FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NEFirestorm @ Jun 15 2008, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, free aim owns when sniping. I guess some ppl will be quite dissapointed if free aim won't be implented in the mod[/b]

I never used it. As far as I know free aim was always used to shoot around corners without yourself ever being seen. And I've always found it one of those bugs that should NOT be exploited. Just like wallhugging.

Infantry walljumping is something that I can condone, as in reallity you can use your friends to give you a leg up. But shooting through corner walls goes a bit too far for me.

I won't shed a tear when free aim isn't implemented.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (NEFirestorm @ Jun 15 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol stonekirby is like the master of freeaim[/b]

Actually there are a LOT more people who use free aim, and are better at it then stone kirby, and its not just for sniping. It is also extremely useful for MG type weapons (chaingun, LCG, patch/mobius, etc..), shotguns rave/PIC, pretty much every weapon in AOW games. Once you master free-aim, there is no comparison to game play without it, and you wonder, how on earth did you play without it before. Anyways, if it is possible, and not too much of a hassle to code it, could you guys make an appearance of it? ;)

QUOTE (-Xv- @ Jun 15 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually there are a LOT more people who use free aim, and are better at it then stone kirby, and its not just for sniping. It is also extremely useful for MG type weapons (chaingun, LCG, patch/mobius, etc..), shotguns rave/PIC, pretty much every weapon in AOW games. Once you master free-aim, there is no comparison to game play without it, and you wonder, how on earth did you play without it before. Anyways, if it is possible, and not too much of a hassle to code it, could you guys make an appearance of it? ;) [/b]

I've watched the video...

And the only advantage I see is the fact that you can strafe diagonal instead of circular around a person while aiming. And that you can look around a corner and still be aiming at the side of the hall.

Furthermore, I think I've finally discovered why so many people let themselves be surprise attacked from the side. When your free aiming your vision is stuck, and you don't see 100% to the sides.

I think it's more a question of how you like to aim. I prefer my entire screen to center around the reticle so that I can watch the environment to the fullest in a flash. Some people will probably prefer aiming with the reticle only, and then this free aim could be handy.
In renegade I play Tatwayplz, Oneshot12 and Ban4life by the way. Perhaps it rings a bell (if you play Jelly Marathon you'll probably know me). I never used free aim, but I think I can count myself at least close to pro when it comes to anything from sniping, tank driving, harrassment, evasion, stealth and plain destruction.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

I just watched some of the screenshots, and when I landed at the MRLS I just came up with an idea:

In Renegade the only advantage of an MRLS is that you can shoot around corners and it could fire a barrage and then take cover. In everything else the MRLS is worse off then the Mobile Artillery, as the Mobile Artillery has a far bigger splash damage, deals a bit more damage in more lengthy battles and the bullets move very fast, making them hard to avoid.

But the MRLS you show has the turnable turret that some maps featured. Which is both an advantage as you can shoot ppl that are behind you or besides you. But it also negates the advantage of shooting around corners.

I hope you will make a function, such as alt fire. That will allow you to make the turret stop turning, allowing you to shoot around corners.

Another question: under the screenshots someone asked if all the vehicles will have secondary fire. Upon which the answer was that only vehicles with secondary fire such as the Orca, Apache and Mammoth tank will have those.

Will this include the secondary fire that the Flame tank has? Which was that only the left barrel shot flames, but (nearly) twice as strong? That secondary fire is the best way to destroy vehicles because if you have to use both your barrels half of it misses.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Jun 17 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the flame tank doesn't have an alt fire in Renegade. And I just loaded up Renegade to check, and I'm still firing out of 2 barrels when I alt-fire.

As for the MRLS, good point, we'll look into it.[/b]

Actually, load the game again. And now shoot at the ground/wall. Check where the scorchmarks will appear, with primairy they will appear on both barrels, with secondary they will only appear at the left barrel. If you are in multiplayer practise, you should try it out on the GDI harvester. First with only the left barrel and primairy fire, then with the left barrel and secondary fire. You'll see an increase in damage.
The fact that it shoots out of 2 barrels is just because they never made an animation of a flame tank shooting out of one barrel. They made more of such mistakes. Such as fire that goes through walls. There are still a lot of people that think that you can damage someone by firing through walls, as the fire ANIMATION goes through, but the actual 'bullets' bump against the wall leaving scorchmarks.

I've been looking through your database. And someone stated that your obelisk is 'the obelisk from renegade'.
But the obelisk from Renegade has it's entrance under the laser crystal! Exactly at the other side! So that's something you should take a look at before you implemente obelisks that have been turned around 180 degrees.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Former Developers

Wow, in all my years of Reneraging, I have never noticed the dealy with the flame tank. I did some ingame testing to make sure it was true. When using the alt fire only the left stream deals damage, and it is equal to the primary fire's damage of both streams. So I guess this is another one of those W3d errors. The MRLS isnt supposed to have an alt fire with only one slot for fires. This is a w3d problem where only the second muzzle bone works when using alt fire with a tank that shoots only one thing. If anyone wants to try, make a new vehicle with two muzzle bones and then try firing a projectile. This wont work for the mammoth because it has a secondary muzzle bone (where the missiles come out of)

I like the idea of having a toggling the rotation for the MRLS. I actually think the MRLS is more useful then the arty to those whom know how to use it, but I guess the same can be said for the arty. The total damage done with all 6 missiles is greater then one arty shell.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Jun 18 2008, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never heard of this supposed alternate fire before. And our obelisk is correct. The entrance is in the rear, not the front.[/b]

Your obelisk is Correct. I just checked. Some obelisks in the missions have it the other way around, hence my mistake.

The secondary fire of the flame tank is the perfect way to deal with infantry and also great when you are fighting thin tanks.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Just wanted to comment, but the Free Aim is incredibly useful. I've killed Mammoth Tanks using a Nod Buggy on many occasions, simply because I could use Free Aim to aim perpendicular to where my vehicle was facing, and driving around the Mammy. Free Aim let's vehicles fire at targets without changing from their track - regardless of where that target is in relation to the player. It also greatly increases the turret turn speed, when trying to chase down targets scampering to the far left or right. It let's you watch your back so you know if you need to dodge, and let's you check around corners without putting yourself to undue risk.

In terms of Orca VTOL/Apache Helicopter fights, Free Aim is almost a necessity, as it let's you move completely irrelevantly to the target, which means you're not going to immediately die just because you decided to kill an infantry. Without Free Aim, the Apache/Orca has to be lined up with the target, making it rather simple to shoot it, but with Free Aim, the Apache/Orca can come out from cover, firing at targets to the bottom left/right, and slip back into cover, without giving even a moment of undue vulnerability.

In terms of MRLS, Free Aim allows the MRLS to fire backwards, giving it more height and potentially hit more targets. Firing backwards is useful for trying to hit units hiding behind a large rock, as the rockets will arc downwards.

Just a note from your friendly lunatic Chaingunner. Causing severe mayhem amongst all nearby infantry targets since 2003.

QUOTE (Teal @ Jun 22 2008, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to comment, but the Free Aim is incredibly useful. I've killed Mammoth Tanks using a Nod Buggy on many occasions, simply because I could use Free Aim to aim perpendicular to where my vehicle was facing, and driving around the Mammy. Free Aim let's vehicles fire at targets without changing from their track - regardless of where that target is in relation to the player. It also greatly increases the turret turn speed, when trying to chase down targets scampering to the far left or right. It let's you watch your back so you know if you need to dodge, and let's you check around corners without putting yourself to undue risk.

In terms of Orca VTOL/Apache Helicopter fights, Free Aim is almost a necessity, as it let's you move completely irrelevantly to the target, which means you're not going to immediately die just because you decided to kill an infantry. Without Free Aim, the Apache/Orca has to be lined up with the target, making it rather simple to shoot it, but with Free Aim, the Apache/Orca can come out from cover, firing at targets to the bottom left/right, and slip back into cover, without giving even a moment of undue vulnerability.

