Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

PUG recap:

Complex: Classic vehicle warfare, Nod with arties and GDI with meds. After a small Med rush fails to damage Hon, Nod gets control of the field and starts hammering the GDI base. Meanwhile, Hotwires were keen on infiltrating into the Nod ref, but all of them were taken care of. At last, a pair of hotties decided to change plans and went for the Hon instead: they succeed and brought down the Hon, but it was too late, since the GDI base was razed to the ground by Nod vehicle forces just seconds later.

Fort: Tech buildings' control bounces between both teams due to several clashes, both with infantry and vehicles. Then, a nuke brings down the WF. Nod gains the upper hand for a while, but GDI retaliates with two Gunner rushes: the first one destroys Hon, and the second one brings down Nod Ref. Nod pushes hard with advanced infantry and vehicles, hoping to succeed. However, they were slain and their nukes promptly disarmed. A final flame rush by Nod is countered hard by Gunners, Sydneys, and Mobiuses. GDI responds in kind with an Ion covered by APCs and advanced infantry, sealing the outcome of the match by destroying the Airstrip.

XMountain: Typical start with infantry going to rush or to the silo. Nod leads an APC rush but does not succeed. After that, Nod takes control of the field with arties and snipers, without leaving GDI a chance to move out; therefore, the latter goes into full defense and camping mode, thwarting a triple SBH nuke, more nukes, and an attempted infiltration. After a lot of pushing back and forth, Nod finally manages to bring the Bar down thanks to a player managing to get inside and c4 its MCT while arties were pounding it. GDI,  after a long, weary, and mostly boring match, decides to surrender after the loss of their Bar.

Arctic Stronghold: Nod starts by leading a flame trooper rush into GDI Ref but they are slain. After that, it is the usual Med vs Arty pushing forth and back, with the occasional MRLS and Flamer, along with snipers picking at each other. Not wanting to have another stalemate, Nod takes the initiative and leads a Stank rush towards GDI WF, but they fail to break its armor. Moments later, the Obelisk is destroyed by GDI vehicles. Taking advantage of the lack of a functional Obelisk, an infantry rush composed by mostly Mobius and Sydney attempts to destroy Air, but they get stopped by the defenders. At last, GDI switches gears and promptly ends the match with a full Med rush, flattening the Nod base in mere seconds.

4 matches, 15~18 players per team, 4-0 for team Quincy.

Edited by Jarzey
  • Like 3

• Totem Arts Staff

I think I finally know names again... so I'll balance out teams next week. We also shouldn't have to worry about teams at the beginning of every match since the patch finally dropped. 

My drunken tail was able to look at teams as soon as I joined and tell who was probably dominating. 

Also.... #RIPDozas .... So sad, we probably would have won Won Arctic if we had a minute and a half extra

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yosh56 said:

Also.... #RIPDozas .... So sad, we probably would have won Won Arctic if we had a minute and a half extra

Move, move, move .... (some time later, almost at enemy ref) ... what happend !? ... (endgame cutscene) ... oh that happend.

i'll ever forget that moment :D

recap: lost 0-4 but had fun

• Like 1

don't get it wrong, but i have to do it -> #blameyosh :D

btt:
nobody knows every single player and can make balanced teams. Maybe you can "upgade" the leaderboard and include stats like accuracy , most played class,etc.
combined with a draft-maker it can be useful (at least in my mind). (future talk)

cheers

Edited by DrSilence

4 hours ago, KrypTheBear said:

Goddamnit Minji. I pretty much forgot what my head looked like after a dozen times of *snip* *snip* *snip*.

Hah. I'm still figuring out what my mouse sensitivity should be. Always too slow or too fast, it's never right lol

7 hours ago, Kuzco said:

Awesome, sounds good. Just hoping my new computer is delivered before then! If so I'm in for sure

I am sure it will be delivered before 'one' of the PUGs, otherwise you will never receive it...

59 minutes ago, Divination said:

As a person who finally took interest enough to dl the client, I take it these weekend pugs might be where the servers actually get used? :^)

@Divination  at the moment there is always at least 1 full server every day. Saturdays is when the regulars and veterans decide to meet up and play with teamspeak3 to play a more organised and competitive game

@Divination The PUG sessions start at 19:00 GMT on Saturday.

if you want to join you just need to be on TS.tyrant.gg a bit before (Normally 15 mins before it is scheduled to begin we start getting people onto the server.)

