AllNoobs Server Introduction & Feedback

NodSaibot

• Totem Arts Staff

Hi guys, for all that played with us on our first day, thank you for being with us. Hope you all had fun. If there's any feedback you guys have from our first day, please let us know here and we will see what I can do to improve all of our experiences.

I know the lag got a bit wonky at the end, I believe that was due to the server running out of actor channels, which causes weird replication issues. I believe this is some sort of memory leak in the game itself, and we are investigating it now.

Are there any new colours you would like added to the custom vehicle colours? Let us know here, with a RGB code if possible.

The attached file is our goal, vision and plan for the server. It contains our rules and any extra info you need to know. I highly recommend giving it a quick read!

-- Euan & Sarah

AllNoobsCommunity.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

these colours are amazing ❤️ 
i've loved to see all these pink Nod tanks :) 
i don't need lot of incredible stuff to be happy, have pink stanks is already enough for my sweet heart ^_^ 
unknown.png

now i'm dreaming about pink SBHs and pink sakura - with pink clothes and pink-haired :D  

• Like 3

It's refreshing to see someone taking real initiative to try to address the problems they see everyday, and trying to improve the RenX community. Thank you.

I am curious about a few things though, and I imagine others might be as well:

• What are your long term plans for this?
  • Are you trying to make a gaming community, or are you strictly trying to setup a new RenX server?
  • Is there any chance you might consider a US server?
  • Are you planning to continue the trend of servers with 64 max players, or is there a chance you might setup your server splitting mutator?
  • Based on the fact that you actually wrote server rules, it seems like you'll be trying to actively moderate the server -- are you actively recruiting moderators, or are you just hand-picking them?
  • In plainer terms, how does your server's moderation policy compare to say FPI or CT (stricter? more lenient?)?
  • I noticed there's some modifications on the server when playing today; are you planning on additional changes in the future?
  • Since you have a thread open about custom content, will custom levels be added to the server?
  • What else will set this server apart from FPI and CT?

As far as general feedback goes, I'm not sure how I feel about the replacement to the restart map vote. It's interesting, but can be very frustrating when it passes because people think it's a joke survey. I'm also not sure if it adds much value beyond showing off that reviving buildings is possible. In some ways it seems worse than the restart map vote option, since veterancy and such is retained, so it's not a true restart. The client-side tank colors are also a neat little twist.

I didn't actually notice these in-game, but in your PDF there's some bits about community moderation through votes. It's really neat to see these getting expanded, such as the ability to vote mute a player. It might not be a bad idea to pull a couple of these changes into the base game at some point if they prove successful. Are you going to be actively monitoring the usage of these votes though for abuse?

This vote option to stop surveys for 30 minutes seems really great, but as was shown in-game earlier, it's still possible for people to spam other votes (such as the revive buildings one). Is there any chance the change map cooldown could be added to be revive buildings vote?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

revive buildings is really a nice option :)  it allows players to have a second chance to correctly defend their base, it's a nice idea ^_^ yesterday on Field GDI team quickly lost his WF and a revive building vote passed to rebuild WF - but Nod won without real difficulty :P

• Downvote 2

• Totem Arts Staff

I honestly don't like the idea of a restore all buildings vote. In my opinion that you loose acess to some purchase options after a building got destroyed is an important part of the game. Also a vote like that is pretty unfair. For example if GDI looses the WF and rebuilds it with a vote and afterwards Nod is loosing the airstrip and the vote does not pass, it is like GDI got an extra building, which can be a huge advantage. It is also pretty frustrating to see, that a building you have just destroyed with hard work just got rebuild and you can start at the beginnig again, especially if the enemy team wins because of that revive afterwards . Matches in RenX are often long enough, we don't need to make them even longer with such possibilities. But of course it is a nice idea, especially when bar or Hon is destroyed, because without them, the game is literally unplayable xD .

But I appreciate your engagement to give RenX a even better playing experience.

