Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

It was well organized, don't get me wrong, and it also wasn't like one team was completely unable to form together. It just seemed, that when both teams threw dps balls at each other, one specific team scored a kill on a structure first, while the other was just sending their attack out. I could ponder on the ramifications of life as we know it, but I rather just work on feeling better like Agent chose to.

Honestly, there were at least 5 players I recognize from PUG matches playing PUBs during the time of the PUG, and we made an IRC post so IDK why they didn't move to the PUG game. Not really questioning that much either, xept the fact that when next week rolls around in full organization people are going to be clawing and kicking at each other for a seat if it's limited, when ones like today have low attendance just due to the absence of like 5 people.

I mean, the attendance, the organization, and the fact that if someone isn't here to use judgement then it seems like it splits into a stomp. At least last 2 weeks seemed that way. Did Team-Tony win even 1 match, even after rebalance? (me leaving if anything left an opportunity to move SOMEONE across teams, but my guess was they retained their top players on their team even after rebalance)

I really enjoyed this PUG personally, mainly because I got to be the commander and my team cooperated well and we won ;)

To be fair the games were not that interesting, except for Lakeside.

Walls

Early APC filled with engineers kills the not-yet-mined GDI PP and this sets the tone for the rest of the game - Nod pushing and GDI struggling to defend. WF and barracks fall to nukes with air cover, the refinery is finished with a classic flame rush.

XMountain

The two most classic GDI units (hotwires and medium tanks) crush Nod :)

HoN and Nod refinery fall early game to sneaky hotwires and the game is finished with med + ion rush on the Airstrip & PP.

After these 2 games we re-balanced the teams a little and it worked out well.

Lakeside

Once again this map brings a good game full of action. Nod stank rush fails, but an apache rush afterwards succeeds and kills GDI refinery. Shortly after 2 hotwires manage to sneak in and kill the airstrip. Nod struggles to defend without vehicles while GDI defense is good. As a result, SBH, chems and rocket soldier rushes all are fended off while HoN falls to vehicle mass. Nod surrendered few minutes before the time ended, while GDI had a big point lead and was camping hard.

Islands

First PUG game on this map where I didn't see Nod mass arties in the early game. Instead they went for the infamous scary light tank rush, which failed bad and shortly after GDI took control of the field and kept it until the end of the game. All Nod buildings fall to mass meds basically.

I can only speak for my team, but here the communication and cooperation was very good and I think we had fun (at least those whom I didn't make camp the base and defend the whole game had fun :P).

3-1 overall, ~13v13, good PUG. Special thanks to Agent and fffreak for dealing with the usual technical stuff.

It nearly did get cancelled, fortunately Agent managed to pull through and set up a server for us.

Was kinda awkward to get used to the Team Swapping commands, but by game 2, was fairly good at it.

In terms of organisation out of game, was quite poor, but in-game was reasonable, if only unable to handle the enemy team that well.

Lakeside was Team Tony's time to shine :P

Was fun, but definately needed to be set up more in advance rather than 40 minutes of set-up needed to get the commands and teams sorted.

So is 5.15 gonna be released before this week's PUG? I'm sick of the same old maps. Who else is with me?

It needs to be released today then. If tomorrow, people will be unable to update in time. They get on 2 hours before the PUG, and see an update, depending on their setup it is 3 hours later before it's ready to join.

Quinc3y is going to have a Cnc_FieldDay reciting the tales of glory from this week.

What do you mean? :D I missed this PUG unfortunately :(

Dafuq? Okay... let me try...

Walls: Nod breathed life into it's first harvester. Not really any further ones beyond that. Took a hellova beating from GDI tanks that kept a 10/10 force the entire game. 6 minutes from the end, with no hope in sight, Nod organizes a nuke alongside a stealth tank rush, then a flame rush alongside another nuke, and eventually claims 3 structures at once. The last one falls, 27 seconds before map-time, resulting in a win for Nod by base destruction.

Unknown Map: Update when someone reminds me, have a headache.

Field: GDI controlled field 4/5 of the game. Nod contested field, using very unpredictable infantry slams onto buildings few and far between. Dinged Barracks with Mendoza the first time. 10 minutes later, finished it off. Damaged WF once. Since field was GDI all game, score was GDI all game. 4 minutes until the end, rash rushes by Nod trying to make up a point deficit, allowed GDI a beacon nobody responded to, killing Obby 1 minute from end. GDI wins by score. Make note, were it 5.15 score, Nod would have had score lead after Bar kill and would have been less desperate and would have won.

For Field:

"If it was marathon we would win"

And then the Obby exploded. I believe you should retract your statement.

Generally, it makes sense than a team would not be as desperate to flock entirely from base leaving it completely undefended, if it were not at the 3 minute time with 4k score loss.

Would your strategy be different on Field if it were 3 minutes with 4k score loss, compared to 3 minutes with 2k score advantage, or 4k score loss on marathon? I trust your integrity not to pass that very real question aside. Even you would have abandoned base for attack in the prior situation, while you would have fought a longer war of attrition and defense in the latter situation.

Not a bad PUG imo :) New maps finally!

Grassy Knoll

I've played this map quite a few times on public servers and it was almost always the same - GDI dominating the game all the way. I expected the same here, but suprisingly it went different. Early arty spam worked well for Nod and we managed to destroy the key structure for GDI on this map, the guard tower. After that I lucked out a little and killed GDI ref with stank + tech and it was practically game over.

GoldRush(the new version)

Very easy for GDI. Obelisk falls to vehicle mass (wasn't even a rush, just not enough repairs on the key structure...), soon after that Nod ref goes down and they surrender. I don't know where team Nod was the whole game really, did not see any effort from them.

Complex

Intense game. No buildings are destroyed and GDI wins with a few hundred points only. It looked good for Nod in the beginning, we had a 1,5k point lead and barracks was down to 30 health so it seemed like an easy target for stanks. But GDI was organized, started massing meds and was defending bar very well. The deciding moment imo was the raveshaw rush in the last minutes. It was close to succeeding and if it killed barracks, Nod would have won on points. The 2 solo nukes didn't help us with points either.

I liked how the new pointing system worked on this map. I'm sure that with the old way of giving points for damaging building armor, Nod would have won easily with the amount of arty spam on WF we had. But the new system is more fair and it reflects the advantage in field better.

Tomb

No big story with this game, another easy win for GDI. Tank mass that Nod cannot counter leads to losing building after building. Well yeah, this one also looks like a GDI map in my experience.

Canyon

Early APC kills the not-yet-mined Nod refinery and it's game over. We really should have spotted and countered that APC ealier and not when it was already parking at the door to our ref.

20v20 mostly, team Bong wins 3-2, GDI wins 4 out of 5 games. It was fun on our side!

GoldRush(the new version)

Very easy for GDI. Obelisk falls to vehicle mass (wasn't even a rush, just not enough repairs on the key structure...), ...

I think Bananas was in the Ob or atleast in our base. I was one of the engies trying to get in to rep it and died together with other engies to Bananas C4 i think. Whatever it was it was some sneaky intruding, not just vehs powering it down.

GDI was constant afk repairing bar very well.

Aye. We hit it by surprise at least 4 times, and didn't even scratch the armor because at least 2 hotwires were repairing it before we even fired. As lol-tastic as that is, it still burns me that hotwires have the manpower and repair power to get away with this.

If I were on that team, and bar was at 30, I too could eat a hot pocket and "startfire 0" the mct while keeping an eye on door mines and watching anime on another screen. Sorry but this really chafes at me a bit.

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic