noobs be noobs - loading screen tips

-orca

I haven’t spend any time on this forum so this might be an old topic but I still wanted to make the suggestion;

There are plenty of new players who simply don’t understand  some key tactics/mechanics of the game. I could make a whole list but you probably know what I’m talking about.

For example; how players can repair/C4 the MCT, disarm mines and beacons, lock their vehicles, stealth mechanics, voting system, etc.

I know there is some basic information on a screen somewhere to be found but this is a lot on one page and easily overlooked.

My suggestion; more tips/hints on map loading screen , could be random, single tips or basic strategies, just something to enlighten the noobs

Edited by -orca
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, -orca said:

My suggestion;  tips/hints on map loading screen , could be random, single tips or basic strategies, just something to enlighten the noobs

1)Loading screen when loading main menu from desktop:20190606160219_1.jpg.28bf24c192cff94caf0fee374c228339.thumb.jpg.b2bdb580d4946dc0e48d84275d0c3513.jpg

2) When you load into any map, various tips appear over loading bar, usually 1 per loading screen(come on, could at least put 5-10 seconds timer). Probably overseen because of how fast PCs are these days except mine :(.

Could use some in-game pop up tool tips that appear with an Info (I) icon and that can be switched off in the menu settings later on. i.e. "Running or sprinting whilst stealthed makes you visible to the enemy.", whilst next to the MCT "disarm C4 charges with a repair gun/tool". etc. I also like the old information loading screens.

• Like 1

In all honesty loading tips would be a massive improvement over the tutorial that is in-game currently (which doesn't exist). If a tutorial is never going to come out though, loading tips would be an excellent idea. Write like 300+ tips that go into one specific detail of the game or its engine that are only learned through having experience. Like mining tips, sniping tips, infiltration tips, and so on.

A youtuber I'm subscribed has addressed this exact topic in one of his videos. He explains how TF2 has no useful tutorial whatsoever except for its loading tips. I implore you all to watch it as much of RenX can easily be applied to it.

While loading tips are not a replacement for a proper thought out tutorial, they are a great help to anyone who does not have the time to sit down and watch a 4 hour video of the deeper complexities of RenX and the UE3.

Hell, I'd write 100 useful tips for free if it were to be implemented in-game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:21 PM, Tytonium said:

Hell, I'd write 100 useful tips for free if it were to be implemented in-game.

I have a half finished word document with tips that i was planning on posting to the forums at some point. Stuff like buggies being able to drift by pressing the crouch button, "Q" targeting causing enemies to appear on the mini-map, and timed c4 having an infinite targeting range. even basic stuff like the upgrades veterancy gives you would be beneficial for new players.

And I completely agree that loading tips would be an easy and useful thing to implement.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 11/19/2020 at 12:37 AM, Cheesemonk said:

I have a half finished word document with tips that i was planning on posting to the forums at some point. Stuff like buggies being able to drift by pressing the crouch button, "Q" targeting causing enemies to appear on the mini-map, and timed c4 having an infinite targeting range. even basic stuff like the upgrades veterancy gives you would be beneficial for new players.

And I completely agree that loading tips would be an easy and useful thing to implement.

We already have loading tips on the loading map movie, it reads them all from a file. This list could be expanded, but currently basically no one reads the tips from what I can tell so I think the best idea would be moving it somewhere else, or just moving to a contextual help system, which is sort of what was described above. Little help menu displays different texts depending on what youre looking at, and you can turn it off

Spoiler
  • You can hamper enemy's credit collection rate by destroying their Harvester.
  • To get an extra speed boost, hold "Shift" to sprint.
  • You can purchase characters, vehicles, and weapons through the purchase menu.
  • Plant your C4s on the Master Control Terminal to deal extra damage to any building.
  • Some maps have tech buildings, look for a building with a flag.
  • To capture a tech building, find the Master Control Terminal and fire your repair gun at it until you neutralize and capture it.
  • Place Proximity C4s in bottle necks and between your base's entrances to prevent enemy infantry from infiltrating.
  • Engineers, Hotwire, and Technician carry a Repair gun that can repair vehicles, buildings, infantry armour, and can also disarm C4s and Super Weapon Beacons.
  • Crates are mystery boxes with prizes in them. Look for a floating spinning crate around the maps.
  • Be careful when picking up a crate because sometimes they can lead to your demise.
  • Sometimes going solo is not enough to take down the enemy. Organize rushes with various infantry and vehicles to strike in large volumes.
  • You can change the direction of the Airstrikes when zoomed in by holding down the fire button and moving your mouse.
  • Time your Airstrikes, because it takes a few seconds for it to get to the target.
  • Ion cannon and Nuclear Strike beacons have a point of no return when they are 10 seconds from impact. At this point you cannot disarm them with your Repair gun, and you should run!
  • Use the "Q" key to spot and mark enemy targets for your team. You can also use it to give appropriate radio commands.
  • Use CTRL, ALT or combine the two to see various radio commands that you can issue.
  • You can donate credits to your team mates by holding down CTRL and pressing D.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, Sarah. said:

We already have loading tips on the loading map movie, it reads them all from a file. This list could be expanded, but currently basically no one reads the tips from what I can tell so I think the best idea would be moving it somewhere else, or just moving to a contextual help system, which is sort of what was described above. Little help menu displays different texts depending on what youre looking at, and you can turn it off

I can't remember a single tip from the loading screens and I've played for years. Perhaps the information is so basic that it helps no one except the noobiest of noobs. Like, "the mct does more damage to buildings, therefore they make the best area of attack if terrorism is your hobby in real life." Not too helpful for normal players or pros. Maybe you could have a "tell me something" button that you press and it gives you a detailed tip about the game that is not common while being in-game. Like, "commander defensive buffs remove the ability of the enemy to EMP friendly vehicles" or "chem troopers sweet succulent squirts go through multiple enemies, making this weapon the best crowd control option for very close quarters". I bet if you threw it out there the forums could provide you with hundreds of obscure tips that could be used to help everyone, and not just people that have never played a shooter before.

• Totem Arts Staff

"chem troopers sweet succulent squirts go through multiple enemies, making this weapon the best crowd control option for very close quarters"

You can argue that this is also pretty trivial, probably even more so than the whole MCT stuff. You'd except gas weaponries to go through multiple enemies. To have it be able to get bodyblocked would be defying laws of physics

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, Gex_str said:

1)Loading screen when loading main menu from desktop:20190606160219_1.jpg.28bf24c192cff94caf0fee374c228339.thumb.jpg.b2bdb580d4946dc0e48d84275d0c3513.jpg

2) When you load into any map, various tips appear over loading bar, usually 1 per loading screen(come on, could at least put 5-10 seconds timer). Probably overseen because of how fast PCs are these days except mine :(.

This screen you're showing almost never shows up for me...I sort of thought it was a bug when it does...