Renegade X - July Update!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

newrenxlogo.png

To our fellow renegades!

It has been a couple months since you've heard from the team. Your friends over at Renegade X have been busy working on the mod and producing quality work for our summer updates.

Summer '09 Trailer!

But if I were to say that the team has only been working in the past two months wouldn't be the full truth. The fact of the matter is, the Renegade X dev team and the VIPs have also been busy testing the mod. In other words, we've been playing a lot of Renegade X. And before we bring you one of our usual art updates, which you will see later this summer, we at Renegade X thought it would be great if we released some of the gameplay footage that has been recorded, alongside ingame screenshots of the mod.

The mod has developed quite a bit since our last couple updates. Since then, we've worked on our HUD & created a new bounding-box system, rigged new vehicles, weapons, and characters, and we've taken more steps towards completing our highly anticipated Command & Conquer mode. But don't take my word for it.

Check out the Renegade X Summer '09 Trailer yourself!

Downloads:

Renegade X Summer '09 Trailer (HD) (Recommended): http://www.renegade-x.com/staff/RenX_Summe..._Trailer_HD.avi

Renegade X Summer '09 Trailer (SD): http://www.renegade-x.com/staff/RenX_Summe..._Trailer_SD.avi

Streaming:

Mod DB (Recommended): http://www.moddb.com/mods/renegade-x/videos

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZzX6oXLpxQ

NOTE: The build shown in the trailer above does not represent the final version of Renegade X.

Renegade X July Podcast

The development team has not released a podcast since September 2008. Until now. Listen along as Renegade X Founder Fobby and Lead Artist Havoc89 address important mod issues, including:

State of the Renegade-X.com site

The team's direction for the mod

Renegade X's art and gameplay style

New Features

The First Release

Custom Content

Recruitment

And of course our usual witty jokes and exciting talk!

Download and listen today:

Renegade X July Podcast download: http://www.renegade-x.com/staff/RenX_Podcast_July.mp3

Screenshots!

For those of you who would like to see more heart-stopping mind-blowing ass-spanking action (without the ass spanking of course!), we have provided screenshots for those who want to see more (and, I guess, those who prefer still pictures over HD videos of the action).

Check out our finalized versions of Islands, Under, and Field below!

RenX_SS_Field_01.jpg

RenX_SS_Field_02.jpg

RenX_SS_Field_03.jpg

RenX_SS_Islands_02.jpg

RenX_SS_Islands_03.jpg

RenX_SS_Islands_05.jpg

RenX_SS_Under_04.jpg

That's all for now. We've got another awesome update heading for you in the coming weeks.

Hang on kids - we are almost there! Enlist today at http://www.renegade-x.com and be sure to check out more shots and videos at http://www.moddb.com/mods/renegade-x

Awesome update! Video is almost finished downloading. I'm going to watch that then listen to the podcast.

Also:

RenX_SS_Field_02.jpg

In the middle of the screen, sorta to the left, is that a flipped med tank? How did that happen?

Edit:

OMG I just watched that video. Creaming one's pants does not justify the sheer amount of awesome contained in those short few minutes of moving footage.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jul 30 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome update! Video is almost finished downloading. I'm going to watch that then listen to the podcast.

Also:
RenX_SS_Field_02.jpg

In the middle of the screen, sorta to the left, is that a flipped med tank? How did that happen?

Edit:
OMG I just watched that video. Creaming one's pants does not justify the sheer amount of awesome contained in those short few minutes of moving footage. [/b]

Lol didn't notice that :)

• Totem Arts Staff

Well if your tank is sitting still and being shot at by two artilleries and two tanks, it is likely that you will be flipped onto your side. It's a part of the physics engine.

Though easily avoidable - just make sure you're not being hit by 4 vehicles and sitting still with your side facing them.

As for the red outline, that's the new bounding box. You saw it in Renegade, but now in Renegade X instead of a square around an enemy, we wanted to modernize the HUD and create a sleek silhouette. It's not completely finished at the moment but it will be in time.

Oh.. my.. god...

That was me yelling at the very end.

I laughed so very hard when I heard that in there. You have no idea.

As for the outline lag, yeah we're working on fixing that. It's some kind of player/server replication issue. (One of our most common bugs is replication issues. For example in early builds, you couldn't see enemies rotate their turrets.)

Also we don't have stealthing working on the SBH yet which is why you haven't seen it.

NICE

I really like what you guys did with the outline thing. It keeps the renegade's icon thing, and adds a nice graphical touch. But one difference is that in Renegade you can see their outline and their health even when you're not pointing at them (In the video I can see their health only when I'm pointing at them).

I like the stealth effect :D

I like the repair gun effect :D

QUOTE (~Aydynbek~ @ Jul 30 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only one thing bothered me. The machineguns on APC's and Humvees didn't sound good.[/b]

I agree with that... It sounds like its firing poker chips or something.

I kinda like the warthog machine gun sound from Halo, and Renegade's machine gun sounds.

Under and Field look so strange without the base defense lol

I see u put the alt fire in the flame tank ;)

Nice video and nice game :wub:

Lets hear the boink in the next update :P

It looks great and I can't wait to play.

The outline of the enemies, visible even behind fire and cover, is something I don't like. In the vanilla renegade you could sometimes push back a siege with flame thrower troops because they could not tell if you were a flame tank or a just a flame soldier. The cone of flames obstructed the view of the enemy in other situations too.

Thanks Fobby and Bob for answering my question! :D

Fobby little tip: Next time you record your podcast, you might want import it into an audio editing software, and stick a compressor with a high ratio setting on it. This is to stop it from having volume fluctuations and the voice stays at a (near) constant level. Also, could you turn down the music ever so slightly, it was kinda hard to make out what you said sometimes.

Now that we are talking about the outline thing, yeah I have to agree that I would like to see at least an option to turn it off.

I like the outline setting in Hostile Waters where it draws the lines based on the big polygon clusters so it is 3D highlight "outline." But it wasn't that visible.

Or maybe a slider for it so you could turn it off (transparent) or fully solid, meaning that it has 0 transparency.

I'm not used to see that kind of outlines all the time.

Edit: And whoever is talking on the Podcast, could you PLEASE move your mic next to your nose or below your mouth. :P It's annoying to listen to the podcast when there's constant stream of blows and very jumpy volume of your voice. Makes it hard and annoying to listen to it. :P

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (xoham @ Jul 31 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks great and I can't wait to play.

The outline of the enemies, visible even behind fire and cover, is something I don't like. In the vanilla renegade you could sometimes push back a siege with flame thrower troops because they could not tell if you were a flame tank or a just a flame soldier. The cone of flames obstructed the view of the enemy in other situations too.[/b]

Actually the outline does not appear behind cover, so it's not like GRAW. It also does not last the 5 seconds or so it does in Renegade I believe.

As for complaints about my mic, yeah. It was really close to my mouth, its just the mic generally sucks. It broke some time ago so I need to get a new one.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jul 31 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the outline does not appear behind cover, so it's not like GRAW. It also does not last the 5 seconds or so it does in Renegade I believe.

As for complaints about my mic, yeah. It was really close to my mouth, its just the mic generally sucks. It broke some time ago so I need to get a new one.[/b]

But one of the fun things in renegade was that you could follow the enemy a bit while still locked on him.. sometimes it was quite handy even..

QUOTE (Combine 108 @ Jul 31 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome footage there. I think this will be one of the few mods that I actually get to see finished...and spectacularly. Great job, again.

I gotta say, the third person character movement is a bit jerky..a bit like TF2, imo.[/b]

I don't like the outline..... and I agree with "combine 108" about the third person character movement. BUT over all.... spectacular!!

I'm so happy that renegade wasn't totally left in the dust. I'm going to get everyone I used to play with to get the mod and it'll be just like old times... well except with better graphics and MANY great tweaks! You all have so far done a GREAT job!

I'm touched it just feels so Renegade.

I wish that before you do release any version of Rx you would have new Renegade community games as I missed the last one. It would be funny if you had advertisements (posters on apc and on wall of the buildings) for the mod on those games. I know it's just silly idea. :lol:

QUOTE (Doomgiver @ Jul 31 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW! Very Awesome!

