinite ammo because rechargeable batteries.

-Nod Volt Rifle: Replaced with Blue Tiberium rifle

-Gunner's Rocket Launcher: Moved to client-side projectiles. Splash damage increased

-Tactical Rifle: Heavy armour damage reduced greatly; Light armour damage reduced slightly ; Projectile speed increased ~45%.

-Volt Auto Rifle: Spread decreased significantly. Rate of fire increased slightly.

-Automatic Rifle: Projectile speed increased ~20%

-Chaingun: Increased Projectile speed ~30%

-Remote C4: Damage to Kevlar infantry reduced 20%

-Repair Gun(All of them): Disarm speed increased slightly

-Ramjet Rifle: slightly slowed down rate of fire to keep its ROF on par with the 500; Light armour damage increased.

-Marksman Rifle: Moved back to being projectile based

ALL* WEAPONS: Increased damage vs. MCT; increased overall ammo counts

---------------------

Vehicles:

--------------------

GDI:

Mammoth tank: Rate of fire decreased. Reload time increased. Damage increased.

Nod:

Light Tank: Speed increased ~10%; turn speed very slightly increased

Stealth Tank: Missiles now use acceleration. Range Increased.

+Increased all vehicle's damage vs. MCT.... on the off chance you can ever hit it. [There is a bug where this sometimes won't work right in first person]

+Increased Buggy/Humvee/APC damage vs. buildings

---------------------

Map Changes:

------------

Significantly lowered all mine limits in accordance with Proximity mine changes

**Walls, Whiteout and Lakeside have had most invisible barriers removed. Soft Boundaries have been instated.

Canyon: Fixed being able to walk out of the level near the mid-field bunker by the Tib field.

Islands: Fixed several areas where you could get out of the map or onto unintended places.

Field_Day: Made the sky look... better.

Most maps have gone through some optimization passes, and been converted to mostly static lighting. Not all maps included with this patch, for the sake of not making it almost 4GB.

UI:

-Normalized all CText message's scales

-Removed 'Weapons' from the purchase menu

-Removed sidearm/explosive boxes from Purchase menu

-Proximity C4/Anti-Tank mines given a blue deploy bar while deploying.

-Building icons go red when there is less than 10% armour, as opposed to just 0. (Just so the icon stays red even if the building is being repaired)

Bug Fixes:

-C4 is no longer removed from the inventory when expended, so the supposed C4 refill bug is fixed. (In reality, it was a bug that you ever kept your C4)

-Mammoth's cannons should be only as prone to the no-fire bug as any other weapon now, so very rarely.

-The game now checks to make sure buying an SBH went through all of the way.

-You should no longer be able to mine-ban people on the other team

Misc:

-Removed Anti-bunny-hop from infantry

-Building repaired messages while using building armour should be less spammy now

-Moved most visual settings out of RenegadeX.ini and into XSettings.ini

-Redisabled speedtreeleaves by default.

-Possibly fixed PT crashes

-Changed Airdrop Chinook to Nod Chinook for now.

Known Issues:

The Chinook's guns don't do headshot damage.

Proximity mines don't explode if you put them on the MCT......... if you put them on the MCT (sounds like an easy solution)

Grenades appear to be reloading when you first select them, though if you throw them they work as intended.

• Totem Arts Staff

Okay so no 5.005 but 5.1

Any new maps (Crash Site, Snow)? I think a lot want new fresh content. A lot are bored playing the stock RenX maps. Is my newer/even better TrainingYard in it? Is the new infantry only map (CNC-Ash) from Conscript in it?

Why blue tiberium rifle. Mendoza has since 2002 volt auto rifle. I'm not against it. But I think some changes don't fit to the game.

Edited by Guest

Trust me, the new infantry changes make the game feel way different even on the current maps.

I would assume your new TrainingYard is in there but if it's not, I'll pester Yosh to get it in there. Snow needs a play test as does Crash Site before they will make it into the patch. Crash Site also still needs the custom assets to be added to the base game I believe. We don't want to add a borked map that plays bad/runs bad because we failed to test it.

• Totem Arts Staff

I agree some maps are not good enough to be added to the game. But why the Renegade X Devs make some new ones. I know some People don't have time to do it and accept that. But there are not so many official fan-made map by RenX devs. There only 4 of the devs (LakeSide, GoldRush, Xmountain and Valley)

No more annoying bugs, less annoying crashes, and best of all, GDI is finally going to buy infantry other than hottie+sidearm. I'm very excited to see how this will turn out in a balance perspective, and even more excited to see the new strats people are going to do with these inf changes!

