1. 1. TS vs Discord

• Teamspeak
    • Discord
    • I don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

On 2017-6-14 at 7:46 PM, TK0104 said:

En nog eens drommels!!! :D

3ejk3.gif

"Kijk baas, met dit apparaatje kan ik mijn greatest hits of hardcore metal op z'n allerhardst afspelen"

I don't mind using Discord, but I don't see the benefit of it compared to TS.

Edited by Ryz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ryz said:

"Kijk baas, met dit apparaatje kan ik mijn greatest hits of hardcore metal op z'n allerhardst afspelen"

That has to be one of the best scenes in Arie and Bastiaan. The sound coming from that boat xD 

• Thanks 1

As far as the client experience goes:

Discord:

• Text channels and voice channels are separate
  • You open Discord; there's no need to connect to any servers
  • Chat history is synchronized for all servers and channels when you open Discord
  • Images and videos are embedded, such that you can view them directly within the Discord client without opening your web browser
  • You can also upload images and videos directly
  • You can upload a profile image/icon, which is then used on every server you're on
  • Users can be given "Roles", which are roughly equivalent to TeamSpeak's simplified permissions groups
  • You can message users directly, without them having to be online.
  • Emotes are frequently used, and can be used to "react" to text messages
  • Servers can create custom emotes
  • Server administrators cannot ever see your IP address
  • You can "friend" and "block" users
  • Server administrators can mute or deafen users
  • Servers are "invite only", though an invite address can be made with unlimited uses and infinite duration
  • Server administrators can delete chat messages
  • Server administrators can change your nickname on that specific server

TeamSpeak:

• Text channels and voice channels are the same
  • You connect to a server address
  • Chat history is not synchronized when you join a TeamSpeak channel or server
  • Images and videos are not embedded; you have to open links in an external web browser
  • You can upload images and videos to a file browser, depending on that server's settings; these are not embedded in chat
  • You can set an avatar image, which is strictly local to the server you set it on
  • Users can be given permission groups
  • You can message a user directly if they are online AND on the same server as you.
  • Emotes are infrequently used, and are rarely used intentionally
  • Servers cannot create custom emotes
  • Server administrators can always see your IP address, and therefore your general location

In general I also tend to argue that the Discord client also has a cleaner appearance in general, though that's strictly an opinion (even if true).

• Like 3

Most importantly with Discord, you don't have to install anything. For example if somebody wants to try out a PUG, they can just join through a browser and hop in without having to use up extra hard drive space to do so.

• Totem Arts Staff

You can also see your ping with discord and know where the server is located.  Discord also has an overlay so you can see who is talking while in game.  Also there's Rembot.

Is it possible to have a bot or something to record the voicechat?

9 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Most importantly with Discord, you don't have to install anything. For example if somebody wants to try out a PUG, they can just join through a browser and hop in without having to use up extra hard drive space to do so.

Including voice chat? Wasn't aware.

Also, dislike having a permanent account associated with it. Just as soon toss the whole thing in the trash can than have admin tagging in the server, for instance. As long as never a problem, then not a problem. First time happens, will only ask once to undo it on my discord through the server, before pretending it's a Mac application as far as threshold of usage is.

Suppose whether TS3 or Discord, just need to hope admins aren't dicks, which is usually the case here (had bad experiences in other discord channels, none I can remember in TS3 channels)

8 hours ago, LavaDr4gon said:

You can also see your ping with discord and know where the server is located.  Discord also has an overlay so you can see who is talking while in game.  Also there's Rembot.

Everything you typed is possible with Teamspeak. (?)

8 hours ago, LavaDr4gon said:

You can do that with TeamSpeak aswell. You could trace the location via IP-address (roughly), and you can have your ping displayed (lower right corner->show ping).

The main advantage I see with TeamSpeak is complete freedom of codecs, I can pick whatever decent/crappy voice codec I want, I can record stuff natively there, as well as the superior permission management. I can decide about the exact rights of users.

Now the question is, do you really need those? Discord uses Opus, which is more than good enough, if I need to do recordings I could use an external programm, okay, and I can control groups with relative ease. Discord has the advantage of combining Slack/IRC and TeamSpeak/Skype into one. And they write usability with a capital U. 

• 4 months later...
  • Agent locked this topic