FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you plan on accurately measure all weapon damage to maintain game balance? For this the answer must be yes. The diversity and balance of the two sides were key to making this game fun to play over and over. Yes, one side often seemed to have an advantage on one map type, but the you would be surprised.

Do you plan on sizing the walls and barriers to allow and disallow jumping appropriately? (note you could have a guy jump on your back and climb over in the old game, I did it).

Will you have a gamemode to allow for tunnel nukes? Some found this a valid tactic.

Gamemode for base-to-base MRLS (GDI artillery)?

Will stealth soldiers and stanks periodically shimmer so they can be detected as in the old game?

Will MRLS missles seek the same way? I suspect that might be difficult to script unless you can copy the old logic.

Some sort of expanded communications would be nice. While full voice is available commonly now, listening to children is often not a good time. It would be nice to have the full commands from the old game supported like "defend the power plant". Add "I've mined the power plant" etc.

Definitely some sort of education/tutorial and enforcment of mine laying is needed. For many months after the game was released, fools tried to mine the entrance to the base to stop tanks, which of course doesn't work. A visible mine count would be good.

Can you tell I'm real interested in this mod? :shock:

I hope you guys are making good progress. I'll be trying your beta ASAP.

Do you plan on accurately measure all weapon damage to maintain game balance?

Yes, I intend on doing most if not all conversion from LE presets to Ued setup of our weapons...these will match the exact damage, ROF, and velocity of the renegade stats.

Do you plan on sizing the walls and barriers to allow and disallow jumping appropriately?

Walls will remain their same height, but exploiting will not be allowed.

Will you have a gamemode to allow for tunnel nukes? Some found this a valid tactic.

Same as renegade, it's up to the server owners. Ex. Our field map will be the same exact layout, and the nuke will have the same radius of blast.

Gamemode for base-to-base MRLS (GDI artillery)? Gamemodes will be far better then just a simple base to base. As of now, there is nothing planned for such a simple gamemode.

Will stealth soldiers and stanks periodically shimmer so they can be detected as in the old game?

Only when shot

Will MRLS missles seek the same way? I suspect that might be difficult to script unless you can copy the old logic

Exactly the same.

Some sort of expanded communications would be nice. While full voice is available commonly now, listening to children is often not a good time. It would be nice to have the full commands from the old game supported like "defend the power plant". Add "I've mined the power plant" etc.

While the old commands are in, a few may be changed, but the voice option will be used for things like "I mined the power plant". This may be a good time to reveal something I have in the works if you dont want to listen to "kids" the whole game, to give you a hint "squads", more on this later(in it's own topic)

A visible mine count would be good.

Great idea!

Can you tell I'm real interested in this mod?

Yes. Some good questions, thanks

Gamemode for base-to-base MRLS (GDI artillery)? Gamemodes will be far better then just a simple base to base. As of now, there is nothing planned for such a simple gamemode.

I think he meant "Will you allow the old B2B exploits" (Complex, Islands).

Originally posted by VinGummi2

But wait doesn't that mean that if you see you have no chance to disarm a nuke/ion in time you can just go inside a buildings and be safe in there upon the impact? that would be lame

You could hide behind just about anything. A rock would do.

I guess I was asking if there would be maps that have the barrier to stop B2B MRLS and also include the one without the barrier. Some may see that as a valid strategy (I really don't). If that could be accomplished with some sort of server-size check box that would be cool

However, I do not consider the crouching and hurling someone over your back to get over the concrete barriers to be an exploit. It makes perfect sense for that to work AND, there is a defense such as mining a little bit there and have a defender arty the area occasionally. Also tunnel soldiers should stop that. But it won't kill me to live without it.

• Totem Arts Staff
However, I do not consider the crouching and hurling someone over your back to get over the concrete barriers to be an exploit. It makes perfect sense for that to work AND, there is a defense such as mining a little bit there and have a defender arty the area occasionally.[/b]

But this wasn't the intention of the creators of the game. Wall jumping is kind of like a bug in Renegade, because it isn't literally a person giving a boost to someone else, but rather a W3D screw up when two people are jumping at each other. How I see it, the Walls are there for a reason, to block infantry. If Westwood wanted the area to be accessible, there wouldn't be the walls there.