Oh wow, these are quite some changes to infantry! Can't wait to try them out.

Is the blue tiberium rifle an anti-vehicle gun? As it is now the weapon of choice for Mendoza...

Also I like the idea of more specialized characters instead of the jack of al trades Hottie/Tech.

Looking good!

Btw: What happened to CNC-Eyes & CNC-Trainingyard? Are they back in the game?

EDIT: Does nod have an advantage now with the whole rechargable batteries thing? They can keep shooting and take cover while the weapon reloads. GDI wont have such a thing. Making me more curious on how this will play

Edited by Guest

Oh wow, these are quite some changes to infantry! Can't wait to try them out.

Is the blue tiberium rifle an anti-vehicle gun? As it is now the weapon of choice for Mendoza...

It will have two forms of firing, one being anti-inf and the other anti-tank/structure. So early reminder: don't be the one who messes up a doza rush by using the wrong fire option

Repair tool has finite ammo, even when engineers, technicans, hotties are using them? I think this purchasable repair tool, with cooldown is one of the most drastic change in the game. I am really excited right now.

Actually, the repair tool, is different from the repair gun, and I EDIT for total clarity...

Repair guns = infinite clip size, infinite ammo, infinite period

Repair tools = limited clip size of 400 (?), stop using it, it recharges 1 every .04 seconds (?), or about a recharge in 10 seconds.

Enough to get your vehicle going in 1 or maybe 2 clips, and to get you past mines with about 20 seconds of handiwork, but limited range so when dealing with mines you can't just give them all a 2% health and do them all at once, or repair tanks from total cover like Techs.

Repair tool has finite ammo, even when engineers, technicans, hotties are using them? I think this purchasable repair tool, with cooldown is one of the most drastic change in the game. I am really excited right now.

Actually, the repair tool, is different from the repair gun.

Repair guns = infinite

Repair tools = finite.

This isn't 100% true. The repair tool is technically infinite but has a cooldown period and has even less range than the engineer's repair gun. [Thus, edited original post for clarity.]

EDIT: Does nod have an advantage now with the whole rechargable batteries thing? They can keep shooting and take cover while the weapon reloads. GDI wont have such a thing. Making me more curious on how this will play

Actually, Yosh's patch notes include higher spare ammo on other classes. It won't be a huge advantage in that regard, just a Nod-trademark edge.

So basically he was going for, LCG having the literal ammo, tank-durability, and speed, of a tank. An autorifle would probably do better damage to him than a med tank, but the chaingun can parry back infantry while he WILL take damage.

And against tanks, honestly the techs should be repairing him, he might be more cost-effective and endurable against Meds than the Light Tanks. Then again, Light Tanks move twice as fast as him AND provide SOME cover for their techs.

Oh my... those infantry changes definitely got me intruiged1 Is there going to be any way to recognise who is wearing what kind of armour in-game, except for plain memorisation? maybe a small F, K or L in italic above the unit name?

The proximity mine changes got me a bit worried. But, i haven't been able to try them yet so i'll wait to see how they work out in the end! I love the changelist so far! :D

The infantry descriptions in the UI are updated to tell you who has what armor, what sidearm they have, and their strengths.

(if this is what you're talking about) The PT UI does not show what armour and weapons the enemy units are using. So you would still have to memorise what units have what equipped.

If you want to put it that way, sure. It's not at all difficult to get familiar with it, and you'll get used to it after a proper game or two. At the end of the day, you're still going to end up pointing and clicking your weapon at someone, regardless what armor they have.

The PT UI does not show what armour and weapons the enemy units are using. So you would still have to memorise what units have what equipped.

The purchase icon tells you what character you are buying that has what armor.

The enemies, it is always a safe bet to assume, if it can fuck up a tank, then bullets can massacre it. Including the LCG, except the very real threat that it can fuck you up right back. If it's weapon would do nothing against a tank, then it will hold up better against bullets.

That means Flak goes to engineer, hotwire/tech, gunner, rocket soldier, LCG, pic/rail.

Mobius and Mend are autorifle brawlers who's weapon happens to do vehicles and they have Kevlar. Patch has an autorifle, which is slightly better against infantry, and happens to cover armor as well, so Kevlar. Obviously McFarland has Kevlar, chaingun officers have kevlar, autorifles and snipers and shotgunners all kill people and have people-armor.

Hardest to remember, is Flamer and Chem. They both have flak, which makes them useful for trying to get through mines in a massive rush. Especially the Flamer, that would be a GDI-perk if Flametroop didn't have flak so it does. Not sure about Chem but I can feel it may just come in handy.

• Totem Arts Staff
Why blue tiberium rifle. Mendoza has since 2002 volt auto rifle. I'm not against it. But I think some changes don't fit to the game.

The blue tiberium rifle was sorta my idea. Peeps were considering the Tib Auto Rifle for some variance which is sorta awkward if they're able to blow tanks up. And I was like, "Okay, let's make it a blue tiberium, cuz Mesa 2 has it and in Tib Sun you can ignite it to a massive destructive fireworks". And suddenly it just managed to take off

Lets start with the "WTF":

-Whats with all the stuff that ignore armors? Snipers? Energy weapons?!? That new Blue Tiberium Rifle, too?!? Wtf? With everyone having 100 health now, this is just insane.

-Grenade cooldown...? I find that really silly. They should never be unlimited, but they also shouldn't work on cooldowns.... this is just weird as hell.

The good:

-I really like the attempt at making every infantry even more different. This also opens up a lot of ways to rebalance infantry in the future, giving them unique attributes, different speed, armor and side items. Its definitely neat.

-Removal of side-arm options is sad, but was necessary. Although you could implement side options PER CLASS, but thats a lot of work.

-The Repair Tool side option (with a limited charge) is a good addition.

-Good proximity changes, on paper anyway.

-Removal of invisible barriers on map is a great thing.

My opinion:

-I really think Piercing (sniper), Energy and Tiberium should be a part of the armor design and even more armor types, instead of just "all going through armor", which just sounds utterly insane.

I find that to be a missed opportunity. (and I secretly wish at least one infantry had an armor that survived a sniper headshot)

I do want to tell you, congratulations for being bold enough to try and change some of this stuff.

Any chance of getting the 2nd F8-filter added as a checkbox option? Game is so much cleaner with it on, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get there with normal settings

(Left= normal, mostly low settings. Right= same settings with filter on)

http://i.imgur.com/5P9fWYY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/29rnvi4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EZlbWAo.jpg

Ignoring armor means it has no multiplier.

Correct. Snipers, I think should follow kevlar-projectile multipliers, because the cheap one is supposed to be good anti-engineer and not a tunnel god, despite what anyone else thinks. Lasers make sense to do same armor to flak as to kevlar. Same with energy and tiberium weapons. They don't need a multiplier, because they are generally already good.

Ignoring armor, doesn't mean piercing armor. It still requires damaging all the armor and the health to kill. It just means, a sniper that shoots kevlar will not do 80 damage because resistance, he will do the full 100. Lasers are the same, to an engi its 15 damage a bullet and to a riflemen it's also 15 damage a bullet.

Ignoring armor is the wrong wording, though.

It does not ignore armor, it ignores armor damage reduction.

I clearly remember the Chemical Sprayer literally ignoring armor and doing its damage straight to health. Thats part of why this was confusing me. I would always call that ignoring armor.

Its just semantics, anyway. The system looks good now that you've explained it.

• Totem Arts Staff

Yeah, I thought about that wording after I posted it, just never went back to change it. And the chem sprayer itself doesn't ignore armour, but the bleed damage for it does.

EDIT: Snipers are.. basically nerfed about as much as I'm willing to nerf them. They're the hard counter to engineers, and now, AT infantry that move slower (so long as they actually .. you know..... snipe.. and not try to be CQC experts)

I like the way it's going-more RTS elements, just like even more specialised units. But still, there is a thing I don't understand: Why are health and armor separated values? Is it here for making it simple for you (devs) to calculate TTK? Or is it here for adding features maybe in near future in another patch? I apologize if I just didn't get it. I think you should consider adding one element from FPS games and it is regenerateable armor (or health) which would make the game a soo much more dynamic (if you play Robocraft you would know how this fature from new patch improved dynamic of gameplay).

