[Level] CNC-Outposts

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

CNC-Outposts

The map takes place at the dunes with 6 outposts. 4 are currently used, 2 are abandoned by both GDI and Nod. Behind the sandy dunes, a green field of grass, bushes and tree's for infantry combat.

Buildings:

- GDI Barracks and Hand of Nod

- GDI Weapons Factory and Nod Airstrip

- GDI Refinery and Nod Refinery

- Adv. Guard Tower and Obelisk of Light

- GDI Repair Facility and Nod Repair Facility

- Tiberium Silo

- Communications Center

• Totem Arts Staff

Yooow,

Today is the big day! CNC-Outposts is released! Goddamn it it's been a while since I started this map and I'm very proud of the end result! Of course this is the first version and there will be some bugs here and there but still, I like it!

So I hope the loyal map testers can do their amazing job once again! And I hope this map could go to an official patch, that would be awesome! So testers, go on and have fun :)

Cheers,

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

So my first testing round is over and I'll show you some things I found

Spoiler

Screenshot_(60).thumb.png.e3e38f0af32a8418683d6cf26aec5e50.png

You should move the Kill Z volume a bit more back, I was just walking there and died

Screenshot_(61).thumb.png.b342f621185de9145f9bf2acba9ce045.png

You forgot the tank blocking volumes around the both outposts

Screenshot_(62).thumb.png.48ff3150e2a7907b1934d6c2ce68c114.png

The Mini Map is a bit crap, it is showing me that the Harvester is driving on the rocks

Screenshot_(64).thumb.png.631636454bd33cc92c359cac59e2e0c2.png

Weird Harvester unload (same for Nod side)

Screenshot_(69).thumb.png.3b62e1a9b0357f92f425bc65e76a3749.png

Screenshot_(73).thumb.png.0c94e75028b28e861961adf0b3fd36db.png

I'm sure you know how to fix the problem from the last 2 screens

So that's it

for the first round.

I think Try-Out, limsup and I will test it in the late evening again, you can join us, if you have time.

But well done, it is a pretty good map :)

• Totem Arts Staff

@Luhrian

- I'll check out those KillZ's

- No it is suppose to be that vehicles can enter the outposts

- Since the map is quite big map and it's scaled for the map overview, it's crappy atm. @yosh56 Make it possible to let us scale the map overview

- Always the same with the harversters

- Forgot that

- Weird the Tib meshes don't have any collision. Probably did something wrong...

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

1 minute ago, TK0104 said:

- Weird the Tib meshes don't have any collision. Probably did something wrong...

I think you copied the tib mesh. You have to watch out which one you copied, because not all have collisions. Just double click on the mesh in the content browser and add some collisions, then it should be ok.

@TK0104

[Note: this is just a preliminary report, I only spent ~2 hours solo testing so far on Ourpost]

Yo Thommy,

let's start with some small details I found on your maps and I fell in love with :P

Spoiler

Antenna:

Antenna.jpg

the three "supporting" antennas (for the Comms) are great :)

Tides:

Tides.gif

Misc:

Spoiler

WeirdCollision.jpg
weird collision
MammothCollision.jpg
hard to see, but I'm "floating" above the mammoth
MissingCamBlockers.jpg
no cam blockers :/
MissingCollision.jpg
missing collision
TreeFrenceCollision.jpg
even though the gap seems to be qide enough you cant fit through, I know it's nothing serious but most players expect it's possible to run through.. ;)
StankOnRocksGDIbase.jpg
stank on the rocks inside GDI base
StankOnTheRocks.jpg
don't know if this is intended. stankz can move all along the cliffs [inf path is blocked though]

KillVolume.jpg

dat kill volume :/ you should at least place some signs as:

warning__sharks_with_lasers_by_aliensqui

Comms.jpg

you can jump on top of the Comms - again nothing serious, I just post it for the record as I know some players don't like that :D

RescaleMap.jpg

you might consider to rescale the overview map. please release a bigger one :D

Floating Forest:

Spoiler

FloatingTree.jpg
FloatingTree2.jpg
FloatingTree3.jpg
FloatingTree4.jpg
FloatingTree5.jpg
FloatingTree6.jpg
FloatingTree7.jpg
FloatingTree8.jpg

after ~ half an hour sweeping though the inf path I eventually gave up. so expect more floating trees...

Stuck spots:

Spoiler

Stuck_Full.jpg

Full Stuck
Stuck_Full_NodBase.jpgStuck_Nod_Base.jpg

semi stuck

found a few more semi stucks on the field but apparently I forgot to hit the screenshot key :/

Graphic / visual issues:

Spoiler

TibWeirdColor.jpg
TibWeirdColor2.jpg
TibWeirdColor3.jpg
WindTurbine.jpg

Turbine has no real texture :(

About the Tiberium fields... Even though Tiberium is something extraterrestrial... the transitions between "rock" and "tiberium" look extremely unnatural. you should not use the same Tib meshes/textures from Cliffside.

While testing I had a strange bug while looking at the sea...

WeirdSeaBug_200.gif

Balance:

Spoiler

UnfairGDIsneak.jpg

last but not least.... GDI can sneak along the cliffs above Nod base [incl various sniper cover] - GDI base is completely blocked, seems unfair [if you intended it like this)

All in all Outposts seems to be a good map. Though, I'm not sure why the "inf-only"-area is that huge... :/

Can't say yet if Outposts is a "Nod" or a "GDI" map. But medium tanks & mammoth will have a hard time in the dunes. Arties, flamers and stankz could dominate that area.

The map is definitely ready-to-play. We need to organize some people for a Gameplay session.

@Madkill40 / @Gliven / @Ryz / @Redarmy / @limsup / and any anyone who's interested in supporting map testing & development. Maybe next sunday evening? either CT Test server or @limsups 5-sigma... [then without VP mutator]

Regards,

Sn4ke

PS: judging from the old vehicle wreckages Nod will win the war ;)

Edited by DarkSn4ke
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TK0104 said:

- Since the map is quite big map and it's scaled for the map overview, it's crappy atm. @yosh56 Make it possible to let us scale the map overview

oh, forgot what I just posted about the small overview map. I din't know that it's currently not possible :(

about harvys...

I guess TK did it this way so they won't stuck :)

• Totem Arts Staff

Guess there is still a lot for me to fix :)

DAT PINK OCEAN.........SpoilerAlert

ANP-52365178.jpg?itok=x36l3f_E

(This is one of the Dutch Islands: Texel. Recently a place with water turned pink :) I guess I can keep it :P)

Edited by TK0104

@TK0104 the trees will consume most of the time I guess, but... until now there are no decors anyway (no bushes n grass etc)

is that pink water a result of an algal bloom or some chemical end product of a microorganism :D

nah, for me the purple sea... not sure but it seemed like a storm to me, probably an ion-storm passing by some miles away from the coastline ;)

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• Totem Arts Staff
2 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

@TK0104 the trees will consume most of the time I guess, but... until now there are no decors anyway (no bushes n grass etc)

Grass and Bushes ARE in the map, but I've set the minimum detail mode to medium I believe. So some stuff (without collision) and background disappears on low settings. 

7 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

The map is definitely ready-to-play. We need to organize some people for a Gameplay session.

@Madkill40 / @Gliven / @Ryz / @Redarmy / @limsup / and any anyone who's interested in supporting map testing & development. Maybe next sunday evening? either CT Test server or @limsups 5-sigma... [then without VP mutator]

Regards,

Sn4ke

PS: judging from the old vehicle wreckages Nod will win the war ;)

I would love to but I think I might be busy Sunday evening, so Monday might be better.

Rehearsing all week for Twelfth Night and performing this Weekend so I am preoccupied. 

Played a quick skirmish of the map. Looks ok. Few things (for now) that cought my eye (And is my opinion, do as you please):

Spoiler

1. The post-processing effect you applied is very annoying imho. It looks like I'm playing on a sepia screen. Either tone it down so there are more colors or remove it completely. If you are after a 'sandy' effect, just use the particles of sand and dust or add a ligth fog. 

2. Tone down that sun, holy shit. It's like im playing Grassyknol again. But seriously, that sun is a deadly laser.

20170802124337_1.thumb.jpg.c279ab7bdb26ab85b1df6c1dc82054c3.jpg20170802124707_1.thumb.jpg.ebd0a3abca7d24ea1b24d5e3acfb4768.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_oprmooiyrv1tdeoxz_540.png

3. The minimap could do with some enlargement, look at all the wasted space you could have used around the map. The map isn't accurate as well as @DarkSn4ke mentioned.

20170802124814_1.thumb.jpg.69fe50dad0d8fd17a7c785ff66e22303.jpg

4. I'm not sure about this one. The map seems a tad big. Even with vehicles. It takes quite some time to get to the back of the bases if you traverse the beach. Maybe others can give their opinion about it.

5. If you make something blocked for vehicles, make it look like it's blocked. Otherwise it looks silly.

20170802124836_1.thumb.jpg.d217dff4bf8cfb9eb91afdd83994221b.jpg

I like the overall design of the map. The hills give good cover against all sorts of hazards. Structures and decoration are nice as well (Do I see my comm-towers from CNC-Storm?).

Make changes as you please, curious for the results of the first playtest.

• Like 1

Sundays are usually difficult for me. I think I can make it this saturday before the PUG though. I am also down for a regular timeslot during the week, but tried to organize this a few times without any luck. 

6 hours ago, TK0104 said:

@Schmitzenbergh no I've seen them on Storm, not copied

Beter goed gejat dan slecht verzonnen! haha no worries. Mooi gemaakt.

I've been fuzzing around on your map in the testing server, the whole atmosphere feels great, reminds me of a map in bad company 2, Atacama Desert. I think you did a really good job here! The vehicle paths look and feel really natural and well thought of, there's lots of routes and gameplay wise it seems promising!

I can also tell you've spent lots of time adding details, great job!

If you wish to have some feedback heres mine;

* I'd go for a scratch-metal with a sand-noise combo for the specular channel of the windturbines, not the obelisk texture, 
* I'd add some dirt/sand to the turbines where the wind blows in as a detail
* Some collisions are missing (already reported)
* I'd add some more details on the infantry path to hide and sneak. Maybe add 2 supersmall supply stashes or something? 
* I'd also make the infantry path a bit smaller so you force people to get closer and go to combat. If you wish to have 2 paths I'd make a clear difference between them by adding height or make a tunnel.
* I'd have atleast 1 ninja path to the base for sneaking purposes
* I'd add a soundspline for the beach|
* I'd also just use the watervolume for kiling vehicles rather than setting up a killzone..
* Personally I dont really mind the bloom effect, but it can be tuned down a bit I think.. if you want to have lots of bloom in the background maybe its better to use fog volumes or sheets.. (or use a static mesh to project upon)
* To add some nice details, I'd add some local fogs with a nice shader to have the illusion that there's some gusts going on there, as you have lots of sand and wind (i see the turbines spinning) I'd expect some gusts of sand blowing up..

I think that if you could make the infantry path somewhat better gameplay wise (make sure you sketch the paths you wish to have there first) so people have more choices rather than 1 huge open field as a chokepoint this map will really work out well! Compliments on the progress thus far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday evening, while the CT Mara's pop got killed we played Outposts with two mates on T.O.'s server. I asked my mates for feedback on TeamSpeak - this is what they told me:

First of all they like the map. ["I'd love to see that map released in an official patch!"] But as usual they had suggestions / requests :D

- Make the Inf path slightly smaller

- So far there are only two points of access to the infantry-only-area so any infantry will most likely not jump down in the middle of the map (unless there are friendly units nearby) consider to add further entrances in the middle of the cliffs as: catwalk / stairs, a tunnel system leading in 3 directions [CommC, Nod-, GDI-base] or a Huge bunker as on Under (a bunker at this position would make sense, as the map is inspired from WWII if I remember correctly).

- an "outpost" both fractions can capture such as: a Repairpad (bunker MCT) [maybe then remove base repair pads]

- Tiberium Silo seems to be placed aloof, maybe add special Tiberium decor?

- Tiberium growing on sand based on the C&C universium might not be that likely at this time (between TD & TS)

Spoiler

at ~18:00 minutes you can see that areas as the Sahara are not affected

Dr. Mobius explains that it's an inorganic substance with strong metallic properties which tends to destroy / consume organic material as plants etc

fostac said you might want to make the Tiberium Fields look more organic, as the Tiberium is feasting on organic substances :D

- the map is huge and it will take some time until infantry units will reach the silo / CommCentre (at map start) you might consider to add a tunnel system leading to both refineries / maybe also from stip / WF to the infantry-only-area

- you can double-kill strip & Nods repair pad with a single beacon

[again: consider these as community feedback / suggestions and not just feedback from me :)]

Guest Gliven

You can also double kill the strip and ref with a single beacon.

It is possible to climb the rocks and jump the fence behind nod ref, ignoring the turrets. 

The base layouts are pretty good imho

The field is HUGE and same with the infantry path. I dont think infantry paths should ever be that wide open. For such a large map i dont even think you really need an infantry path at all. With all the cover and the 2 outposts between the bases, that is all the infantry need id say. If you really want a separate inf only path, at least narrow it out a bit, or split it into 2 separate paths.

Also, you are able to get on top of the bunkers by jumping from the sniper tower. stuck spot beside the antenna

stuck spot.jpe

Hey
I like this map exceptionally well! My respect for it! Desirable during 4 things.

-More vegetation in inf area
-apache Orca and transport helicopter
-Medical Center in Inf area
-More access to the bases via the inf area
-New posting of the guard tower if new entrances are created

I like this map very much from the design and from the topography. Have you reverted very cool.
Should definitely be inserted into the patch and played in PUG because this is a map where it would be very beneficial to play this in the PUG thanks to the many possibilities.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
9 hours ago, [GER] Barbie said:

-Medical Center in Inf area

Well, this will be difficult, you need to find someone who know how nBab's mutator work and who is ready to do that for you.

2 hours ago, Luhrian said:

Well, this will be difficult, you need to find someone who know how nBab's mutator work and who is ready to do that for you.

I agree, but most important, adding another objective isnt going to make the infantry path more interesting, i'd change the design a bit.

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Madkill40 said:

Doesn't a med center MCT exist in the UDK Content Browser anyway? And it is just up to a mapper to create a building for it in their map?

The med center MCT is in the content browser but it doesn't do anything

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hey Thommy, a few thoughts:

- GDI's harvester has pretty incredible amount of cover provided by the tib hill. Nod would have a pretty tough time pushing up around the hill to kill the harvester, especially so considering it'll likely be arties used to control field & siege the base. Perhaps move GDI's harvester route a bit further outwards or increase the cover for Nod's harvester.

- GDI's north entrance seems to have little strategic value aside from the harvester and infantry path. Even less so if additional entrances to the infantry path gets added. Sieging refinery would probably require heavy investment to push up far enough and switching to WF would require vehicles to re-orientate themselves up to hill, giving time to defenders. Not sure if its possible to stack up decent vehicle numbers on the hill anyway. Seems like a pretty large opportunity cost considering you could just go on the south path and hit everything. Try widening/decrease the curvature of the north path? iunno, something to consider.

- Its possible to swim past GDI's southern GT to avoid damage and access WF/Bar. Slow as hell, but possible. Your call.

- GDI's Barracks is kinda floating.

Spoiler

Outpost1.thumb.png.f61be80b7f7255ddd18de790d0fb7c28.png

I do very much like the open field, should make for some interesting tank fights. is this where light tanks can finally shine?!

• Thanks 1

Guest Gliven
3 minutes ago, Xeon Wraith said:

is this where light tanks can finally shine?!

I doubt it, the only advantage i see lights having on this map is their speed being able to reach GDI base pretty quickly.

Stank heaven.

Lots of room for mammies, plus some nice long stretches where they can use their range. It would just take forever to reach Nod base though.

Flames are kind of iffy on this map. There is some decent cover, but advancing between cover would be risky. Flames would only be good to protect arties seiging GDI base

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Changes are posted on the download link page. But a change log from version to version on the first post would be nice. @TK0104 its good for testers to know what has been fixed without playing detective.

Other than the GDI harv getting stuck occasionally and the middle bunker having weird vehicle collisions, the map i'd say is mostly bug free. 

However in terms of map balance, stanks are going to be quite ridiculous given how big and wide the map is. There's a very good chance Nod can wipe the base out if GDI has field control as it is going to be nearly impossible for them to respond in time.

• Totem Arts Staff

Version 1.4.0 is Released! Check it Out!

I've included a complete changelist from V1.1 to 1.4 for the people who wanted it. I'll be updating that one from now one if a new version is released

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, yosh56 said:

This map is missing one very very very crucial thing. 

CRATES!!! Significant amounts of crates for a map this large. 

Will release a new version today with more crates and a higher vehicle limit