Coronavirus - Assist the research with your PC

Suspiria

Dear Renegade-X community,

I know this is terribly off-topic but hear me out for a sec. please:

Our world's researchers could really use some more computational power to combat COVID-19.
Please consider contributing your spare CPU and/or GPU cycles. Let's build a nice grid for them.

You do not have to be a researcher to help.
Anyone can help. Every little bit will help.

Join Folding@Home (select "Any disease" for COVID-19)
  and/or
Join Rosetta@Home (join "Team COVID-19")

Both are a different research approach and are critically important in developing a cure.
Your computer will still be fast as the software works in the background with low priority.

Don't forget to assess your CPU temperatures; all cores should be less than 75C. (use www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/)
Any (technical) questions; bring them to me or ask them at the relevant grid computing fora.

Comment

Let's beat this thing.

Thank you, and good luck.

ExampleProject.png

CoronaVirus_.jpg

Edited by DugeHick
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Mystic~ said:

Can you confirm that this doesn't come with government/private spy-ware?

I have no idea how to prove that to you.

However my personal intuition is very clear about it and firmly shouts "negative, sir".
These are just researchers doing research. Also given the nature of everything being open-source.

If you really want to know for sure, it is certainly possible to look at the code and/or compile a client for yourself.
But you'd need to do that yourself; I don't have time for that now.

Your call.

• Like 2

I'm not really too worried about it and you shouldn't be either.

I'm willing to bet we are all going to get it because of its high infection rates and a good bit of countries have it spreading (including my own God blessed America). However the disease itself is nothing but a glorified flu. Look at the symptoms yourself. The people it kills are the very young and very old in under-developed nations. Media is eating this shit up, but it should really be of no concern to anyone. Flu's spread all the time.

Edited by Tytonium
  • Like 1

Well I signed up with the Rosetta@Home so I hope it works, haven't participated in anything like this before. I think viruses exist for spiritual reasons, similar to many diseases, I believe it forces people to change something that just isn't compatible with living here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tytonium said:

I'm willing to bet we are all going to get it because of its high infection rates and a good bit of countries have it spreading (including my own God blessed America). However the disease itself is nothing but a glorified flu. Look at the symptoms yourself. The people it kills are the very young and very old in under-developed nations. Media is eating this shit up, but it should really be of no concern to anyone. Flu's spread all the time.

Young and old people are the most likely to die. But people of all age groups and medical care availability have died, including several doctors. Just ask yourself: how lethal is the ordinary flu for children and the elderly? And how lethal is this one?

The biggest problem with Corona is how it has little symptoms with many people who spread the disease unknowingly, and its hyper agressive at other people who might die from it. And while it is unlikely, the unfortunate truth is that any one of us could still die from it. When I get home from vacation I'll definitely get my pc working on this.

The problems start when the usual 50-60% of society are sick all at once.
Fact that young people are relatively safe from dying, doesn't mean they shouldn't stay in bed.

Yes it's true that this virus is "only" 20 times as deadly as ordinary flu.

But those numbers are with appropriate, well-fitted health care.
IF the health care systems are overloaded x1000, it may well be the worst day in a doctor's life.

It is our duty to at least slow the spread, if we can.

Recovered patients will form an immunity barrier.
If each of us only infects 0.8 others we can prevent it from coming all over us in one apocalyptic wave.

We know from history that it's possible to "dam" a virus, at which point it really does goes away for a while.
Giving us some breathing room. (...)

Only to suddenly come back with a vengeance.
... which however is not going to happen if enough of society has been vaxxed against it in time.

SARS-CoV-2 will meet herd immunity when ~85% have been vaccinated OR cured. (regular influenza = 40%)
Once herd immunity is reached, COVID-19 will rapidly die down and disappear "for good".

We may have to keep vaccinating new generations, as these viruses will still circulate among wild animals.
Until hopefully at some point we'll understand these things well enough to find an actual cure. Possibly in the next 50 years.

So for now I'd say: let's dam it, slow it down, and work on those vaccines.
And reach herd immunity with a low death count.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:41 PM, Mystic~ said:

Well I signed up with the Rosetta@Home so I hope it works, haven't participated in anything like this before. I think viruses exist for spiritual reasons, similar to many diseases, I believe it forces people to change something that just isn't compatible with living here.

I think so too.

The human species is statistically speaking a plague to the planet.
And at some point nature will attempt to "take measures" to restore balance.

But that's not science. It's just a feeling/belief I've had since I was a little kid. :)

Thank you for signing up!
You're welcome to join Team COVID-19. We are with 15 now.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tytonium said:

I'm taking COVID-19 very seriously.
I think we should all grab this opportunity to practice for worse.
The next virus could carry the infectiousness of SARS-CoV-2 and the deadliness of Marburg.

It's nice to have a people educated and better prepared to contain it.
If you really want to condense that into "worrying" go right ahead and then turn left. But I don't think that's what you ment.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tytonium said:

I wouldn't call Italy underdeveloped and about 4% of the infected ppl died so far there. You can check it here: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

Folding@Home is now fully operational and distributing SARS-CoV-2 workloads.
Due to the urgent nature, documentation always follows workload distribution thus may at some point be unavailable.

If you're getting other numbers than above range, input them in this box: https://apps.foldingathome.org/project

If it says "unspecified", or nothing at all: it's for COVID-19.
Anything that is not clearly documented to be for anything else can be safely assumed to be so aswell.

Keep up the good work!
You're helping thousands. ❤️

• limsup pinned this topic

UpdateDue to batshit crazy success, Folding@Home is now usually out of work units.  /APPLAUSE
There is now more grid processing power than there is research.

Supercomputers cannot beat this kind of infrastructure! It is really a myth.
They're not quite compatible and at the end of the day orders of magnitude slower than our collective grid. Not to mention expensive.

For you diehards I recommend installing both Rosetta and F@H and setting F@H to have slightly higher priority in advanced settings menu.
If you tell Rosetta to only run at <40% CPU load, then it will automatically take over when F@H is out of WU's again.

Cure's on its way. Let's keep it up!

• Like 1

Great!

I've been doing work on FAHViewer as it kind of broke in the last patch.
Instead of showing you a demo proteïn it now actually connects to the WU's and will show you what's actually happening inside the core.

Also I've made some performance tweaks and there will be an official release soon.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, Demigan said:

I'm on Folding@Home now. Thought it would be appropriate to watch some origami on my phone while it happens ;)

Yeah it's kind of advanced origami.

You can also use your brain instead of your PC.
Are you smarter than your computer?

Edited by DugeHick
  • Like 1

We at Folding@Home have now surpassed 1 exaflops.
That is five times the world's fastest supercomputer, which is the Summit from Oak Ridge National Laboratory @ a mere 200 petaflops.

We are killing it.
And I can say "we", because that's just the way this works.

One more thing: if you want to support both the Rosetta project aswell as F@H, this can be fully automated.
To do so, follow these instructions:

Spoiler

Open up F@H "Advanced Control" from the tray icon.
Configure -> Advanced -> Folding Core Priority, set this to "Slightly higher"

Now open up BOINC manager -> Computing preferences -> Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above X%"
Set this to 25% or 40% so that Rosetta will turn off when and as long as F@H has WU's.

Thanks again, and I wish y'all a good health.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Agent unpinned this topic