Pick Up Games (PUGs)

yosh56

Yeah, good games :)

Goldrush

Well, this one actually wasn't that good. GDI having advantage in field for the majority of the game and at one point almost killing our refinery with a med rush. Nod managed to kill the barracks with a rocket rush combined with spy ion at GDI PP, but that still left us 3k points behind.

To tell the truth I don't know where GDI got all those points from, Nod didn't even buy & lose that many vehicles to feed them.

GDI win on points.

Walls

Very intense. First ~25 minutes is pushing back-and-forth, fighting for the plateau and Nod having the initiative for the most part, but the score remained equal for both sides. Then a hotwire managed to sneak in and kill HoN while a tech killed GDI PP. At that point GDI had a few hundred points advantage with ~7 minutes to go and we decided to camp this out. The gate to the GDI base was blocked by 2 mammoths and that made the stank rush fail. We even had another hotwire kill Nod PP in the last minutes before we won on points.

Tomb

GDI putting pressure on Nod and having a point advantage for the whole game, except for the 1 minute after SBH/tech (?) killed GDI refinery. 1 minute, because after that we lost our ref to a vehicle mass that came as a suprise for us - all our tanks were at harvester area. No luck.

Don't really know what my team was doing after we lost our ref. I asked to save up for tanks, but we never got past 3/10. I also asked for SBH C4 rush multiple times, but didn't see any response either. Was actually rather pissed at that point.

Meds rolling in inside our base was a matter of time, we lost airstrip and surrendered.

Complex

Once again intense. And once again our team was struggling to take initiative and control the field. Nod locked us in our base in the early game and that resulted in losing barracks to nuke with tank cover. We did kill a lot of flame tanks tho, so we were only ~700 points behind after this. And I thought having no bar would mean we will have our vehicle limit maxed out at all times... but it wasn't the case. We still managed to do 2 decent med rushes and one beacon at airstrip was a few seconds away from succeeding.

But we did lack hotwire support on tanks and also we lacked hotwires repairing buildings and this is how we lost WF and later ref.

And I agree that there was too much complaining and trash talking on TS during the games. Still, I had fun just like every week.

Team bong win 3-1!

BTW, is there any kind of way to learn how to use the commander mod? I'd love to use its potential, but I struggle with it right now.

Yeah, good games :)

Goldrush

Well, this one actually wasn't that good. GDI having advantage in field for the majority of the game and at one point almost killing our refinery with a med rush. Nod managed to kill the barracks with a rocket rush combined with spy ion at GDI PP, but that still left us 3k points behind.

To tell the truth I don't know where GDI got all those points from, Nod didn't even buy & lose that many vehicles to feed them.

GDI win on points.

Probably by killing harvester many many times

and Tomb is not a map that i played before so i was a bit a like a tourist not knowing where to go ..didnt enjoy so Id I left

BTW, is there any kind of way to learn how to use the commander mod? I'd love to use its potential, but I struggle with it right now.

Should be added to the main game if you ask me.

Wasn't it? I distinctly remember it being added to vanilla game. Which means, go to skirmish, and vote yourself as commander? Then you can practice using the spotting.

Should be added to the main game if you ask me.

Wasn't it? I distinctly remember it being added to vanilla game. Which means, go to skirmish, and vote yourself as commander? Then you can practice using the spotting.

No

No

Then, can you pull the mutator from the cache, host a local server of Renegade-X with the config set to load the mutator, and join same-machine to the server and vote yourself commander and use spotting...?

What I know you can do, is probably vote yourself commander and some bots, on an empty CT server during down hours if they run the commander mod, or after a PUG when everyone leaves oneday since it certainly runs the commander mod.

Cool :)

Walls

Quick game where Nod standed no chance, overwhelmed by meds & orcas early on.

Mesa

Early game brought the exchange of GDI Ref (killed by rocket rush) for HoN (sneaky hotwire). Looks like a change benefitting Nod if you ask me, but it turned out that the lack of tech support on vehicles was very troublesome for Nod. GDI had advantage in field for the rest of the game, building up a huge point lead and killing Nod ref (vehicle mass) and the Obelisk (sneaky hotwire again) in the final minutes of the game.

Nod seemed organized, tried flame rushing, rocket rushing and chem rushing but all their attempts were called out early and answered. GDI win on points.

So far this map guarantees at least one destroyed building on both sides.

Eyes

Close until the last minutes, probably the best of the games on Eyes on recent PUGs.

Sneaky hotwire killed HoN early while sneaky technicians barely killed PP and Ref so that the score remained equal. Then 30 minutes of vehicle combat happened, with the score being close the whole time. GDI tried med rushing twice and they failed, which probably gave Nod the few-hundred-points advantage that was enough to win. Also GDI PP was finished by a sneaky engineer in literally the last seconds of the game.

Canyon

Both refineries fell early to a sneaky tech and a sneaky hotwire... and then Bong stole a flame tank, I brought a med and planted ion at the end of strip and it turned out that this was enough to cover that ion (kinda lame if you ask me :P).

I must have played at least a hundred games on Canyon by now and I've never seen Nod make a comeback here after losing the Airstrip. And guess what? That didn't happen this time either! Second ion killed HoN and finished the job.

3-1 total, ~18v18. What's worth noting is that a total of 6 buildings were killed solo by hotwires/techs/engis. Must be a record, I remember solo kills being fairly rare on PUGs usually, where teams are organized and losing mines is being called out early.

On a different note; Kenz just uploaded the recording of Tomb from last week's PUG (here:

) and you can see probably all flaws of the PUGs.

People ignoring the commander, complaining and blaming the map/balance the whole time, talking off-topic instead of focusing on the game...

Kenz, no offence, but you played so bad, you literally did nothing to help the team the whole game. You took part in killing their ref, but that was only thanks to Lava randomly showing up and helping you. Apart from that you were just getting random infantry and dieing like a noob every time. At 7:10 you were a tech in our base and there was a guy q-spamming that ref needs repair, but you didn't even look at that direction - instead you chose to leave the base and die like a noob one more time. We lost the ref a moment later and that was the turning point of the game imo.

I hope you guys consider this as constructive criticism and not flaming. Maybe on next occasion PUG players will think one more time before doing stuff described above.

Okay, so 7pm GMT? So, 1pm US Central as of last month? So 2pm US Central as of last week, due to daylight savings adjustments?

So.... WHY 1pm this week? :/

EDIT: Apparently, because daylight savings came 1 week after it came here, in GMT. Go figure. At least it's 1pm again for not on.

Walls - Nod tries early rocket rush, deals about 25 perma damage to ref. Vehicle slugging ensues for the rest of the game, with artys managing to continue chipping down the ref down another 50 HP. Nod overall performed better with their apaches and inf, and held onto a strong 2k point lead. GDI made one final push with Orcas and trannys with gunners and other inf to bring down the Hon to 2 HP until the final seconds, but sadly wasn't enough. Nod wins on points

Volcano - Nod tries a huge chem rush through the tib field, but got chewed down by officers. Both starting harvys were destroyed. After a couple of minutes of vehicle slugging, a tech brings down the WF. GDI tried a gunner rush on the Hon but failed to do any perma damage. GDI then crumbles to flamers and nukes.

Lakeside - Both GDI and Nod went for Orcas and Apaches right off the bat. Nod rushed first and brought the Bar down about 30 HP, and GDI rushed right after and failed to do any perma damage. Nod then decided to take some field control with ground vehicles, and GDI went for another orca rush and brought the strip down about 30 HP. Nod transitioned back to Apaches and both teams went on a staring contest. GDI got impatient and rushed the ref and failed to do any damage, and a tech brought the Bar down and Nod retaliated with their Apaches and destroyed the Ref. Nod then went for Stanks and defended against another orca rush, but failed to do anything productive other than that. A tranny filled with Ravs and LCGs along with SBH nukes and apaches finally brought down the WF.

Complex - Standard silo slug-fest, GDI beatdown. Nod did have a somewhat successful stank rush bringing the ref down about 70 HP, but other than that, there wasn't much hope. Ion at the end of the strip with all tanks covering sealed the deal, and finished the game by taking the ref down with tanks and the Hon with an Ion.

Xmountain - Nod decided to go for a full out SBH rush but got interrupted by an APC rush. The SBH then decided to take and hold the field. Nod tank play was overall superior and held the field for the majority of the game. When GDI finally pushed out and held the field somewhat, an SBH nuke at the PP brought it down. GDI then crumbled by mass tanks after an attempted hottie rush.

Team2 wins 4, Team1 wins 1

Nod 4, GDI 1

For me, this PUG was a bit mediocre.

Being on TeamSpeak for communication is great, but that is just a tool, it's how we use it that determines it's efficiency.

IMHO, team needs one of two things to function properly:

1. Good strategist that comes up with plan and loudly/clearly commands other players (drunk Yosh would be good example of that) OR

2. Good and fast way for multiple players to diplomatically come up with a plan which whole team then follows.

Also, would it be possible to make bots aware of commander mod and follow given commands, so that people could train use of commander-goggles in skirmish with bots?

1. Good strategist that comes up with plan and loudly/clearly commands other players (drunk Yosh would be good example of that) OR

2. Good and fast way for multiple players to diplomatically come up with a plan which whole team then follows.

I don't really play any PUGs from Renegade X, but i do play a lot of competitive games in World of Tanks and have played a handful in the original game. I can say that the concept of field commanding means that there is only one commander, which is the absolute leader for the game. there are multiple things to remember when playing "competitive" games:

- Listen to your commander. PERIOD. If he tells you to jump off a cliff, you do so, and nothing else. Complaints and/or Feedback follow after the game.

- be simply quiet if you have nothing useful to say. You can say "1 shotgunner in Nod side tunnel", but such information is rarely relevant and will only flood the teamspeak channel. A commander only has 1 set of ears and is already under a lot of pressure, often it's better to simply press Q to spot, and let the commander decide if the info is relevant. This will create a balance between visual feedback and audial feedback, so neither of your senses get overloaded.

Voice for important messages, Text for un-important messages.

- sometimes it's a better idea for the commander to command only, and not carry his team. The more he has to focus on fighting, the less focus he/she has left to tell the others how to fight. Sometimes it's simply better to mine as a commander, or drive around in an APC, or simply repair vehicles so he can listen and read other's messages more easily.

One of the nice things about competitive games in Renegade (X) is that each player has relatively much freedom to do whatever he wants. If the player is not given commands, he/she can do pretty much whatever he wants, as in World of Tanks, getting no commands would pretty much mean "do not change what you're currently doing." So if you were never given a command specifically, you wouldn't even be allowed to move.

I believe that RenX PUGs could really take on a new level if these guidelines would be taken more seriously. You can have casual fun in a PUG but there are only a few things that feel better than defeating a worthy opponent after an exciting battle. :)

Pre-PUG commander warmup. Before the start of the match, the commander gives orders to his team to see how obedient they are.

Hehehe, you could say so. But if the players don't take the game seriously, they won't take their commander seriously either. I don't know about the current mentality of players when they play a PUG but this definitely needs to be there, otherwise you cannot have a high-quality game.

I think this is part of the problem that there are often a handful of players that join the PUG and decide to just play as they would in a public server and completely ignore teamspeak and any said commands ingame, these are the people we should filter out for the PUG, but that's just my view :P

I think this is part of the problem that there are often a handful of players that join the PUG and decide to just play as they would in a public server and completely ignore teamspeak and any said commands ingame, these are the people we should filter out for the PUG, but that's just my view :P

Every week we always also have at least one person who hops on TS for the pass then either mutes or logs off TS after getting the pass...

I think this is part of the problem that there are often a handful of players that join the PUG and decide to just play as they would in a public server

Because it is a pub. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people mute their teammates, not everyone wants to listen to kenz+others whine and moan for 2+ hours

These things are probably still good for the game anyway

Every week we always also have at least one person who hops on TS for the pass then either mutes or logs off TS after getting the pass...

Well those people when found ingame not to be on Teamspeak or have muted there TS sound should be removed in place of people who are on Teamspeak in the waiting channel wanting tojoin the PUG and use Teamspeak, had it this week Jasper I believe was waiting for a spot and the "solo nuker" "Non Teamspeak" player was removed and Jasper join TS and the game and that's how to PUG should be if you want just a normal game of Ren then go on the public server lol quite simple really. Surely the PUG games are for the more organised players who want to participate in rushes etc.

Not talking isnt so bad as they can type all be it abit annoying but long as they are listening its not to bad :)

Agree, but these creatures were unfamiliar with any form of communication... :mad:

Thing is.. people on teamspeak with mic only listen to people who speak. They clearly don't have any attention to the in-game chat. So if someone without a mic says something in chat, he gets ignored.

Also lots of people talk bs on ts and because of that, a lot of stuff what's going on gets ignored and nobody pays attention.

So you can say people without a mic is trouble.. but the same goes for people with a mic.

• Agent pinned, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Agent locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic