[MAP] C&C Crash Site

Ruud033

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah you're right, didn't realize that door was seperate.

Maybe you could make a door that opens when a player is close to it, and make a material instance with green lights instead of red to show that it's unlocked. I think you could make a pretty damn cool door opening animation in Kismet.

Oh yeah you're right, didn't realize that door was seperate.

Maybe you could make a door that opens when a player is close to it, and make a material instance with green lights instead of red to show that it's unlocked. I think you could make a pretty damn cool door opening animation in Kismet.

Suprise! :D

I wanna see a video Ruud :)

If I have all the animations done I'll post a video! Im also including sounds and emitters!

Including sounds Huh? I guess we'll see if it becomes another map that crashes randomly.

I like that positive attitude :P

Meanwhile ive been making the door fool-proof because I know you guys will try to break the kismet sequence on this.

q2z0ZjU.png

• Totem Arts Staff

If I have all the animations done I'll post a video! Im also including sounds and emitters!

Including sounds Huh? I guess we'll see if it becomes another map that crashes randomly.

Dude, compress them Wave sounds into Ogg vorbis format

Taken from: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_warship

The exact origins of the ship are unknown. It was either a prototype ship created by the Brotherhood of Nod using alien/Tacitus blueprints or a crashed Scrin ship extensively rebuilt by the Brotherhood but not actually created from scratch.

According to some former Westwood employees, the ship was a Nod design based off Scrin/Tacitus data. It was an attempt to mimic Scrin technology.

Thanks all, and thanks Henk for the wiki quote!

Meanwhile the interior is also coming together,

Me and Gabriel are not sure about the tunnel layout yet, if anyone has idea's please come in! I don't want island-like suggestions, because that is too much of a stalemate! Think more of natural selection 2, that sort of tunneling system where you can always go around somewhere.

2015-10-02.png

2015-10-02.png

I now know why you said this. It turns out that, (knowing this since my experimentation).. If you toggle-play a sound faster than it's own length, the game will crash.

For example, if I have a sound with a length of 1 second and I will keep toggling this every 0,5 second, the game will crash.

If I have a sound of 1 second and toggle it every 1 second.. it's a near-crash, sometimes-crash-ish.

If I have a sound of 1 second and toggle it every 1,5 seconds, all is fine.

I've been creating a lot of prefabs today, all ready to be implemented. Kismet is working 100% and is unbreakable, unless you can move faster than 0,01 second! (H4x!!!)

Prefabs:

1817CM7.png

Will do a 45 degree angle as well, then i'm off implementing these

Yeah i believe he said that about the sound cause i posted in another topic that i believe that stock renx already uses too much soundfiles that fill up too much memory (especially the radio chat played in buildings). If a mapper now adds additional sounds too its living life on the edge. Your findings of toggling a sound before its end to sort of stack it seems to confirm this.

I don't believe we can compress like that. I can only use .wav files for certain sounds. It wouldn't import otherwise. Maybe you can look into this HandE, but I'm sticking with the current .wav setup, since it's working for me. I know that I need to be cautious with the sound.

First preview of the tunnels being built into the map:

lx5YAK8hevA

I know a few things about the sound department :)

The UDK only supports wav files. If you want to reduce memory usage, reduce the sample rate to 22.1 kHz and make it use only one channel (mono). For deep (humming) sounds and speech this change is barely noticable.

If you want to reduce memory usage globally I'd suggest to convert all the building radio chats to the above format. There are not many of them, but compared to other sound files these are quite long, which means more memory usage.

You can also use the built in system to compress the sounds to Vorbis (well known as ogg) but I don't recommend it for various reasons. It's not reliable as it can produce some artifacts and the sound quality is going to degrade. On the default compression level (40) this is clearly noticeable. At 70 the generated files are bigger that the source and between these two settings you can save approximetly 20-25% of file size for slight quality loss. Also this method will result in higher CPU usage because of the decoding.

If sound clarity is not an issue for you, you can go with both solutions, though the wav method is more elegant and produce better results.

The likely cause behind the crashes of quickly repeating sounds is that there's a limit how many sound sources the engine can play simultaneously. The default is 32 which can be set up to a maximum 64. In theory the engine drops all the sound instances which exceeds this limit, but the crashes might prove this wrong.

• Totem Arts Staff

Yes, the kHz is also mentioned in the UDN page. But the speeches are already on Mono btw. Only music was on stereo. God I think it took hundreds of MBs when I try to compress it using UDK's Sound Previewer. The compression takes minutes as opposed to instant as the other sound, which is normal. But the comparison between the compressed and the original memory usage is very profitable towards memory. You can save hundreds of MBs just by compressing each music wave files in with UDK Sound Previewer.

Anyway we're getting off topic here. Should we discuss it on SDK General? Just because this is technical issue that can help the game's performance

By reducing the sample rate from 44 to 22.1 kHz you actually halve the file size and memory usage. That should be okay for weapon sounds, but you can go lower to 18 kHz for dialogue and even down to 11 kHz for distant ambient sounds or room tones. If you want sound clarity like me, these changes require careful audition to filter out and prevent quality loss.

But sure, feel free to move these comments to a new topic.

By reducing the sample rate from 44 to 22.1 kHz you actually halve the file size and memory usage. That should be okay for weapon sounds, but you can go lower to 18 kHz for dialogue and even down to 11 kHz for distant ambient sounds or room tones. If you want sound clarity like me, these changes require careful audition to filter out and prevent quality loss.

Good to know.. I have 1 ambient sound which can use this optimisation. Will implement this, thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, the ship is in!!!!

Big thanks to Action_Hank for modelling this ship!!!

Ff5HPpk.jpg

AY7EVUD.jpg

AIJeklK.jpg

JMZ3O6l.jpg

See also:

N6fyoG7.png

Thanks!

This looks sooo cool (didn't I say this like 50 times allready :D)

:cool:

Today I've updated the prefabs with lights, now everything is into place. I've placed the lights at seperate layers, so we mappers can select all the lights we want to change at once. Groups are preselected in:

- Ceiling lights

- Wall lights

- Doorway lights

- Intersection ceiling lights

As for the doors,

- Moving door lights (green)

- Static door lights (red)

All the materials are swappable, I use MIC's everywhere so we mappers can swap out colours on the fly. If you first change colour on the MIC, you can easily set the RGB to the lights as well by selecting the lights via the 'Find Actors' tool

rmrAgIU.png

pbr14F4.jpg

Unlikely :P

Not to be pessimistic, but with all the assets this will be the heaviest, most ambitious map yet...

Super-Kh":2i1kfu33]is crash site going to be run fast from first run this time ? unlike the previous version ? :3

I try to make the best of it. I have really aggressive culling (not visible) and I use the foliage collision volume! That saves a lot of CPU power!

Furthermore I don't use decals so much as other maps and don't use many lights.. Most of the lights are pre baked.

I'll optimise it all and we'll see what I can do if you guys (who already need to buy a decent PC anyway ;p) can play it better

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I'd post an update.

I've added several nice decal's in the map for you guys to find out! (no screenshots :P )

I've also done lots of optimization, culling everything that's not needed...

If the map still performs badly (will notice soon enough when testing) I'll completely remove air units and even cull some more -or- lower the middle area.

I've added and aligned the GDI tunnels

I'm still awaiting the development of the middle room before map release

I'm still awaiting the implementation of my added code via patch 5.005 (already passed on to yosh56)

At the moment Im also really busy in real life so I don't have that much time working on the map, but then again, at the moment I rely on other people the most.

So meanwhile, while I wait for the continued development of the interior, I'm optimizing the map and looking at line of sight..

One thing i'm facing is the Hand of Nod, it's getting buttraped because of the 'hand' sticking out.

I'm looking for creative ways to overcome this issue, have you guys got some idea;s??

This is one idea of mine:

mSlz9Y6.jpg