FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I heard the release date is soon, I just went ahead and brought UT3 on steam.

Some questions thou. I tried ut3 on my laptop (2Ghz dual core, 3G ram, vista64, R3650 w/512mb dedicated memory, up to 1G shared), with 1024x600, I need to turn down most details to maintain a minimum 20 FPS for the game to be "playable". So I'm wondering if my laptop will have a problem handling Ren X, if I use low-medium level of effects/details with my current hardware. Thanks.

QUOTE (spectre01 @ Sep 2 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I heard the release date is soon, I just went ahead and brought UT3 on steam.

Some questions thou. I tried ut3 on my laptop (2Ghz dual core, 3G ram, vista64, R3650 w/512mb dedicated memory, up to 1G shared), with 1024x600, I need to turn down most details to maintain a minimum 20 FPS for the game to be "playable". So I'm wondering if my laptop will have a problem handling Ren X, if I use low-medium level of effects/details with my current hardware. Thanks.[/b]

well i run the game on a laptop too, (C2D 2.13gh, 4gb ram, Win 7, nvidia 9800mGS 512mb.) an im running at a hihger resolution than you, eveything is @ max and the min i got is 20-22 .. but average is around 40. myself, i turn down the dynamic light and shadow, i and i gained around 8 fps. use google and search UT3 tweak. i know that in option , detail ( 1-5 option) got no really big difference between 3 and 5. try to tweak UT3 with that, cause Renegade-X will need a lil more power than the original UT3

QUOTE (=HT=Duro @ Sep 2 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i run the game on a laptop too, (C2D 2.13gh, 4gb ram, Win 7, nvidia 9800mGS 512mb.) an im running at a hihger resolution than you, eveything is @ max and the min i got is 20-22 .. but average is around 40. myself, i turn down the dynamic light and shadow, i and i gained around 8 fps. use google and search UT3 tweak. i know that in option , detail ( 1-5 option) got no really big difference between 3 and 5. try to tweak UT3 with that, cause Renegade-X will need a lil more power than the original UT3[/b]

Found out that when running ut3 under vista, dx10 mode is automatically turned on. Now I can get average 30~40 fps in d9 mode. I'm happy. :P

• Totem Arts Staff

UT does have some good anti-cheat methods, but of course every kind of protection can be bypassed in some limited way. Though since this mod's community will be more of a "subcommunity" in the sense that it probably won't be as big as a retail game, keeping track of cheaters and getting them out of Renegade X should not be a problem.

What's my policy on cheaters? You cheat once and you're out - I will have you banned from playing Renegade X, from viewing the forums, and I will do everything in my power to get you banned in C&C Renegade servers (depending on my level of influence on those communities :rolleyes: )

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Sep 5 2009, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UT does have some good anti-cheat methods, but of course every kind of protection can be bypassed in some limited way. Though since this mod's community will be more of a "subcommunity" in the sense that it probably won't be as big as a retail game, keeping track of cheaters and getting them out of Renegade X should not be a problem.

What's my policy on cheaters? You cheat once and you're out - I will have you banned from playing Renegade X, from viewing the forums, and I will do everything in my power to get you banned in C&C Renegade servers (depending on my level of influence on those communities :rolleyes: )[/b]

Ehm, I've been banned from several servers for cheating but I never cheated on any game, ever (except in single player). So how do you prevent that from happening? I don't want to be banned forever just because I got a lucky day.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff

Those would be corrupt admins who just think you're playing too well - there are ways though which can prove that one is for sure cheating. For example: if an admin is suspicious, he could go into first person spectator mode and see exactly what the suspected player should be seeing. If he sees the recital aiming in a suspicious manner (like at a wall or something) and killing people, then you know it's a cheater.

By the way, when I'm talking about getting banned, I'm talking about getting banned from the official server, which will be run by Speedy and moderated by the RenX team, so no noob admins on that server :) If one were to get banned from a non-official server without sufficient proof then that is not really our business.

and i can say here, right now, that if someone get caught cheating on official server, they will be banned on alot of server, i'll use my influence and contact on that ... i really hate ppl who cheat to be better than other, if you have no skill , dont play. and i'll regulary ask for the ban list of Renegade-X regular server

the only way i see to counter cheat is .. dev team block everything in Ren-X .. no custom script, no console add, no skin ...