Don't believe me? Play ACK's map Field TS, where the walled areas in original Field are now totally accessible. See what happens to the gameplay in that map.

A super weapon is a blast in a radius, which means it will get everything in an area, so if that rock is in that radius it will damage anything in front or behind it.

Wall jumping certain areas isn't all that bad, but to get onto the roof of buildings, where they clearly didnt want you, is a exploit... we most likely will block areas we dont want people to go well enough so you can't wall jump.

Here are another issues to talk about:

-No SP-mode....but, how about Assault CnC maps(like assault missions in UT)? biggrin.gif

-how will be music be?....i hope there will some kind of music menu(like in TibSun)

-Will there be taunts in game(animated and/or vocals )?

• 3 weeks later...

this look well cool i cant wait for it to come out iam goin to buy unreal t as soon as i canso i can be 1 of the first 1000 to check it out i expect there will be alot of glitches with the game

how long would it take from a glitch gettin reported to u to it being fixed?

Originally posted by WaYdrunk

this look well cool i cant wait for it to come out iam goin to buy unreal t as soon as i canso i can be 1 of the first 1000 to check it out i expect there will be alot of glitches with the game

how long would it take from a glitch gettin reported to u to it being fixed?

this wont get out as soon as UT3 gets out, as they will need the SDK to make the mod in UT3 and that will probably not come out at the same time as the game , and even if it does they need time to learn it and use to mod UT3 (lucky for me, as you can first get UT3 30 November in Denmark sad.gif)

• 1 month later...

I was listening to your first pod cast about the score screens and stuff like that when, it got me thinking about the options menu, will the mod add the Lock Camera to Turret as what renegade had?

just a thought.

awesome Titan1x77 i remember when u first played ren and the screen was alwayed locked to the front of the tank, so you had to turn the tank to see next to you, and then you go and look in the options and you see "Lock to turret" and it fixes all!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

Been a while since anyone posted anything. Not to ask a stupid question but are YOU (Titan) happy with progress since your mid December 2007 update post?

Is there any chance of getting a small simple map with limited buildings, weapons and vehicles up for a beta test of your mod?

Wiz

• Totem Arts Staff

I'm not Titan, but I am the other leader of the mod, and I am managing the work flow. I'd say the progress has been going quite well, you'll see some of the stuff we've been working on lately quite soon.

We're a week behind this February because of the forum issues though.

As for the beta, yes, that is the plan.

Progress is steady with a few of the members starting to map, and older models getting updated.

I'd like to see more infantry being worked on at this point...other then that things are going smooth.

Stay updated in the Live WIP forum, we did lose some posts, but new ones will pop up.

• 4 weeks later...

what about there being a possibility for difference boink sounds depending on how you die? Example it would be really cool if you get a squish sounds when you get squished, and a normal boink when you are just killed with a weapon, and depending on the weapon there could also be different sounds

Can i install the Hourglass map in the UT3 demo?

PS: is $100 way overpriced for an ATI HD2400? because i need to upgrade my video card to get better performance (right now it is playable IMO [20-30fps] at 1024x768 with texture on 2, but the mouse feels vague (especially for a fast shooter like UT3) An HD2400 is the best gpu i can get that i have seen so far in any stores like the Source by Circuit City)

Will more skins be made available for the original renegade?

I love the PIC skin and laser rifle and I am confident that my pc can handle entire characters being redone. (A redone version of the sidney/mobius powersuit and black hand Chain gunner would be REALLY cool. A humvee skin would just be a bonus)

• Totem Arts Staff

Actually Renegade wouldn't be able to handle our characters. Our character models on their own are about 7000 polygons I think, with a normal map from a high-polygon version of the same character (Renegade currently doesn't do normal maps). Not to mention the 2048 x 2048 texturing and specular maps.

