Ren X is official ruined!

Algol

14 hours ago, Henk said:

The point of headshot multipliers is that you get rewarded for your skill, a small head is a more difficult target than a torso/waist, and trying to aim for the head is a risk to take (higher chance of missing).

Hitting a target with a singe shot weapon is the risk. Aiming at the head with the same weapon slighly increase this risk because if you happen to aim lower, you still hit your target. If you aim a bit higher then you missed. I hope nobody is serious about that aiming at the top part is so risky that it worth 5X damage. A hitscan weapon which is dead accurate with hip firing shouldn't even have a x3. Want reward for deliberately headshotting infantry with an anti tank unit? Take that 1,5 multiplier which is still 300 dmg + burning damage, now go and shoot some tanks.

Ravershav/Sydney was intended to counter vehicles but in reality they are primarily used to kill any kind of infanty. On top of that LCG exceeds them in their original role in any aspects besides range, but due to the map's layout that's barely an issue. I even see the logic in that Syd/Rav shouldn't have multiplier on headshots (which is 1X btw :-).

OR

11 hours ago, Axesor said:

If you wanna keep ion gun hs multiplier, you gotta add same hipfire spread as snipers got to make it fair, otherwise just set it to 1 - this would make a sence.

OR (mentioned before)

Add a charge up time between pulling the trigger and actual beam. The same amount of time is enough what they currently have between shots, maybe less because they need to be more effective against vehicles (higher DPS). In technical terms the idle time would be before the shots instead of after them. Vehicles could be just as easily hit as before, but infantry would be fairly protected, yet still killable with skill. Now that would be rewarding.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Totem Arts Staff
26 minutes ago, ObeliskTheTormentor said:

removing the head shot multiplier or reducing it to 1.5 is by far the best option of the three imho

The numbers do actually look really good on it, as opposed to always being 1000+ damage on headshot. 

Headshot damage in relation to veterancy + factor in roughly +10 - 20 damage for burn.

• Haha 1

• Totem Arts Staff
On 9/20/2017 at 4:34 PM, Henk said:

Ramjet projectile/beam could be bigger I agree. Also very easy to do..

Changed the smoke color for the ramjet, and changed lifetime to 4 seconds (4 seconds is a long time, it's just to show the color. A realistic time is more like 2ish seconds). First shot is at 1/3 speed, next is full speed. (GIF changed the colors of the beam, it stays a constant blue ingame.)

HMpfDPI2OUEvCM9RpzlkGozwzfkmhX69.gif

16 hours ago, Sarah! said:

Changed the smoke color for the ramjet, and changed lifetime to 4 seconds (4 seconds is a long time, it's just to show the color. A realistic time is more like 2ish seconds). First shot is at 1/3 speed, next is full speed. (GIF changed the colors of the beam, it stays a constant blue ingame.)

HMpfDPI2OUEvCM9RpzlkGozwzfkmhX69.gif

That;s great but Deadeye and BHS still have invisible gunshots don't they?

ANd they can still instakillHEADSHOT can they not?

So... White, trail, same length of time for BHS/DE please.

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, Madkill40 said:
44 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

Only ramjet should, if Veterency+

ANd they can still instakillHEADSHOT can they not?

Anyways, it's up to the devs to implement my changes or not. I have look at regular sniper particle system and it seems pretty simple to add smoke as well

Edited by Sarah!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 4:36 PM, kenz3001 said:

right i need to read this carefully

first off: thats not a nice word to use when indeed you are the "n00b"

second: OP hardware i didnt know players were using quantum computers or deep learning server racks to play renx (might explain why the "n00bs" as you call them are so good)

as for us Developers we cant balance for cunts or cocks they both do the same thing in different ways some are bigger / smaller, wider / tighter then others... some are just very incompatible ... some fit together too well and make much friction. some think they are the best but then see some one who is better and then bitch on forums making them look even more feeble and impotent ... shit my bad i was ment to be on about balance not whinny people and... wait was i really on about the bonding of parts ... well i could go on all day but as you have seen this topic is just turned into a good source of a laugh ahhh fuck it might as well waste every ones time just like you have .... i too am pissed off that the friction of a good hard (ummm not the place for that) ahh it might be as this topic will get shut down in about 10 mins

ramble ramble ramble

and you are right i dont give a fuck about balance any more as the game is about there on balance

i should say i dont like the word "N00b" its vile and vulgar or was that another word ?...

well nice post hope to see your posts on other games like cod, battlefield, csgo, destiny and all them other shooter games that happen to have the exact same problem (or the problem just might be your attitude)

BRUH THISCOMMENT IS AMAZING THE FACT THAT A DEVELOPER SAID THIS IS BADASS THEY NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE THIS GUY

My take on this, irrespective of the shitposting going on;

1. Ramjet Havoc/Sakura. New spread is a bit too much. Every shot is a luck shot. Since each shot has a different random spread, the only way to guarantee a hit is to be close enough to the enemy so that the spread does not matter. What we are left with is a distance where you are not close enough, but not far away enough to scope. The spread on Ramjet & Sniper rifle reminds me of the McFartland fiasco. McFartland dominated when first introduced, many complaints later it was nerfed so bad no one used him. Then it was again increased and has remained very steady. With Sniper/Ramjet I think we are on 2nd iteration. I hope the spread is dealt with, or at least offer some way to predict/control it. I believe @poi may have mentioned something like this (did you?)

I do agree with adding more "visible effects". It's kind of like SBH, they are invisible, but once you shoot Laser Rifle, everyone can hear/see you. One thing you should know about me is that I truly believe in taking care of the new comers, and I think visible effects will at least allow the newbie to know where the shot came from.

2. Sniper Rifle Deadeye/BHS. Please get rid of the new secondary weapon. I think Deadeye/BHS should have heavy pistol back. Or leave the hip fire spread, even increase it to 180 degrees and give us Carbine :). Lastly, remember what seems to have been forgotten when new skin of BHS was introduced. Deadeye & BHS are the true recon/sneaking class. The Sniper Rifle in original Ren made little noise and only left a tiny bullet trail. Also both characters are "small" and can hide their head behind a tree. However the ninja turtle outfit of BHS is a disservice, it looks cool & was well modeled but its too big. Can't hide/sneak as nice as the old skin.

In conclusion, I think we need to discourage both classes from close combat instant kills. Sakura/Havoc should have slightly less spread (by a degree even) and have much more visual effects so they can be spotted and hunted. They are after all a powerful class that are meant to deal excessive damage from afar. While Deadeye/BHS we trade excessive damage for stealth, and we discourage close combat with hipfire spread. However a Heavy Pistol, Carbine or even Autorifle would be nice because of low health. I assure you no one will run around abusing Deadeye + Carbine fighting close combat.

As for the Raveshaw & Sydney, I don't know what to do. They are supposed to be anti-tank/air/buildings etc. But now they get used like an instagib...
And I wouldn't give a damn if this game was as popular as CS/COD and other abominations. However in Renx we have a dwindling playerbase and I think we should cater to the new comers, not the veterans. If you take away Sydney/Raveshaw tomorrow, I assure you that we veterans will still have a good time and dominate the newbies. Because it is not like the newbies can properly use them against us anyways. Only the reverse is true. I am not advocating actually getting rid of or nerfing Raveshaw/Sydney (we need them for anti-everything else). I'm trying to make a point that we should nerf or cap the veteran players.

There is a reason as to why I played original Renegade so long. It's because only the veteran players were left, so every match was challenging. Playing COD I could en up against some tween who slept with my mom or a professional Russian on CS. Renegade X is not an old game, and has yet to reach its climax.

@Algol I hope you come back. Don't let a few pricks ruin your day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RustyShackleford said:

My take on this, irrespective of the shitposting going on;

1. Ramjet Havoc/Sakura. New spread is a bit too much. Every shot is a luck shot. Since each shot has a different random spread, the only way to guarantee a hit is to be close enough to the enemy so that the spread does not matter. What we are left with is a distance where you are not close enough, but not far away enough to scope. The spread on Ramjet & Sniper rifle reminds me of the McFartland fiasco. McFartland dominated when first introduced, many complaints later it was nerfed so bad no one used him. Then it was again increased and has remained very steady. With Sniper/Ramjet I think we are on 2nd iteration. I hope the spread is dealt with, or at least offer some way to predict/control it. I believe @poi may have mentioned something like this (did you?)

I do agree with adding more "visible effects". It's kind of like SBH, they are invisible, but once you shoot Laser Rifle, everyone can hear/see you. One thing you should know about me is that I truly believe in taking care of the new comers, and I think visible effects will at least allow the newbie to know where the shot came from.

2. Sniper Rifle Deadeye/BHS. Please get rid of the new secondary weapon. I think Deadeye/BHS should have heavy pistol back. Or leave the hip fire spread, even increase it to 180 degrees and give us Carbine :). Lastly, remember what seems to have been forgotten when new skin of BHS was introduced. Deadeye & BHS are the true recon/sneaking class. The Sniper Rifle in original Ren made little noise and only left a tiny bullet trail. Also both characters are "small" and can hide their head behind a tree. However the ninja turtle outfit of BHS is a disservice, it looks cool & was well modeled but its too big. Can't hide/sneak as nice as the old skin.

In conclusion, I think we need to discourage both classes from close combat instant kills. Sakura/Havoc should have slightly less spread (by a degree even) and have much more visual effects so they can be spotted and hunted. They are after all a powerful class that are meant to deal excessive damage from afar. While Deadeye/BHS we trade excessive damage for stealth, and we discourage close combat with hipfire spread. However a Heavy Pistol, Carbine or even Autorifle would be nice because of low health. I assure you no one will run around abusing Deadeye + Carbine fighting close combat.

As for the Raveshaw & Sydney, I don't know what to do. They are supposed to be anti-tank/air/buildings etc. But now they get used like an instagib...
And I wouldn't give a damn if this game was as popular as CS/COD and other abominations. However in Renx we have a dwindling playerbase and I think we should cater to the new comers, not the veterans. If you take away Sydney/Raveshaw tomorrow, I assure you that we veterans will still have a good time and dominate the newbies. Because it is not like the newbies can properly use them against us anyways. Only the reverse is true. I am not advocating actually getting rid of or nerfing Raveshaw/Sydney (we need them for anti-everything else). I'm trying to make a point that we should nerf or cap the veteran players.

There is a reason as to why I played original Renegade so long. It's because only the veteran players were left, so every match was challenging. Playing COD I could en up against some tween who slept with my mom or a professional Russian on CS. Renegade X is not an old game, and has yet to reach its climax.

@Algol I hope you come back. Don't let a few pricks ruin your day.

1. The problem before was that the ramjets dominated in close combat when they are meant to be used in long range, I think the spread is fine for the ramjet rifle.

2. I very much agree with you. Right now I rarely see Deadeye/BHS in game, probably because players think they are too weak. As for the BHS skin, I think the clothes of nod officer or Mendoza would suit them better, maybe with a different head model.

Ravenshaw and Sydney are a catastrophy right now. I don't know what other players think about them but I despise them. A single Rav/sydney can dominate a tunnel because of their ability to kill nearly every unit with one shot while also having the range to do it before intended close combat units like chems or McFarland can reach them, I'm especially thinking about the tunnels in Islands. I know this was the same problem with Havoc and Sakura before but Rav/Sydney are so powerfull against everything else too. Why not give them more spread, shooting vehicles doesn't require much accuracy.

Something has to be done changed with infantry. Sniper classes often get the most hate but I can't honestly remember when I was killed by a sniper the last time. Being sent flying from a blue or red beam on the other hand happens a bit too often...

Tunnel and close quarter combat should be dominated by automatic weapons and flame/chem weapons, not by one-shot long range weapons and AT- weapons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, SvN91 said:

Tunnel and close quarter combat should be dominated by automatic weapons and flame/chem weapons, not by one-shot long range weapons and AT- weapons.

Wait, why? The original Renegade had epic sniping battles between Havoc/Sakura/Sydney/Raveshaw. These characters are 1k credits for a reason. Why should a 350 credit chem trooper be able to dominate the tunnels when it is 1/3 the price?

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but nerfing Sydney/Raveshaw would make them almost useless. They already have:

1. Slow re-fire, putting them at a disadvantage against actual sniper classes
  2. No secondary weapon, making them vulnerable to ambushes in close quarters;
  3. No scope, and are therefore not a substitute for a Havoc/Sakura at long distances,
  4. Medium range, rendering them ineffective at killing tanks from longer distances (I can stand at the top of the wall in Walls_Flying and not even be able to hit tanks that are visible to me, close to the middle of the map. And Walls is a tiny map.)

Medium range anti-infantry is one of the few things Syd/Rave is actually good at...nerf that and you may as well just buy a Mobius/Mendoza.

11 hours ago, SvN91 said:

Ravenshaw and Sydney are a catastrophy right now. I don't know what other players think about them but I despise them. A single Rav/sydney can dominate a tunnel because of their ability to kill nearly every unit with one shot while also having the range to do it...

But so can Havoc/Sakura...

11 hours ago, SvN91 said:

Something has to be done changed with infantry. Sniper classes often get the most hate but I can't honestly remember when I was killed by a sniper the last time. Being sent flying from a blue or red beam on the other hand happens a bit too often...

I dunno...I get killed by snipers all the time...:ph34r:  

13 hours ago, SvN91 said:

Ravenshaw and Sydney are a catastrophy right now. I don't know what other players think about them but I despise them. A single Rav/sydney can dominate a tunnel because of their ability to kill nearly every unit with one shot while also having the range to do it before intended close combat units like chems or McFarland can reach them, I'm especially thinking about the tunnels in Islands. I know this was the same problem with Havoc and Sakura before but Rav/Sydney are so powerfull against everything else too. Why not give them more spread, shooting vehicles doesn't require much accuracy.

Increase the damage output to vehicles by x1.25-x1.50 and increase the time between shots x2.

I haven't played in a while, so I don't know the current state, but if you want something used a specific way, you should tune it to be used that way.

This gives a buff to vehicle damage and nerfs effectiveness in close quarters while not changing how it works. It does change how it is used, though. It makes accuracy of a shot a lot more important, so it would make more sense to use said shots on bigger targets.

I'll try and get in game this weekend and see how everything feels. Been meaning to play again but I'm a busy guy so I can get a better feel of where everything is at for balance.

Edit: I like Algol a lot. He's the only team player I encountered during the times I could normally play back when I first started and really the only reason why I didn't initially give up on it. Hope he comes back. Good player or not, the community needs people willing to cooperate.

Edited by Hohndo

8 hours ago, ps212 said:

But so can Havoc/Sakura...

Only if they use their scope as hip-fire is now ineffective (i.e. noscoping), yet the Raveshaws/Sydneys have no such disadvantage which just makes them Sniper No. 2 and thus the same problem exists as did with the Sak/Hav's before the fire spread nerf.

Edited by Madkill40
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ps212 said:

Medium range anti-infantry is one of the few things Syd/Rave is actually good at...nerf that and you may as well just buy a Mobius/Mendoza.

Mobius/Mendoza are supposed to be medium-range anti infantry units. Syd/Rav are tank killers.

11 hours ago, ps212 said:

Wait, why? The original Renegade had epic sniping battles between Havoc/Sakura/Sydney/Raveshaw. These characters are 1k credits for a reason. Why should a 350 credit chem trooper be able to dominate the tunnels when it is 1/3 the price?

The "epic sniping battles" happen in Renegade because snipers at that time are the best anti-infantry weapon, even at close range. A Deadeye in Renegade can easily kill an officer, laser chaingun black hand, and even mendoza in close combat. In Renegade X, snipers are adjusted to be long-range only as their close combat has been nerf, you can take down a deadeye easily with officers now. So, why not adjust chem/flame/autos to be powerful at close range as these weapons are more suitable to be the ones dominating tunnels/CQB ?

They are 1k for a reason isn't a good argument here because that 1k already earned them being the most poweful anti infantry in open areas. You want a 1k-tier tunnel defender, get mobius/mendoza.  You want a 1k anti-tank, get raveshaw or sydney.

The problem in Renegade, it doesn't make much sense snipers are overpowered at close range even against CQB weapons. This is why in Renegade, people only use snipers and engineers and sometimes black hand stealth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff
7 hours ago, ps212 said:

I simply stated my opinion...or should I not do that next time?

Thanks to vandal and madkill who actually responded to what I said.

You're free to share your opinion. But what I think he's saying is more like, RenX is a different beast; trying to compare an apple to an orange. They're both fruits, but different still.

9 hours ago, ps212 said:

I simply stated my opinion...or should I not do that next time?

Thanks to vandal and madkill who actually responded to what I said.

I think I know how you feel and what you mean by that. The problem is, people do not think the same way and do not have the same perception and so on and so on.

Simple example: imagine a botanist and a engineer watching at a same tree. They would describe completely differently what they see.

Being honest should be a virtue, nevertheless, you need to find the way how to share your perception and your truth to others so they can understand and experience the same.

Not easy by using words...

• Like 1

O dearest mods, gods of the renX forums, I come before you on bended knees. I beseech thee o powerful admins, lock this thread down and bury the key in a hole deeper even than the abyssal depths of Tartarus. 

I promise an offering of many headshots o gods of renX, dedicated to your glory. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Psypher said:

O dearest mods, gods of the renX forums, I come before you on bended knees. I beseech thee o powerful admins, lock this thread down and bury the key in a hole deeper even than the abyssal depths of Tartarus. 

I promise an offering of many headshots o gods of renX, dedicated to your glory. 

I agree this rant should be locked long time ago but why not request in a normal manner? o.O

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, DarkRavenBest said:

Agreed. I forgot about this game because of them. I cant play normaly, when this guys hit you with ion cannon from other side of the map. And i dont say about ruined shooter mechanic of this game which along the first problem makes this game unplayble and frustrating. 

Since you are allready necroing this topic I might as well contribute...

Go and check the new patch. Sydney and Raveshaw are changed, so I guess somebody listed to these complaints...

• Haha 1