Ongoing: RenX Ad Campaign

TomUjain

Hello guys, using this thread to keep you all posted on the updates of the ad campaign. I will be running as of the 30th July 2018. This campaign will be funded by the monthly budget used in the FPI prize draw. It will run indefinitely and will be focused on the following areas;

• Google Adwords (30% of the budget)
  • YouTube Video ads (40% of the budget)
  • Facebook ads (10% of the budget)
  • Content creaters i.e. Bloggers / YT (10% of the budget)
  • Promotional and/or giveaways (10% of the budget)

Figures placed with the current default budget expect to bring in between 500 - 2,000 clicks with roughly 10% of those becoming players and 5% of those becoming regular players. For every addidonal £1, we expect between 3 - 5 addional clicks and between 1 - 2 downloads.

The cost of the marketing manager, as well as a £80 a month ad budget will be absorbed by me -- any addional donations will go stright into the next monthly budget. All stats and figures will be posted here every week on Friday for everyone to see where / what the money was spent on.

The goal of this campaign;

• Bring in new players to fill more servers
  • Spread awareness of the game
  • Bring in new coders / developers / map and, or content creaters

Anyone wishing to donate to this campaign as a one off, or monthly may do so -- regardless, the default amount will always be £80 per month, with donations for that month added on the following month (if applyable). I will be using my buisness account for this setup which is currently set up to be funded by my debit card for the default of £80 a month anything else left over will also be added to the budget.

PayPal Address: [email protected]

Stats

Spoiler

Stats for: 30th July to 3rd Aug 2018

(placeholder)

Stats for: 4th Aug to 10th Aug 2018

(placeholder)

Stats for: 11th Aug to 17th Aug 2018

(placeholder)

Stats for: 18th Aug to 24th Aug 2018

(placeholder)

Stats for: 25th Aug to 31st Aug 2018

(placeholder)

Edited by TomUjain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Totem Arts Staff
12 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

...who works voluntarily and receives no actual mediocre salary whatsoever from this thin-air "£80"? 

He's not paid from the 80. 

The cost of the marketing manager, as well as a £80 a month ad budget will be absorbed by me

From my understanding, they've worked together before and know each other. This isn't a full-time job, so there's no real need for a "real salary". It's more like a consultation. 

As Sarah said, the marketing manger is mine -- who I use for Eco-Earth (my company) their buisness can be found here. It is roughly £450 a month, plus the £80 monthly ad budget added on -- plus any additonal donations. The FPI server (currently £70 a month) is also paid for, by me -- but I am not accepting donations for that and don't plan to in the future either.

just to be clear this is coming out of my pocket -- the £80 budget was once part of the FPI prize draw but as very few people were exchanging points I opted to put that money to better use here. I am doing this to try and help RenX, as I see a lot of wasted potential and feel a well manged ad campagn is what renx needs to plug 1) the player gap and 2) to bring in new talent.

I do not expect any donations for the ad campagn; but the option remains for anyone who wants to drop anything towards it -- just to be clear all the data I get from my 'agency' (aka manager) will be posted here every week for the community to see. This will include total clicks, cost per click, downloads, views etc... etc...

Edited by TomUjain
  • Like 1

What would be? 

• Google Adwords
  • YouTube Video ads
  • Facebook ads

Because personally, I think those ads are the worse. I always get a fake/scam/pay-to-win feeling with those game adds. You need to think carefully about how to present an ad like that because other games already ruined it (Mostly those pay-to-win mobile shit). But I am no expert. 

No one ever tried to get this game on more websites like:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-free-fps-games/

https://www.mmobomb.com/games/shooter

http://gameranx.com/features/id/12038/article/top-10-best-free-fps-games/

What about streamers? Even if they only have just a few watchers, it will grow exponentially right? 😃 

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, Moat said:

What would be? 

• Google Adwords
  • YouTube Video ads
  • Facebook ads

Because personally, I think those ads are the worse. I always get a fake/scam/pay-to-win feeling with those game adds. You need to think carefully about how to present an ad like that because other games already ruined it (Mostly those pay-to-win mobile shit). But I am no expert. 

No one ever tried to get this game on more websites like:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-free-fps-games/

https://www.mmobomb.com/games/shooter

http://gameranx.com/features/id/12038/article/top-10-best-free-fps-games/

What about streamers? Even if they only have just a few watchers, it will grow exponentially right? 😃 

Are you telling me Triple A titles dont advertise on YouTube?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

A quick update; number 1) I apologies for the lack of updates regarding the renx campaign, between learning how to fly in my spare time, learning C++, my full time job and full time business as well as regular travel and meetings my time is extremely limited and I am always kept on my toes.

With that said, things are on the way -- and from the data; it appears that adwords / Google ads are doing very poor; but the YT advertising seems to look promising and has brought in a few leads. I have no current way of checking what happens to the traffic when it hits the renx download page (on the forums) but judging from reports, it appears the download exe is broken? When I get a chance, i'll check on my laptop.

My marketing manager recommend I record the data on the 'landing page' aka download page via hotjar (www.hotjar.vom) which records a video 'snapshot' of everyone who lands on that page. I also think it would be beneficial to have a proper, and professional landing page as an example:

Example of a landing page for RenX

Without a proper landing page then the results from this ad campaign will be extremely underdeveloped and we would lose a lot of potential. I can develop something similar to the above, but my plate is very full atm so it may take a long time to get the ball rolling -- I would permission to upload the hotjar code / tracking code / add landing page to the www.renegade-x.com domain.

@everyone If anyone has any good ideas for an 'official' landing page -- or could design one for us, please let me know. For the sake of time; I believe that the FPI website designed by @taisho with the map shots -- overlay-ed with a download link and a short few lines about the game would be enough for our needs.

@yosh56 Would the dev team be OK with us having an offical landing page on this website for marketing? (See above link)

Edited by TomUjain
  • Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

The current website we use that Tom was talking about is this. It just shows the current map (slideshow of a few images of that map) being played with player count. I could easily change it to something else with a few small changes. Could even just use videos for the backgrounds of some cool moments and good rushes etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, late update.

Ryz has set up a landing page -- which I'll be using as the main source of traffic for the ads. I've been trialing the ads over the last month and 1/2 and managed to drive some new blood to the community; roughly 0.5% of the traffic is turning into new players; not ver efficent -- this works out at about 2 - 4 players a month, at £91 a month I think we can do a lot better. Over the next few months I'll be testing and refining the ads to try and bring that number upto around 15%.

renx_ad_data_1.jpg

renx_data_2.jpg

renx_data_3.jpg

Ren_X_data_4.jpg

• Like 3

I've never seen anyone actually clicking on a video gsme ad or even spending the time to look it up. Imo web/mobile ads only makes people want to play it less.

There's also the big majority of people who know almost all ads are some kind of virus/scam ad. (I havent really read this thread much)

Edited by HuskerDoggo

• Totem Arts Staff
4 minutes ago, HuskerDoggo said:

I've never seen anyone actually clicking on a video gsme ad or even spending the time to look it up. Imo web/mobile ads only makes people want to play it less.

There's also the big majority of people who know almost all ads are some kind of virus/scam ad. (I havent really read this thread much)

Depends on the ad. Little popups or side ads usually annoy me. But when its a trailer for a new movie or a game, it looks more interesting.

Ads do work, granted they have a lot of stigma -- but if they didn't work, then no body would use them. EA games (for example) get most of the sales through very heavy and expensive marketing -- I myself have had success as well.

But it is all trial and error, some things work; other things don't. If it didn't work, YT would have been shut down long ago.  The performance from this YT campaign was poor; primarily because I optimized the ad wrong (i.e. age groups, interests etc...)

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, TomUjain said:

Ads do work, granted they have a lot of stigma -- but if they didn't work, then no body would use them. EA games (for example) get most of the sales through very heavy and expensive marketing -- I myself have had success as well.

But it is all trial and error, some things work; other things don't. If it didn't work, YT would have been shut down long ago.  The performance from this YT campaign was poor; primarily because I optimized the ad wrong (i.e. age groups, interests etc...)

