FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

I'm buying UT3 specially for this mod. Question may seem stupid, if I buy UT3 from amazon will it work normally online (i.e. have it's unique serial)?

And what system requirements does the mod require, are they the same as UT3 considering it's same engine?

My Specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.8Ghz

- Nvidia 8600GT (512mb)

- 4 GB RAM

- Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

I know it probably is sufficient, but I don't want to experience any FPS drop while playing due to PC capability. So advise if I need any specific upgrades for my rig.

Thx alot for all your work so far, all looks breathtakingly amazing!! Keep it up!! :)

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you'll overpower the game with those specs :P the specs are basically the same as for UT 3 :)

as for buying it on amazon, i'm not sure if the key will still be unique. As far as i know, and that was with UT 2004, peeps can use the same key as long as they don't play online at the same time... dunno for UT 3 though

I'm buying UT3 specially for this mod. Question may seem stupid, if I buy UT3 from amazon will it work normally online (i.e. have it's unique serial)?

And what system requirements does the mod require, are they the same as UT3 considering it's same engine?

My Specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.8Ghz

- Nvidia 8600GT (512mb)

- 4 GB RAM

- Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

I know it probably is sufficient, but I don't want to experience any FPS drop while playing due to PC capability. So advise if I need any specific upgrades for my rig.

Thx alot for all your work so far, all looks breathtakingly amazing!! Keep it up!! :)

Yes if you bought UT3 from Amazon it'll have its own unique key.

I have near similiar specs and i run at about 50-60 fps, but i keep my settings up near the edge, so if you just dropped a few settings you'll be fine

Thank you DrummerX :D

@ Jointn00b, well it's supposed to be new, I don't know. Here's the link, take a look:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unreal-Tournament-3-PC-DVD/dp/B002GYVW00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278031275&sr=8-1

Sorry guys but it's my first time to buy anything on Amazon, so not exactly sure!!

Thx alot guys and appreciate all the replies. :)

• 1 month later...

About the game. Will you reuse black dawn for multiplayer builds? It doesn't make sense to work on that for weeks, then throw it out. There is a proposed map for a path beyond in which one lucky player becomes tanya. the rest must protect tanya in her quest or kill her.

The system usable for renegade X could be 6 lucky players become the dead-6 (or they are bots if there are less then six players) and one becomes the medic. You ca opt out of being one of these by typing !optout (Charecter). The other team protects mobuis from rescue supported by bots. GDI is also supported by bots. IF GDI does not rescue mobius from Nod within a said time, Nod wins. If they do rescue him, GDI wins.

• 3 weeks later...
Q: Will you need UT3 to play this mod or is it a stand alone?

A: You will need a valid copy of Unreal Tournament 3 with the most up-to-date patch in order to play Renegade X. (At the moment that is patch 2.)(The Steam version [black Edition] is already fully patched. You don't need to install a patch for that.) For legal reasons there is no way we could do a stand-alone, so don't even bother asking.

I had heard that this was being ported to a standalone game, but in the FAQ's here it says that it is not possible due to legal reasons.

So did you guys hit a snag where you are unable to do it now? Or is this FAQ just outdated information?

• Totem Arts Staff

its because if thay used the Unreal Engine 3 thay would have to pay and as the UDK is Free to use there are no legal blocks exept the aproval of EA game that the Dev team have got (nice, its not offen EA are so nice lol)

i think it was because of the engine, im not 100% on that but it would be the main reason that the stand-alone can be made

Hey Im back again. In my last post I asked if i should wait for the stand alone version of Renagade X or if i should go buy Unreal tournament 3 to be able to play Renegade X. I was advised I should just buy Unreal 3 and that it also it has some really cool mods these days. Im not really a big fan of Unreal 3 as I have the game but cant play online cos its my mates serial key that he canceled ages ago. But I LOVE C&C Renegade so I bought Unreal 3 just to be able to play Renegade X C&C. I guess I may play a tiny bit of Unreal 3 online now that i have bought it. I played Renegade C&C on Gamespy afew years ago with some of the guys on here now and it seriously rocks! I downloaded the Renagde x Mod and played it (only on single player) and its AWESOME!!!

Okay so i just got home and Installed fresh copy of fully licenced Unreal tournament 3. Had a small battle online :) then now I just ran my Renegade X Mod and no servers can be found :( do i need to type in a IP address somewhere perhaps? .. or are there problems with the servers? ... please help

UPDATE: I have it working now. I was trying to connect through the server -list programme. I just downloaded IP tools and put the IP in and its working

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

^ He's right.

