If you don't change, RenX is just another dead-end street

ex_member

What's up schrott? Yeah, the last patch caused some troubles (again)... But I'm pretty sure that the devs are working on a fix for the (known) problems!

#####

Look @dr.schrott, I love to rant too. Given I'm in the mood for that. But pure negativity doesn't help at all. You're throwing some buzz phrases around like nothing, but you're not mentioning any specific problems nor do you propose solutions here.

Assuming [feel free to correct me, if my assumption is bullshit] you're upset due to the latest patch, let's take a look at the patch notes provided by @yosh56.

Hmmmm, couldn't find anything that might be worth to be upset about in the patch notes. Sorry for your trouble.

#####

Assuming [see above] you're upset due to the above mentioned problems, there is a feedback topic.

If that doesn't help you, there is Steam / Origin / Uplay / Humblebundle / GOG - I'm sure you'll find a decent game for a little amount of cash. Your gaming hardware is probably able to run any of the latest hyped games anyway....

Guest once upon the time

@dr.schrott I think your post is more a part of the Frustration Thread ( Like I did in the past). Peopel will read it and ignore it , too :)

Some weeks you opend a Topic what I really like about what to do to grow Ren X. Sad thing that some ppl was making it to joke (my personal impression).

In one point I agree with DarkSn4ke that constructive critic is better than  phrases in the right Topic.

When no one will listen (could happend)  its not so tragical because you try to change something.

Guest once upon the time

I do not wanna fight with you :) . In your opening i see only one Critic.

1 hour ago, dr.schrott said:

And that is not the problem at all, makig mistakes is good for experience, but only if you are capable of reflecting and learning out of these mistakes.

In your answer to Sn4ke you gave a 2nd :

18 minutes ago, dr.schrott said:

If you repeat your mistakes, someone has to make you aware of that, in the hope you will realize that and find a way to avoid repeating the mistakes in the future.

The latest patch is just a good example of repeating mistakes and following methods and approach which has been proven to do more damage to the game than good.

The rest in the opening (thats my personal point of view) was more sadness and frustration , because you like this game very much.

That is my impression, so you could say that I missunderstand your opening. ;)

• Totem Arts Staff

I am inclined to agree with you to a degree @dr.schrott , and I know you've brought up some good discussions before (the current running "how to grow the community for e.g.).

But frankly voicing negativity like this, without an immediate positive solution of some sort is not helpful at all.

Obviously the Dev team and others know there are problems and I know they are working hard to correct them. 

Best to leave thoughts / comments exactly like these directly to a Dev instead of an open forum. 

Criticism is fine but I recommend more concrete examples, otherwise, it simply breads negativity.

• Like 1

@dr.schrott You haven't told any truth.

You haven't told anybody anything in this thread other than that you are upset Sorry! "sad and disappointed at the same time" 

The anims got messed up in an update and it was fixed within 24 hours, that is not something to be upset about.

It happening in the first place? Easy mistake made.

Anything other than this one little issue? 

Preferably an answer which is not vague

Edited by Madkill40

9 hours ago, dr.schrott said:

I am not upset at all, I am just disappointed and sad at the same time.

It has also nothing to do with a "pure negativity" as you said, not at all.

whats this then:

10 hours ago, dr.schrott said:

In that terms, this is a very good candidate for "how not to do gaming projects for dummies" !

If I look back, I see many similar mistakes or even same mistakes repeated over and over .

Therefore, have lost all my hopes in a bright future of this game.

dr_sch.negativity.jpg.c6560da961d9c4aae9f70d34b7e16cff.jpg

looks like negativity to me.....

9 hours ago, dr.schrott said:

PS: And I am not asking for help. Cash is also not a issue and the topic is not about it, so please stop fishing in the dark.

what was your intention with this thread if not asking for feedback (help) ?

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• Totem Arts Staff

I don't even know what's being complained about at this point. Infantry movement was jacked up because of a debug command getting overlooked and not being obvious without 2 people running around in a specific situation. 

The out of video memory thing still doesn't have a really traceable path, but is known to happen in UE3/4 games apparently. If you only just now started getting it, count yourself lucky. I still don't ever get it personally. 

