Alternate CnC Game PUGs

yosh56

Interested in one or the other just to mix PUGs up a bit?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. CnC Mods

• CnC Reborn [The Tiberian Sun Mod for CnC: Renegade]
    • A Path Beyond [The Red Alert Mod for CnC: Renegade]

• Totem Arts Staff

Not even including OldRen on the list. 

See, I eventually created this topic! 

Was just wondering if anybody was interested in possibly mixing up the Pick Up Games by playing one of the STANDALONE mods from CnC: Renegade. The engine is old, and pretty ugly to be honest, but I think they (mostly APB) were better than vanilla Renegade after they had a few updates and fleshed themselves out. 

They're both free, and neither one requires you have CnC: Renegade installed or anything. You can install both from the W3D launcher...

>> Here <<

Apparently Apocalypse Rising never actually made it out, but honestly that doesn't shock me. 

If the interest in trying new things is there I can look into getting a server setup, as last I checked both of those were outright dead, though maybe it was just bad timing. Before I really start messing with it (as we're going to need a way to setup teams as well) I'm just looking into the interest I can get out of it first. I honestly think it would be a welcome change once or twice to play a similar game, but not one that everyone knows far too well. 

• Like 2

Voted for Reborn because I prefer the futuristic setting more than some Sci-Fi sprinkled onto WW2 setting.
I am mainly a tank guy, and tanks in APB have ear-raping squeaky sound when they move, which annoys me very much.
On the other hand, I could play as harvester and shower my team with additional credits.
I would join this PUG regardless of the choice.

Edited by Norc

These were the two mods I followed for the longest of times back in the day, old reborn before it was redone (and redone again) was bizarre it was ever abandoned in the first place but it just took too long to get redone (x2) that by the time it was at a state of being released it had been 10 years and games had moved on. 

I'll still play either one nonetheless, I like being a harvester on APB. :) 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 6:46 AM, Norc said:

Voted for Reborn because I prefer the futuristic setting more than some Sci-Fi sprinkled onto WW2 setting.
I am mainly a tank guy, and tanks in APB have ear-raping squeaky sound when they move, which annoys me very much.
On the other hand, I could play as harvester and shower my team with additional credits.
I would join this PUG regardless of the choice.

I believe the game-sound can easily be modded on the old W3D engine. Just open in RenTools, find the source of packaged sound file and it's filename, and shadow it with a echo-filtered version you made in Audacity, or an equal length file of "pause" (nosound). Or, just turn in-game sound-effects down enough not to be bothered.

If we actually did it, I'd make one asap to reduce it if you needed it, so it'd be available early in the week of the PUG. I used to have the skills for such mods, and they've only improved (though woefully out of ratio with the rate that modern game assets and code have evolved, becoming further out of my league everyday).

• Agent unpinned this topic

On a similar note, perhaps playing similar mods/games (or completely different ones?) with the whole RenX community every now and then might give some inspiration for new map ideas or gamemodes?

I feel that community development is somewhat stuck...

Genrally, we could be learning from other Dev/Communities - what they did well, and what not - and then flesh out RenX strengths and polish its weaknesses.

And I dont think that the current "hardcore" RenX community would migrate/split to a different game/mod due to this, but rather try to bring good experiences that they like in a different game, to RenX in some sort...

Says me, who's never attended a regular PUG though :-P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Considering I can barely ever even get Reborn/APB to work, let alone know how their servers work, or if they allow static teams, I'd be down to also look into other projects..

Hell, we could just go find a bunch of half dead games in development and randomly have a PUG on them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yosh56 said:

Dude....................................... we should all play CnC 4 as a PUG.. 

The game may have been shit as a CnC title.... but it was actually pretty fun as far as a 5v5 'RTS' was considered. 

Refunded ages ago and no plans to buy it again

• Like 2

Guest Gliven
33 minutes ago, yosh56 said:

The game may have been shit as a CnC title.... but it was actually pretty fun as far as a 5v5 'RTS' was considered. 

If i could downvote this, i would

• Totem Arts Staff
34 minutes ago, yosh56 said:

Great idea! We should all spend money on that game to show our support for the CnC franchise in hopes that EA will make another CnC game then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yosh56 said:

You're fired (and drunk)

Edited by KrypTheBear
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 2:26 PM, yosh56 said:

I personally liked it. Believe me or not, it was the first Command and Conquer game I ever played (played for around 100 hours; and yes, I discovered the series only around 2011). I do agree that if one overlooks the xp/level system, and the CnC label,  5vs5 matches can be pretty entertaining.... and hectic.

• 2 months later...

Amazing someone actually made this topic. Hard to decide since I love both fictional cold war and futuristic sci-fi... But I'll go for APB since the game is more updated and servers are currently working (since TSR is undergoing updates that may make it up to the same standard as APB). Used to play these 2 games for hours everyday.

• Like 1