Disallowing model replacements is a modest move. The current system forces all clients to play with the same version of Renegade X, with no advantage skins, cheats, model-replacements, etc. As soon as you open the door to that stuff, you open a pandora's box of advantage material.

You're more than welcome to make your own models, maps, skins, etc. for Renegade X and either run them on a server or convince the MP server that they are a great idea to use. But I think it's only fair if all players are using an identical version of the mod.

In other words, we encourage mutators and fan maps, but they must be server-side and not client-side.

The only thing I don't like about that server files = client files system is that the server dictates what the client gets to do.

But then again, it was in the original Renegade in some form as well, so it's not really a big problem.

I just don't like it when the server I'm playing on decides to add in all this extra crap that changes how the game is played. And then I am forced to play that way.

It's not as easy to simply change servers here because there is only one or two servers available with people.

The only thing I don't like about that server files = client files system is that the server dictates what the client gets to do.

But then again, it was in the original Renegade in some form as well, so it's not really a big problem.

I just don't like it when the server I'm playing on decides to add in all this extra crap that changes how the game is played. And then I am forced to play that way.

It's not as easy to simply change servers here because there is only one or two servers available with people.

You can create a mutator wich allows a huge customization, so you won't get that "server dictates what todo".

It is also not really the whole truth, you can use your own models/packages/whatever as long as you know how to replace them without making "trouble" (in terms of server thinks its the right thing), the point is it will be just for your client and not affecting other players (and server) at all.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm talking about servers that make you download tons and tons of stuff just so you can play.

Things like music and mutators that the game doesn't need.

I don't want that stuff on my computer. If I did, I would have went out and downloaded it myself. At the moment, I can't even join the MPgaming server because it's forcing me to download some music files. It's a pretty hefty file and it's going to take me a long time to download. Not only that, but I get no progress meter telling me how much I have left to go... so I have to sit there on the main menu for who knows how long just so I can join the server and play.

I can understand map updates and advantage prevention... but we don't need a bunch of useless garbage that isn't necessary to the game preventing people from playing on a server.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm talking about servers that make you download tons and tons of stuff just so you can play.

I don't want that stuff on my computer. If I did, I would have went out and downloaded it myself. At the moment, I can't even join the MPgaming server because it's forcing me to download some music files. It's a pretty hefty file and it's going to take me a long time to download. Not only that, but I get no progress meter telling me how much I have left to go... so I have to sit there on the main menu for who knows how long just so I can join the server and play.

I can understand map updates and advantage prevention... but we don't need a bunch of useless garbage that isn't necessary to the game preventing people from playing on a server.

This for, you have to blame the server owners!

In times of where you can get a 100 MBit/s connection for 50€/month and 500GB hard drive for 32€, I dont think its a problem to download "stuff"... even if you scale that things down.

Also to be honest, there are no much alternatives to UDK atm., wich would even come close to the advantages UDK has.

I don't remember having to download anything when I joined the server

• 1 month later...

Hey, new poster, used to play Renegade quite a bit, loved the trailers for Renegade-x and messed around offline and it looks great. I was wondering if you were considering a LAN option, not because I could play with my bros sitting next to me but because people could possibly use a VPN client like Hamachi instead of a server. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This for, you have to blame the server owners!

In times of where you can get a 100 MBit/s connection for 50€/month and 500GB hard drive for 32€, I dont think its a problem to download "stuff"... even if you scale that things down.

Also to be honest, there are no much alternatives to UDK atm., wich would even come close to the advantages UDK has.

Ehm, I'm a student, I live in a student house, and it's not that easy to pay 50 euro's extra a month and keep a low loan with the government

I currently have to share a 100 M/bit with several people (or so my connection tells me), and I don't really have a real choice in the matter. Even if I had, it would cost too much to have one completely for myself. As for western people, it's usually easy to get 500 MB harddrives, in other country's it's harder, as they are behind on technology (it takes a while before it's distributed there) and the overall income is lower, so they might have a problem with the space it takes up to download extra things from several servers.

as for Beavis, they won't have extra characters so radically different. As they have to construct a completely new character each time, which takes a lot of time and effort.

On to my own question:

Will you have manned gun-emplacements in the game? I think I saw one in one of the movies. If you do have them, which gameplay modes will they be in?

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• 1 month later...
Fobby[GEN]]We still need to do balance testing, but right now they work like Officer guns. Effective against infantry and lighter vehicles, but not very effective against heavy vehicles.

I would love it if the orca and apache got nerfed. I hate playing flying maps because those vehicles have everything except armor (snipers own them if they got distance) but they're so fast they always just run and then take two seconds to repair and come back. I always thought it would be good if the repair gun didn't work to well on them so even though they had low armor they would take a while to repair. I also think it would be good if they could only take ~two tank shells to destroy since they're so hard to hit unless the pilot is slacking. Just some suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an issue I had with the original Renegade as well...but why are NOD's vehicles colored red? In the original C&C, Nod's vehicles were gray or urban camo or whatever. The C-130 model you guys made looks great with the urban camo and patches of red. Why not do the same thing with ALL of NOD's vehicles?

I don't know if this has been addressed before. I haven't seen the animation of the harvesters pulling into the refinery in Renegade X, but I was wondering if the refinery actually pulls the tiberium tank off of the vehicle now, or if it's the same animation as in the original renegade? It would be so awesome if it pulled it off.

I'll state it now, i'm not a huge C&C fan, omg i know right, but it would make sense as they grew that they wanted to become more distinct and so choose a general scheme. GDI couldn't use the same excuse because they're a government ran organization.

As for the harvester animations, it would just add extra fps load because then you would need to model the internal structures of the harvester creating more surfaces you will need to load as you viewed the harvester. As i can agree that they can use better pathing, the whole animation of them backing up into the harvester and doing an animation to off load their load would just add to much graphic load.

This is a personal opinion and doesn't reflect the intentions of RenX.

• Totem Arts Staff

The Nod vehicles are colored red to keep them looking like the Renegade vehicles. We didn't change up vehicles and buildings much, but basic infantry, engineers, and officers have the traditional gray camo. Although Renegade was mainly based on Tiberian Dawn, this isn't a Tiberian Dawn mod per say. The two can be considered different parts of the canon, because TD took place in 1995 (C&C-time) and Renegade took place in 2002 (C&C-time). So things aren't to look exactly like they were in TD, as it seems Nod was getting more "red" in time (see Tiberian Sun and C&C3).

As for APCs, Nod didn't have APCs in TD singleplayer, but in its expansion pack "Covert Operations" they did have an APC. The Recon Bike will be making an appearance in the future, but again, a Nod APC does make sense since they had one in Covert Ops and Renegade.

As for Harvester animation, actually Drummer it wouldn't really make a difference in performance. Any difference it would make would be miniscule and would never be noticeable, since it would be a simple animation with no performance-dragging effects. We do plan on making an animation in the future, but the current version doesn't have one (it is more of a polish issue).

Finally got to play Renegade X online with a bunch of people yesterday. The game's a blast. A couple of things I noticed though:

-Matches seem to go by way too quickly on the smaller levels. I don't know if it's because people are receiving resources too fast or if the bases just weren't being defended well enough. I don't know, maybe I just enjoy the larger maps more. I hope to see a lot more huge maps like Scorpion Hunter in the future.

-The players look really strange when they're running and turning at the same time. They tilt sideways and it looks really awkward. Are the player models going to be made to remain upright in the future?

-Ion Cannon still shoots sideways when the beacon is sideways. Lol. I realize this is a glitch but it still looks pretty awesome coming from the side. Like the satellite isn't centered right above the battlefield. I'm excited to see the new Ion Cannon animation you guys were talking about. :)

-Is the War Factory garage door ever going to return? I think I can probably guess why you took it away, but you could just make an invisible wall that people can't pass through. Only the created vehicle could pass through it.

-I think the tiberium fields should have A LOT more crystals in them IMO. In the old C&C videos and in the game itself, the tiberium fields were chock full of crystals.

-Are the harvesters going to have an animation for gathering crystals in the future? They just kind of sit in the field doing nothing right now.

-I really wish the Obelisk would destroy an APC in one hit. With the obelisk's slow firing speed, it really needs to do more damage. APC's are cheap and fast and they roll right by Nod's defenses like they're nothing. Where as the GDI ADV guard tower destroys everything that comes at it. It takes teamwork to take it down.

Other than that, the combat feels pretty solid and it's a really fun game. :)

• Former Developers

-Matches seem to go by way too quickly on the smaller levels. I don't know if it's because people are receiving resources too fast or if the bases just weren't being defended well enough. I don't know, maybe I just enjoy the larger maps more. I hope to see a lot more huge maps like Scorpion Hunter in the future.

Renegade game play is usually most action packed on small to medium sized maps, and most of our maps in the stand alone MP will be of that size. Usually any large maps that are the scale of scorpion hunter tend to be very slow as it takes a very long time to get to the other base, and tends to ruin the fast paced action packed experiance. Ofcourse this is also in relation to the the number of players present in the server. We will probably still have some large maps, but that remains to be seen.

-The players look really strange when they're running and turning at the same time. They tilt sideways and it looks really awkward. Are the player models going to be made to remain upright in the future?

