FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buildigs are not really static meshes, its more complex I can't explain the building setup here, the buildings are developed from scratch by the dev team and I think are unique in the Mod-Community (UT3).

Repair gun is used to heal no to hurt. And if you can pick up enemys weapons would it heal enemy and kill your own :blink: ?

I think it changes the gameplay too much. Repair gun is better than engy's pistol to spot stealt black hands and if it would also do harm engineer would be too good defensive unit.

I was just talking with someone about how tactics from Ren, will work in UT3. A particular one caught my attention.. wall hopping? Ie.: you needed 2 players to wall hop the GDI ref wall on Field, to get an eng/tech in for instance. Or once the AGT was down on hourglass, you could get an SBH in at the corner, etc. Are you going to scale the walls for this, and (although I never tried it, haven't played much UT3) does wall hopping even work in UT3?

Also, the double jump feature of UT3.. Can you disable that? I don't think it would fit into the Ren world. Or the double jump allows wall hopping? (or since you can jump sideways from walls) Then that would kill the whole purpose of needing teamwork to pull off advanced tactics. Just speculations ^_^.

A gun doesn't necessarily mean something that kills or causes damage. It's just a device that fires some sort of emission or projectile.

Also, the slang name for the Repair gun is the "Gizmo."

About the wall hopping, it would be cool if there was a built in feature that let one character do a specific move to make a stance for another play to climb on them (sorta like a Splinter Cell coop rip-off) This of course would be able to be disabled per server for servers that don't allow wall-hopping.

I like 2 player wall-hopping as it requires teamwork with another player and is rewarding when you pull it off successfully.

QUOTE (xoham @ Jan 23 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will there be a ladder and can you keep that hack-proof?

The ladder was the key reason teams did not give up and just go to another server when they started to lose.[/b]

There will be a ladder. And... nothing is hack-proof :-) .

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jan 24 2009, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the wall hopping, it would be cool if there was a built in feature that let one character do a specific move to make a stance for another play to climb on them (sorta like a Splinter Cell coop rip-off) This of course would be able to be disabled per server for servers that don't allow wall-hopping.

I like 2 player wall-hopping as it requires teamwork with another player and is rewarding when you pull it off successfully.[/b]

In the past we had this topic also, and we will consider it once we are there.

Repair gun:

From what I read I understand that you guys are thinking of having the gizmo repair friendly, and always damage enemy people.

How about having the primary fire repair things, and the secondary damage things? As in, primary fire supply's energy to repair, secondary dissasembles enemies? That way you will still repair enemies and not damage them if they run into your repair beam (to block off the beacon or just because they place c4).

Ofcourse, it shouldn't heal much damage.

Rain feature:

I've been playing UT3, and the rain itself isn't very obstructive or even noticable during the game (I even started a map sometimes and then thought 'oh, there's rain on this map?' ;) . The rain splashing on a stealth tank would be so unnoticable that you would see the stealth distortions before you can admire the rain splash effect (if you don't get to admire the tank-tracks first).

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jan 23 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like 2 player wall-hopping as it requires teamwork with another player and is rewarding when you pull it off successfully.[/b]

I agree. It seemed to me to be a legitimate strategy that was also easily countered by good base defense (artillery, tunnel infantry).

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jan 28 2009, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rain feature:
I've been playing UT3, and the rain itself isn't very obstructive or even noticable during the game (I even started a map sometimes and then thought 'oh, there's rain on this map?' ;) . The rain splashing on a stealth tank would be so unnoticable that you would see the stealth distortions before you can admire the rain splash effect (if you don't get to admire the tank-tracks first).[/b]

I don't recall stanks leaving tank tracks in the original game. Did they? Will they in UT3?

I'm concerned about anything that changes the mechanics of stealth. The W3d stealth shimmer was enough to find stanks and stoopers. That, and just firing where you think they are.

Whatever criticism and concerns I voice, be sure I look forward to playing this mod.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jan 28 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Repair gun:
From what I read I understand that you guys are thinking of having the gizmo repair friendly, and always damage enemy people.
How about having the primary fire repair things, and the secondary damage things? As in, primary fire supply's energy to repair, secondary dissasembles enemies? That way you will still repair enemies and not damage them if they run into your repair beam (to block off the beacon or just because they place c4).
Ofcourse, it shouldn't heal much damage.[/b]

Actually it sounds like a better idea to automatically hurt enemy units. I was against having the primary secondary thing specifically.

The repairgun shouldn't do any physical damage at all.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jan 28 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rain feature:
I've been playing UT3, and the rain itself isn't very obstructive or even noticable during the game (I even started a map sometimes and then thought 'oh, there's rain on this map?' ;) . The rain splashing on a stealth tank would be so unnoticable that you would see the stealth distortions before you can admire the rain splash effect (if you don't get to admire the tank-tracks first).

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

Did you watch the newest RenX trailer? The rain during the Ion cannon strike seemed pretty vivid and noticeable to me. If rain in UT3 is as unnoticeable as you say it is, couldn't the team have just made their own rain effects?

Oh, the rain is noticable. In the map 'downtown' there is a continuous downpour.

But while the rain is pretty obvious when you watch for all the beautiful details, it doesn't hamper seeing enemies one bit. It doesn't matter if they are far away or close by. When you playing, keeping an eye out for enemy movement, you just don't notice the rain, or the billboards, or the cranes moving in the background.

I think it will be the same in Renegade-X. Even when you are watching for possible splashes of rain on stanks, I think you would have a far easier time spotting stanks using the pistol or another weapon then spotting it through rain.

And I'm not sure what you mean with 'the repair gun shouldn't do physical damage'. Do you mean he only deals damage against armor?

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

I must say that i always questioned the fact that the gizmo did do damage during missions (NOD engi's shooting @ you sometimes) and in multiplayer it didn't. But when you think about it it would be really overpowered to have a gun that can heal AND damage. The damage the gizmo did in missions was quite high, not to mention the burn damage you got afterwards (correct me if im wrong lol). If you would have this in multiplayer almost no other gun would be used because of the abilities of the gizmo.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jan 29 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, the rain is noticable. In the map 'downtown' there is a continuous downpour.

But while the rain is pretty obvious when you watch for all the beautiful details, it doesn't hamper seeing enemies one bit. It doesn't matter if they are far away or close by. When you playing, keeping an eye out for enemy movement, you just don't notice the rain, or the billboards, or the cranes moving in the background.

I think it will be the same in Renegade-X. Even when you are watching for possible splashes of rain on stanks, I think you would have a far easier time spotting stanks using the pistol or another weapon then spotting it through rain.

And I'm not sure what you mean with 'the repair gun shouldn't do physical damage'. Do you mean he only deals damage against armor?

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

That's not what I'm asking. Completely the opposite of what I'm asking. I want to know if a stealth tank in the rain will be EASIER to see when they are cloaked. (Since the rain would hit the tank and roll off seemingly nothing)

And by it shouldn't do physical damage, I meant just that. It's a repair gun, it shouldn't do damage AT ALL. Only repair.

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (DXR_13KE @ Feb 3 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will this mod be playable on the PS3.[/b]

Not until after our final version is released on PC, then we will work towards porting it to the PS3. Though I'd recommend just sticking with PC - you'll be getting public beta tests, more players for online, and far more support.

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Feb 3 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not until after our final version is released on PC, then we will work towards porting it to the PS3. Though I'd recommend just sticking with PC - you'll be getting public beta tests, more players for online, and far more support.[/b]

i am asking this so that i can post information on another forum. thank you.

• Former Developers

You cannot drop weapons. However server admins will have the option to setup their servers with weapon drops just like how it is in current ren servers where after you are killed you either drop an item or a weapon.

Feign Death will still be avaliable.

As per tunnel nuking, we havnt discussed it yet. But we probably will disable being able to deploy super weapons inside a tunnel.

QUOTE (CRiX2k @ Feb 5 2009, 04:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats a strong current, are you sure thats actually water? :P[/b]

Sounds like nitroglicerin to me.

Feign death might give the game an entire new edge. I would sure as hell shoot every body I see on the ground, and be twice as weary as SBH when encountering any dead or not so dead person (or approach each body with a shotgun and get 'feigning death' out of their systems)

I think the idea of making tunnel nukes completely impossible is a good one. However, will this result in infantry only tunnels being unavailable for superweapons just like tanks are unable to get there, or will places like under become very hard to nuke?

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Feb 5 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like the idea of disabling super weapons in given places. They should be able to be placed where ever the player wants.

Now, allowing them to damage structures when placed in specific spots is a different story.[/b]

Explain how that nuclear bomb or ion cannon beam gets into that tunnel, PLEASE!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) So what kind of server options can we expect? Customization wise? Like....

Disable/allow [X] on [X] map.
Start credits [$XXXXXXX] on [X] map.
Time limit [X] on [X] map.
Only allow purchase of [X] after [X] time on [X] map.
Vehicle limit of [X] on [X] map.
Minor base defenses, turret/guard tower, can be rebuilt if main defense still functions.
Etc...

In-game options:
Disallow [PLAYER] from useing mines. (maybe they are being stupid with them?)
Disallow [PLAYER] from useing vehicles. (being stupid?)
Rock The Vote!

2) What about crates? Some servers just have the plain yellow $ box, others have the fun random crap box. What are you planning with that?

3) Why completely remake a game if your not going to change anything? I understand worries of keeping the "core game" the same but what about adding something extra in here and there? You often times refuse to add stuff in that everyone has always wanted in Renegade for no apparent reason.

4) Automatic updates [Y/N]?

5) Will pistols come pre-loaded?

6) Do you expect RenegadeX to be as played as the original?

7) Mine limits, I was thinking there should be a per-building type limit. Like allow so many mines for each building, but each building is not worth the same amount of mines. This would be on a per-map basis.

(Based on # of entrances.)
AGT +6 mines
Power Plant +12 mines
Barracks + 6/12 mines (has 2 doors but only one "entrance"?)
HON + 12
Airstrip + 6
Weapons Factory + 12
Ect...

Then add some more in consideration to stuff like:
Does the map have a tunnel system?
How large is the overall map?
Man-sized base entrances?
Etc...

It doesn't matter where the mines are, like they are not limited to being in a building, it just prevents things like.

GDI gets slight advantage because they only have one entrance to cover on the barracks.

C&C _Under
Not enough mines to cover all buildings properly. Wasted in tunnels.

C&C_Islands
Excess mines, usually put in stupid places like the water.

8) If a mine is on a wall is it going to stick out flat or go vertical?

9) Is there going to be a mine counter in the corner of the screen for any player holding mines?

10) Can the SBH get a butterfly knife that instantly kills enemy's with a back-stab?

11) Points system, shooting a harvester with a med tank rewards the player 5 points whereas shooting with a APC awards .25 per hit? Discuss.

12) Auto fire for repair gun?

QUOTE (epicelite @ Feb 6 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3) Why completely remake a game if your not going to change anything? I understand worries of keeping the "core game" the same but what about adding something extra in here and there? You often times refuse to add stuff in that everyone has always wanted in Renegade for no apparent reason.[/b]

Mostly we are not refusing adding new things, also we are discussing it with the community, WE have our own game designers, AND we will be making public betas to imporve the game! So this is far-fetched!!!

4) Automatic updates [Y/N]?[/b]

- maybe

5) Will pistols come pre-loaded?[/b]

lol... its UE3... not some old crap enigne..

6) Do you expect RenegadeX to be as played as the original?[/b]

we hope NOT, we hope to make it more popular. (if you mean the gameplay, I think there are huge changes when involving real physics -> PhysX)

7) Mine limits, I was thinking there should be a per-building type limit. Like allow so many mines for each building, but each building is not worth the same amount of mines. This would be on a per-map basis.[/b]

we stick to the ccr one until we have mode some more testing, also I think the host can set this later.

10) Can the SBH get a butterfly knife that instantly kills enemy's with a back-stab?[/b]

no

12) Auto fire for repair gun?[/b]

no, no AFK reprairing, if you play you need to be at your keyboard.

QUOTE (AkuKo @ Feb 6 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you add comment screen where you could read old comments? Comments in Renegade vanish so fast that usually i miss something important.[/b]

yeah sure, called chathistory.

Explain how that nuclear bomb or ion cannon beam gets into that tunnel, PLEASE![/b]

It doesn't need an explanation. I planted the beacon there, and that's where I expect it to go off. I don't care if it ends up not doing any damage, but it should go off. Regardless if it is realistic or not.

3) Why completely remake a game if your not going to change anything? I understand worries of keeping the "core game" the same but what about adding something extra in here and there? You often times refuse to add stuff in that everyone has always wanted in Renegade for no apparent reason.[/b]

Because... if they changed something, then they wouldn't be remaking it?

If something wasn't in the original Renegade, like a weapon or a game breaking unit ability, then it should not be in Renegade X. That means no auto-repair, no damaging dealing repairgun, no SBH knife, or anything else like that.

I'm not on their dev team, but it's really quite an obvious answer. They are remaking Renegade, not changing how it was played. Their goal is to remake Renegade on a new engine, fixing some slight bugs and implementing some new, non-game impacting abilities that weren't available in the old game. If they change the way the game's played, then they fail at that goal.