Edited by Luhrian
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Luhrian said:

In my opinion that you loose acess to some purchase options after a building got destroyed is an important part of the game.

yes, and it's (at my opinion) a good and a bad part in same time
good part cuz you must take a look to your defenses
bad part cuz if your fav gamestyle is tank and you lose WF... F. if your fav gamestyle is sydney/gunner or sniper and you lose BAR... F. if your fav gamestyle is sneak and you lose HON... F.
i think i'm not alone to be annoyed when i lose the building who allows me to play what i love - for me it's BAR/HON -
i can play as tank but urg.. i'm so bad as tank 😅  i can't properly drive without be stucked in all the fkin trees and rocks on a flat and clear area :D

58 minutes ago, Luhrian said:

For example if GDI looses the WF and rebuilds it with a vote and afterwards Nod is loosing the airstrip and the vote does not pass, it is like GDI got an extra building, which can be a huge advantage. It is also pretty frustrating to see, that a building you have just destroyed with hard work just got rebuild and you can start at the beginnig again, especially if the enemy team wins because of that revive afterwards . Matches in RenX are often long enough, we don't need to make them even longer with such possibilities.

i agree with you on one part: if you can destroy a building after a huge and epic doza rush with 20 guys, of course revive building vote is annoying. but if you can revive a building in a 15v15 game after a sneaky boy destroy it - i.e. WF or PP in base defense maps - or if you can revive a building after a early rush - like offi rush in REF in Field - i think it's fair
of course, if enemy team lose a bldng and rebuild it, if you lose a bldng but vote doesn't pass.. it will be really frustrating
but what in RenX isn't frustrating? :)  the "building" gameplay is make to be frustrating - if you lose BAR, next game you will more take care about BAR because you will spend 30 mins last game to be offi vs dozas and it will annoy u so hardly than you will camp BAR for entire next game :P  (naaah it's not at all my experience image.png.a69b5a490d8fbf96a32ee076cccc2dc9.png )

matches in RenX can be long. yea, sometimes we play ~ 2 hours on Under. It's the longest games on RenX. as fun fact, i still remember a 7hour long game on Under - it was like 2 or 3 years ago
but sometimes we have short games, like 20 mins on Islands cuz early gre rush at AIR, then mrls med spam at REF and GG
usually, games are around 50 mins (i think, i haven't stats) but i don't think it's really long - if you compare to other FPS/TPS ofc it's long, but if team balance is good, map is interesting to play and you have a lot of money and all your buildings, it can be for 2 hours i'm sure most players will still enjoy :) 

I've actually been a big supporter of being able to restore buildings, granted with some form of price / cost -- not sure a vote system is the best way to go about it. In any case its something fresh and new that the other servers are not offering and i'm interested to see how everyone takes to it.

• Downvote 1

• Totem Arts Staff
7 hours ago, Agent said:

What are your long term plans for this?

Depends on how you define long term. 6-12 months? None.

7 hours ago, Agent said:

Are you trying to make a gaming community, or are you strictly trying to setup a new RenX server?

We have no plans for expanding outside of RenX at the moment.

7 hours ago, Agent said:

Is there any chance you might consider a US server?

We would like to cater to the entire community, which includes the late night US playerbase. We think a US server would be great.

7 hours ago, Agent said:

Are you planning to continue the trend of servers with 64 max players, or is there a chance you might setup your server splitting mutator?

We believe that 64 players servers are better for the short term health of RenX, but not for the long term. We would prefer to find an alternative solution

7 hours ago, Agent said:

Based on the fact that you actually wrote server rules, it seems like you'll be trying to actively moderate the server -- are you actively recruiting moderators, or are you just hand-picking them?

We believe that moderators should be willing to perform their duties, so it would be preferable if they would apply or ask themselves. Notwithstanding, we do have high standards and we have an internal document for moderators to follow. This means that we will not be accepting people we do not trust and do not think will have a positive influence on the game & community. Some of the reasons why we plan on adding more voting options is to take some load off of the moderators' backs, as I personally know how heavy it can get. Moderators are expected to handle things while in-game, but they shouldn't have to completely stop what they are doing. We are all playing the game to have fun, and that shouldn't be completely taken away just because someone is a moderator.

7 hours ago, Agent said:

In plainer terms, how does your server's moderation policy compare to say FPI or CT (stricter? more lenient?)?

To a certain extent, it can be stricter, as we do plan on enforcing our policies actively. However not every policy is actively enforced by the mod team, and some of it could be considered as the communities responsibility to use the new vote options to deal with it.

From the pdf file, "We believe each player has a fair responsibility to maintain and uphold a clean and fun environment for all." The tools provided for the community are enhanced on AllNoobs.

7 hours ago, Agent said:

I noticed there's some modifications on the server when playing today; are you planning on additional changes in the future?

We plan on making some more changes, all of this is outlined in the pdf. It will be contained mostly to vote options and fun/aesthetic changes such as vehicle colours and extra sounds. Some other changes we have made on the config side are to smooth out gameplay. I have been testing and tweaking some options to increase stability under high load. Also things such as higher start credits -- we think that it just helps increase map duration, which usually ends up in better gameplay.

7 hours ago, Agent said:

Since you have a thread open about custom content, will custom levels be added to the server?

No, adding custom levels usually negatively impacts the player count.

7 hours ago, Agent said:

What else will set this server apart from FPI and CT?

We aim to be a community driven server, with emphasis on providing a consistent, stable home for the Renegade X community.

3 hours ago, Luhrian said:

I honestly don't like the idea of a restore all buildings vote. In my opinion that you loose acess to some purchase options after a building got destroyed is an important part of the game.

After I saw the way it was used yesterday, I think a tweak could be applied. This is purposefully replacing the restart map vote option, as this is usually done after a building dies early. Perhaps it could be locked after a certain time has elapsed in the match, or the vote percent required to pass could be increased, so it is harder to pass.

8 hours ago, Agent said:

I didn't actually notice these in-game, but in your PDF there's some bits about community moderation through votes. It's really neat to see these getting expanded, such as the ability to vote mute a player. It might not be a bad idea to pull a couple of these changes into the base game at some point if they prove successful. Are you going to be actively monitoring the usage of these votes though for abuse?

Not all have been implemented yet, and yes we will be monitoring for abuse. In the pdf, there is a section under the server rules for this exact thing.

8 hours ago, Agent said:

It's interesting, but can be very frustrating when it passes because people think it's a joke survey.

It will take a bit of time until people realize it's a real vote option, but increasing the amount needed to pass should help this issue.

8 hours ago, Agent said:

Is there any chance the change map cooldown could be added to be revive buildings vote?

Yes that can be added.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

It would be so freaking dope if we could pick our own personal color of SBH, LCG, and mobious weapon colors. I get that could be confusing so I would make it so that the colors only apply at Heroic Rank.

Cmon, you know you wanna have a squad of SBH with one each having a different color of a rainbow.

• Like 4

• Totem Arts Staff

Interesting ideas being put forward, I like the inventiveness!!

the biggest issue I see with the "restore buildings" option is, I think it's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb - it won't do jack...

I do like the idea of a team being able to potentially work towards a single building being revived (be it through use of CP or a pool of credits), so I like the intention put in place, just maybe the execution needs tweaking.

• Like 3

Some people may take the restore building vote as a joke first but I think this will go away in a short time after most people realised it's an actual vote. It should be enabled only for the start though when a building dies like 2 minutes into the game, making people leave.

12 hours ago, Agent said:

so it's not a true restart.

it's not supposed to be a complete true restart cause nobody wants that, otherwise restart map votes would actually pass which they dont like 90% of the time.

Is there any chance the change map cooldown could be added to be revive buildings vote?

Shouldn't be a problem to add, though I could also think of limiting to a one time use, since it's originally just intended for the early game anyway.

• Like 1

Loving the feedback from this thread, thanks guys.

The Restore Building vote was initially designed to be used in a situation where a building is killed early game (particularly on maps where people want it to last more than 5 minutes) 
Restart map votes were usually called in this situation, but it's quite rare that they ever passed.

