ANY change to mines/ info for noobs??

hi,
Is there ANY change to the mining system planned?
Time and time again it messes games up with new players and also gets new players away. (And dont tell me to educate them it is just annoying to have the same problem eveeery game)

Even a small text every time the mines are equipped telling about the mine limit and how overmining works would increasee the fun for everyone very much.

And what about the thing that AGN had for a short time (via mutator i guess) that showed all the mines on the large map? That was really nice - any plan to integrate it again? (Because even when some mines were missing it took seconds to decide where to go - and even then lots of buildings got blown up....)

Not educating ppl about the mining system and staying in GDI vehicles is a constant pain in the ass which ruin a lot of pub games and hinders a bigger player base of this game IMHO....

(Everything else can be learned in game, but this ruins so many games and is somehow kind of impossible to know as a newcomer)

Being able to see where mines are gone is extremely op and takes away pretty much the sneaking part of the game.

What i was thinking that would be a good idea is too have a little help menu in the main menu. it would open a window with sidebar or something with topics (mines, economy, units, buildings, etc.) and info for them.

Edited by HuskerDoggo
  • Thanks 2

@HuskerDoggo I thought so too, but i was convinced otherwise when i played it some time on the AGN. (maybe deactivate it on tournament "PUG" mode)

At this point actually i dont really care what gets changed. Any change at all would be great...

Don't get me wrong, i love what you did with the game, especially the latest changes with the commanders and the ranks - rly great.

But any change on the infos for new players would really lead to far better games (and happier players)

Mining the building entrances still sounds like the game rule that has been developed by the gaming comunity, that is now supported by everyone, the developers including...

The rule, that has been developed becouse of no real building defences, that this game needed due to how the gameplay goes.

And now this rule is embraced as some kind of game feature, general rule.

Either get rid ot this deep-seated imperfection, or heavily advertise how exactly the mines should be used. You cant just simply give us that mines can be used freely while its not truth!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Axesor said:

Either get rid ot this deep-seated imperfection, or heavily advertise how exactly the mines should be used. You cant just simply give us that mines can be used freely while its not truth!

uhm... is there any server that forbids the free use of mines? don't think so.

there are some maps with a considerably high mine limit where you can (and should) place some mines outside of buildings at certain spots.

some players place proxy mines on the field due to lack knowledge, some do that to hamper their team. hard to tell the difference. but it's also super hard to mineban other players on a full server.

1 hour ago, DarkSn4ke said:

uhm... is there any server that forbids the free use of mines? don't think so.

Thats what Iam talking about. Stop acting like mines can be placed freely anywhere, while there is ur mentioned mining ban exactly for such cases to prevent ppl from mining anywhere. There are higher priorities of mines usage. Thats a developed comunity rule that everyone fell in. 

• Like 1

As Doggo said, that mutator was OP. Here's my first known experience with it:

Spoiler

On Xmountain -where buildings are quite far from each other- I ghosted to the refinery. Wasn't spotted a single time, didn't shoot a single bullet, waited for the ideal moment then used advanced demining technique to get in, so it was a perfect run. In less than 10 seconds xy player showed up battle ready to take me out and he succeded. I was a bit suprized of his straight approach, but I though he got a good gut feeling. Waited around 10 minutes to let people forgot how their refinery almost ended up, then ghosted into the refinery once again. In 10 seconds the same guy showed up again and saved the refinery. I was very curious and asked about his secret. He told me there's nothing special about it, he just looked at the map overview and when a mine disappeared he knew which building was about to get infiltrated. He wasn't even a dedicated base defender.

While this mutator was technically advanced, in good hands it made infiltration close to impossible. Yes, buildings were still taken out, but in my opinion because most people wasn't aware of this feature or simply didn't care for checking the map. I always played on AGN and even I wasn't aware of it up until I noticed that something is not quite right; now imagine a new player :) On top of that this mutator wouldn't stop new players in putting mines at ridiculuos places, that's the core of the problem.

Edited by Radeon3

In my humble opinion, seeing how controversial the mining process is, and how many problems (1) can arise from it - I would even consider abolishing them and replacing them with a different mechanism.