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Apr 3 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Renegade wouldn't be able to handle our characters. Our character models on their own are about 7000 polygons I think, with a normal map from a high-polygon version of the same character (Renegade currently doesn't do normal maps). Not to mention the 2048 x 2048 texturing and specular maps.[/b]

Could you answer my other question on how to install the hourglass map in the demo?

Where do you install it in the full version? I want to try this map.

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Apr 3 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Renegade wouldn't be able to handle our characters. Our character models on their own are about 7000 polygons I think, with a normal map from a high-polygon version of the same character (Renegade currently doesn't do normal maps). Not to mention the 2048 x 2048 texturing and specular maps.[/b]

could you add at least a few more weapons?

the laser chaingun and the volt autorifle and rocket launcher could use an overhaul.

• Totem Arts Staff

Follow this if you'd like to install Hourglass on UT3:

http://ren2007.totemarts.net/Tutorials/Map_tutorial.swf

could you add at least a few more weapons?

the laser chaingun and the volt autorifle and rocket launcher could use an overhaul.[/b]

We don't have those weapons done.

Will all the buildings have a model without the ramps etc. for non-flying maps as C&C Renegade does?

and are you intending to recreate the Renegade HUD and reticle?

Apologies if these questions have been asked already.

Looks amazing so far.

:)

• Totem Arts Staff
Will all the buildings have a model without the ramps etc. for non-flying maps as C&C Renegade does?[/b]

Yes

and are you intending to recreate the Renegade HUD and reticle?[/b]

HUD yes, we will probably have a different reticle for each weapon type

• 4 weeks later...

Are you going to introduce any of your own balance or gameplay changes that should have been in Renegade but weren't because of engine limitations (like no bunny-hopping snipers) in the first release?

Will Renegade X (almost typed RenX, which is something you probably don't want to be associated with, lolbugs) include some of the fan-made Renegade server modifications in its vanilla form such as vehicle ownership and more diverse crates?

• Totem Arts Staff
Are you going to introduce any of your own balance or gameplay changes that should have been in Renegade but weren't because of engine limitations (like no bunny-hopping snipers) in the first release?[/b]

Well for one, ramjets will be getting 2 bullets per ammo instead of 4; that way one Havoc cannot kill an Arty by himself in a few seconds. They'll still do the same damage, but it would just take longer to kill the light armoured vehicles.

As for bunny hopping, we're keeping the UT3 styled gameplay for infantry, which does have a little bit of hopping around, but not as much as Renegade.

Will Renegade X (almost typed RenX, which is something you probably don't want to be associated with, lolbugs) include some of the fan-made Renegade server modifications in its vanilla form such as vehicle ownership and more diverse crates?[/b]

Yes for vehicle ownage, and lots of server side options will be controllable by the host such as crates, vehicle limits, mine limits, etc.

Wholy crap guys...I can't believe I didnt find you guys earlier...I am very impressed so far. Like I stated in another post, I am willing to host a test server if needed. :) I have been playing Ren since it came out and have been renting to several people not making any money, just to keep ren alive. I've spent thousands in last few years over Ren for dedicated rentals. I hope to keep it alive a bit longer, you guys just may do that...this is the best mod by far. Congrats on all who worked on it. I am re-vamping my forums and WILL with no doubt get more people here to check you guys out. I've been around awhile and people will certainly come and be dazzled by your work.

I am not a scriptor, or art guy...just a renegader and network guy. If I can do anything to assist. Just lemme know.

**p.s. I spammed My IRC's and see people here already lol :)

Thanks!

~HaO

• 1 month later...

I downloaded the hourglass map and played it as a CTF on Unreal 3. But I saw that the scales were terrible, it took 4 seconds to get from the bottom of the hill to the top, walking.

Then I saw the movie, and a lot of my fears were lessened as they seemed back to scale. but still the question:

Will the scale of soldiers, tanks and buildings be the exact same as in the old game?

Another question that arises: In the old renegade we had a very slow bullet travel for most weapons (as the slugs moved quite slow, you had to aim in front of someone to hit them). Will this be the exact same as in the old game? or will the bullets travel at Unreal 3 speeds? (that is, incredibly fast, but not instant).

I also read the reply to the question of how you discover stealth. Do you really have to shoot it to make it visible? Or will it be like the old game, where if you came too close you were also seen shimmering? If not, then stealth suits would suddenly be far more valuable, and stealth tanks even more...

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jun 6 2008, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will the scale of soldiers, tanks and buildings be the exact same as in the old game?

Another question that arises: In the old renegade we had a very slow bullet travel for most weapons (as the slugs moved quite slow, you had to aim in front of someone to hit them). Will this be the exact same as in the old game? or will the bullets travel at Unreal 3 speeds? (that is, incredibly fast, but not instant).[/b]

It's possible to make it the same as in the old game, without any problems.
And as it was balacned that way maybe we'll keep close to it. (or not, not quite sure about that)

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jun 6 2008, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also read the reply to the question of how you discover stealth. Do you really have to shoot it to make it visible? Or will it be like the old game, where if you came too close you were also seen shimmering? If not, then stealth suits would suddenly be far more valuable, and stealth tanks even more...

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

Atm. I'm redoing the stealth effect, and the aim is to have it like in the old game (maybe with some improvments).

• Totem Arts Staff

Hourglass is roughly the same size as the old one (base area a bit smaller) and Field & Complex are exactly the same size. Remember that in UT3 you run a lot faster than in Renegade, so travel time might seem shorter in the ut3 version.

QUOTE (Pr0eX @ Jun 6 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's possible to make it the same as in the old game, without any problems.
And as it was balacned that way maybe we'll keep close to it. (or not, not quite sure about that)

Atm. I'm redoing the stealth effect, and the aim is to have it like in the old game (maybe with some improvments).[/b]

Tnx, especially the thing about the stealth effect makes me happy. The stealth effect is one of the few things that I would like to keep EXACLY the same (except graphix ofcourse).

Any improvements made on other subjects, such as shooting, aiming etc can probably only increase the gameplay, as you are people who don't just make it, but also play it. ;)

@NEFoobbyGEN.
That's a relief. The old scales were best.
Having infantry run faster isn't really a problem. UNLESS the vehicles move the same speed, then harvywalking will be very hard, and vehicles would suddenly be a lot slower and less usefull.

I do hope that jumping won't be as good as in Unreal 3, because in renegade you still have a chance to hit someone, but in Unreal it's something that can really make you near unhittable for weapons with bullettravel.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Been playing renegade for years, Just recently found out about Ren X, and I must say I'm really excited, as Ren is still very unique and didn't get the attention it deserves. More games should be like it.

Few questions;

I see you are implementing 3rd person view, will you be making the infamous "Free-Aim" available?

Are you implementing the crates? If yes will it be the same old "crap" box as came with ren, or the newer crates that many servers are using now?

There are also a lot of new features implemented by server side mods on Renegade nowadays such as veterancy levels, Vehicle shells which can be restored, Ammopacks/backpacks that players drop when they are killed etc... Are you guys considering of implementing any of it?

Thanks in advance and REALLY looking forward to this standalone game ;)

• Totem Arts Staff

Firstly, it is a mod for UT3 and not a stand alone game.

Secondly, by Free Aim do you mean the "V" button in Renegade? If so I don't think we're implementing that as it was close to useless in Renegade.

Thirdly, the functions of the crate will be up to the server administrator. It will be a server-side option on whether the host wants just money crates, bonus crates or no crates at all.

Things like weapon drop will be implemented for sure, as for the other things you mentioned we will be talking about them when we're closer to being finished

The way I see it, and I think most good renegade players would agree with me here, Free aim is very useful and I'm disappointed no other games use it. But its your decision.

And I thought I just need a valid copy of UT3.. and this will be standalone sort of like C&C Reborn or APB. But I guess its all the same.

Anyways, thanks for the reply and Very nice work so far.

• Totem Arts Staff

Oh like that kind of Stand Alone. Because normally a "stand alone" is a game in which you don't need another game to run it. Reborn and APB are standalones because you don't need Renegade to play them.

And you found Free Aim useful? I don't think I've ever used it to kill anyone, all it does is move your reticle around without moving the screen.