Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

• Totem Arts Staff
3 people recording and 1 streaming all on the same team, those people really need to be divided up to see both perspectives instead of watching the same game 3 times.

Yeah maybe IF we have 4 recorders, 2 on GDI and 2 on Nod. Need to be asked before PUG so we can switch teams

3 people recording and 1 streaming all on the same team, those people really need to be divided up to see both perspectives instead of watching the same game 3 times.

Yeah maybe IF we have 4 recorders, 2 on GDI and 2 on Nod. Need to be asked before PUG so we can switch teams

We need to split up..... a lot of people.... for the PUG.

Btw, I'm easily available for this PUG. I will sit in TS3 eagerly awaiting my appointment to a team.

• Totem Arts Staff

I prefer to add these custom maps to the rotation:

- Fort

- Tomb

- Gobi

- Snow

- Crash Site

[Maybe] - Training Yard (Need to be re-downloaded, map itself is missing)

• Totem Arts Staff

Good PUG as always!

Too bad it took a decade to get the teams right.............because I noticed at the half of the first round I was on the wrong team :/. So I had to switch TS channels to get on the right team

So I recorded the same faction what Gliven also was probably doing

2jQzNxgPF94

Teams are being looked at for next week, myself, Freak, Yosh, B0ng or which ever admins are playing will be checking for new players in the PUG and dragging them aside to make sure they are listening to Teamspeak and able to reply be it vocally on teamspeak or via chat, we all know who the regulars are in the PUG so most weeks there are only 4-5 new people, if they can't respond either way they will not be given the password this way we can filter out the people who really want to play in the PUG as at the end of the day its meant for organised play not going solo.

Password will also not been spammed on teamspeak channel anymore and instead sent individually on teamspeak amongst the regulars and new players once we have established whether or not they can at the very least communicate and listen. So please once the password has been handed to you next week no spamming or sharing it out :)

Sounds harsh but being able to even sort teams comes down to people listening on teamspeak and if we can't even sort teams what hope is there in a PUG.

• Totem Arts Staff

Actually, I think the teams were okay in the beginning. What happened was before the teams were placed, Team 1 agreed to be GDI first and Team 2 would be NOD. Instead what happened was everyone on Team 1 was placed on NOD, while Team 2 was GDI. As a result people thought they were on the wrong team and manually switching themselves to the faction they were suppose to be on when actually they were still with their team.

Players just need to be unable to change their own team when bIsCompetitive is true. The same goes with name changing, which also messes teams up for non-steam users.

As I've mentioned, the automatic team retention works correctly. The only other "flaw" is if not all players have loaded in, which is rare.

Yeah the teams were a bit chaotic but the PUG itself was good, but also a bit boring. I rather have it this way than play without having the feeling you do it together, but I think both teams kept things on the safe side too much.

And those solo people not responding at all. How are they able to understand how to log in the game and yet they don't understand the game or any chat / teamspeak at all. If you can read the password, than you can read (team)chat.

I think both teams kept things on the safe side too much.

We played to win :D

Walls

Nothing much happened for the first 30 minutes, just fighting for the plateau. GDI was doing better though and killed a few Nod harvesters, building up the point advantage. With about 10 minutes to go Nod was 3k points behind and tried flame rushing, stank rushing and rocket rushing. Only the rocket rush accomplished something and damaged our ref to ~30 health, but that didn't help and GDI won with a comfortable point advantage.

Lakeside

GDI lost the first harvester and that probably cost them a lot. Nod rushed first, apaches moved on ref while SBH nuked the WF. Meanwhile 2 technicians used the opportunity to sneak in to barracks and destroy it. Next apache rush badly damaged WF and the third one finished up both ref and WF.

GDI tried to orca rush twice and tried to get some vehicles to field to kill our harvester, but they didn't really accomplish anything, all of Nod buildings remained with full health.

Whiteout

During the initial harvester fight, 3 flame troopers managed to get to WF unnoticed and destroyed it. GDI responded with a full team rocket rush, but since Nod controlled the comm center, they knew what's coming. Still, the firepower of 18 rocketmen/gunners proved to be enough to kill HoN and badly damage Nod ref.

Not that it mattered, since 1 or 2 artilleries destroyed what was left of GDI base meanwhile :P

Field

Nod controlled the field and comm center for 80% of the game, killing probably every single GDI harvester. First, WF fell to 2 technicians (the comm center helps a lot with infiltrating as well), then GDI PP fell to a stank rush and GDI surrendered.

Being unable to control the field, GDI tried to rush through the tunnels, but the comm center absolutely denied every their attempt. This game was all about this tech building.

~19v19, 3-1, GG.

And those solo people not responding at all. How are they able to understand how to log in the game and yet they don't understand the game or any chat / teamspeak at all. If you can read the password, than you can read (team)chat.

The only way I can see this being dealt with, is if it is added to the rules. Then we can do regular checkups to see if the players respond, if they don't, give them another chance or two, if they still don't then kick them or something.

The only way I can see this being dealt with, is if it is added to the rules. Then we can do regular checkups to see if the players respond, if they don't, give them another chance or two, if they still don't then kick them or something.

Fine by me!

Even suggested something to temp lock a player till he answers a big message. Not cause we need the reply, but because we want people to teach stuff and afaik a lot of the new players don't read. Forcing them to reply, will make sure they have reached the messages. Would prevent a lot of (vote)kicks and would be good for the playerbase. But I guess this is not only PUG related.

We are going to try sort that out this coming PUG Ryz, as said we will drag all the new players aside before the PUG starts and mention to them the rules and how the PUG works, and see if they respond at all.

People need to refrain from spamming the password for the server on teamspeak as well.

We are going to try sort that out this coming PUG Ryz, as said we will drag all the new players aside before the PUG starts and mention to them the rules and how the PUG works, and see if they respond at all.

People need to refrain from spamming the password for the server on teamspeak as well.

Yeah, I know. I was just reacting on the discussion, but knew about the plans you have!

Fun before the PUG started:

Rule: "Do not kill any buildings"

GeneralHavoc joins, we talk 10 min if the can hear us, no reply. Than someone is about to kill the WF. We let it happen to see who is it. Seconds before -> General Havoc: "Got WF"

Lot of noise on TS -> ban!

Well, if the ban of GeneralHavoc was a highlight, then the PUG itself can't have been that good. :P

Overall I'm with Newbie ("You"), the PUG wasn't that good from my point of view.

On Goldrush Team 1 was dominating, which I think wasn’t very surprising with Bong, Quincy, Jeff and Yosh on the same team.

Then I was one of 2 people who got moved to Team 2 for balancing, but without telling me beforehand. At least I heard no one saying anything about that, so I got surprised by that, which I didn’t like. Also I don't think that I’m a player who makes much of a difference. The crucial players (skill/mood-wise) are mainly the ones mentioned above.

So after Team 2 also lost Arctic Stronghold, Jeff moved to Team 2, but only for 1 game (What was the point of that?).

On Walls: After Newbie’s infiltration of the airstrip, Team 2 didn’t accomplish much anymore, besides defending the hill and the base from some attacks of Team 1. So at the end after Team 1 surrendered some people from Team 2 already left the PUG and Jeff moved back to Team 1.

Canyon was okay basically, but also left a bitter taste. At the beginning Team 1 saved their ref from a chem rush and Team 2 tried to push with arties and flame tanks, but were slowly pushed back by meds. Then our refinery got destroyed and a well-placed airstrike totally pushed us back. Right after that Quincy placed an ion near the airstrip defended by meds. In anticipation of the airstrip getting destroyed a surrender vote passed, right when the ion failed to destroy the airstrip…

Really a wtf-moment, but Team 2 would have lost again anyways and the morale was low after 3 defeats and a victory, which didn’t really feel like one and so we didn’t play another map.

PUG Recap:

Warm-up map highlights: The player GeneralHavoc destroys WF when everyone was explicitly told not to destroy any building. Considering that he did not listen to previous remarks, GDI decided to let him destroy WF to teach him a lesson. After that, hilariousness ensues in TS, and in the end he gets banned.

(Courtesy of Jeff)

Actual PUG matches:

Goldrush

Both teams decided to save for tanks. Nod managed to hold the field first with Arties, shelling the GDI Ref to keep Hotties stuck in base, while GDI Harv was also constantly harassed from the side vehicle path. With the Arties pounding, Nod pushed on with flamer and stank rushes, ultimately managing to destroy Ref and AGT. GDI had several Meds, but they never managed to take the field and were dispatched easily if they went too far from base. Lastly, a sniper on Nod kept watch of GDI infantry path, denying them any chances for surprise rushes.

Arctic Stronghold

GDI starts with a full-team rocket rush against Nod PP; Nod manages to save it at first, but later a Gunner rush finishes the PP. After that and some pushing back and forth, GDI, having control of the EMP Cannon and the vehicle paths, besieges the Nod base. HON is blown up by a Gunner who managed to slip inside, Nod Ref is destroyed by a sneaking hottie and at last the GDI siege brings down Obelisk . Only thing worth mentioning on Nod is that a lone player managed to damage Ref to 40 armor without being engi/tech, before GDI attacked and Nod decided to surrender.

Walls

Classic Walls start, both team go for each others Harv. GDI saves for a early Med rush but Nod repels them back. The crucial point of this match comes when a sneaking Hottie destroys Airstrip. After that, GDI played cautiously, kept control of plateau with Orcas, Havocs, and Sydneys. Nod attempted a triple SBH nuke and a rocket rush, but they were quickly called out and dealt accordingly. Realizing that they will not be able to catch up on points, Nod surrenders at last.

Canyon

Initial Chem rush is denied by GDI defenders; both Harvies are destroyed. Arties take the field for a while, until Meds roll out, retaking the field. Following up, Nod Ref is destroyed by both vehicle fire and sneaking players; Arties are pushed back to Air, where they are pulverized by a well timed Airstrike. GDI plants an ion on the strip and covers it with its tanks, prompting Nod to surrender. The ion somehow misses the strip; however, it was too late as Nod had already started the surrendering vote.

4 matches in total; around 17 players per team; 3-1 for Team B0ng.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the recap Jarzey :)

Yeah, I think the games weren't that great. The teams looked balanced though, especially after the first swap.

Arctic Stronghold

Actually, the Nod PP was finished by another gunner rush. We did 3 in total and the 3rd one finally had enough damage & suprise element. Another fun thing was that, after PP went down, I infiltrated your base with a gunner and killed HoN solo (except for the last one hit) while your team was busy defending the Obelisk.

What I really don't get is what the 'losing' team did. Besides the Chemrush on Canyon I didn't really see a coordinated attack at all? Did people not listen in general, or what was the issue?

Noticed on Walls, when teams got changed, that we received far less feedback from the team. I took us 10 (!) minutes to make the mines be 'right' and before that we lost the strip.

For me this PUG was ok, but again I have the feeling some players need to understand the commanders orders more. When we did a multi nuke attack I donated a teammember cause he asked explicitly for money for a nuke. Than he arrived at the enemy base without one and I was like: "How?" Seen stuff like this happen more often. I can understand this is PUB behavior, but for a PUG it shouldn't happen unless you are named General Havoc :D

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic