Why is old Field back in rotation?

Quinc3y

Some of the people who have been playing Ren X for a while probably know about my hatred towards old Field and how I often lose my shit when playing this disaster of a map.

I don't want to dive into the reasons why old Field is a tragically bad map, I've already written about it once on this forum 2.5 years ago, but let's just say that it combines about every bad aspect of Renegade maps: it's too small, imbalanced, has 2 tight choke points for vehicles in front of each base, you literally cannot sneak in now that somebody put walls around each building, it's boring and a camp-fest. 

The new Field (Field X) eliminates almost all of these problems and I honestly think it's one of the better maps in the game. Replacing old Field with this one was honestly a big step forward.

Yet, not long ago (?), somebody made the decision that old Field (with additional walls around buildings to make it even worse) should be brought back to the map rotation, at least on CT. WHY? 😡

Even worse, people (let's face it - mostly newbies and people liking to farm kills in tunnels) keep voting for this map in the peak evening EU hours. I'm all for democracy and stuff, but holy shit, not in this case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Guest once upon the time

Is it a real question or more frustration?

Some ppl like old Field some hate old field, you must deal with it. Sometimes old field can be a horror :)

I know you will not like my comment, but i could ask for example : Why is Paradise not in rotation ( I love this map)?

I accept that only one little server take it in his rotation.

regards

• Totem Arts Staff

Well, about Paradise, I don't think it's really designed or optimized to be a regular playable map, so there's that.

About Field, it's better for smaller player counts, which are more common recently actually. I was going to get around to making a mutator that allowed maps to be removed from voting rotation after the server reached a specific player count, but I never got around to it.  I think it would help stop 64 players on Field.

Guest once upon the time

With Paradise was only an example from my side and i dont wanna switch this to a Paradise Threat😉

I've a different opinion in this.

You are absolut right with 64 ppl on field you can start a field party , but not really play.

Field is a great map. It used to be a 2-4 hour marathon in Beta3 when we did not have veterency, commanders and lastly EMPs were much more powerful. I recall a match that lasted over 3 hours because even a full 10 flamer rush wouldn't work due to a few EMPs.

The original Field X was well made, I don't mean to shit on the countless hours spent by the map maker.

However the original Field X was one of the worst designs, significantly worse than you claim for original Field. At least in Field, each team is capable of defending themselves. Even if locked in their base you can rack up credits/points on repairs, throw EMPs, drop cruise missles/airstrikes and smokes and rush the opposing enemy.

In original Field X, it was completely fucking open. First team to get Artys/MRLS wins. You can get sniped from all over your own base. You get bombarded by tanks at front entrance, behind bunker, behind the rock at the bunker, the bridge, between bridge and bunker, behind the PP route rock and behind the rock at the opening of the PP route/infront of bunker. It was fucked up. That map led to so many more ragequits than any other map. Not to mention all the tunnels facing your base! I guarantee we lost countless newcommers because they spawned in Field X  and couldn't do anything.

With Commander powers & delayed EMP, it is not that hard to get push back tanks at entrance in original field. The reason you get frustrated playing Field is due to the fact that Field requires that you keep tanks nearly full. If you end up on a stacked team of good inf players who hardly ever buy tanks, then you are going to lose. Which ever team is stacked with players who actually buy tanks and participate in rushes will win. 

Field X v2 isn't as bad as Field X v1. I still prefer original field, but I have no qualms against Field X V2. Just never bring back Field X V1.

• Like 1

Not surprised you're making this thread after yesterday's Nod defeat with you in command and how you were frustrated😝

People have different opinions and some prefer Field is better than many maps in the rotation. Yes, it does have all those bad elements like you said, but it also has its merits. I think the main problem comes from the overpowered Mammoth tanks and broken veterancy in general. I may be wrong, but 2-3 Black Hands with laser chainguns working with a Raveshaw and airstrikes failing to destroy even 1 mammoth on Elite (being repaired off course) makes me think that at least.

I like Field but it is nowhere near the best map. I usually vote for Field to prevent maps like Hourglass, Cliff Side, and Sunrise to get more votes.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest once upon the time

When i was reading the complete Topic i must smile , because remember me to these two guys .

It should be not misunderstood that I laugh at you.

Fact is that everyone has his own favorite maps. In B3 we was max. 40 player on field (hugh difference).

I take it like this guys with humor.

image.thumb.png.139fb827f7bb372904f3fedf7058f39b.png

10 hours ago, vandal33 said:

Not surprised you're making this thread after yesterday's Nod defeat with you in command and how you were frustrated😝

Hehe, yeah this is obviously somewhat personal, but it's not only that game that led me to writing this. Trust me, I've played a lot of old Field back in the days. Plus the reasons I gave for why old Field is so bad are objective, I guess. I mean, sure people can enjoy the weirdest things...

Who are you in-game btw, vandal?

And yes @TheOlsenTwins, I agree old Field is much more playable in low player counts... but it's still bad. Field X works well even at 30v30, imo.

Depending on the number of players,Field is actually a good map,most of the current maps are a clusterfuck with 64 players,imho Field X could use a redesign,even if it had to become a largely different map than field.

Some maps like field,that drag on for too long on marathon servers,are better off being AOW maps (timed matches),I don't know if such a thing is even possible,having some certain maps being timed on a marathon server,would be cool to have the possibility to win by high score once every 4-5 matches(and not boring people to death on one map),seeing as Timed match servers are dead right now,though I can understand people not liking that with the game being all about destroying the enemy base.

• Totem Arts Staff
2 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Ah, that one. That was ages ago?

I wasn't a fan of it, no. New Mesa is better.

Then u gonna hate Mesa after next patch... we're switching over to old Mesa... again

Reason is that it's an unbalanced map these days 

• Sad 1

On 10/11/2018 at 4:34 AM, RustyShackleford said:

In original Field X, it was completely fucking open. First team to get Artys/MRLS wins. You can get sniped from all over your own base. You get bombarded by tanks at front entrance, behind bunker, behind the rock at the bunker, the bridge, between bridge and bunker, behind the PP route rock and behind the rock at the opening of the PP route/infront of bunker. It was fucked up. That map led to so many more ragequits than any other map. Not to mention all the tunnels facing your base! I guarantee we lost countless newcommers because they spawned in Field X  and couldn't do anything.

So players being overcome by change = voting for safespace OldField? 

Pretty sure newcomers joining a game of OldField peaking 55+ players are going to peacefully quit when any advance they try is thwarted because Base entrance = death, tunnel ent 1 = death, tunnel ent 2 = death. 

Okay, the three options they had are pointless - coolgame; quitting.

Field, Field X - Hourglass, Horologue. 

Maybe we need an second Volcano and Canyon at this point...

Anywho... anybody who shits on Under but bums Field is a moron. 

• Totem Arts Staff

I think we should stick to one variant of maps. I'm a bit against the fact of Horologue - Hourglass since we got Whiteout, which is the official remake of Hourglass... Why do we need another one?

Snow and Snow X? Like Snow more, but then for 8v8 games. Field and Field X are a tough one. I mean everyone was okay with Field before Field X became a thing. Now we have the situation that some people like Field and some Field X. I personally would go for Field.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TK0104 said:

official remake of Hourglass

Who anointed it to that status? Also Hourglass and Whiteout are pretty different maps, both in visuals and in mechanics...

Snow X doesn't seem to have achieved much popularity, regardless of Henk re-designing it...

Field and Field-X... I like both, just please don't vote them in in succession :D 

23 people voting in Hourglass, after Whiteout :P

Spoiler

Hourglass.thumb.jpg.423366b1b9e6ebc0d91a18e028c745a7.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, TK0104 said:

m a bit against the fact of Horologue - Hourglass since we got Whiteout, which is the official remake of Hourglass... Why do we need another one?

Whiteout and Hourglass don't play alike though. Save for there being a hill, when Hourglass is voted, I still do the same thing most people in Black Cell did when Hourglass got voted in OldRen: 

Leave. 

• Haha 1

It definitely isn't like Whiteout was originally dubbed "Hourglass II" or anything.

Rx_HourglassII_01.jpg

Rx_HourglassII_02.jpg

Rx_HourglassII_03.jpg

Rx_HourglassII_04.jpg

It isn't a pure remake of Hourglass, but it was definitely intended to be the official version of Hourglass. I certainly tend to agree that we shouldn't be maintaining and publishing duplicate versions of the same levels. We don't need faithful recreations in addition to the revisioned/improved versions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Agent said:

We don't need faithful recreations in addition to the revisioned/improved versions.

So, if I understand it right: every map that has a hill in the middle and 0 to 2 side paths is therefore Whiteout, and a happy conscript was given monopoly on that? :D 

Regardless of Hourglass not having helis, having different paths, being less porous, having reinforcements and a mechanism similar to Ruud's EMP Cannon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, limsup said:

So, if I understand it right: every map that has a hill in the middle and 0 to 2 side paths is therefore Whiteout, and a happy conscript was given monopoly on that? :D 

Regardless of Hourglass not having helis, having different paths, being less porous, having reinforcements and a mechanism similar to Ruud's EMP Cannon

Whiteout is Hourglass revised... So its allowed to have other things despite being founded on Hourglass originally. 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Simply reskin Horologue with a desert theme, open the two side paths for vehicle paths and boom! Hourglass discussion over XD

(seriously though why aren't there more desert themed levels. Canyon is one of the few that haven't been assaulted by global cooling or warming)