As @taishō may have mentioned, using the trailer probably piques more interests than anything, though I'm not sure what kind of ad you're running and where..... Also I feel like we need an updated trailer around. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking this over at work and have  come to the conclusion that I might as well be pouring this ad money down a bottomless sink hole. We are getting 'players' and with optimization the convertion rates could be vastly improved.

But

I can't shake off the current state of the game and the slow progress made to address the huge amount of issues at hand. I bring this up because this is the most defining factor when retaining players. Yes I can bring new blood in -- but the odds of them staying as a regular player is very, very low. In short my ads bring in short bursts of new players, temporarily with the odd one or two sticking around.

I don't think the issue lies in the devs not caring, truthfully I think it lies in man power (or lack of). Thus I am leaning towards focusing the campagin primarily on Unreal 3 developers in the hopes new features can be put out faster, and more stable.

The big issue (at least in my view) is the lack of 'pull' aka - goals available to the player on a more personal level. I strongly believe Renegade X would greatly benefit from some form of 'level up' system or achivement unlocks -- something, anything for the players to work towards. player 'ranks' were a step int he right direction, as was the 'best def', 'best off', best support' etc... badges but this can be expanded upon. Evidence shows this is a feature the community craves highly (leaderboards and !tank, kills, score etc... reflect this).

Bottom line is this: where is the ad money better spent? Refining / optimising to bring in new players, targetting and incentivising new developers, server improvements or is it better spent elsewhere? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Edited by TomUjain

I have been reading with interest your adventures in this regard.

A few thoughts:

As a somewhat daily player i thought i could feel the effect of  a few more new players.   Maybe it was my imagination but, it seemed like there were a few more  newby questions being floated and a general attitude of discovery of fun by some.     While my imagination may be wrong, i think it does point to the positive effect even a trickle of new blood can create.

Ofc,  more developers and development of the game is nice.   But i cannot help but feel the game is basicly a great, playable game as it already is.    But folks like the feeling of a game progressing and the back and forth between the community and devs is always a Plus.

Re:  goals for players.     Like you i think the  best def,best off, support etc was a nice addition, and i would like to see more along these lines.  BUT!  I do not think starting down the path of   "leveling up" is a good plan if it means we start each game at different levels of ability.  In fact, i think the lack of that tactic is a real PLUS for the game.   Always have.    I do not play to be more uber than another - i play for the fun and to see my team win a fair battle.

I wish you well on your choices for the future and congratulate you on being pro active.

Edited by isupreme

• Totem Arts Staff

I think focusing on bringing in more developers would be money well spent if it could be targeted properly. 

Look at it this way, from a promotional standpoint, what makes most sense to promote and creates the most buzz? "we have 300 players online right now!!" or "all new features and improvements dropping on this date, be sure to tune in!!"

Like the point you've made @TomUjain , whats the point of bringing new players in if we can't keep them?

With more developers things like tutorial levels can be created, quicker and more effective ways of explaining game mechanics can be implemented. 

Most people don't really "get" what a RTS-FPS hybrid is, they need to be educated properly while playing the game. (without players taking time each match trying to explain what do to)

[im very tired right now and i tend to ramble a bit. sorry if I wrote something that didn't make sense lol]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your views on this guys. I have been running through plans to try and attract casual devs to the community, something I will be experimenting with this month in our new marketing campagin -- I may also do something similar with the local community (not offical yet) offering prizes i.e. PS4, Xbox one consoles and Amazon giftcards for those who enter a 'competition' where the 'winner' is voted in by the community. This competition would consist of, new, creative content for RenX -- this could be a new tank, new map, new AI etc... etc... but the fine details of this would need to be worked out, and I need to know enough people are commited to entering before I go ahead with that -- no point going forward if only 3 people are willing to enter.

In regards to the ad campagin  (results below) -- its been looking a lot better than last month; 28% of all 8,000 views (thats 2,200 people) watched the video till the end without skipping, 3% of those (67 people) ended up downloading and trying RenX -- based on past data, we expect to lose 80% of those meaning between 5 - 9 new players have been gained, 1  - 3 of which we expect to be regulars.