(1): over-mining, faulty mining, mining that is perceived by some as faulty mining, conflicts resulting from mining bans, lack of general agreement on best practices, etc...

A small list of previous mine-related debates:

Spoiler

Ps. I know full well, that many people consider mines to be an integral part of the "C&C Renegade Experience", I am just merely suggesting a discussion of possible alternatives, with the hope of starting a constructive debate.

• Like 2

There needs to be an in-game message when a proximity C4 is equipped and mines have reached the limit telling the player the oldest mines place will disappear if someone on the team places over the limit. I know it sounds too much hand-holding but there's no where in the game that informs you mines disappear after placing above the limit besides being told by angry players yelling at the newbie who is over-mining (if they chose not to outright mine ban him/her, that is).

Off course, this doesn't solve the problem completely as there will be new players overmining, it's up to the people on the team to be aware of the over-mining announcement and quickly react to it. 

• Like 1

as far as I know there isn't even something telling the players that the mine limit is for the whole team and not a personal limit. Why would new players not think that all players can place their own 20 mines?

• Like 1

Overmining is super annoying. In one game I was busy laying mines for NOD and some guy was just placing mines in random locations it seemed, meaning in the end, I didn't have enough mine limit left to fully mine up the entrances for the power plant... Lo and behold, a few minutes later, it got infiltrated and destroyed.

What I think would be perhaps a good way to counter this, is if the commander could designate specific miners. Now, everyone can still lay mines, but the miner specifically can remove other players mines as well, in order to correct issues. I personally love having dedicated jobs, I can play a whole game as the "walk behind a tank and repair it" guy and be perfectly happy.

But with a dedicated miner, some of the frustration can be removed from new players accidentally or teammates mining badly on purpose without turning it into a fight in the chat. Because often times it just turns into a shouting match. The dedicated miner maybe has a small augment to his mini map, showing mines within a specific range (So not all on the map entirely) so he can find mines that are placed wrong, and this would allow for successful mine placements over the entire game. 

It avoids the issue of the old mine on map system because it's only a certain range, it avoids turning the game into a shouting match because it's a dedicated role, and it improves the defense of a base considerably when you have a smart miner that's been picked to take that upon himself.

And that is my pitch. 

• Like 1

On 6.4.2018 at 1:03 PM, limsup said:

In my humble opinion, seeing how controversial the mining process is, and how many problems (1) can arise from it - I would even consider abolishing them and replacing them with a different mechanism.

+

On 6.4.2018 at 1:03 PM, limsup said:

Ps. I know full well, that many people consider mines to be an integral part of the "C&C Renegade Experience", I am just merely suggesting a discussion of possible alternatives, with the hope of starting a constructive debate.

++

####

I'm a fan of the mining system in gernal. Tweaks could be done though. But even though it tends to be super-controversial... I love that it forces people to communicate / discuss about different mining systems / strategies. [yes, a majority does not discuss but state: NOOB; I'LL BAN YOU: MY SYSTEM IS THE ONLY TRUTH!!!!11111!!!!! ;)]

As with many many many things in the unique Renegade universe... it's up to the people how things are dealt with :P

###########

Edit: oh and I have a tendency to run into "noob" mines as I don't expect them to be at weird spots... sometimes it's like I'm running around mindless and don't care about C4 lying visibly in the wide open :D - some people also love to place "slut mines" in front of the enemy base... xD

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• Totem Arts Staff
On 4/6/2018 at 6:03 AM, limsup said:

(1): over-mining, faulty mining, mining that is perceived by some as faulty mining, conflicts resulting from mining bans, lack of general agreement on best practices, etc...

A small list of previous mine-related debates:

Reveal hidden contents

Perhaps, and I haven't put a ton of thought into this... what if since, really the only purpose of prox. mines are to be put as building defense. Why not have mini defenses inside buildings that are destroyable/ repairable. Maybe be it some sort of built-in mine or explosive that can be bought through the PT that is fixed somewhere on or in the building.

Then prox. mines can be used all wily-nilly anywhere on the map by whomever and they could cause real havoc just like AT mines.

EDIT: Since, ya know, I figure BASE BUILDING/ CONSTRUCTION should be an integral part of the "C&C Renegade" experience.

Edited by roweboat

• Totem Arts Staff
3 minutes ago, limsup said:

Some use them for area-denial tactics too...

Very true. but mostly there is a high risk with that since mine limit is strictly based around just enough mines for each buildling.

3 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

@DoctorAnubis / @TheDeadlyWolf just check out their maps

oh yes! well I was thinking something different or new maybe. Since those are ceiling guard towers, and don't function quite the same (can't be disarmed even if youre sneaky).

Edited by roweboat

@TK0104 as you are now part of the developers and no longer the "how-is-he-not-a-Dev-yet"-TK - please tell us: are there ANY plans to make an official hourglass remake. after all the original hourglass was extremely popular in the days of old C&C Renegade.

and as ******* & ******* are working together to re-create CNC-*********

PS: everyone (I guess) would LOVE to see CNC-Glacier_Flying for Renegade X

Edited by DarkSn4ke
great wall of china caught me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, roweboat said:

Didn't someone have an idea for laser defense doors? Basically I'm thinking something that can be disarmed the same way as now, with a repair gun, but the sole function is to defend the building door / entrance.

Could be a cool map feature where a certain path is blocked off by a laser grid. When you destroy their pp, their laser grid becomes unpowered and you can use that path

14 hours ago, Zucadragon said:

So you get an advantage on top of the advantage that you got from destroying their PP? Sounds rather nasty xD

Yep.

Imo the pp is the least important building so it can have the disadvantage. It depends on how you make those extra paths, they shouldnt be that op to use them

6 hours ago, HuskerDoggo said:

Yep.

Imo the pp is the least important building so it can have the disadvantage. It depends on how you make those extra paths, they shouldnt be that op to use them

I disagree, with the 50% more cost and loss of base defences, it really just depends on the map how much of an impact it has, but on some maps, the impact is pretty heavy.

How about, a new kind of structure that can be taken over by either team, and whoever owns it opens up this secondary path for their team to use?

9 minutes ago, Zucadragon said:

I don't think so, not sure actually, I'm pretty bad with names of well, everythings. 

huge map, bases are separated by a dam, direct route (inf path) leads over (or through) the dam, inside the dam you can capture a MCT which opens up a hidden tunnel for the team which caps & keeps it

Just now, DarkSn4ke said:

huge map, bases are separated by a dam, direct route (inf path) leads over (or through) the dam, inside the dam you can capture a MCT which opens up a hidden tunnel for the team which caps & keeps it

Oh shit yeah, I have played that one, though it was with bots, so I didn't quite explore the dam!

• Haha 1

We could implement proximity C4 mines to be personal limit instead of team limit like the AT mines. Not 2 per person, maybe higher so games with low population can still be enough to mine each doors and windows/ramps. Not sure how "spammy" it will be if it's a full server but we never had that problem with AT mines and remote C4s. Then, proximity C4 can be used however people want in the field (unless they are the ones who use the prox C4 for defense).

I think other people already suggested this, but can't remember the reason why it's not approved.

I would suggest the laser control panel method. Lasers at each door which are fatal to the opposing team. In terms of appearance, the lasers become more visible when you're closer to them (from afar you would not notice them). The fact that anybody can carry a repair tool means that anybody can disable/repair the laser via the control panel which sits somewhere within the door frame, so when attacking you can stand outside the structure and disable the defence as with mines when the door is open. The laser control panel would have an evident appearance, with say a green light, and the usual HUD text that pops up when you target things. Once the laser control panel is deactivated, it stays deactivated until somebody repairs it (re-mining). A deactivation/reactivation repair time of about 7 seconds, or however long it would take to place 3 mines traditionally.

Spies of course, can walk through no problem, as you expect. Unlike mines.

EMPs would disable the panel too.

As for mines, restrict them so they cannot be placed within structures, which makes sense. Lower the limit somewhat, outdoor minefields would be interesting.

laser system.png

Edited by DoctorAnubis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Gliven

@DoctorAnubis How are you supposed to know someone is disarming the laser grid? Is there any kind of visual cue? A sound? How vague, or how specific is this cue? No cue at all would be super detrimental. 

On the AGN server there was a period of time where Alien-x added a mutator, that added friendly mines onto the map. From play testing this, we already found this to be a super powerful tool. It made infiltration nearly impossible. Any kind of cue that alerts anyone to a specific building is going to be super broken.

If we want to keep game play relatively close to what it already is, we need a super vague cue, to let us know someone is trying to infiltrate. My suggestion is a door icon that turns red when its being/has been disarmed.

5acfaddf5c93a_doorinfiltration.thumb.jpg.b8be022c0950ce7eb58055b6c3c50f9f.jpg

Also, if we plan to keep mines along with a laser grid, there needs to be a radius around the building that prevents us from planting mines. Otherwise people, including myself, would just plant the mines infront of the doors. There also needs to be some sort of way to demonstrate to players why you cant place mines there. Other than the text saying (unable to plant here) when attempting. That can be very frustrating to new and veteran players alike.

I also don't like the idea of having mines out in the field. The infantry paths are going to be a mine field, literally. There will be no reason to mine the base anymore, so why not dump all of them into the infantry routes? This forces a team to utilize AT infantry into the tunnels. Your team will need emp just to compete. People are already complaining about Sydney and Rav being stupidily good against infantry. Why would we give them another reason to use them in their un-intended role?

If we plan to change up the base defence system, I really think we should just get rid of mines altogether. People will still argue about mine usage, but now it will just transfer over to field control instead.

Also, something i forgot to ask. Do the lasers kill you instantly? Are we still able to run through it with Flak armour characters like with mines?

Also, Also. I already like the mining system in place. My personal opinion is that the pro-activeness of mine usage encourages the team to be defence oriented. They will know where the mines are at all times, they will know if one or 2 are missing from an area. And if they are missing, they can replace them. My solution to the over mining "problem" is to create a Defence Captain. Either voted in by the team, or assigned by the commander. The Defence Captain will have the same power to disarm mines like the commander. And ONLY they, can place over the mine limit. Once the limit has been reached, no one else, except the commander and D-Captain can place down mines.

Edited by Gliven

For mines along with laser doors I was thinking of limiting them to 3-5 per person, and make them weaker, like they were in the first betas. You could still defend your doors a little extra with them if you'd like, but also players could finally put them wherever they like. The team-based mine limit and mining strategy are just hard to understand for new players. This way they will be like AT mines.

Another advantage of the laser doors is that they prevent early rushes, since this defense would be up from the start. My initial laser door suggestion had the idea of being able to (temporarily ?) "break" or disable the door by suiciding on the lasers, just like we can suicide/sacrifice ourselves on mines at the moment. The reasoning behind this is that it would require some power to kill an infiltrator with the lasers, and the door would need some time to recharge (or ofcourse help from a friendly repair gun).

This is my idea for the HUD:

zkYx1xC.jpg

The buildings have a small status bar under them, blue means all good, red means under attack, grey means disabled. Since these doors would be linked to their buildings this would be possible, unlike with mines. A downside might be that it would be a bit too easy for the defenders since you'd know which building is being infiltrated right away.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I think @Henk pointed out the real problem. In an effort to keep all points of the game "team-based", the current mining system is great for people who understand it (I've been playing C&C mode since 2003), but it's too convoluted. 

Personally, I'm more of an offensive player, so if base defenses became more of an automatic process, I think that could allow more players to develop other strategies and tactics while remaining more simple for new players to pick up and start contributing to the team goal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoreDefender said:

I think it would also be a good idea for someone to get in touch with @Aircraftkiller the creator of the original Glacier_Flying.

apparently there are no plans for a Glacier remake :$ :(

@TheDeadlyWolf was working on Glacier for RenX though. think it's cancelled or abandonned atm