• Thanks 1

Just look at ppl who stayed, and play every day. Loyal hardcore gamers. They often wear their high titles.. they are server owners, moderators.. They like how it is, otherwise they would leave just like everybody else. And these people want to keep is this way - and everything and developement depends on their stale taste.

Cnc renegade was never succesful and ren x does same mistakes.

RenX needs fresh new approach.

Game flaws that are ignored, and quick-fixed by rules and bans are my number one concern. But it is "fixed" and even tho its boring well who cares bcs this is part of the game, so everything is just fine. Epic lol

Edited by Axesor
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
14 minutes ago, Axesor said:

Just look at ppl who stayed, and play every day. Loyal hardcore gamers. They often wear their high titles.. they are server owners, moderators.. They like how it is, otherwise they would leave just like everybody else. And these people want to keep is this way - and everything and developement depends on their stale taste.

Cnc renegade was never succesful and ren x does same mistakes.

RenX needs fresh new approach.

Game flaws that are ignored, and quick-fixed by rules and bans are my number one concern. But it is "fixed" and even tho its boring well who cares bcs this is part of the game, so everything is just fine. Epic lol

Do explain. As a dev, server owner, beta tester, but most importantly, a player, I would like to know more. What could we do better? What changes do you want to see?

@Sarah! Look, everybody knows that mines system was always an issue. Its boring, its flawed, it opens a lot of space for mistakes that could be frustrating for everybody, and mainly its players developed rule that everybody has to follow, bcs there is no other way to defend building entrances - and that is just wrong by itself.

Also infantry does not feels right. But this one is very subjective thing.. I think it could be done better. Make them even more different, and specilized from each other. Add a little bit of this "tactical feeling". One example: I dont rly think that grenadiers rushing into cqc spamming nades under his feets and jumping like crazy is ok... I think this character could be very useful in different ways. Nades: 4-5s fuse delay, bigger explosion radius, bigger damage, slow fire rate. No secondary fire. Explodes on contact with vehicles and MCT only, but it halfes its explosion radius.

There is much more I could add, but mostly its just my subjective vision. Mines are like n1 thing that needs to go.. its not just my opinion, its the matter of flawed system.

• Like 1

Guest once upon the time
8 hours ago, yosh56 said:

If you only just now started getting it, count yourself lucky. I still don't ever get it personally. 

I never had it before too, but this time i had all : Black Screen, Freeze, WhiteScreen, Kick outs and so on. Look at the Support Topics much more ppl had problems.

People are not interested if it a problem of the launcher or Patch self or between this 2. Some ppl (like I ) try often until it works, other will quit. They wanna only play and dont wanna make a IT crash lesson.

I know you spend your freetime to make a good game for ppl, but why the most patches are pushed out and make a lot of ppl unsatiesfied (a lot of problems to patch for the ppl self). It looks like that the patches are not tested before (I can be wrong) but it looks like.

Please take time for the patches, ppl must learn that a patch its not easily done.

8 hours ago, Sarah! said:

Do explain. As a dev, server owner, beta tester, but most importantly, a player, I would like to know more. What could we do better? What changes do you want to see?

Sarah, look in the Forum under the Topic : In this Topic some ppl have written points of view. Now some ppl ask where is the problem, do I must understand it, I dont think so. Sarah it is not against you dont missundertood.

8 hours ago, Axesor said:

100% agree with it Axesor.

8 hours ago, vandal33 said:

I think the devs are aware of this although they don't seem to do much

vandal33, you mirror the points what ppl think, more ppl think this way. We know that the Devs are doing it without any payment, but other ppl related this game to other games.

Now I finished.

regards

Silent (not so silent).

• Totem Arts Staff
2 minutes ago, SilentKnight said:

So if you want to start with the first things that were stated in that post...

- playerbase with rankings, statistics, history, achievements ...

- good team balance

- events with prizes(something small like "your sign in the game visible for a while", perhaps some special skin or a t-shirt ), and achievements

- less lag (better server performance)

- less abusements in game (glitches, cheats ...)

