FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

QUOTE (epicelite @ Sep 21 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO NO NO THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY!

I mean that in that extra couple seconds it will take AFTER the beacon timer has expired and before the nuke/ion hits can actually make a real difference.[/b]

ooooh, sorry, I already asked that several times.

But I hope that the bigger blast radius vs vehicles and infantry is so big that anyone who would die on 0 in renegade right now, will surely die in Renegade-x if they start running on zero.

Edit: it doesn't have to kill EVERYONE who is in the current 'death zone' on zero as there will also be kills of people accidently being in the blast radius, especially if that radius is larger.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuke should be instant win guys :P but take like twice the time to hit to be more *realistic and balanced* but they are keeping the R Gameplay so that's a no go

hmmm are you guys gonna make the Orca & Apache have different locomotors? (the way they move for those who don't know what i mean)

Since one i a VTOL and the other a Helicopter ... but that's your call not mine :)

Sorry if this has already been asked; I searched but couldn't find anything. On the latest gameplay footage, I noticed that a red or green outline appears on targeted units (depending on if they are friendly or enemy). However, this feature is not present in earlier footage. Will there be a toggle option available for this feature? I can see the practical purposes, though I think myself and others may prefer to play without it.

The guy who was asking about the nuke/ion meant this:

After the beacon timer reaches zero, it will take a few seconds for the weapon to actually kill the building. So what if the GAME TIMER hits zero at the same time the BEACON TIMER hits zero? The game will be over before the building is actually destroyed, thus ruining the potential opportunity for a win by points.

The only thing players need to do to compensate for the slight difference of our system is to plant their beacon 5-10 seconds earlier. So instead of waiting until the T-minus-40-second mark (before the game timer ends) to plant [taking into account the time it takes for the chargeup bar to fill], they'd just need to plant at the 50-second mark.

QUOTE (thrash300 @ Sep 27 2009, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the viceroids going to be remade?. I mean the good one, the one that looks like a pile of shit walking around with a chemsprayer. Its a great character.[/b]

Trash, please sit down for one moment, I have to tell you some bad news. They are going to remake renegade, not the blackcell servers. I'm sure that there will be enough servers with mutators to satisfy your needs though.

I play everything at maximum graphics.

Crysis was better than Crysis Warhead. Warhead seemed to add a lot of bugs into the game. One of my favorites is the one were projectile effects go through cover, causing you to be pushed out of cover and get mud splashed on your screen but without any damage. Then, after you're out of cover, you get killed by other dudes.

Other bugs include

-repetitive spazing of objects

-meshes failing to load

-campaign scripting errors

-physics engine failures (I've died tripping over a wheelbarrow)

The list goes on.

QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Sep 24 2009, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nuke should be instant win guys :P but take like twice the time to hit to be more *realistic and balanced* but they are keeping the R Gameplay so that's a no go

hmmm are you guys gonna make the Orca & Apache have different locomotors? (the way they move for those who don't know what i mean)

Since one i a VTOL and the other a Helicopter ... but that's your call not mine :) [/b]

Hmmm, I'd quite like to know this too. It was same locomotors in the original Renegade right?

Now that the mod is released I have a few questions which more people are probably wondering:

1. Is the movement of infantry and vehicles already as you want it or is there still a lot of tweaking to be done to get it as close to the original as possible? Especially for vehicles I sometimes feel like the difference in speed, momentum and turn rate very negatively affect the lethality of a vehicle. (on Field for example, it's hard to do an effective flame rush because there is a slope at the entrance to the GDI base. Because of that slope the tank slows down, while slopes had much fewer effect on tanks in original Renegade).

2. Is there a specific reason you guys decided to go with an outline of characters and vehicles as opposed to the old fashioned Renegade box-around-object.

3. Are you planning on custom loading/ending screens for the mod?

4. Certain map glitches from the original Renegade apparently made it into Renegade X (B2B on Islands is still possible, dodging the AGT behind the GDI ref on Field). Did you leave these glitches in on purpose or did they simply sneak in because you were making exact replica's of the maps, without alteration to counter those glitches?

5. I personally have the impression that the glitch concerning GDI having a Nod ref on Field and Islands is a glitch that could have and should have been detected and fixed before the release of the beta. Base structures are obviously a big part of the game. Why was this glitch left in the initial beta?

1. There is still much tweaking to be done on movement.

2. "It's more 'modern' than a box."

3. Of course.

4. B2B from where?

5. As far as I personally know, since I'm not one of the coders, we thought it was only a naming problem, not something that would actually keep teams from winning a match.

And to answer nudalz: It does? Well then I guess we'll be removing that. The only "realistic" weapon-related physics we want are a little bit of bullet-spread like in Renegade. (Stand about 20 feet from a cliff and shoot at it with an automatic weapon. Notice the small amount of bullet spread on the decals.)

About the chaingun which is essentialy a minigun. So now it doesn't need to be reloaded which is a good thing, but doesn't that make it a little overpowered? If this change was made for the sake of realism, then shouldn't it also need some time to spin the barrels ? Has the dev team thought about adding some delay ?

QUOTE (dirtycopgangsta @ Oct 4 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the chaingun which is essentialy a minigun. So now it doesn't need to be reloaded which is a good thing, but doesn't that make it a little overpowered? If this change was made for the sake of realism, then shouldn't it also need some time to spin the barrels ? Has the dev team thought about adding some delay ?[/b]

>bringing realism into a discussion video game.

<_

• Totem Arts Staff

I think the chaingun is perfectly fine. A bit better than Renegade's but not enough to make it overpowered. It was always supposed to be a stronger version of the autorifle, if it were any weaker then there'd be no point in paying 175 for it. So we thought the no reload idea for the chaingun was a perfect way to make it better than Renegade's without ruining the game.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Oct 4 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the chaingun is perfectly fine. A bit better than Renegade's but not enough to make it overpowered. It was always supposed to be a stronger version of the autorifle, if it were any weaker then there'd be no point in paying 175 for it. So we thought the no reload idea for the chaingun was a perfect way to make it better than Renegade's without ruining the game.[/b]

Why did it need adjusting? I dont know, but it was pretty powerfull before. You could get really much xtra kills buying this guy at the start, and it was still pretty effective later in the game due to the xtra health and not dying the first ramjet shot.
or that is at least how I feel about it. The patch was also horribly underestimated. They even put the cost of patch DOWN on some servers! Against people it is way better then mobius or mendoza, due to traveling bullits and people dont see you miles away shooting that thing.

QUOTE (Ban4life @ Oct 19 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did it need adjusting? I dont know, but it was pretty powerfull before. You could get really much xtra kills buying this guy at the start, and it was still pretty effective later in the game due to the xtra health and not dying the first ramjet shot.
or that is at least how I feel about it. The patch was also horribly underestimated. They even put the cost of patch DOWN on some servers! Against people it is way better then mobius or mendoza, due to traveling bullits and people dont see you miles away shooting that thing.[/b]

I actually agree. Even late game, I sometimes use the chaingunner. A patch is simply more expencive but he lacks enough extra firepower to be worth it when fighting ramjets and other snipers.

Making him unable to reload somehow deminishes his stragetic feel to me. Keeping an eye on how full a clip is has always been one of my greatest advantages over other players. You will rarely find me reloading prematurely, I always go reloaded into a fight. But having a cheap trooper with quite a lot of power to a skilled player WITHOUT reloading? Watch infantry fights and you'll see that people constantly keep track of their ammo, when they get close to reloading they will draw towards cover and get behind it when they reload. People who don't lose too much health right then as all the jumpy dodgy stuff stops and the aiming goes up.

I actually think that the officer will now outstrip the patch when it comes to attacking people. A patch, even with that short reload time, needs to keep track of his ammo, and take cover when he gets close to reloading. An officer with this chaingun? I could probably mop up 90% of anyone in a firefight with any other player as long as snipers are not allowed, and have enough health to go in for another round.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

I like the officer. And he isn't going to replace patch.

-Patch has more health.

-Flechette shots are more accurate than the chaingun's.

-Flechette will do either equal or more damage than the chaingun.

-Tiberium projectiles cause extended radiation damage.

For a few hundred credits more, that's a decent advantage.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Oct 21 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the officer. And he isn't going to replace patch.

-Patch has more health.
-Flechette shots are more accurate than the chaingun's.
-Flechette will do either equal or more damage than the chaingun.
-Tiberium projectiles cause extended radiation damage.

For a few hundred credits more, that's a decent advantage. [/b]

-Yes, but vs most snipers it makes no difference. And if you buy officer after officer, you end up with more health and time to damage people for the same amount of money as a patch. And don't start with 'but you'll die more' because K.D. ratio means nothing, and you don't die that much more. The officer has how much health? 150+100 armour, the patch 200+100 armour. 50 health is barely anything. If you start off with one second of bad shooting you already lost that much if not more.
They both die with 2 shots from the ramjet, and they both die with 3 shots from the normal sniper.
-Yes, and one of the things why the chaingun and the laser chaingun are very good vs people is because they are the few weapons that don't need the pinpoint accuracy of other weapons in the game. Aiming nearly on them works just as good as on them, while other weapons HAVE to be aimed exactly on them or in front of them as they move.
-They do equal damage as far as I know, with tiberium damage afterwards. But it doesn't always do tiberium damage afterwards, and it's of short duration.

All in all, I found the difference between officer and patch rather small to start with, but with the bonus of never having to reload, that difference barely exists.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Oct 21 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll take a Patch over an Officer any day unless I'm broke. Especially when hunting SBH.[/b]

definately.

with patch i outdamage an officer bigtime because of hits and tib. radiaton. when on GDI i always place beacons with patch, why? because patch is a fast shooting hard hitting char :)