• Totem Arts Staff

Which is what we're doing - no client-side custom content will be usable in Renegade X. The only custom content allowed will be mutators, which are server-side and applied to all players in the server. So cheat model replacements and skin replacements will not be possible.

In my opinion, I don't think that's fair. (To the cheater or to the other players)

If someone is caught cheating, they should be banned from where they were cheating and only where they were caught cheating. No where else.

So if I was found cheating on one server, I shouldn't be banned from every other server unless I cheated there too.

QUOTE (havoc9826 @ Aug 18 2009, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Fobby meant it'll just make the single beep that you get when you click the mouse to plant it, so people nearby (or potential c4 sticking victims) might become aware of it.[/b]

That's kinda silly imo. Whenever you planted a Beacon, there was an announcement saying "Ion Cannon Deployed" or something.

QUOTE (BLaZor @ Sep 6 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's kinda silly imo. Whenever you planted a Beacon, there was an announcement saying "Ion Cannon Deployed" or something.[/b]

In the original RTS game(s) you get messages saying "ion cannon firing" or "nuclear weapon launched " and "nuclear warhead approaching" so... it's pretty much the equivalent to that !

Keep it , beacons are TOO useful to not know about !

QUOTE (havoc9826 @ Aug 17 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Demigan @ Aug 17 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Timed C4 never beeped on my CP untill I got a mod to do it for me. But if you say it will beep, it will beep. :) [/b]
I think Fobby meant it'll just make the single beep that you get when you click the mouse to plant it, so people nearby (or potential c4 sticking victims) might become aware of it.
[/b]

QUOTE (BLaZor @ Sep 6 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's kinda silly imo. Whenever you planted a Beacon, there was an announcement saying "Ion Cannon Deployed" or something.[/b]

I think you misread what I was talking about BLaZor. I was talking about the timed C4, not the beacons.

QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Sep 6 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the original RTS game(s) you get messages saying "ion cannon firing" or "nuclear weapon launched " and "nuclear warhead approaching" so... it's pretty much the equivalent to that !

Keep it , beacons are TOO useful to not know about ![/b]

Actually, Nod got no warning when the Ion Cannon was fired because it could only affect one building. The nuke could kill multiple buildings within a certain radius (I forget if the MCY was able to survive it), so that gave an announcement. You're thinking of EVA saying "Ion Cannon Charging" to the GDI commander when you clicked on the button before it was ready.

No it says Ion Cannon Firing when you well ... fire it too :P

but i think he gets the point (i hope :o )

Edit: can you guys PLEASE get rid of the 'silhouette' style thing on the chars / vehicles ? looks ... cartoonish :\ like... wait for it... something straight out of Retarded Alert 3 >:\

Just keep the squares with the new see through feature you want to add , please?

First of all, stop demanding things. They aren't making this mod to please you. Also, in making this mod, they aren't doing anything to physically harm the original Renegade, so there is no need for the "If you're doing this, you better do it right" attitude.

Second of all, Fobby already answered that question:

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Aug 30 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In terms of characters they are lower in priority as we have a lot of characters that need to be made and so few character artists. If we get to them, yes, there will be an individual character all of the free infantry. If not, then they will remain the basic soldier with 3 different weapons.[/b]

QUOTE (Jeod @ Sep 8 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will there be any changes to the system requirements, or will it be the same as UT3 currently is? (I'd still like to know the requirements; I run a Vista laptop)[/b]

it will be a lil higher than UT3

to know if you can run UT3

http://www.srtest.com and choose UT3

and for An4x1madr0s, the first time i saw that i was like WTH is that .. but after playing 1 hours, you stop seeing it, so cmon ppl, before asking and talking against thing in the mods, wait till sept.30, play it, and after, report what you like and dislike. those guys work really hard to give you a good game. they need more respect

QUOTE (=HT=Duro @ Sep 8 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it will be a lil higher than UT3

to know if you can run UT3

http://www.srtest.com and choose UT3

and for An4x1madr0s, the first time i saw that i was like WTH is that .. but after playing 1 hours, you stop seeing it, so cmon ppl, before asking and talking against thing in the mods, wait till sept.30, play it, and after, report what you like and dislike. those guys work really hard to give you a good game. they need more respect[/b]

System Requirements Lab isn't very trustworthy. It's still a good place to scan your specs though. C&C3 and RA3 run exceptionally well on my laptop when SRL says they don't meet the minimum requirements. I think I'll install UT3 and see how it plays before going to get a new video card.

Another question. On a serverside note, will the PS3 version of RenX link with the PC version?

QUOTE (epicelite @ Sep 14 2009, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the n00bjet still shoot through multiple characters?[/b]

It just won't be close to Renegade if you won't have that LOL people will be like "OWW WTF hacks"

Question:

Are there any estimates as to how much new people will be playing Renegade X other than the community members.

How about a community banner making thing promoting Renegade X or something to spread on some random gaming forms (Maybe UT3 forms too?) to get more players knowin' about it.

QUOTE (thrash300 @ Sep 15 2009, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It just won't be close to Renegade if you won't have that LOL people will be like "OWW WTF hacks"

Question:

Are there any estimates as to how much new people will be playing Renegade X other than the community members.

How about a community banner making thing promoting Renegade X or something to spread on some random gaming forms (Maybe UT3 forms too?) to get more players knowin' about it.[/b]

We have the media platoon for that :) they make sure Renegade X is known on other forums.
As for the first question, i think many peeps will play Renegade X even outside the forum community. Renegade X is popular (look @ Moddb) and many peeps are waiting for it although they're not a member of the forums

• Totem Arts Staff

The problem I think is not getting people to download and play the mod, but rather it is more difficult to keep a constant community of people playing past the 3 week mark. We plan on releasing a patch sometime after the September 30th beta, and a 2nd beta release with more features sometime before the end of the year (though that is not guaranteed as of now). These will hopefully bring players back. However we can use all the help we can get in spreading the word!

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Sep 17 2009, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe so, but I could be wrong. It depends on whether this happens in UT3 or not; and I haven't played enough UT3 to remember.[/b]

Most times you just get pushed out of the way, but if the vehicle is still going pretty fast, you are screwed. In case of Renegade, the ground vehicles won't go fast enough to kill you should they get destroyed and the wreck glide against you, and the aircraft will have to fall straight on top of you and crush you, otherwise you won't be able to die by the wrecks I think.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Yes wrecks can kill you in UT3 and therefore they can in Ren X as well. Of course like Demigan said, it depends on a few things like how it hits you, how fast it is going, how much health you have, etc..

Just this week I was playing some VCTF and killed a Raptor or Fury (can't remember which) that was directly above me and the wreckage squashed me, giving the guy a kill after I killed him. :P (And I tell ya, it was really hectic before I killed him because he was trying to squash me anyways so I had to kill the guy, just too bad I couldn't run from the wreck fast enough.)

You know I always thought it odd how the ion cannon kind of "charged up" before it shot with that build up anim. I know it was mentioned that the anim won't even start till the 30 sec. mark so liek?

Is the ion cannon gonna hit instantly then have a dissipation anim?

When the nuke is disarmed will the missile fall to the ground but not go off like it was a dud?

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Sep 20 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know they said that the nuke wont fall until the countdown reaches 0. So, if you manage to disarm the beacon 1 second before it hits, you wont see the missile at all.[/b]

Yes but if it falls AFTER the timer reaches 0 then that will just be weird and that extra second it takes to hit the ground can be the difference between a win and a lose.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Sep 21 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes but if it falls AFTER the timer reaches 0 then that will just be weird and that extra second it takes to hit the ground can be the difference between a win and a lose.[/b]

after the timer hits zero the beacon simply can't be disarmed anymore. That was the whole point: if the animation starts after zero, then you won't have missles dissapearing 10 metres above the ground.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Sep 21 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
after the timer hits zero the beacon simply can't be disarmed anymore. That was the whole point: if the animation starts after zero, then you won't have missles dissapearing 10 metres above the ground.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

NO NO NO THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY!

I mean that in that extra couple seconds it will take AFTER the beacon timer has expired and before the nuke/ion hits can actually make a real difference.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Sep 21 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO NO NO THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY!

I mean that in that extra couple seconds it will take AFTER the beacon timer has expired and before the nuke/ion hits can actually make a real difference.[/b]

In what way?

The building is being destroyed and nothing can be done to prevent it. It's only an animation.

• Totem Arts Staff

I mentioned before that a nuke's damage radius against infantry and vehicles will be bigger than it was in Renegade. Not by an electrifying amount, but enough to kill infantry that are at least a few more feet away from the blast. So if you're sitting there repairing, and the time is up, you will probably die or at least get damaged.