Please read a copy of the rules on the Teamspeak before joining, so you know what to expect or understand. If you have any further questions about them, please let me know, I will happily explain them.

Frostbite is now done, first game played for this Saturday's PUG should be Frostbite. ;) 

Speak to some of you on Monday, see the rest of you at the PUG on the 24th September. [Possibly]

Much appreciated. :D

Edit: There is an installation readme inside the .rar file, but there is an easier way around this.

Test server has been updated with the new map.

Edited by Madkill40

• Totem Arts Staff

I'll be there as always.

Will record what I can record because sometimes there are 5 matches. The 5th match is mostly after 22:00 pm (Dutch Time) and I'm doing some other stuff after that

Edited by ThommyK0104
  • Like 1

Recap:

Goldrush: typical vehicle warfare, GDI holds the field most of the time, and after a while, GDI manages to bring down Obi by a med rush when Nod techies were focused to disarms an Ion placed at Air. After that, GDI regroups and swarms the base with more meds that completely destroys the Nod base.

Walls: Control of the plateau switches from team to team; Nod leads the initiative by destroying GDI Ref via SBH infiltration and blowing up the MCT. GDI retaliates with a full Orca rush destroying Hon. Afterwards, Nod stocks up on Apaches, holds the plateau, and perform a rush that destroy WF; at the same time of the rush, Bar is finished by an tech.  GDI PP gets blown up shorts moments after.

Whiteout: Nothing too out of ordinary here, GDI manages to hold the hill for a while but in the end Nod arties hammer and demolish WF and GDI Ref with focused fire, prompting GDI to surrender.

Arctic Stronghold: GDI fails to organize any decent rocket/gunner rush, but so does Nod; therefore the match was mostly vehicle warfare. In the end GDI amasses meds and Nod amasses flamers; they both rush at the same time. GDI wins the base race by having more meds and more reps in their base.

Lakeside: Usual match, going for Harvy or Silo. GDI's first rush is composed by Orcas in unison with Hotties; the former bring down Air while the latter getting into and blowing up Hon in the midst of the Orca rush. A second Orca rush with Ions by GDI finishes the Nod Ref.

5 matches; 18~20 players per team, 3-2 for team Yosh.

Edited by Jarzey
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jarzey said:

Recap:

Goldrush: typical vehicle warfare, GDI holds the field most of the time, and after a while, GDUI manages to bring down Obi by a med rush follower by a decoy Ion. After that, GDI regroups and swarms the base with more meds that completely destroys the Nod base.

P.S That was no decoy, that was going to blow up your strip, I was there with a Spy Sakura :)

Also if anyone wants the Demo Files for the PUG to see how they played out from the viewpoint of any individual player, you can download them here: PUG Demo Files (17/09/2016)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fffreak9999 said:

P.S That was no decoy, that was going to blow up your strip, I was there with a Spy Sakura :)

Also if anyone wants the Demo Files for the PUG to see how they played out from the viewpoint of any individual player, you can download them here:

My point exactly, a decoy beacon will destroy something if it succeeds, but its main purpose is to lure the enemy engis away from their buildings. Note that by decoy I don't mean fake; they are quite different. Now, I am pretty sure the Meds didn't bother to cover your Ion, as it was too far away, so I will classify it as decoy.

From RenX wiki:

"Nuke as decoy

In this tactic, the purpose of a beacon will not be to destroy the enemy building that it is placed at, but instead to grab the attention of the enemy team and make them focus on disarming such a nuke, while an allied Hotwire or a Technician sneaks and destroys a different building OR while your team makes a vehicle rush for a different building. Even the most organized defense can fall to this smart tactic. Often performed on the same maps as the multiple nuke tactic and more often on Marathon and not on All-Out-War, so as not to give the enemy team free points for disarming.

Fake nuke

This is the only of the mentioned tactics where a nuke is not placed at an enemy building. The purpose of such beacon can be to force the enemy team to fall back and check their whole base to look for it. This is why, contrary to a decoy nuke placed at one of enemy buildings, it does not help allied sneaking Advanced Engineers. Fake nukes are also often deployed randomly without any purpose by players who have too much credits on their hands. This can be annoying and excessive nuke spam is sometimes punished by the game moderators. To counter this tactic, you cannot deploy a Superweapon Beacon in your own base."

Edited by Jarzey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarzey said:

Lakeside: Usual match, going for Harvy or Silo. GDI's first rush is composed by Orcas in unison with Hotties; the former bring down Air while the latter getting into and blowing up Hon in the midst of the Orca rush. A second Orca rush with Ions by GDI finishes the Nod Ref.

isn't it was common knowledge now that if you do anything else but an air rush on lakeside you're going to get your ass handed to?

Well, our team agreed that we are going for the air rush, but because we did not take care of our harvester or silos, we didn't have enough credits for Apaches. When we started getting Apaches, Orca rush was already on it's way to us.

Rush gathering was disappointing most of the time on our team. We needed way too long to get people together.
But on Arctic Stronghold I was like "IMHO this team is awful at making rushes, please prove me wrong faggots".
And they did. It was fastest, most organised and most effective med rush I have seen in a long time.

Jarzey, the beacon was actually the main purpose of the rush that occured that took down the Ob, it just didn't work as intended. The beacon was disarmed, but the rush suceeded, when the beacon was actually meant to suceed but the rush distract people from the beacon.

That is why I said it wasn't a decoy, it just ended up being that way due the actions of your team.

The beacon was under the strip, since I managed to get there via Spy.

1 hour ago, Fffreak9999 said:

That is why I said it wasn't a decoy, it just ended up being that way due the actions of your team.

So.... implying from your statement "that way", you are telling me that the Ion was a decoy after my team's reaction. Conclusion? the Ion ended up being a decoy for the Med rush. Sometimes plans do not work as intended, but the results are what matter most in the recaps.

Edited by Jarzey
  • Like 1

On walls I asked Yosh to meet me behind the GDI ref with an sbh, while i snuck in with a tech driving a stank. But somehow we managed to have 3 or 4 sbh behind GDI ref. Yosh got in my stank while i disarmed mines and i ran in with an sbh and c4'd the mct. 

I planned to do the same to the GDI pp, but AT mines killed my stank at the GDI base entrance, i ran and hid under the ramp on the right by the bar for about 2-5 mins waiting for my chance to sneak in. Yosh nuked the pp, so i used that as a distraction to sneak into the barracks, and then appaches rushed in and attacked the weapons factory. This rush was not planned at all. it just....sorta happend lol.

2 hours ago, Gliven said:

On walls I asked Yosh to meet me behind the GDI ref with an sbh, while i snuck in with a tech driving a stank. But somehow we managed to have 3 or 4 sbh behind GDI ref. Yosh got in my stank while i disarmed mines and i ran in with an sbh and c4'd the mct. 

I planned to do the same to the GDI pp, but AT mines killed my stank at the GDI base entrance, i ran and hid under the ramp on the right by the bar for about 2-5 mins waiting for my chance to sneak in. Yosh nuked the pp, so i used that as a distraction to sneak into the barracks, and then appaches rushed in and attacked the weapons factory. This rush was not planned at all. it just....sorta happend lol.

It was less a "decoy" and more a "2 pronged attack". By your definition, the ion was not planned to be a decoy, your team made it a decoy by focusing on it. The ion and the tank rush were both equal-partners, and in fact fffreak9999 is entirely telling the truth, the meds were supposed to shell Obby to prevent response to the ion, but the Obby was abandoned, the tanks got an armor break, and only when they got it, they dived in.

Note, they did not PLAN to dive in, they got the armor break, Yosh did the "homina-homina-homina-homina" thing, then yelled "Obby is outdamaged, tanks all go in!".

Okay, first, you quoted the wrong person: Gliven was talking about the match on Walls.

Moving on, Fffreak was under the strip tunnels. Now I don't know if he had allies down there, but let's say that he planted the ion solo. So he was probably thinking that techies were too busy keeping Obi repaired from the meds that did not plan to move out, but rather being a decoy (the meds were supposed to shell Obby to prevent response to the ion) for him and his ion.

Since players usually prioritize beacons over repairs, the outcome was the Ion luring out techies from Obi and therefore granting the opportunity for the meds to rush in and destroy Obi.

And I would like to add that I am not accusing Fffreak of being a liar in any way. Fffreak himself stated that due to the action of my team, the Ion became a decoy for the meds. Note, from my team's perspective, his Ion would indeed appear to be a decoy, since he was probably defending it solo and there were tanks outside our base.

My point is that the beacon worked unintentionally as a decoy. The original plan was to destroy Air, but in the end, the Ion was the main factor leading to the destruction of Obi.

