Vote for your favourite custom map

Mystic~

Vote for your favourite custom map  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite custom maps that were added to the game?

• Arctic Stronghold
    • Crash Site
    • Cliffside
    • Daybreak
    • Desolation
    • Eyes
    • Forest
    • Field-X
    • Oasis
    • Outposts
    • Paradise
    • Reservoir
    • Snow-X
    • Steppe
    • Storm
    • Toxic
    • Tomb
    • Tunnels
    • Uphill
    • Hourglass

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/20 at 01:00 AM

Vote for your favourite custom maps, it's multiple choice, so please pick at least 3, but don't vote for everything and hopefully there's a clear winner or pattern that emerges, show your appreciation for the map creators. I've listed everything I can think of, but I've not listed maps that have been pulled from the game or none standard maps like modified black hand or survivor modes.

Edited by Mystic~
  • Like 2

Plenty of good maps on this list. I've picked Field X, Tomb, Tunnels, and Eyes as the ones that stand out.

Those 4 are all rather balanced, have little to no choke points, offer dynamic gameplay, and allow for different playstyles. Additionally, the amount of credits available to players is reasonable (destroying the enemy harvester is neither too easy nor too difficult on each of these maps).

These - along with lack of glitches and OP tactics / spots - are the most important characteristics of a map imo.

Oh, and they look good, too, for the most part :D

• Like 1

Daybreak is the best thing ever. That's all I voted for.

So many options for both teams.

So many sneak routes for NOD, but also incredibly easy to defend against with a perceptive GDI team.

Truly the only map that I think of that can actually hold 64 people without being ruined to some degree.

• Like 1

I'll add that I think I picked Reservoir, Tomb and Crash Site.

Storm is worthy of some sort of mention, doesn't get played nearly enough, there are quite a few maps that just don't get voted or picked on public servers so can't be given a proper appraisal.

paradise is also worth picking out but hasn't made it into full rotation for some reason, maybe optimisation, but this would surely be similar to Tyt's views of Daybreak as its large.

20 minutes ago, Mystic~ said:

paradise is also worth picking out but hasn't made it into full rotation for some reason, maybe optimisation, but this would surely be similar to Tyt's views of Daybreak as its large.

CNC-Paradise can't work with 32-bit option(no amount of optimisation will fix that), which is why it only exist as a custom map on T.O.'s server. It's just too big to be able to optimise for 32-bit.

• Thanks 1

I never recalled ever playing Lakeside in old renegade, maybe it is an original map? idk, thats the best map easily anyway.
supports low and high populations without baselocking players to a point of morale failure, easily defended with a well balanced map terrain.

For similar reasons i like Eyes, Field X, Desolation, Toxicity, Steppe, Reservoir, Daybreak and Outpost.
But those still aren't AS good and well balanced as Lakeside i think, gameplay on those are slightly more affected by player populations.
its a fine balance of needing and being able to stretch your player resources across the map for good gameplay, not forcing them into chokepoints that devolve into spamming the same spot because its the most productive thing to do.
player population can make or break most maps i think.

• Like 2

I never played Lakeside on 2002 Renegade, so I should probably have added it to this list, but didn't realise I'd missed if off. I'd personally still class it as a custom map someone made in addition to the original recreated stock maps like Field and Under.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:45 PM, Mystic~ said:

[...] nor Reservoir, but this is definitely a new map.

Reservoir is made by @Henk, if I remember correctly.

Another map missing is Whiteout, though its layout is based on Hourglass.

Edited by Denuvian

Hourglass should probably be on there as its a relatively recent remake, I think White Out is the same camp as Lakeside, I just didn't remember these or think of these as custom maps any longer. The voting isn't really very scientific either, but we get to see peoples general top map picks. If all maps were on there the public users would find this poll and we'd be seeing Field, Under, Walls and Where's City Flying?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Snow said:

why is "Snow" no custom map? I like it much more than "Snow-X"

Possibly the same reason I didn't add Gobi to the list, I'm considering the later maps a successor or more developed version of earlier ones, but there's only space for one more option and that should probably go to Hourglass.

16 hours ago, Mystic~ said:

Possibly the same reason I didn't add Gobi to the list, I'm considering the later maps a successor or more developed version of earlier ones, but there's only space for one more option and that should probably go to Hourglass.

Hourglass is not a custom map, was also part of original renegade