Each view cost me roughly 2p -- at 8,000 thats roughly £85 for this month, each player costing around £1.27, and each (expected) staying player costing £28.30.

Performance? OK, could be better -- I believe targetting RTS / C&C demographics would help those numbers but again we default to our old problem -- yes we are getting new players, but we are not retaining those numbers, where are they going, and why? I don't know -- but I do believe this core issue needs to be looked into to encourage new players to stay and not leave after one session, never to be seen again.

My theory? Could be timezone related, FPI / CT cater to the EU timezones, it could also be down to the brutailty of getting 'thrust' into the middle of an intense battle with no guides / help -- with the added confusion of buildings getting destroyed, for a newb this can be very disorienting. It could also be down to bad marketing.

I strongly recommend the devs to 'modernize' the download page to make it look more attractive to the viewer, a landing page would also greatly help our case. Ryz has been working on a landing page for RenX -- it isn't perfect, but it is a good foundation for us to work with. Over the next few months I'll be trying to work with Agent to get a professonal landing page, and better download page. I noticed a thread on this already that looks promising, something I'll be keeping tabs on for sure.

53868193c447b1788dac8e59b1564d51f5448e0b

93089161cfdaef51824cca6bc2c87411ac1b7a20

2943236178e304f914f911058baf268e6af6b17d

Edited by TomUjain

Great information to read.   Thanks. 

I will go with  roweboat's comment:

Like the point you've made @TomUjain , whats the point of bringing new players in if we can't keep them?

With more developers things like tutorial levels can be created, quicker and more effective ways of explaining game mechanics can be implemented. 

Most people don't really "get" what a RTS-FPS hybrid is, they need to be educated properly while playing the game. (without players taking time each match trying to explain what do to)

It is especially interesting the rate of watching and joining and staying.    I wonder what would be considered a success rate for games?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Trying to always think of ways to help renx. These several people to raise money for a book of old tattoo flash did a reward campaign. Thought this maybe a good way to raise money for homestretch of developing? Raise extra scratch - Iduno just an idea - here’s a link to the site they used. More rewards bigger donation   https://www.startnext.com/buch-no-3

they totally made the goal too. The book is sick. Maybe the most expensive package along side some sick renx Merch could be to put a “special thanks to:” section and everyone’s name who donated in the game somewhere. Do a special panflet of blue prints of the maps and stuff? That could be a reward.

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, kira said:

@TomUjain  hey whats up,   you still running advertisement? and if you do how does it going? 

Hey Kira, 

In short -- No. I ran it briefly during the DDOS attacks as well as a few server wide mini games but aside from that this project pretty much was halted. I've gone over why before but to go over it briefly again in lay-mans terms: We were not retaining the new players, I can't give you the reason why -- the data does not say that but we can guess.

My theory is due to the very design of the game itself, it is a very niche market and if we wanted to brake into the mainstream and attract and retain new players several critical design changes would need to be put in -- which, at this point is simply not an option due to the resources required. Now i'm not saying hope is lost, it simply means that the advertisements need to be targetted at a very specific demographic of people we would also need to 'be more of a community' by that I mean hosting events like PUGs, creative contests uploading youtube guides, writing comics (red vs blue?) etc... etc... in short: we need more social media out there. But. And this is a BIG but - the game is still in beta which keeps us in this limu stage which isn't helping our case either.

The data from Google showed that out of the people who download the game, very few were staying for longer than a week. Basically I was pouring money down a bottomless pit so I deemed this a very uneffective way to bring in new players.

Guest once upon the time

Yes, at times the game is not mainstream. But I think that not so many "critical" changes have to be made. The gameplay is special or different than other games, that may be and yes there are no active "employees" for changes.
Meanwhile I have the impression (I may be wrong, because I do not know what's going on in the little room), because even devs are afraid of changes. May deceive me, but it comes over to me.
The gameplay is even if you are honest but quite monotonous, due to the maps and yet almost always the same tactics that can be played. The change in this game is in my opinion not so big.
What options do you have: Infantry, tanks and few maps with Orca and Apache, so very limited and monotonous from my point of view.
We try to go with Mount a way that can provide more variety without making very large changes (we also lack of volunteers).Obviously, vehicles have to be adapted, but we have succeeded quite well, for example with the rescaled Mig and F15. (But not quite finished yet). Final adjustments must be done.

Unfortunately it is also true that many "root players" are not exactly willing to make separate downloads. This makes the project even more difficult to test the game suitability.
It's my personal impression that Mount (of course, a map does not have to be that huge, but is also a good performance test) would bring a positive change to new players.

Everyones ideal perfect FPS is different. However, if you follow the statistics and data most of the 'tripple A' developers follow we know pretty much what is 'main stream appeal' and RenX is not that. They all tend to follow the same path for a reason, because it sells. You wouldn't see any serious developer dead with RenX, its a passion project and does have plenty of holes that make it far from perfect.

This is the main problem we will have when advertising. Yes we can pull in numbers, but those numbers will be few and far between because as I said, RenX is a niche market. Lets also not forget it was never designed to be a main game in-on-itself, it was a sideline they threw into the game as a bonus feature. So, in essence it would be like trying to advertise for the online mini games in Resident evil, for example. As a bare minimum (and all of this is totally unrealistic with the resources / times we have by the way) we would need a solid, account bound 'progression' system, different modes and unlockables as a very bad example, Star Wars Battle Front 2 (without loot boxes) why? Because this is a model that is proven to retain players and keeps players invested - look at all the successful FPSs on the market from CSGO, Fortnight, COC etc... etc...

I say this from experience. I put down a lot of money and put my heart into custom, professonal advertising and did several promotions myself -- players come, they come in droves -- but, and this is a big but; they don't stick around for very long. A classic example of this is when totalbiscuit did a review for us and it brought in 100s of new players but this effect was brief and not sustainable -- and that boils down to design, as I said already.

As I said, we can find ways around this - but if we are being realistic, RenX has pretty much reached its peak.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, TomUjain said:

Hey Kira, 

In short -- No. I ran it briefly during the DDOS attacks as well as a few server wide mini games but aside from that this project pretty much was halted. I've gone over why before but to go over it briefly again in lay-mans terms: We were not retaining the new players, I can't give you the reason why -- the data does not say that but we can guess.

My theory is due to the very design of the game itself, it is a very niche market and if we wanted to brake into the mainstream and attract and retain new players several critical design changes would need to be put in -- which, at this point is simply not an option due to the resources required. Now i'm not saying hope is lost, it simply means that the advertisements need to be targetted at a very specific demographic of people we would also need to 'be more of a community' by that I mean hosting events like PUGs, creative contests uploading youtube guides, writing comics (red vs blue?) etc... etc... in short: we need more social media out there. But. And this is a BIG but - the game is still in beta which keeps us in this limu stage which isn't helping our case either.

The data from Google showed that out of the people who download the game, very few were staying for longer than a week. Basically I was pouring money down a bottomless pit so I deemed this a very uneffective way to bring in new players.

i offered on discord doing a contest , who ever making the best amazing exciting video about renegade x would get prizes such as:
- Extra tick count to his team on every game for the next two weeks
 - special tag name in game and discord
- optional - more probility for epic character or something like that

this would incourge the players to create video or any content, and if it's good and get views, then they won.

• Former Developers

Actually do you guys mind if I hijack this topic....

We've been wanting to use social media a lot more to help with publicity, and one idea we had was the create short 10 - 30 second highlight clips of gameplay revolving around a single concept that's easy to follow and understand. Problem is the dev team doesnt have time to put together clips like that on a regular basis.

So I would be more than happy to post clips made by you guys so long as they meet a certain standard of quality and consistency. If some of you wish to try it, I'd love to take a look and help guide the process so that everyone is on the same page.

• Like 5

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Havoc89 said:

We've been wanting to use social media a lot more to help with publicity, and one idea we had was the create short 10 - 30 second highlight clips of gameplay revolving around a single concept that's easy to follow and understand. Problem is the dev team doesnt have time to put together clips like that on a regular basis.