Yes, this is because we are using the standard UT3 character animations which are for big hulking guys with giant arms. We've already created our own animations and animation system for the stand alone version, so that problem is fixed.

-Ion Cannon still shoots sideways when the beacon is sideways. Lol. I realize this is a glitch but it still looks pretty awesome coming from the side. Like the satellite isn't centered right above the battlefield. I'm excited to see the new Ion Cannon animation you guys were talking about. :)

The reason it comes down at an angle is because of the surface it lands on which rotates the deployed beacon to orient to the surface. We will be fixing this issue in the stand alone version, and a new animation is already in the works.

-Is the War Factory garage door ever going to return? I think I can probably guess why you took it away, but you could just make an invisible wall that people can't pass through. Only the created vehicle could pass through it.

We didnt remove it intentionally, it just never got finished, it will be added back in.

-I think the tiberium fields should have A LOT more crystals in them IMO. In the old C&C videos and in the game itself, the tiberium fields were chock full of crystals.

way ahead of you: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3972/rxbdss20.jpg

-Are the harvesters going to have an animation for gathering crystals in the future? They just kind of sit in the field doing nothing right now.

Yes they will, we didnt have time to get the animations setup cuz its not very important. The harvesters will have animations in the stand alone version.

-I really wish the Obelisk would destroy an APC in one hit. With the obelisk's slow firing speed, it really needs to do more damage. APC's are cheap and fast and they roll right by Nod's defenses like they're nothing. Where as the GDI ADV guard tower destroys everything that comes at it. It takes teamwork to take it down.

I would disagree. The GDI AGT takes much longer to destroy an APC vs the Nod Obelisk which only requires 2 hits. AGT is better at taking down infantry, where as obby is better at taking down armour.

Is battle damage going to go away as an engineer repairs a tank? Or will it remain?

Yep, Engineers can repair nearly destroyed vehicles and watch them rebuff all the dents, scratches and molds back into place. Kinda cool to look at :)

Also, are the SAM sites going to come out of the ground now?

Dont really know as of yet. Havnt really decided if we're going to add them or not.

Badass. Thanks! I see what you're saying about the obelisk, I was thinking APC's could take 3 hits. I was playing 1 on 1 yesterday and getting really frustrated because the dude kept breaching my defenses with APC's with no effort at all, but I guess this problem is remedied when you have more people playing.

It sounds like the final product is going to be amazing. :)

Someone complained about the orca's and apache's, they are rather annoying and in capable hands they are overpowered. Making the machine gun less effective vs vehicles, and the rockets even more effective will give them a more realistic appearance of the real world and that of the C&C universe itself.

alternatively, adding specialised AA equipment other then snipers, like a mobile SAM, would also remedy the situation. Should aircraft become the norm in certain games, the team can always resort to mobile SAM's to ward them off. SAM's would ofcourse be terrible vs other tanks so a good balance in vehicles would be preferable, which will help teamplay.

You could use something like the mobile SAM from the original Renegade. Or perhaps change the MRLS to fire a different, faster type of rocket that locks onto aircraft, with high damage vs light armour and extra low damage vs medium and heavy armour. And Nod could utilize the buggy as AA and light assault unit.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

For aircraft defense in the original Tiberium Dawn, GDI had the Mammoth Tank and MRLS. Nod had the Recon Bike and Stealth Tank. The DEV's said all the missiles are going to have a lockon ability now, so this should make the aircraft less powerful.

• Totem Arts Staff

There's a lot of new things planned for aircraft and anti-air in the upcoming UDK release. The Orca and Apache will be different from each other, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, as well as special abilities. That being said, now MRLS, Rocket Officers, Mammoth Tanks, and in some scenarios the Stanks, will be an effective anti-air tool in Renegade X UDK, ones that were not so effective in Renegade.

Fobby[GEN]]There's a lot of new things planned for aircraft and anti-air in the upcoming UDK release. The Orca and Apache will be different from each other, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, as well as special abilities. That being said, now MRLS, Rocket Officers, Mammoth Tanks, and in some scenarios the Stanks, will be an effective anti-air tool in Renegade X UDK, ones that were not so effective in Renegade.

I'll shut up about aircraft then :)

So any word on whether vehicles will ever change color when stolen? Cuz that would be really awesome...Not to mention the fact that it would help out with quick identification of friend or foe.

i'd hate it if that would happen

still remember the very fun times I had with SBH @ field when mammy's and meds kept camping the Nod base. U know how much fun u can have because peeps are slacking off cuz of camping? :P the best thing about stealing a vehicle is the fact that enemies think ur a friendly. That is untill u kill someone lol