Second, I would appreciate if you stop rely on logic whenever it's comes handy :D like "recharge bateries" for energy using characters. But what about grenades? Why do all weapons do not have infinite ammo yet? :/ Anyway, I think this update is going right way. Good job! I can't wait to try it out.

well I think health regeneration is replaced with the refresh button on the perchuase terminal,plus other hotwires can heal you and now there is the repair tool,so Auto inf regeneration would be a bit OP (especially for camping snipers,hidden sbh who wait for their buddies in GDI base or even inf rushes)

well I think health regeneration is replaced with the refresh button on the perchuase terminal,plus other hotwires can heal you and now there is the repair tool,so Auto inf regeneration would be a bit OP (especially for camping snipers,hidden sbh who wait for their buddies in GDI base or even inf rushes)

So mines are even more worthless now! YAY!

They were never good as a total catch-all anyway. Already pretty good as an "alert" if they go down in number, an advance warning system, a not so silent alarm. Now, there are 2 kinds of units. Units that can bypass the mines but are very vulnerable to gunfights, and units that excel in gunfights and die to 1 single mine (2 if you paid good for it).

Yes, you can diffuse them overall faster, but iirc, the total diffuse time for 1 mine went up by it's damage, so basically, each mines is 2.5 mines, and each mines takes 2x longer to diffuse, shaving off .5 of the time that would have been added.

Then there is the fact, that the repair tool, unlike the gun, has only the range to stand in front of the mine and diffuse, while only certain characters have EMP nades which are AntiTank so you need to borrow help to deploy EMP instead of 1 class having all of these.

All of this, coupled with the fact that engineers are no longer solo artists so "losing a few mines" no longer meant a hotwire snuck in and destroyed a building. (it could mean that, but with firepower and speed decrease they should have been caught)

So mines are even more worthless now! YAY!

They were never good as a total catch-all anyway. Already pretty good as an "alert" if they go down in number, an advance warning system, a not so silent alarm. Now, there are 2 kinds of units. Units that can bypass the mines but are very vulnerable to gunfights, and units that excel in gunfights and die to 1 single mine (2 if you paid good for it).

Yes, you can diffuse them overall faster, but iirc, the total diffuse time for 1 mine went up by it's damage, so basically, each mines is 2.5 mines, and each mines takes 2x longer to diffuse, shaving off .5 of the time that would have been added.

Then there is the fact, that the repair tool, unlike the gun, has only the range to stand in front of the mine and diffuse, while only certain characters have EMP nades which are AntiTank so you need to borrow help to deploy EMP instead of 1 class having all of these.

All of this, coupled with the fact that engineers are no longer solo artists so "losing a few mines" no longer meant a hotwire snuck in and destroyed a building. (it could mean that, but with firepower and speed decrease they should have been caught)

I really like the fact that they rebalanced mines to deal more damage, but not as many can be placed. The fact that mines take so long disarm with repair tools, and that they're so easy to place in chokepoints really did screw over some maps in ways of sneaking. grab a 10v10 Under where the infantry tunnel was mined and your chances of sneaking in were made very small. You could never disarm them on time.

So, unless the total health of mines increases, it should give sneakers at least a little bit more time to get in. They're going to need this anyhow because mines no longer explode to units that are behind cover, if this was at all possible. The detonation distance was already quite small, so i honestly don't see much use in this change. They still dealt 50% damage through walls, something vehicles could use quite well in that direction (hint hint yosh ^^)

Thank you for the update, I like it! My first feedback is: you should update the loading picture with the information windows too. Many players gasped in horror when they newly noticed the absence of the weapon menu. I like the modifications on the infantry, I just miss my little frag grenades so much. :)

Shoutout to the total fail the map change was.

You put the "GET BACK TO THE BATTELFIELD OR YOU RANDOMLY DIE" crap in. Really? Reaaaaaaaally? That should not even be programmed into the game, forcing maps to work logically without it.

Invisible barriers are better than that. I thought you added actual physical boundaries. You lied. Sigh.

• Totem Arts Staff
Shoutout to the total fail the map change was.

You put the "GET BACK TO THE BATTELFIELD OR YOU RANDOMLY DIE" crap in. Really? Reaaaaaaaally? That should not even be programmed into the game, forcing maps to work logically without it.

Invisible barriers are better than that. I thought you added actual physical boundaries. You lied. Sigh.

I'm sorry but the changelog says :

**Walls, Whiteout and Lakeside have had most invisible

barriers removed. Soft Boundaries have been instated.

If you took it the wrong way, Soft Boundaries mean just that. You ain't restricted but if you go too far you die. At least that's how I translated it