FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

• Totem Arts Staff

i agree too, the vehicle colour should no change when it is stolen it just wouldn't happen in real life, pluss if you look at the stolen vehicle it would have the red out line showing it was a stolen vehicle so what is the point in making extra work where it just would not have a practical use.

oh look that mammith tank is red and has a nod symbol WTF ohh wait its dead coz evey 1 seen it .... its like haveing a big neon sign saying "look at me im a n00b"

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree too, the vehicle colour should no change when it is stolen it just wouldn't happen in real life, pluss if you look at the stolen vehicle it would have the red out line showing it was a stolen vehicle so what is the point in making extra work where it just would not have a practical use.

oh look that mammith tank is red and has a nod symbol WTF ohh wait its dead coz evey 1 seen it .... its like haveing a big neon sign saying "look at me im a n00b"

Aw man... Looks like I'm outnumbered on this one. I think it would be awesome (and more intimidating) to see a red Mammoth Tank coming after you. But oh well...

Anyway:

1.) There are A LOT of things in Renegade that wouldn't happen in real life. So many things it's not even worth the time spent listing them.

2.) Any experienced player that knows what they're doing in Renegade will mouse over every vehicle they see. (It's slightly annoying to do this but it only takes a few seconds and it's required.) I ALWAYS mouse over every vehicle. Getting caught off guard by a vehicle's color is a noob mistake and that's the only kind of person you're going to outsmart with that trick. Not to mention you should be able to kill off noobs pretty easily if you're experienced so that trick doesn't really have much value against the people that you SHOULD be worried about. The PRACTICAL use would be quick identification without having to mouse over everybody, however the MAIN reason would be the aesthetic value. Which brings me to my next point:

3.) The aesthetic effect of making the vehicles looks dirty once they've been used has no practical value at all, but it looks cool so it's a worthy effect to put in the game. The 'vehicle damage' effect actually does have practical value because it allows engineers quick identification of a vehicles heath without having to mouse over it. If an engineer is responsible for repairing an entire group of vehicles, he can quickly identify who is heavily damaged without having to mouse over everybody. Again, it's only a minor hindrance to do so, but the quick visual identifier helps out a bit. Making the vehicles change color would have both practical and aesthetic value.

4.) "oh look that mammith tank is red and has a nod symbol WTF ohh wait its dead coz evey 1 seen it".

^ The fact that you instantly realize that the Mammoth Tank is on the opposite team does not make the Tank any less dangerous. People aren't able to destroy Mammoth Tanks easily just because they know the tank is their enemy. Mammoth Tanks are deadly whether you know they're your friend or not. And the only way I would be slightly more fooled by a stolen enemy Mammoth is if the enemy driver was driving backwards towards my base and firing at their own team mates in order to fool me. (I've never seen anyone do that)

5.) I've always been a pretty hardcore C&C RTS fan, and even though I loved Renegade and thought it was an awesome game, I feel that the developers got a few things wrong when they created it. I feel that the game would have been better if they had stuck to the RTS more. For instance, when you would capture an enemy building in Tiberian Dawn, the building would change over to your color and allow you to produce enemy technology in your color. Nothing was more frustrating than seeing your own vehicles and technology coming to attack you. Having a fleet of grey Mammoth Tanks or gold Stealth Tanks was an AWESOME feeling. Not only that but in Renegade they took away Havoc's red "rambo" headband and changed up his voice. His Renegade voice sounds kinda gay compared to the original, which is why I freakin' LOVE the fact that you can say things in his old voice in the MP. The original warbled invisibility "predator-like" effect that the Stealth Tanks in the RTS had was MUCH cooler than the flowing electricity effect that they used in Renegade. I accepted that change because I felt that the Renegade engine probably just couldn't create a good looking warbled invis effect...so they did what they could with the tools they had...but I was disappointed to see that Renegade X reproduced that error even though the technology is good enough to change it now. I realize that Renegade X is a COMPLETE recreation and homage to the original Renegade and I can see all the love that was put in to the project despite the fact that there's no monetary gain whatsoever. It's impressive. This team has done an incredible job. But I feel a bit disappointed that certain errors that the original developers made are being reproduced as well. AND not everything has been ported over from the old Renegade either (Such as Sydney's powersuit). So it makes me wonder how come certain things are kept just the way they are (despite their faults) and other things are changed. Regardless, It's not really a major issue because most of the changes I've seen have been great, such as the MRLS turret's ability to rotate now...and the new missile lock-on ability. Anyway, I'm getting a bit off topic here.

6.) I took this picture from an article that was written about Renegade 2, before it was cancelled. I'm not sure if this is an official pic from the game, or if it was just a cool random pic that the writer found somewhere and decided to use it for his article, but IF it really was from Renegade 2 than that proves that the developers had plans to make vehicles in the opposing team's color:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBKoAONkalJW4orqekaNHySM2vN8_io6aiaWOqH9ra08wFED5e

My main reason for wanting the vehicles to change color when hijacked and owned by the opposing team is because I've always felt that Renegade would be much cooler if it was more accurate to the original RTS. That is all.

I apologize for this post being so long winded. I'll shut up now.

On a separate note, I found this pic while I was looking for that other one. I didn't know Westwood ever produced a toy line. It's pretty awesome:

DSC_0021-2.jpg?t=1268451219

• Former Developers

No, vehicles will not change colours. We dont want to punish people who steal vehicles, we want to reward them. What better way then to have em sucker punch enemies without them knowing?

Part of stealing vehicles is fooling the enemy to thinking you're friendly and thats always been an very useful tactic in ren. The pic you're posting is not from Ren2, it is the Soviet Apocalypse tank from Red Alert 2. One thing about C&C Renegade is that its more of an FPS then an RTS because if it was more towards the RTS then it would not be as much fun.

Yeah, I understand the reasoning you guys are getting at, and I enjoy tricking people too (on the few occasions when it worked). I just have to disagree. I feel that having the enemy's technology in support of your own is reward enough but I realize it's only a minor issue and the game is still just as awesome regardless. :)

Hey Raker, I do have to mention that #2 would mean that 90+% of the players is both noob and unexperienced. As a rule, I never shoot at enemies when I steal a vehicle until I'm safe behind friendly lines, or until I'm discovered by something threatening. And it works like a charm most times. People who have a different target in sight usually concentrate on that. If you are the only target, then people do check if you are a danger or not.

#4, the 'oh the mammoths dead everybody seen it' does apply. You steal a vehicle because someone is repairing it, and deems it safe enough to repair. So you steal a damaged vehicle, probably with lots of enemy backup around. If there's 2 meds and an APC around, they are fully capable of destroying the mammoth and still keeping their camp-position (mostly because there isn't a big enough force that can move up the field right away).

Keeping people unawares of the fact that you stole it, simply by staying behind your enemy works better. Several times I've stolen a (mammoth)tank, killed the engi's, then stayed behind all the GDI tanks and started killing them. They think that you are a teammate that isn't paying attention until it's too late if you manage to seem like you are one of them, even if they do turn around and look at you for a second.

Also, there are lots of times you are actually at the edge of vision, just glimpsed for a second. Like in under when you move up the hill and the enemy is just past the tib field. If they see a red Med going up, they will surely trap it and kill it. If it's still the original colour I can usually go up and they won't notice I'm a bad guy (although it should be apparent by where my barrel is going, but most people don't check that kind of thing).

Although I would love to see a red striped mammoth tank, it would give too much trouble. However, when a vehicle has been stolen it usually becomes known rather quickly, so having an option to repaint it at the airstrip/warfactory would be rather pleasing, as you can choose to go fearsome in your own colours or keep trying to blend in for a few seconds longer on the field.

#5, I think the stealth effect they had and will have in Renegade was good, it was visible when you got close and you were sure it was there, changing it would only make the gameplay different. As for the sydney suit, they have a perfect explanation for it. In renegade it was simply changing the outward look of the character. For Renegade-x they need to make a completely new character for each new outlook. If it was simply a change of palette it would be easier I think.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

Not only that but in Renegade they took away Havoc's red "rambo" headband and changed up his voice. His Renegade voice sounds kinda gay compared to the original, which is why I freakin' LOVE the fact that you can say things in his old voice in the MP.

Well, that voice was actually used for the Nod Commando in TD too. I do agree that that commando was badass for both Nod and GDI.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I bought Ut3 for the sole purpose of trying out RenX (diehard fan of c&c renegade).

I have a little problem, that is, there's not a single other person on earth playing this!

Could someone tell me the current status of the project? Are you gonna release something big

in the near future? Are there special times to play? I thought RenX was played by at least

a small, yet refined community. It looks 100% dead like this, mhm.

So, how can I play this at all? There are no bots yet eh?

All u can do yet is jerking around in offline mode. I guess u'll have to wait for the standalone like we all do...BUT I promise, it's worth waiting!!! This mod is just fucking awesome!

I just find it weird nobody is playing this, i mean, it looks playable to me =)

It IS playable and believe me, it's great fun! But there's almost no playerbase, cuz every1 prefers to wait for the standalone - and that's why they took off the servers...

• 2 months later...
Is black dawn only singleplayer or has it multiplayer in it . or is BD singleplayer-only and will the multiplayer stanalone released after BD?

Black dawn will be a stepping stone to the core multiplayer game. Everything they create in Black Dawn, will be used in the multiplayer. Black dawn itself is going to be solely a singleplayer game both to test and to show off what they created in the UDK.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this FAQ still being used?

I noticed several answers that are inaccurate.

My actual question though was regarding the stand-alone.

I had read that the stand-alone would be multi-player-only.

Is this accurate, or is single-player being incorporated into the stand-alone?

I read Demigan's response, but I'm still not entirely clear on it.

• 2 weeks later...

The stand-alone Black Dawn will be single-player only. A multiplayer will then be build out of all the components from Black Dawn, and several more components that are to be made later.

I don't know if the FAQ is still being used, it might be updated soon, it might not be in use at all.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to play this afternoon, and I have three questions from that:

First, why do engineers spawn with C4 as their weapon? That's not how it was in Renegade, and the only time that would be beneficial is if you had an enemy right beside you when you spawn.

Second, why is prox C4 the first C4 selected when you press 9? The same arguments from above pretty much apply here. You will 99.999% of the time need remote C4 more than either of the others when you spawn, and why change it when everyone's used to the old Remote > Timed > Prox order? After playing Renegade for years upon years as most of us have, trying to change old habits is extremely difficult and annoying.

Third, it seemed to me that the AGT doesn't really have a minimum range like it did in C&C Renegade. Is this true or did I just happen to be in the wrong spots at the wrong times when playing?

Anyway, y'all have done a fantastic job with this. The entire game looks very good; especially the vehicle models, I can't get enough of them. After playing UT3 for a bit, I was worried the game might not feel like Renegade when modded, but obviously any worries about that were needless. Cheers!

Third, it seemed to me that the AGT doesn't really have a minimum range like it did in C&C Renegade. Is this true or did I just happen to be in the wrong spots at the wrong times when playing?

i think the advanced guard tower always had infinite range you just have to be seen by one of the little guns to be shot at therefore you couldn't be shot at when in blind spots. However the advanced guard tower will not shot you if you get too close. These rules apply with the obelisk as well.

my idea, is to make 1 map which would suit the assault mode style, just for fun (or maybe more?) xD

to prevent any spoilers, if those are here actually, i won't say too much of it... ^^

i would like to turn the C&C renegade map where you had to assist the dead-6 (of the mission where you had to defend the church and let them escape in a helicopter) into a more suitable MP map if possible.

but why would you disrecommend me to import any building from C&C renegade, then? copyright protection?

• Totem Arts Staff

well yes Copy rights and the fact that the modle would not be "up to par" with what UT3 can offer it would be better to make a new mode with in UT3 (using geometry or building the structure using meshes) or with in a 3D application such as max or you could you Google Sketch Up but you would need to export as a .ASE in order to import in to UT3 and the only way i have found to do that is exporting to 3d max and then exporting from max as a .ASE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played renegade when i was around 11 years? and i remember some parts in renegade campaign i saw kane or heard him talking with officers will we hear him or see him in the mini campaign of renegade X? :D (Excuse bad english)

Ah ok, I see. Also, you guys have mentioned that you're going to be releasing an editor along with the multiplayer portion. Will this just be a level editor, or will we be able to modify vehicles, weapons and characters as well? It would be pretty sweet if people were able to create skins and mods for Renegade X. Such as a Red Alert mod for example.

I've played around with the UT3 editor before, is it basically just a clone of that?

• Totem Arts Staff

Yeah the Renegade X multiplayer editor will be similar to the UT3 mod editor, except with the UDK and not the UT3 SDK. So you'll be able to modify whatever you want and create your own maps, but all custom content would need to be ran on a custom server. So you can't join a Renegade X server with a skin, unless that server offers that same skin as a server-side mutator for all players.

• 10 months later...

hey guys :)

i was wondering if it is ok if i could create a couple of threads and stuff like that and gather some information regarding the forums?

i wanna gather some statistics about what impact the release of the standalone multiplayer version will have on the forums when it's released, and then post the gathered information as a seperate thread.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...