[Map] CNC-Storm

Ruud033

On 10-2-2018 at 3:00 AM, Madkill40 said:

Couldn't you just use a dense and gradually darkening fog instead? 

Or (b)force post-processing for this map only?

Sadly, no. I have to mess around with the lighting to get a decent quality look.

And there's no such thing as forcing to PP... We're gonna make it a daytime map else it will never be released due to us not having much time to work on this.

10 minutes ago, kenz3001 said:

you could do it with 3 levels (1 with buildings main... 1 with non storm and the other with the storm)  but it would make the transitions very abrupt  and the buildings would look funky after the transition

Correct. There is simply no effective solution without color lookup tables / post processing OR huge affecting dynamic lights. But since this isn't cryengine or frostbite that won't work.

21 minutes ago, Ruud033 said:

Correct. There is simply no effective solution without color lookup tables / post processing OR huge affecting dynamic lights. But since this isn't cryengine or frostbite that won't work.

What about a kismet lightning storm which strikes the domes in the map? Just to keep the map to have its 'storm' aspect

Have the map in a constant storm (like Mesa)?

But make a daytime and a night version

Its similar but not the same to the original concept

On 14-2-2018 at 11:03 PM, Madkill40 said:

What about a kismet lightning storm which strikes the domes in the map? Just to keep the map to have its 'storm' aspect

We already made the whole scene in kismet, there is no other option. It's the lighting that also has to change along with the dome, thats the issue

Have the map in a constant storm (like Mesa)

This makes up for a really depressing scene, in the past we've had a lot of feedback that people like daytime maps better.

Its similar but not the same to the original concept

If the original concept doesn't work out, change it :)

On 2/17/2018 at 8:17 PM, Ruud033 said:

We already made the whole scene in kismet, there is no other option. It's the lighting that also has to change along with the dome, thats the issue

I kinda want to see what "the whole scene" looks like without the lighting change.

A dusk or dawn lit map with light showers and lightning strikes surely would work just as well without the cycle? (Still have daylight, but keep the storm just without the day/night cycle itself)

When I used to be in the Gmod RP community years back we had a mapper who made a map with a day/night cycle and he ran into the exact same problem i.e. Too heavy for systems and caused server to lag like heck, this was Source Engine 2009. [Technically, UE3 base is 2004 even with the updates and release of UDK that's still 2009 so a live day/night cycle causing difficulties is no surprise] 

Edited by Madkill40

• 10 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
12 hours ago, HIHIHI said:

I am DEFINITELY looking forward to this. I played one of the earlier versions on Try-Out's server and was quite impressed. The dynamic weather is really nice looking. When finished, this will be added to the base game, right?

HIHIHI

Yes, should be out in this upcoming patch. (Subject to change)

Edited by BubbleTea