I'm just saying. In Chess, that was not a "decoy". A 2 pronged attack, also sometimes called "double jeopardy", is for example, moving a knight to a position where it can strike either a rook or a bishop, and you can only save 1 on the next move. Another example, is moving a rook, opening a bishop across the board as well as opening an enemy knight, he can only save one next turn.

By your logic, a nuke mass, means that all of them are "Schrodinger's decoys" until one or more hits a target, the ones that "failed" despite equal effort, are all "decoys", while the random ones that did hit get to be labeled as "the point of the attack all along". This, is not called "decoy" either, this is called "smorgasbord", where you jeopardize the same target with so many sources of attack, that there's no way to prevent each and every attack.

A decoy, could be making an obvious attack or opening, like a solo Ion, and then slapping the motherfucker upside the head with a 2by4... which would appear to be what happened to Nod that game, which is why I can understand your logic. I am merely saying it wasn't set up as a decoy. It wasn't planned out as "I'll plant an ion, and when they leave obby, shitstomp them", it was planned out as "I'll plant Ion, and they'll be too busy repairing obby under fire to send more than 3 guys to respond, which I can shoot all in the face", then it turned into "oh, they left the obby, while it's under fire... welp, don't stop shelling it now!"....

For the record, my first suggestion, was "plant against the side of the obby, and we'll drive in and park atop the ion until it does its job". That, would be called "attack with cover", and it would have been preferable to "taking the airstrip instead", but what happened instead was much better.

It seems that we are talking from our perspectives during that match. I understand why you see it as a 2 pronged attack: strike Air and Obi at the same time, they will only be able to save 1 building. And my perspective was the Ion set up being a decoy for the meds for the reasons aforementioned.

In chess, you are going to lose 1 piece in that situation for sure. In RenX, by "resource allocation", if I am not wrong, we could have saved both buildings if most of the techies remained in Obi, 2 or 3 followed with other non-tech players to disarm the beacon. Of course it is quite a challenge to commandeer a team and allocate resources when there is a ticking and ominous countdown that spells death for one of your buildings. But then there is also a limited number of resources that you can allocate, so maybe there was no way for my team to keep both buildings alive.

I guess I wasn't that specific: but I was referring only to this instance of meds and single Ion for this argument; of course I don't see multi nukes as a mass decoys and the one that happens to go off as the planned and crucial nuke (I would rather consider multi nukes as.... multi nukes).

Whatever, no need to add fuel to the flame, I will handle it to you. People won't really care for trivialities like this in reviews. Guess next time I won't bother to be that specific when writing recaps. People who want to see what happened can always go watch the videos or replay the demo files.

Edited by Jarzey

• Totem Arts Staff

Only one thing needs to be said... NEXT LEVEL TACTICS! Orca rush on Lakeside?!! Unheard of. 

Also... where the hell did the whole Super Saijan thing come from on Whiteout? Other team went from cowering in fear to over 9000 artys pounding WF to death. 

• Like 3

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade X - PUG September 17th

Round 1: Goldrush

Round 2: Walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctOMTF1DCs

Round 3: Whiteout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpu8B9pkFBw

Round 4: Artic Stronghold

Online: September 21th

Round 5: LakeSide

Online: September 22th

Edited by ThommyK0104
Adding Videos
  • Like 1

Idk. Spy Sakura. You had to have gotten ks.ol to stop fiddling with infantry path long enough to go over there and defend the diffuse. No other 3 or less man group would have avoided faceshot in a tunnel, no group larger than 3 would have allowed adequate repair and defense of obby. If Nod would have pulled it off, it might've been match-changing; Nod lands a flame rush on AGT or an infiltration of WF, Nod goes on to win PUG, and the crowd goes wild.

4 hours ago, Testman said:

We were suppressing our power level.

That was cause everybody was asked to stop shooting WF for an x amount of time, which the team surprisingly did. Than we pounded it again with whole team at same second. 

Main issue (again) was some people not listing to teamchat. I don't get why the team decided on roles (2 persons asigned by name as a sniper, rest tech or arty for example) only to see 4 snipers and 3 sbh doing 'something)' It was basically like we had 4 ` 6 afks at some moments. The first rounds there was also frustration when asked about mines. followed by a lot of sighing and things like "I guess we missed them 'name random place'" cause people were to annoyed to answer for real...

Last thing I noticed that not even half the team talked on TS and that people didn't answer to questions at all for 90 percent of the time....

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a menslaught for the losing team and it was pretty good, but I also think we just got lucky and that it could have easily been 5 - 0.

Edited by Ryz
  • Like 1

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic