Disable Unlimited Time Limit

On some servers the only way to win is to destroy the enemy base, the time limit is disabled and is very annoying of maps such has Field where players abuse this time limit to rank up on the leaderboards by not destroying the enemy base totally and just keep damaging buildings. Field usually lasts about an hour on a server with 40 players.

Edited by Guest

• Totem Arts Staff
Sean":2b6ahcpw]As has previously been stated, if you don't like marathon server's then don't join them.

I don't like marathon server's which is why I play at TheMatrixRen AOW :)

Time limits ftw!

Hour long time limits are ridiculous as well. That's the biggest issue I have with TMR.

I kinda' have to agree here, especially after having several lobby wars. The 30-40 minute range is probably something we should consider, as one hour does drag if it's two horrendously bad teams playing one another. Even though the lobby wars were actually comprised of people that knew what they were doing (most of them anyway), it still just felt -right- for us to be playing 30 minutes. It's enough time to go back-and-forth in the field, and for credits to get to full army levels, on top of allowing time for strategies to be put in place.

I won't ignore the fact that I've had some comebacks at 50:00 (did it yesterday), but it isn't as though you couldn't just have those 5 minute comebacks as well. Food for thought.

This is basically the reason I rarely play Renegade X anymore and why I don't play C&C Renegade that much anymore as well. I just HATE marathon servers and there sadly those are the only kind of servers that have any sort of activity in them. A 40 minute game at most feel like the right amount of time to me, I don't have hours upon hours to simply play a single map.

Perhaps we need to organize ourselves into a group to communicate better and all join a specific server with a time limit at a specific time, that is the only way I could see a time limited server being filled nicely. :(

Otherwise there are just a bunch of servers with 1-6 players in them (or so).

It seems to me that the marathon game type has enough fans to keep the server full.

It also seems pretty obvious that you are simply in the unlucky minority and to get what you want you are demanding that time limits be mandatory, lol.

Not very democratic to say the least.

:)

I personally like the marathon server, granted it has it's downside when it goes on for hours, but hey that's the concept of it. Always a simple solution join an AOW server and help populate that. Too many people come into a marathon server then complain about it taking so long makes me laugh.

Simply find another server with aow and get it going :)

As far as I know, there are servers for every taste:

-RenCorner server for 30 minutes time limit with a 30 mine limit. Owner: Volcom (US)

-TmX server for 1 hour time limit with a 40 mine limit. Owner: TmX clan (EU)

-EKT server for infinite time limit with an 80 mine limit. Owner: EKT clan (EU?)

For every server mentioned above, I have no lag, no latency issues playing from The Netherlands.

I admit, I am also one of those people who mainly chooses a server based on current population. However, more often than not, I am also joining the TmX server even though it's empty. Play a few rounds (solo, with 1 or 2 others) and people start pooring in. It stagnates a bit at 10-12 but slowly and gradually it fills up, one has just got to be the first and willing to invest some time into it in order to fill it up. Normally TmX members would do that.

I do the above more often now because I played 1 game on EKT server, started on 11:00 pm midgame. As I joined the team that was ahead (destroyed opposing ref) I thought, this game wouldnt last that long. Untill 10 minutes after joining, the opposing team destroyed our ref (sneaky engi infiltration)

Now, this game lasted untill 1:30am and was very engaging and fun to play in (I totally forgot about the time even though I needed to work the next day :P ), even though some of those regular shits trying to get a map-change-vote passed, eventually it did. It was on a non-basedefense-map ...

please do not play marathon servers if you are not willing to put effort in ending the map yourself!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with the non-marathoners on this one. Obviously anyone has the right to run whatever kind of server they see fit, but I disliked marathon enough myself that I actually LEASED a dedicated server and installed the RenX server on it for a month.

Know how many people ever connected?

Eight. Total. Never more than one at the same time.

So there's $100 that I'll never get back and I didn't even get the gameplay I'd hoped for.

I'm with the non-marathoners on this one. Obviously anyone has the right to run whatever kind of server they see fit, but I disliked marathon enough myself that I actually LEASED a dedicated server and installed the RenX server on it for a month.

So there's $100 that I'll never get back and I didn't even get the gameplay I'd hoped for.

You and all the "non-marathoners" are more than welcome over at TheMatrixRen :) We have time limits and cookies! :P

It's your own fault for choosing to buy a server when there are only 2 servers at a time at most with players in them. :P

Oh, I'm not looking to blame anyone. Just making the case that because of low player counts there is not a lot of choice in gameplay. There are some in this thread who are making the specious argument that one has the choice not to play marathon, when you often don't.

At the time of this post, only one server has any people in it. 34 people (which is starting to get too big for my tastes). But every other server is empty. So it's either play in a game with gameplay I won't enjoy, or just don't play, which exacerbates the problem of low player counts. And since it's NOT marathon, does that mean the fans of marathon games are also sitting out?

What's the solution? Shit, I don't know. It's nobody's fault, it's just the way it is. We can only hope that once the crashes are resolved, map bugs are fixed, and more maps are made available that the player count (and thus the need for a wider variety of server types) increases.

Sean":1iitofun]

You and all the "non-marathoners" are more than welcome over at TheMatrixRen :) We have time limits and cookies! :P

Thank you Sean! I love TheMatrixRen and appreciate you guys hosting it. I play many a late-night (US time) game there.

• 2 weeks later...
Sean":39upurm3]As has previously been stated, if you don't like marathon server's then don't join them.

I don't like marathon server's which is why I play at TheMatrixRen AOW :)

Time limits ftw!

Hour long time limits are ridiculous as well. That's the biggest issue I have with TMR.

I discussed that with Skeeze (TmX Owner) a while back and he says his time limit is only so high due to the map crashes.

I generally prefer the longer games. My favourite game mode is no one has a ref for the whole game. this brings a real challenge in earning credits and makes you think twice about what unit to purchase. Also i find that it brings teams together. You ever been involved in a free inf rush with 20 people? the feeling of such teamwork is amazing when it pays off. I can enjoy any game mode as i have passion for all C&C games in any mode so at the end of the day im not too bothered :)

Sean":l15t64vj]

and holy water ;)