So I would be more than happy to post clips made by you guys so long as they meet a certain standard of quality and consistency. If some of you wish to try it, I'd love to take a look and help guide the process so that everyone is on the same page.

Maybe it would be best to post a separate topic that explains exactly what the clips should involve? I'm sure many of us would be happy to help.

• Like 1

Hiya. I haven't been in the community for long, but I thought I'd offer my insight on the topic.

I downloaded RenX long after I joined the community. When I finally tried the game and found it wasn't really my thing, I still stayed for the community (specifically, the Discord community). The RenX Discord community seems to be one of the friendlier C&C communities on Discord, and I've been in 4-5 so far.

On 10/6/2018 at 1:55 AM, buttons said:

I suggest a bigger call to action on joining the community (mostly Discord, but also the forums). Knowing there's people in the community would let people know the game isn't dead if they go onto the launcher and see 5 people online

Hence, I agree with this one. Having a strong community is a very important asset to have because of the next point.

12 hours ago, TomUjain said:

This is the main problem we will have when advertising. Yes we can pull in numbers, but those numbers will be few and far between because as I said, RenX is a niche market.

Pros and cons of having a niche audience. While the traffic is small, it is easier to cater to said audience. So, who are we dealing with here? Nostalgic C&C players who either like old school Renegade or want to play a C&C FPS. How to cater to this audience? If you ask me, a short term thing can be focusing on getting players on board the game, because RenX is a traditional FPS, not a modern one. There's a lot going on in an average match, so bringing players up to speed helps. I heard Kira mention a WIP tutorial map, so that's great. In games such as Natural Selection 2, I found the community wasn't too friendly with green players(i.e complete newbies), because that game was also a RTS-FPS hybrid with the commander figuring out which upgrades to first, has an overhead view of things, etc. I had to rely on a friend to hand-hold me throughout a match because I had no idea what I was doing, and constantly died. I stopped playing after that one.

Long term steps can be giving C&C players more of what they want. It may take a while to figure out what works, but an example could be adding more lore bits, because any game in the Tiberium universe has lore as its biggest advantage, that is the reason why that universe still has a following to this date. Existing stuff that's good are map descriptions and little easter eggs here and there.

3 hours ago, TomUjain said:

A well managed Facebook page with regular weekly updates would be a huge step in the right direction, in my view -- if we can get a team of people willing to manage it. I'll be happy to throw my name in the hat for the job.

Better interaction with the community does help. A post about the upcoming PUGs, and another post just before PUGs begin with a Discord link can help. If you look at the Facebook page, even non-RenX stuff gets traffic (simply because C&C fans like to talk about anything C&C-related, so I'd suggest capitalize on this). I can vouch for this because I did have a Tiberium Tuesdays segment running for a bit, some of which were re-shared by Twisted Insurrection's Fb page. I covered multiple topics in the C&C-verse, so when someone talked about a topic I wrote about, I just link it to the chat and it becomes a conversation piece.

Summary:
1) RenX's biggest asset(if you ask me) is its community, the Discord one to be specific.
2) The target audience are C&C players, small yet niche.
3) More frequent posts on the Facebook page would help improve interaction with the community.

That's about it from me.

• Like 2

I've always been curious about how the legality works with EA holding the rights to C&C. I suppose EA is letting you do a "community mod", as long as you make no money off of it? There must be some way you get revenue as developers, that doesn't go against EA legal deathsquad? Are there any restrictions on advertising? 

Being on the internet for long enough, I've become desensitized to ads (as much as I humanly can), but I do see the power of streamers or popular yt channels. Perhaps, as a community, we can reach out to them to incline them to give RenX a try?

Honestly, it breaks my heart, because RenX has easily become one of my most consistently played games and it deserves a larger playerbase.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:08 PM, Havoc89 said:

Great idea ,where on FB ..I'm not a FB user Do FB can reach out of the box some player that are not subcribed to RenX?

MB a Pin thread with this 10-30 sec ONLY sumission gameplay and lets see how it goes from there