1. It's always been a goal of the dev team, I think. Whether it's lack of interest, low priority, complication or just being too busy, it has never been done. (This does not mean we are doing it now)

2. You can't balance matches with this small of a player base.

3. I wouldn't mind doing that for FPI.

4. The CPU FPI uses is one of the top rated single threaded performing CPUs on the market, it does not get better than this without spending huge amounts of money. I play from the US, and literally every server has 140+ ping, so I would just be happy you're in Europe, and not over here or on any other continent. 

5. Every game has this. I do my fair share of moderating, but it's up to each individual server owner to partake in the moderating process, and report their bans w/ evidence to other server owners. When I have clear evidence of hacking, such as this speedhack that was reported to me a few weeks ago, I report it to the correct people and ensure that they have a fair punishment.

What people provide in these posts are problems, not solutions. I know that it's easy to complain, and easy to point out flaws. And I don't know if I can overstate this, but there really are not enough programmers to work through every bug. And even so, some bugs are not even fixable. We do not have access to native code (Unreal Engine itself) so we can't fix everything, but we do our best. We care about the community, we care about C&C. Some of us have been around longer than others, but it's generally the same for all of us. I would love to dedicate more time to RenX, but I have other priorities, like finding a job. I've been playing RenegadeX for a few years, and I love it. I want to provide the best gaming experience for EVERYONE. That includes poi, that includes newbies, that includes people who've been around for years, or people who are just joining. While it is easy to point fingers, in the past I think the dev team has simply done what they think is best for the game, or the vision and plan they had before hand. While I cannot speak for the dev team, and certainly not for RenegadeX itself, the game really isn't that bad, is it? God knows the game isn't perfect, as we all do, but I like to focus on positive things. However, don't take this as a deterrent to posting ideas or suggesting change, as I encourage that. 

If you'd like to start learning mutators, or learning UnrealScript in general, I would love to answer any questions you guys have. As you probably know, I wrote the code for the FPI mutator suite, which changes a few things about the game. We love to hear back from the players, and I make necessary changes or implement new features upon a loud enough response from the community. But being accused of having "stale taste" is very disheartening. I often stay up countless hours to work on FPI mutators, update the server or work on the official game, all for you guys. If we want to go over some more topics, we can do that.

- performance issues, instability, server crashing, lagging (result=people leave)

- one sided games - one team winning over and over  (result=people leave)

- good sniper wiping out other inf units over and over (result=people leave)

- good tanker wiping other tanks over and over  (result=people leave)

- good anti tank unit wipes tanks (result=people leave)

- toxicity of the community, e.g. against new players or veterans (result=people leave)

- stale mate games (result=people leave)

- inconsistencies in game make players rage  (result=people leave)

- certain "bad" decisions in buffs/nerfs not handeled for months (result=people leave)

- people in charge not respecting the "voice of the community" enough (result=people leave)

1. Mostly on Unreal Engine, but you can't really fix everything.

2. Small playerbase = imba games. While it can be managed better, it will never be perfect or even above average.

3. Can't really fix this?

4. Same as 3

5. Get a sniper? Or delete anti-tank inf? lol

6. I can't control the community. As stated before, I do my moderation part when it goes too far. People will say what they will say.

7. Veterancy has improved this. It's really up to the players defending or attacking.

8. Not sure what that means.

9. Need specifics.

10. I am attempting to remedy this now. A big goal of FPI is to listen to the community, and make appropriate change. We do not want to be the monolithic RX gods, we want to be people you can talk to and suggest ideas to. I always welcome input from the community.

Once again, this post is entirely my opinion, and shouldn't reflect any other organizations standpoint/views. While I can't say I love everyone in this community, I respect everyone's opinion, as long as they do the same for others. 

• Thanks 2

so ive been here for about a year now. as i know renx is alive for more than 5 years?..

considering that the game is 100% free for the public, made by people not getting paid to do this and played by a Very small group of people that grew up on C&C.. its doing fine.

Schrott i love you as a person, but youre acting now like this game is 60euros and P2W. Ive been there and ive felt where my childhood game went completely P2W and all of the potential was gone, but this isnt that sort of a game..

rankings, achievements, balance.. even hearing people that want ren x to go on steam.. this game isnt ready for steam (AKA having 2k active players), and We should be fine with it. There are plenty of other FPS war games either singleplayer or multiplayer ones with achievements, over 100k players so you can actually have decent balance, rankings, ect.

The people behind this project are the only ones carrying it for half a decade now.  " It is about the whole game, how you manage it and what are the results . " in my smol one year on this game ive experianced the gattling bug (where an apache has 140+ rockets), parachute bug, no-spread snipers (thank for fix btw), lag, tank clipping into rocks and walls, balance issues with chems and shotgunners (thanks sarah for the demo(never forget)), cruise missles that murder everyone in the base, and i loved it all. That is the game. Thats why i say "its not a bug, its a feature".

tl;dr play the game for what it is, enjoy the company and the people, murder, teamswitches and minimal cheating. Clip a tank inside a rock or get a stank on hon and roleplay yourself as a SAM site, put 2 APCs together and you have a mobile AGT. thats the game.

Edited by Guest

I'm sorry Schrott, but all I'm reading from you is constant negativity and absolutely no constructive feedback or solutions to whatever you're annoyed about. I say that because I can't see anything constructive in your comments e.g. "Even if you do it for free or out of your passion, you should do it right." which isn't very constructive at all.

You're not giving much credit to the developers who are still giving up their time to continue helping this game grow (a game which btw is still in BETA, please remember that), yes there was a mistake in the last patch but look at how quickly another patch was released. The developers care a lot of the state of the game and it's disappointing that you've written such negative comments that are offering nothing constructive, if anything it can easily cause more and more negativity in the community.

It's good to post proper feedback in the feedback topics as that will help the developers out, and if you're having real problems with the game or have concerns in the community it's probably more sensible to chat privately to a developer instead of publicly posting negative comments. 👍

• Like 2

What changes do you have in mind ?

Does it involve turning the game into one of those unoriginal CoD clone shitty slugfests just to appeal to the z gen dumbasses wanting instant gratification in every game they play only to be forgotten within a month as their affection span is only that long anyways.

Guest Gliven

Schrott doesn't want to talk about changes, he doesn't want to talk about what could "fix" this game. He just wants to vent and complain.

19 minutes ago, dr.schrott said:

I am sorry, but you don't understand it.

Cant you guys understand? jeez.

I understand where Dr.Schrott is coming from, we all have our hidden fustrations with RenX, the big issue for me (and the reason that lead to FPI) was the stacking issue that was becoming increasingly common and leading to rapid declines in game sessions.

I'm fortunate to be blessed with people like Sarah who put in so much hard work and effort to make places like FPI as it is. My point is that it would have been very easy for me to just rant and rave about it, but as it was said above a better approch is to try and come up with soloutions to the problems, because otherwise you are not really making anything better for anyone.

It is also important to note that the dev team is very under staffed, and under a lot of stress to get things done so a bit of leeway should be given to Yosh as I imagine it isn't easy writing up patches for such a buggy engine.

Guest Gliven
31 minutes ago, dr.schrott said:

- messing with buffs and nerfs in a way where an OP unit is produced and this is then left untouched for months (we saw that with Patch, LCG, McFarland, Fire Trouper, Chems) Patch and McFarland stayed untouched over many months !

Professional gaming companies experiment with balances in this approach as well.

1 unit being over powered, doesn't mean they need to get nerfed, you also have to look at the balance as a whole as well. Some units need to be strong in their role in order to fill holes. Both teams have OP units. Both Mobius and patch are super OP infantry. But look at the results. Nod has a huge advantage on most maps. How can this be if these units are so good?

The devs have to look at all of this, while also having a only a hand full of people to help them out. They cant constantly change balance around, and do it in a timely manor. Also they NEED the players, US, to test this for them. Who else are they going to get to test this shit?

So how is this a mistake?

Again, small manpower with devs, bugs get missed, and then fixed accordingly. These people have lives, work, etc to deal with outside of this game. Of course they are going to miss things, sometimes small, sometimes large mistakes. Sometimes huge bugs are very rare, and the only way they found out about it, if from the larger player base accidentally discovering it.

Do you really think the devs can find ALL of the bugs before they ship out a new update? Really?