The main reason for this is because the team that killed the building loses out on all the money and VP gained, plus the time they put into it. 

The Restore Building vote solves this because the team that destroyed the building still have the edge over the map in terms of money & VP, but the losing team still has a fair chance to make a comeback.
As said, 

3 hours ago, roweboat said:

the biggest issue I see with the "restore buildings" option is, I think it's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb - it won't do jack...

I do like the idea of a team being able to potentially work towards a single building being revived (be it through use of CP or a pool of credits), so I like the intention put in place, just maybe the execution needs tweaking.

I do agree that it probably won't turn the tide in the majority of games - but for a short number games there will be an epic uno reverse card because of it and I think they're the most enjoyable matches - not least for the memes that fill the endgame chatbox.  nod won? wat

With that in mind, implementing it as a game mechanic rather than a balancing tool (where it would require a credit pool cost etc) would upset the purpose we have given to it here on our server.
Since there already is a "cost" of the restore building vote. The fact that the other team now has an edge in money + vp for the beginning of the match. 
Any further punishment will just entail a steam-roll as violent as if there was no building in the first place.

But yes, it certainly needs tweaking. I was also thinking about locking the vote after 15 minutes of a match. And it unlocks again after surrender, just so the winning team can show a little bit of mercy and restore their buildings for the final attack. If they so choose.  

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

Maybe give the team if it has destroyed a building and it got revived a VP boost, like 40 VP or something, which provides them combined with the VP from the building destruction a nice advantage to remain the upper hand. At the same time this will provide the team, which lost a building, a possibility for a comeback without having an unfair advantage against the other team.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, TheParachuteOpening said:

US or Canada server

Canadian players known: 😂

@Havoc89

@Gliven

@[NE]Fobby[GEN] 

@Xtractor

@shpetim

xD

Setting up a US server, it's ready to go just need to get the server put into a datacenter. Will probably be a few days to a few weeks.

• Totem Arts Staff

Tonight will be updating our server:

• Adding a ragequit sound effect (leaving within 10 seconds of one of your buildings dying, plays to entire server)
  • Added rainbow colour for vehicles, updated green to be more green, added black (looks horrible imo)
  • Added revive building to "map related" votes, so spam is less, disabled them after 15 minutes and changed the percent to pass from 20% (most votes are this) to 50%.
  • Added a popup that appears when you first spawn (pressing NO will disconnect you from the server, read it at least once please :) )
  • Misc optimization changes

rainbow.gif.cde254bb2a5655c441638d9168493bf0.gif

image.thumb.png.58745e9cc1099157abfccbe5f8d6783b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How about.... change the vote to "Rebuild bases".

When this option is voted, from that point on every destroyed building gets its own (visibly present) 35 min. rebuild timer.

In this way there is actually incentive to finish off the enemy a.s.a.p. when your team is progressing, other than just wanting to "get on with it".
It is C&C-like, because the other player/AI always quickly rebuilt their base and you better moved on them HARD.

In this way, it's NOT going to be this pathetic "we lost already, just finish it plz!!! come on!!!!!!" situation.
.. all the while noone really c.b.a. to organize that last rush to actually do so.

So no sitting back and torturing the enemy into boredom. Your team has to move in NOW.

Because otherwise the new mission for the enemy would become:
"Hold them off for another 15 and then we get HoN and Strip back and then we'll hit them hard since we have lots and lots of credits now."

It brings back some more of the Real Time Strategy feels.
And possibly brings even more intensity to Renegade-X. Way more.

So I guess we'd also have to start including a nice construction yard on new maps then. ...But one thing at a time.

• Like 4

• Totem Arts Staff
1 minute ago, BeLlSiBuB said:

How do I change my Tank colour from rainbow to the default please?

You'll have to set the colour to something then to rainbow. This bug should be fixed tomorrow. Apologies.

setcolour gdi blue
setcolour gdi default

setcolour nod blue
setcolour nod default