I dont like automatic commanders.

isupreme

The commander should always result from the team's voice,  from their vote.      In this very important way, the players have an opportunity to express their knowledge of each other and the situation.    

This is a Very Important dynamic in the game's culture.

Why do teams sometimes get commanders by default/automatic?      I assume there is a reason, but I'm thinking the commander role is too important to be assigned by default.  It should be the voice of the players that speaks not the voice of some automatic programmed decision.

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 1

I agree with isupreme.  The game shouldn't discourage new people from trying to command.  Having slow/roweboat/shpetim/[tmx]ryz/etc. command every game is unfortunate, and a mechanism that actively puts them in that role over and over again is not helpful.

Of course I do always nominate the same ppl so I guess I'm part of the problem.

• Like 3

The problem with this feature, in smaller nnumbers anyway, is that you can end up with one team automatically being given a commander and the other not having one. So they have to muck around voting for one - if the people on that team can even be bothered. And some people have their opinions on use of commander powers in small games. Perhaps in larger games this would be fine, but in lower player counts...

I like it a lot.

Matches are seeing a lot more of early rushes from teams

Teams have a better chance at having a commander. We've all been in the situation where your team refuses to pick a commander because no one volunteers.

The commander that was carried over from last round can just... you know... abdicate their role if they want, and I try to do that every round after I command to see if anyone else wants to command (unless I'm a good ways into my fifth and force my team to do a chemical rush).

I say it's a good feature and should stay. Having a competent commander for a few matches is a good thing for this game and its matches no matter how you try to spin it. The only thing it might discourage is new users not trying commander mode, but that is a crazily rare event these days, and there is plenty of matches for that to still happen in. Plus, what better way for new players to learn how to command than seeing what the list of competent commanders are capable of doing in throughout an entire match.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:24 AM, crazfulla said:

The problem with this feature, in smaller nnumbers anyway, is that you can end up with one team automatically being given a commander and the other not having one. So they have to muck around voting for one - if the people on that team can even be bothered. And some people have their opinions on use of commander powers in small games. Perhaps in larger games this would be fine, but in lower player counts...

I'm curious, did you play in the N00bless serves back in the day?