Spy Plane

Mystic~

Proposed idea: allow the spy plane to reveal stealth camouflage by dropping it by 1% on stealth units like stealth tanks and stealth black hand so it's still 99% invisible but still provides a noticeable shimmer effect one can see, but maybe it doesn't show up on radar unless fully revealed by a manual Q spot etc. Ideal for maps like Outposts and Daybreak which we just played as GDI. The reveal effect needs to stay in place for several seconds at least to be useful.

@Havoc89

Edited by Mystic~

You mean the scan for GDI? I remember talking about it yesterday and it seemed like a cool idea. Instead of looking like an idiot with a mobious spraying his lightning everywhere like some kind of autistic Thor the commander could scan a section of the base, and with a set of perceptive eyes, notice a shimmer.

I think I still like the spy plane idea more, but if a character was to be given a kind of infra-red or night vision view like the Predator that could detect stealth, it probably ought to be Patch, he already has googles, lacks a useful function compared to other characters and he's probably the only one fast enough to catch an sbh, but I wonder if this would be too powerful? He also needs to be able to spot s-tanks, but with the range of his gun revealing s-tanks could become too easy, if he shoots to mark them, but then again maybe it could be done just right. Nod snipers would need to kill him on maps like Daybreak and Outposts for their s-tank rushes to work. It might need some sort of cool down period or only come at higher veterancy or something, imagine just 1-2 on Islands hunting sbh. 

Well firstly, Nod has to be unfortunate enough or unlucky enough to get scanned from the air by the commander, and there's a delay from the time the flare goes down to the plane flying over head, but anyone camping or waiting around is surely going to give away their general position if they're unwilling to or can't move, but a spy plane might flush someone out or force them to make a mistake, especially on a map like Eyes.

Unlike the EMP de-cloaking steatlh entirely, we're only talking about a marginal 1-2% reveal for a short period of time, it's rather like spy lpaes hunting for submarines from the air, but whatever looks best. Stealth tanks were so powerful in the strategy games there were mobile sensors to scan for them. Some people are still so blind that you can drive or run past them anyway. Using this periodically makes more sense than telling everyone to constantly force fire and scan the base.

Guest Gliven

I agree that it shouldn't be an ability an actual unit has. Otherwise someone could just sit at chokepoints (which every map has plenty of) and point out every single stealth unit. Either a visible shimmer when scanned, but not shown on radar, or shown on radar/mini map, but no shimmer.

I remember suggesting this in the past, i'm glad people are suggesting this again and devs actually taking a second look at it.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 3/21/2020 at 11:20 PM, Demigan said:

Would be nice if players themselves could also try and track stealth dudes without having to bother the commander for the limited amount of spyplanes. What if they get paint-grenades/mines or something similar to try and detect them?

EMP? they already work against stealth iirc 

• Like 2