In terms of MRLS, Free Aim allows the MRLS to fire backwards, giving it more height and potentially hit more targets. Firing backwards is useful for trying to hit units hiding behind a large rock, as the rockets will arc downwards.

Just a note from your friendly lunatic Chaingunner. Causing severe mayhem amongst all nearby infantry targets since 2003.[/b]

ehmm... about most of that can be done if you just bind the camera to the turret instead of to the vehicles chassis

Actually what he is talking about is just the camera binding to the turret on vehicles... but its essentially the same thing on foot. I believe it is just better to aim at something while having a still background, instead of the view AND the target moving/shaking all over. Besides, it is more realistic, you don't shake your head all over the place just because you are moving/aiming in a different direction ^_^

Free Aim on infantry is negligible - it still boils down to your aim. Having both the background moving and the target moving is actually beneficial to me, in order to keep my awareness at a peak (i.e. making sure everything changes, so my peripheral vision isn't just copying that frame and only focusing on a single area, which is less tiring, but less effective for a blitzer-style player like myself.)

Don't get me wrong, I can still snipe noscope at long range just fine - used to do it with the Gunner's Rocket Launcher (and got many an accusation from it.) Just... for me, Free Aim would ruin my potential for killing one target, swinging around 90°, killing another target, flipping around another 180° and killing a third target.

The Free Aim locks the camera to the weapon, so saying that "all that can be done by binding the camera to the turret instead of the chassis" is redundant. And that's the most significant advantage of Free Aim.

QUOTE (Havoc89 @ Jun 18 2008, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When using the alt fire only the left stream deals damage, and it is equal to the primary fire's damage of both streams.[/b]

I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that it dealt NEARLY equal damage to the primary fire's damage of both streams. As against buildings the primary fire seemed more powerfull. And it is very hard to miss then ;) . I never found a way to be certain though. Perhaps a few tests with damage calculators should be in order.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (-Xv- @ Jun 23 2008, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides, it is more realistic, you don't shake your head all over the place just because you are moving/aiming in a different direction ^_^[/b]

ehmm... not really you say the background move wrong it is you that move making it free aim is like you keep looking at the same point but move your weapon in the hadn if you want to compare to real life... and how often do you do that?

QUOTE (Teal @ Jun 23 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Free Aim locks the camera to the weapon, so saying that "all that can be done by binding the camera to the turret instead of the chassis" is redundant. And that's the most significant advantage of Free Aim.[/b]

when talking vechs it is the same, and that is how it gonna work for vechs anyway in renegadeX and the person I replied to talked about vechs only

QUOTE (GummiBear @ Jun 23 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ehmm... not really you say the background move wrong it is you that move making it free aim is like you keep looking at the same point but move your weapon in the hadn if you want to compare to real life... and how often do you do that?[/b]

O don't get too nit picky. I didn't mean that the background is the one moving.. that's just the way the game makes it be. If you don't have free aim on, you don't have a still background with a moving target, like it actually is (as the surfaces don't actually move) but that's just not what you see with the way the game is made. ( I can't really explain, my English isn't that good >_<)

And don't tell me you move your whole head completely every time you move your hands in a direction.

QUOTE (-Xv- @ Jun 24 2008, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And don't tell me you move your whole head completely every time you move your hands in a direction.[/b]

I do when I'm looking over the sights of a weapon. It's kind of hard to aim without moving your head almost completely along with your weapon. Wether you are carrying a pistol, a rifle or a shotgun which doesn't really need a lot of aiming (except in Renegade), you will notice that your head is mostly within 30degrees turn of your weapon. Only when you are looking around you, a quick glance left and right, you will not move your weapon with it.
But hé, you can't glance left and right with free aim! So both modes are faulty in that respect.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (-Xv- @ Jun 24 2008, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O don't get too nit picky. I didn't mean that the background is the one moving.. that's just the way the game makes it be. If you don't have free aim on, you don't have a still background with a moving target, like it actually is (as the surfaces don't actually move) but that's just not what you see with the way the game is made. ( I can't really explain, my English isn't that good >_<)

And don't tell me you move your whole head completely every time you move your hands in a direction.[/b]

now I never hold a real gun of any kind myself in my hand myself, but really I say good luck aiming with anything that is about 90 degrees from your head

and I like being nitpicky :D afterall I am testing several mods so then I need to be nitpicky :D

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Jun 15 2008, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly, it is a mod for UT3 and not a stand alone game.