The only thing I don't like are the fringes of units and buildings, if you aim at them. I would put them away or make an option in the optionsmenu to turn them off or on.[/b]

yeah. The mod is looking awesome, those maps are really impressive

but i think the outlines of units and buildings seems a bit weird. especially when u can only see the top of a building, but the outline goes over the objects blocking your view

The outlined units do have that cool, sleek feel to them.. and aesthetically, I really like them. But when it comes down to it, like said before, it gets in the way more than it helps.

There are two main differences between the boxed indicators and the outlines.

1. The boxed indicator had a maximum size limit but shifted in size when it came to size and proximity of the target. When far away, a structure would seem to be fully highlighted. However, as you get closer, the indicator size would max out and you would only see a limited size box with a name of the structure. This happened for one main reason: you can enter structures. The indicator in Renegade had the target's health outlined as well, but it was attached to the indicator. The box size had to have a limit because if it didn't, the box would get larger than the screen when you got too close and/or entered the structure and the name and health bars wouldn't be visible anymore.

In Renegade X, with the outline system, how do you suppose structures will be targeted from the inside?

2. The boxed indicator didn't give specifics when it came to unit location. If, for example, you're targeting an enemy unit with a sniper rifle, they duck behind a wall but you still have them selected. You would see a box outlining them and that's all. If they were to come back around the corner, you could try and time a shot, but you would be guessing where you where going to hit. With the outlines, you can see the person's body and can plan your shots before they come around the corner. It makes surprise headshots A LOT easier.

Also, there is one other factor I want to mention:

The indicators for units and C4s were different from the indicators for structures. When you target a unit or C4, the indicator would stay lit up for a good 5-8 seconds (assuming you don't move the camera too far away or you don't target anything else.) When it came to structures, however, they only stayed targeted when you were pointing directly at them. If you moved your reticule off the structure, the indicator would disappear rather than stay highlighted for a few more seconds.

QUOTE (BLaZor @ Aug 1 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This may be a silly question, but could you use the repair gun inside a structure to destroy it like before on those master terminals?[/b]

The repair gun doesn't do damage to enemies, it repairs them just like it repairs friendlies, therefore it can't destroy a structure.

QUOTE (dirtycopgangsta @ Aug 1 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The repair gun doesn't do damage to enemies, it repairs them just like it repairs friendlies, therefore it can't destroy a structure.[/b]

I know it doesn't kill enemies, my question was destroying buildings. Iirc, you could point your repair gun at the master terminal in any building, you could destroy it slowly. More repair guns, the quicker the building was destroyed.

QUOTE (BLaZor @ Aug 1 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it doesn't kill enemies, my question was destroying buildings. Iirc, you could point your repair gun at the master terminal in any building, you could destroy it slowly. More repair guns, the quicker the building was destroyed.[/b]

I think that would be a bad addition, engi's already have 2 remote C4's... them having a repair gun that can hurt buildings as well will make them too overpowered. I like the idea, but if that were to happen there would be a HUGE shift in balance. Hell, the SBH's are one of the most powerful units in my opinion. granted their weapons arn't incredibly strong BUT that element of surprise makes up for it and then some.

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (BLaZor @ Aug 1 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it doesn't kill enemies, my question was destroying buildings. Iirc, you could point your repair gun at the master terminal in any building, you could destroy it slowly. More repair guns, the quicker the building was destroyed.[/b]

No you are mistaken. Repairs guns in multiplayer only repair and will never damage a building or unit, no matter what team.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Aug 1 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No you are mistaken. Repairs guns in multiplayer only repair and will never damage a building or unit, no matter what team.[/b]

Ahh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
I don't know what gave me the impression that you could destroy buildings... :S:(

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Aug 1 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe because you can remember how engineers repair the master control terminal, since it's a bit faster than repairing the wall of a building.[/b]

I think he's remembering the Nod engineer from the singleplayer campaign that damaged Havoc when he came too close. The Renegade Sole Survivor mod actually included an alt-fire on the repair gun that had a different color beam and could damage stuff.
nodrepairgunsp.th.jpg

Oh goody, Imageshack now allows videos.

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/repairgunsp.mp4/

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/repairgunss.mp4/