Secondly, by Free Aim do you mean the "V" button in Renegade? If so I don't think we're implementing that as it was close to useless in Renegade.

Thirdly, the functions of the crate will be up to the server administrator. It will be a server-side option on whether the host wants just money crates, bonus crates or no crates at all.

Things like weapon drop will be implemented for sure, as for the other things you mentioned we will be talking about them when we're closer to being finished[/b]

The V button was not useless in Renegade, that's all I ever use, if gives much more flexibility if you know how to use it, I for one would be very disapointed if RenX didn't have a similar function

Q: Will Renegade X have AI bots?

A: Yes! Those who have played C&C Renegade know that its bots were as dumb as a rock, but Unreal already has some very good AI and it will be very easy to set up our characters to work with it. (Although we will need to customize algorithms for avoiding base defenses and repairing allies etc.)

In fact a server admin will be able to set up a system where bots fill empty spots on both teams until real people join, then they'll take one of the bots' places. This way servers can stay full or have small matches at their discretion. Also players can give orders to Unreal's bots so we might enable command of a bot or 2 to follow you around and give support.

What intriques me now is: How will you command the AI bot around?

The radiocommands would not be sufficiënt as they would order the entire team around. How then? like in Unreal 3 itself? using a button, and then selecting from a few options what they will do?

Another option is to do it partly like Crysis, use F1 for support commands, F2 for attack commands, F3 for technical commands (Mine pp, repair duty, defence duty, taking/holding an important point on the map such as sniper vantage point). and so on. After selecting the command you can select who you want to do it.

All that aside, how will YOU do it?

Edit: Oh, stupid me, I think I know the answer: can you use the Battle command uplink for this (the map on which you can draw your stratagy's)?

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

FAQ has now been updated.

To answer your question, we'd use Unreal's voice menu system. Hit the V key and you have options for order, taunts, etc, and then to keep 1 person from ordering all the bots around, I imagine that we'd have it so you have to be aiming in the general direction of the bot to order it around the first time, then it would be "attached" to you and you wouldn't have to face it to give orders. It would run off if you were idle for a certain amount of time.

That is, that's how I imagine we'd do it, we haven't gotten around to customizing the AI yet. That comes later.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Jun 24 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FAQ has now been updated.

To answer your question, we'd use Unreal's voice menu system. Hit the V key and you have options for order, taunts, etc, and then to keep 1 person from ordering all the bots around, I imagine that we'd have it so you have to be aiming in the general direction of the bot to order it around the first time, then it would be "attached" to you and you wouldn't have to face it to give orders. It would run off if you were idle for a certain amount of time.

That is, that's how I imagine we'd do it, we haven't gotten around to customizing the AI yet. That comes later.[/b]

One problem: What about free aiming then? Free aiming is on the 'V' button. It would be bad if there came a mix up.
"I'm gonna snipe that guy"
"WHOA, why am I ordering my AI's to assault the base defences?"

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm... its all looking quite sexy...

1. What about the Audio?...ive seen alot of fantastic visuals... will there be any extra sounds like Cloak and de-cloak for SBH's and Stealth Tanks?, and will you keep the same weapon sounds as were used in Renegade, The ambient sounds like wind could do with great improvement too... better ones will already be in UT3 anyway though right?

2. Will you implement weather into the game? like Fog and Rain... thunder and lightning, Sand storms etc... could add a new dimention to the experiance ^_^v timing rushes under cover of certain weather patterns would be a welcome addition in my eyes

3. It would be funny and nice but not really necessary if when you killed a structure, the AI bots would cheer along... i.e. in Ren online when you are on Nod and you hear "GDI Advanced Guard Tower Destroyed", just about everyone says "affermative" as many times as they can it would be awsome if the AI joined in... doing it more or less depending on the total length of time the match has been going for, like real human players. if youve had a 2hr stale mate and finaly kill a structure the Ai goes nuts just like we all do online in Renegade for celebration.

4. Sombody said (i cant remember who...sorry)

"Well for one, ramjets will be getting 2 bullets per ammo instead of 4; that way one Havoc cannot kill an Arty by himself in a few seconds. They'll still do the same damage, but it would just take longer to kill the light armoured vehicles"

I think that would be a silly thing, the Ramjets take a while to reload when your under fire, and if your not an AMAZING sniper it will be difficult to accomplish anything with only 2 rounds. Also in regard to killing Artys, it just means that the other team MUST work together because they will be destroyed very quickly if they decide to just go it alone... they deserve to get killed.

5. I think the same person said (again not sure I just read 10 pages :S) that you cannot tunnel beacon because splash damage doesnt go through walls in UT3.... but then they said

"A super weapon is a blast in a radius, which means it will get everything in an area, so if that rock is in that radius it will damage anything in front or behind it"

Which means that you will still be able to tunnel beacon again anyway.... how might u fix this?...because i must protest that the Field is the most boring map ever to play on, because Nod A L W A Y S get tunnel beaconed by GDI, even if im on GDI im just bored of it...

6. Free aim? never ever heard of that... I actually think 3rd person view itself is cheating... being able to see round a corner you are meters away from.. nah not for me that.... ONLY if i was a SBH (which is very rare) would i ever consider it (third person view that is)

7. In first person will you have (or is there already) peek buttons normally Q and E so you can peek round the corner without fully exposing your self? that'd be real cool, as you can change key bindings anyway so setting the "use" button as somthing else isnt a prob..

8. Will vehicles have critical points? well, not critical... but I mean will the armour on a Mammy and other tanks be weaker at its rear and top side that at the front? I feel it would be good to to this BUT the game may lose a part of its unique Arcade feel of "just shoot it doesnt matter where just hit that tank!!" xD

9. Will Transport Helicopters have the ability to deploy a rope for infantry to enter/disembark from for faster movment and for deployment in terrain that makes landing the helicopter impossible, i.e. Forests and cities

10. will the Helicopters in the game have a realistic Rotor volume, so it hits and does damage to things if contact to certain things occur (might be a good accidental anti-infantry weapon too ^_^), as in city_flying a apache could sneek through those tiny gaps in the corners under the bridge with no damage at all.

9. First person veiws for vehicles?... thatd be good but wouldnt that be a little wierd... i mean how would it work for units like the APC, vehicle first person would be more suited for gameplay that means the Driver isnt the gunner, so the driver gets a full Driving view, and the gunner gets the combat view... I mean, if the cam is locked to the turret so you can shoot how are you still going to drive (successfuly), and if the cam is made so you can drive how are you going to shoot

I realise that VEH first person is very far off... just speculation ^_^v...hey if we think you dont have to...

and i also realise you are trying to get it to as close as the original renegade as possible, these are just my thoughts ^.^

Hope thats not too much... I just spent ages reading all the previous posts... nothin compared to that...

Unit75 out...

QUOTE (Unit75 @ Jul 7 2008, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Will you implement weather into the game? like Fog and Rain... thunder and lightning, Sand storms etc... could add a new dimention to the experiance ^_^v timing rushes under cover of certain weather patterns would be a welcome addition in my eyes

3. It would be funny and nice but not really necessary if when you killed a structure, the AI bots would cheer along... i.e. in Ren online when you are on Nod and you hear "GDI Advanced Guard Tower Destroyed", just about everyone says "affermative" as many times as they can it would be awsome if the AI joined in... doing it more or less depending on the total length of time the match has been going for, like real human players. if youve had a 2hr stale mate and finaly kill a structure the Ai goes nuts just like we all do online in Renegade for celebration.

10. will the Helicopters in the game have a realistic Rotor volume, so it hits and does damage to things if contact to certain things occur
(might be a good accidental anti-infantry weapon too ^_^), as in city_flying a apache could sneek through those tiny gaps in the corners under the bridge with no damage at all.[/b]

2:Weather would be cool.

3:Would be fun to have the cheer sound from Red alert 2 ;) . So you can really cheer!
Would be even more fun if it's a 'team button'. If only one person hits that button, nothing happens. If more then 30% of the team presses this button, you will hear the cheer! Would be more realistic.

10:Would be strange, the Orca would be much more usefull then the apache if the apache would have rotor damage.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff

#1. I'm in charge of the audio, so I can simply answer that yes the audio will be great. We won't be using any sounds from the original Renegade, so like the art assets, I am developing new sounds for each weapon, reload, vehicle, etc. As for ambience, UT3 comes with A LOT of environment sounds for the maps.

#2. Yes of course.

#3. We probably won't have a cheer, but we might keep the UT3 taunts or have similar ones for events like those.

#4. We've changed our mind with this. The Ramjet's getting the 4 bullets, but the difference is now the reload time will be a bit longer (1.8 seconds longer). This should, for the most part, solve the problems with the Ramjet killing Orcas with them having no chance, without hindering the ability of the gun.

#5. Honestly tunnel beacons very rarely work. I've been playing Renegade for a very long time and I could say that I think I've only seen a tunnel nuke work a handful of times. I think 95% of them just damage the building, most of them don't even damage it that much. I remember a case where I and some others were techs inside the Refinery and it was hit with 4 tunnel ions, and we just kept repairing and they didn't get the building.

#6. Free aim = V button

#7. Probably not in the first release, as it's a system we have to fully code that wasn't in the previous game.

#9. I think having to rope somebody down is really unnecessary. The way the helicopters worked in Renegade was fine, where if you got low enough you could just jump out without getting hurt. Of course, chinook helicopters were completely useless in the game, and we'll be fixing that.

#10. If you're flying around and bump into a wall, your apache will get hurt.

#11. I believe in UT3 you can toggle between 1st and 3rd person for vehicles. It was like that in UT 2004, haven't really tried it tbh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"#5. Honestly tunnel beacons very rarely work. I've been playing Renegade for a very long time and I could say that I think I've only seen a tunnel nuke work a handful of times. I think 95% of them just damage the building, most of them don't even damage it that much. I remember a case where I and some others were techs inside the Refinery and it was hit with 4 tunnel ions, and we just kept repairing and they didn't get the building."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dude 100% of the times ive been on Field, Nod dont have a Refinery because GDI have killed it through the wall...

one way you could fix this without any coding at all is just move the building a little further away from the wall.... problem solved,

because when 3 Ion beacons are placed in the right place, the ENTIRE nod team could be in the Ref (me included) and still not save it...ive seen it 9 times this week alone... many people just leave because it just kills the map...

"#9. I think having to rope somebody down is really unnecessary. The way the helicopters worked in Renegade was fine, where if you got low enough you could just jump out without getting hurt. Of course, chinook helicopters were completely useless in the game, and we'll be fixing that."

They are not useless, they just got killed by havoc/sakura and snipers too easy which is why nobody used them, I think only PICS and RAVs should be able to do any sort of viable harm to a chinook, of course tanks too. However, if people use them to move inf rapidly round map as they are designed to be then they are REALLY helpfull.... they are FAR TO WEAK in renegade.... that was all.

maybe roping inf is overkill, but if u plan to make more diverse maps in the long term its somthing to consider,

Also being able to lift a vehicle off the ground under the chinook would be awsome and truley give them more of a purpose...plus they do that in the game and in real life anyway :S

clearly you cant pic up a mammy but most VEH should be able to be air lifted, you could place AI trigger areas so that you can not drop the tank in certain areas (to stop the vast cheating that would occur)

Unit75 out

• Totem Arts Staff
one way you could fix this without any coding at all is just move the building a little further away from the wall.... problem solved,[/b]

And that's the solution.

They are not useless, they just got killed by havoc/sakura and snipers too easy which is why nobody used them, I think only PICS and RAVs should be able to do any sort of viable harm to a chinook, of course tanks too. However, if people use them to move inf rapidly round map as they are designed to be then they are REALLY helpfull.... they are FAR TO WEAK in renegade.... that was all.[/b]

They were absolutely useless.

APC vs. Chinook:

APC Armour > Chinook armour
APC Gun > Chinook has no gun
APC Speed = Chinook speed
APC Price > Chinook price

-Chinooks can also be spotted from far away easier than APCs, since they fly in the skies. Ramjets weren't the only disadvantage to the Chinooks, it was absolutely useless.

Also, there's no place a Chinook can get to on the renegade maps that only a flying unit can go. Infantry and vehicles are able to access all parts of the maps.

This is why we want to make it more than a flying coffin. We're probably going to be giving it more armour as well as a player-controlled chaingun on each side. It is 700 credits after all, it shouldn't be so bad.

Walls_flying... that map had a HUGE hill in the middle that you can only get to with Inf and flying units, i always use a chinook to make sure that hill stays full of our Saks and BHS's

Glacier_flying is HUGE running out of ammo and having to run all the way back to base is the worst thing, nobody uses APC for taxi, they use Chinooks.

same for running along the top of that massive bridge on City_flying

anyway. im sorry, i dont mean to argue with the leader about his own mod, u guys know what ur doing

im glad to see you understand that it is weak and are letting the unit get an overhaul

Peace.

Unit75 out.

I think the chinook has always been underestimated.

Think about rushing an enemy base in walls flying where the enemy knows your comming. You will probably not even get further then the entrance.

If you use a chinook however, you can reach one of the sides. And if you do it right, then 4 people are all you need to enter and destroy a building completely, even if you encounter heavy resistance.

It get's even better if you coördinate a chinook rush (seen only one during my renegading years).

It was with 2 chinooks, each went to one side of the Nod camp. The snipers shot them down when they just reached the sides. The Hon side troop was completely wiped out as the Nod force was scared witless that their HON was destroyed. In the meanwhile the other troop entered the air, and send one hottie to the pp. Both were destroyed. The air because they defended it with enough vigour, and the pp because Nod hadn't been counting on a split in targets.

I have my own question about anti-cheat software. Will there be any?

In all my renegading years I've seen loads of cheats, for fun, I'll put down some of the 'best' I've seen:

-On number one worst cheats, stands a cheat I've seen ruining several servers. This cheat let someone join without a name. And the enemy team just spawned, died, spawned, died. And so on untill that person left.

-One of the more badass cheats I've seen was homing gunner rockets. They homed in on someone's head. As you can fire 6 of them in rapid succession, it was a better weapon then homing ramjet.

-Everyone has seen final renegade cheats I think. From engineers who have infinite range on their repair gun and one hit kill if you get hit by it, to just plain 1 hit kill with any damage done.

-One of the more surprising and sneaky cheat's I've seen was the PIC shotgun. At first I thought that it was someone who was very good with a PIC, untill I saw him comming at me with a shotgun trooper. As Renegade has trouble displaying several PIC beams at once, I only knew what he was doing by my death, as then I would glitter as if hit by a PIC or Mobius gun.

-A very nifty trick someone once used was that all quick fire weapons such as machine guns dealed a few more damage then normal. As several bullets usually hit you, it's hard to check if he's either a good shooter or cheats.

-Insta heal. There were 3 cheats on the market for this one. One was that your repair gun healed about 200 health each hit. Another was that only if you pressed another button during your repairs would you get such a massive healing rate. The other was with a button, if you hit that button, your entire team or only yourself was healed instantly. This last one let to many kicks and bans for people who had nothing to do with it, as you just didn't know who was doing it, and which one of the cheats he might be using.

-And last but not least, the big points cheat. When the cheater hit a building with a raptor machine gun, he already earned himself hundreds of points. Even the biggest noob could win a game by just hitting 10 people throughout the game.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff

About the chinooks in Walls Flying, its one of those maps where you can see pretty much the whole field wherever you are. There's always a few snipers either in the base or on the cliff, and with no weapon to defend itself, a chinook helicopter is just cannon fodder.

Sending multiple ones might be a good idea, but you will always have at least one die in mid air, and maybe even the second one die in the enemy base, because air units tend to grab a lot of attention in that map, and you'll see people running to the building that the chinook is heading to.

As for anti-cheat, I believe UT3 has a good system and will probably get a community made system as well. I know that there was a server side anti cheat in UT 2004, where if you were caught cheating and banned, you'd be banned from each and every server that used this anti-cheat mod (which was almost all of the servers).

It's also far easier to catch cheaters in this game. Remember that an admin can simply go into spectator mode and follow this cheater around, or have the option where you see what that person sees, so if the reticle is shooting at nothing and getting kills it would be quite obvious.

Walls Flying is the only stock Renegade map where the Transport chopper is really useful. The enormous mesa in the middle blocks sniper fire so pilots aren't afraid to use it to ferry their own snipers to the top. But it is a useful aircraft if you've got enough cover and a good pilot. Especially if the map has a good design.

Oh and FYI, it's more likely a CH-46 Sea Knight, not a CH-47 Chinook. Yeah it was a Chinook in Tiberian Dawn, but we all know what happened to all the TD stuff in Renegade.

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but is something going to change about the beacon animations so that way if they're disarmed seconds before detonation, the missile doesn't just disappear out of the sky?

that would be cool.... haha.... suddenly the missile changes its course, orrr.. explodes in the air above the target at what ever point it is disarmed at... possibly damaging the structure anyway...

and the ion, it should do damage when it charges because all that energy, focused or not is gonna hurt somthing, however that will make it impossible to disarm past a certain point :S so i think forget that.

hi guys ...

i really love that you stick to the original as close as posible :lol:

THE BOINK IS IN THERE ... LOVE IT !!!

C&C renegade is basicly the best FPS ever ;)

can't wait to see C&C_islands, C&C_walls and C&C_mesa ... those are my favs ;)

question

will there be invisible walls ?

like blockers for vehicles at ramps or for infantry at water ...

i always hated those invisible walls, a bad solution

better put there something like a rock so your vech can not drive up an inf-ramp ... but ivisible blockers, pff ...

Hey, Great job on the mod!

I read the whole thread and found nothing about harvesters :( They were key to winning a match, lose your harvester, lose your credit income.

Q:

Will harvesters work like original CCR? For example: Harvester goes out to tiberium filed, roams aound for a few, heads back to Refinery and your team gains a credit boost.

"Defend the harvester!" :lol:

A: Yes Harvesters will function the same way as in Renegade. AI Harvester goes to and from the field/Refinery which gives you credits. Additionally as in some fan maps you will be able to purchase your own drivable Harvester to boost your team's income rate.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just busy with renegade. The airstrip was destroyed so I was carefull with my stank. I get out to mine the Hand of Nod. Then someone on my team takes my tank.

I start running after it, typing !vkick over and over again. But this guy is just one of those lamers that want to ruin your day. I end up getting sniped while I type !vkick.

So my question is: will there be a wonderfull pleasant hotkey that will allow you to kick people from your vech as soon as they get in? It would help tremendously if you need to do something ASAP without having any real time or need to lock your vehicle.

What's more: it would be a great help for me if there would be a feature to lock the vehicle only to certain people. There are lots of people that I would trust to take my vehicle for a few moments to save the vehicle or help vs a rush while I'm busy with something (such as repairing as I'm the only one to repair around that building, but leaving my vehicle also leaves it for any GDI for the take).

Will you look into such features?

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.