C&C Paradise

DoctorAnubis

I've been playing with my Cascaded Shadow Maps settings in Sniper Park a bit because I was unhappy with my shadows as well, I now have these settings:

Whole Scene Dynamic Shadow Radius: 6000

Num Whole Scene Dynamic Shadow Cascades: 4

Cascade Distribtuion Exponent: 2

And my shadows look pretty neat now, And I don't see the shadows appear when I get closer to objects so that's good too. Didn't do a before and after test on my framerates but they're still pretty good on my laptop (it's mid-end I guess :P ).

Here is a video of a test with bots, you can see most of the map

I love it ! :D

Great work!

"I am stuck here on this island..."

Can you also attack the powerplant from the outside, i.e. is the exterior visible?

Thank you. You cannot, the Power Plant is completely inside the cliff, there are however a couple ventilation shafts around the island. This is directly beneath the Nod Power Plant inside a shaft, a beacon here is devastating.

file.php?id=1141

• Totem Arts Staff
Here is a video of a test with bots, you can see most of the map

Haha nice one with McFarland at the cocktail bar (Put collision on him btw)

NOTE: I noticed that you don't have any physical materials used for the landscape. Please do that cause it's so annoying

• 2 weeks later...
So how is progress?

It's coming along, had to build a static mesh for the rope bridge. It was a bit of a mash it all together job since I've been out of the modelling game for a while, slapped a texture on without unwrap, auto collision, beautiful. Now it's pretty much a case of endgame camera and add a few bits of cover here and there. Oh and blocking volumes. That will mean everything is done apart from the Communications Center which is currently a placeholder.

Got a question for you actually. I'm using a script which makes an inside auto defence turret, not sure who made it. Quite sure it's not in the core game at the moment, how will I go about embedding this into the map?

and another, where/how do I release a test version?

another question as well I just thought of, you know Islands now features those water mines. Is it possible to get hold of those?

bridge.jpg.2aa8bef6754b9b3487c61a91d9430b03.jpg

1. I'm using a script which makes an inside auto defence turret, not sure who made it. How will I go about embedding this into the map?

2. Where/how do I release a test version?

4. You know Islands now features those water mines. Is it possible to get hold of those?

Hey, I don't know who made that either, but

1. when it's inside the SDK you can use it I suppose. I think you'd be best off by spawning it using a vehicle factory in kismet and assigning a teamnumber to the turret that way.

2. Make a complete version of the map, build lights, paths, geometry, everything. Then save your files, create the .ini file for mine and vehicle limits, upload it to somewhere and place a request in the map release topic including the link!

3. Upload the map to the map repository http://maps.constructivetyranny.com/

4. Yeah just open up the map I guess?

1. I'm using a script which makes an inside auto defence turret, not sure who made it. How will I go about embedding this into the map?

2. Where/how do I release a test version?

4. You know Islands now features those water mines. Is it possible to get hold of those?

Hey, I don't know who made that either, but

1. when it's inside the SDK you can use it I suppose. I think you'd be best off by spawning it using a vehicle factory in kismet and assigning a teamnumber to the turret that way.

2. Make a complete version of the map, build lights, paths, geometry, everything. Then save your files, create the .ini file for mine and vehicle limits, upload it to somewhere and place a request in the map release topic including the link!

3. Upload the map to the map repository http://maps.constructivetyranny.com/

4. Yeah just open up the map I guess?

1) Aren't you talking about my ceiling turret? - Thx to Handepsilon for the base script

Well I have both files, the .uc and .u - Which one do you need Ruud for Servers? Isn't it RenX_Wolffie.u? Inside UDKGame - Script

1) Aren't you talking about my ceiling turret? - Thx to Handepsilon for the base script

Well I have both files, the .uc and .u - Which one do you need Ruud for Servers? Isn't it RenX_Wolffie.u? Inside UDKGame - Script

I have no clue, I have never seen such a file / script myself

I have no clue, I have never seen such a file / script myself

What about the Repair Facility or Disable Base Defence Scripts?

Well all the other scripts I see are the .u ones within RenX, as you need it for Paradise, Hourglass and maybe just maybe, stronghold as well - Ceiling Turret Addiction : )

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing all the blocking volumes, also added a couple tree houses to snipe from, finished end game camera, background islands and an extra infantry cave by the volcano. It's looking good and will be ready to ship soon. Just need to redo the rope bridge as it wasn't quite long enough, such a chore! Oh and those ceiling turrets. If anybody is up for doing the mini-map please let me know :)

• 3 weeks later...
The idea here is; team which captures both silos will have Tiberium Flechette Rifles spawn in their refinery.

[attachment=0]whaaat4.jpg[/attachment]

Does anybody know if a team specific blocking volume is possible, I did take a look on online but couldn't find anything?

That looks cool! well made :)

To answer your question, no that's not possible. I would discourage using that too because it would break the gameplay I think

• Totem Arts Staff

team only blocking volume is posible via kimit by using a trigger volume into a get team from trigger intorgator into a compare with what team you wish to alow with the = into a dynamic blocking volume

but yer using somthing like that would brake game play unless you have somthing special planed

• 4 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Damn why are my maps so bad :(

Good looking! But you should know 1 thing: the added Communication Center won't do anything yet. There is nothing scripted for that. And theres no WIP for that yet. I say remove it for now till its scripted

This map is the bees knees! My favourite detail is the walkway by and leading to the rear Weapons Factory door.

But you should know 1 thing: the added Communication Center won't do anything yet. There is nothing scripted for that. And theres no WIP for that yet. I say remove it for now till its scripted

And you should know to read the thread before commenting.

• Totem Arts Staff

Ok so why you looking for team 3 there is no team 3

.. You oly need to look for twam 1 or team 0 yhere os no real point to check for nutral ass the player 1 / 0 check will filyer out nutral and or 1/0 depending on the team yhat caps / kimit there after

The 3 should always be 0 even tho the int will get ovenridden by the gwt team number

Not sure the building cap node is a thing unless its custom... I would use a trigger / trigger volume to trigger the check only need to check things when you wish to trigger things

Trigger - - > checks - - - > output

No need to check if its getting capped on the fly... The kismet just needs to check if your team has it to proceed to the next bit of kismet

Ok so why you looking for team 3 there is no team 3

.. You oly need to look for twam 1 or team 0 yhere os no real point to check for nutral ass the player 1 / 0 check will filyer out nutral and or 1/0 depending on the team yhat caps / kimit there after

The 3 should always be 0 even tho the int will get ovenridden by the gwt team number

Not sure the building cap node is a thing unless its custom... I would use a trigger / trigger volume to trigger the check only need to check things when you wish to trigger things

Trigger - - > checks - - - > output

No need to check if its getting capped on the fly... The kismet just needs to check if your team has it to proceed to the next bit of kismet

Ah yes thank you. The problem was the 'Tech Building Event' doesn't actually do anything. Triggers have solved the issue

• Totem Arts Staff

cool... if you use a trigger volume around were you can cap the silos... in kismit you can use the untouch node so when the player leaves it will check the silos and if they are both capped you can trigger what ever it is you have in mined... barring in mined it will trigger when ever some one leaves the volume if they cap or not... so even if it triggers once it can be triggered again by a diffrent player that leaves the volume.... but that is if you set the volume to be triggered more then once

not sure what you have in mined

Ah yes thank you. The problem was the 'Tech Building Event' doesn't actually do anything. Triggers have solved the issue

The tech building event is scripted for the capturableMCT_Kismet only, not for the silo.

Basically the solution kenz gave is good. You will need a different input, a trigger volume will suffice I think.

As for your matinee setup, when I look at it make sure your matinee properties are setup like this;

4b1193c8085247ddb6257815c5246870.png

Thank you. In the end I realised I was making things so much more complicated than it needed to be. I originally planned to have a 'UTWeaponPickupFactory' which would come out of the floor via Kismet when both silos were captured. There was a trigger by each silo both of which would permanently be checking ownership. Then I found out that it wasn't even possible to move the PickupFactory with Kismet so I gave up that idea.

This is the final sequence. One trigger which checks the ownership of both silos and then the team of the player in the trigger. If everything is in order then it grants the player a tiberium rifle. I was going to use the 'TiberiumFlechetteRifle' but I noticed that it doesn't always seem to damage enemies? So instead, it deals the player a 'TiberiumAutoRifle'

Got carried away and added another feature, the security office. Located inside your team's base, in here you will have access to the CCTV cameras. I'm planning to make it destroyable, hence the MCT. It will be very weak, perhaps 1 C4! The room is guarded by an auto defence ceiling turret.

I'm tempted to use the Communications Center Tech Building to allow your team to access the opposing team's cameras. I'm currently not sure if this will be a useful feature, opinions please :)

nowip.jpg.cbbcb1b85784a41f6ba5c7eac5d97f0c.jpg

doors.jpg.4b2718e8a29f375fc8aca470dbfe518a.jpg

Edited by Guest

I'm tempted to use the Communications Center Tech Building to allow your team to access the opposing team's cameras. I'm currently not sure if this will be a useful feature, opinions please :)

[attachment=0]Office.jpg[/attachment]

Cool feature, maybe add a capturable think to setup an uplink to the enemies defence system? Since you've done a lot I am thinking you can also archieve this :D.

So capture building a: you can enter the tib guns building

Capture silo = credits

Capture 'defense structure' and you are tapped in enemies communication

Hope you can finish the map soon, so it MIGHT be in the next patch. Suggest contacting Yosh about this.

cool idea.

I also thought about using this feature for the Advanced Guard Tower and the Obelisk, i.e. when inside you can see on the big screens what the defence systems can see and target.

agt_extymjwq.png agt_inthgjfm.png obi_extnhjjz.png obi_int0gk7u.png

Apart from being a nice cosmetic and atmospheric feature this does not really add to the gameplay...

You could use the Comm-Center to "jamm" the enemy security system, i.e. the ceiling guns and cameras are offline.

A rush through the tunnels would be more effective and unnoticed.

Hence, the tunnels should feature a more strategic advantage than on most maps, e.g. multiple exits which cannot be defended at the same time, however, the CCTV system would help identify on which side the enemy is rushing to counter it in time.

After a few bot tests I am considering opening up the tunnels a tad more. This image shows the upper tunnels. Across the rope bridge, currently you can only turn right, leading to the powerplant. I am thinking of making it so you can turn left also (the orange lines), to head to the refinery. The drawback of this is that the Ref will be considerably more vulnerable early on. It also reduces the need to go through that massive jungle and volcano area :confused:

nowip.jpg.cbbcb1b85784a41f6ba5c7eac5d97f0c.jpg

weaponsfty.jpg.1b878638dc49c05f221726c467e5223a.jpg

Paradise

Paradise is a large tropical island featuring beaches, a beach bar, a jungle and of course a giant volcano. Base buildings are split, Infantry and Auto Defence Structures are on the beach. Vehicle and Refinery Structures are behind the rocks. Power Plants are built internally into the cliffs which means the only way to destroy them is infiltration. Large tunnel systems are used to connect the base and structures, some of which are guarded by Auto Defence Ceiling Turrets.

Tech Buildings

Destructible Security Office

The Security Office allows players to use CCTV cameras which are situated throughout the base. Press 'E' to activate and hold 'E' to exit. 'Right' cycles through cameras. If the MCT is destroyed this ability is disabled. Not required for Team Victory.

2 Tiberium Silos

There are 2 Silos deep in the jungle which work as normal. However, capturing both Silos will grant the team access to Tiberium weaponry to be collected from their Refinery.

Communications Center

The Communications Center has a capture-able MCT, similar to that of a Silo. The team which owns this structure will gain access to the opposing teams CCTV and 2 additional purchase terminals in the tunnels.

uTgtjJrh1q8

DOWNLOAD LINK

http://maps.constructivetyranny.com/data/public/0782e7

Edited by Guest

Here's something that's really bugging me.

Does anyone know of a way to trigger these doors? I've fiddled around for an hour but with no luck, the closest I got was having an invisible door open with the smoke effect playing.

[attachment=0]doors.jpg[/attachment]

Yes you have to use the animset in combination with matinee. The code normally uses this animset to open the door via code, but you can also do it via kismet. You have to manually spawn in the sound though. I'd suggest you always use a soundcue for sounds and use this in your matinee sequence next to the animset. Else the sound is gonna fuck up. I suggest you first search on how to implement the animset via google etc. If you can't figure it out i'll write a larger post how to. There are plenty of tutorials online though. And on a side note, don't forget to include an attenuation node in the soundcue for setting the min-max sound distance.

Played the map today and here are my thoughts:

1) Gdi bunker has trees growing inside it? Is this intentional if so they need some work right now they are all over the place

2) The ceiling guns appear as chopped off guard towers in the tunnels, not sure what is going on but there was some chatter that they appear correctly in skirmish? This was on the TO test server

3) About the ceiling guns, theses really need to respawn, it is quite easy to kill them and most of the time if you stand at the right angle you can kill them without they being able to shoot you. I was able to knock out all of the guns with chem trooper including the bar/disco lounge with just a chem trooper.

ALSO! Chain gunner with smoke basically renders them useless so that is something to consider. I think the health is fine but they should respawn after 5-8 mins from being destroyed.

4) How will tunnel ion/nuke work can they take out the power plant from the tunnels?

5) I like the size of the map, however, I feel it is a good candidate for flying, would it be possible that however captures the comm center can buy flying vechs? This would make capturing comm center much more valuable.

6) For God Sakes man, The mammoth mk2 in the lava, this must be revivable! We must have Mammoth Mk2 :cool: The ladders on the mammoth Mk2 are very buggy, the first ladder is not bad, but the 2nd one is a PIA and takes quite a while and glitching before you can get up it.

7) Pretty much both Turrets and guard towers are easily killable from the island in the middle without them firing on you, I was able to knock out both towers with raveshaw without much problem and a sydney took out our turrets. I think these should be like the ones in hourglass where you can can get in and manually drive them.

8) I think the sun is a bit too bright, also the lava is quite over-powering on my 980TI sli setup I experienced a frame drop to about 45 on this area with just 6 ppl. You may need some optimizations, my suggestion is to remove some of the trees.

9) Getting used to the split basses will take some time to get used to, I still think they are too far apart, but we will have to see. Perhaps many players are able to run to each side of the base. Maybe beacons could take an extra 15 secs on this map? YOU KNOW WHAT, how about if you capture the comm center beacons take normal time but if you don't have it beacons take 15 sec longer... the lava could be causing some communication problems :P

Also 10) No mini map, someone needs to build it it is really needed on this map.

Overall good, I think some server admins from MFP/CT or one of the other servers that have good traffic should put this into rotation so you can get feedback form a large no. of players. We had fun today just fooling around with just 6

Ok, so this is a great map and can't wait to play it, but I couldn't help but try and break it :P, here is what I've found.

First the broken Terminals

20160726212035_1_zpsbqpjbgpu.jpg

20160726211915_1_zpsn8xwovdk.jpg

Now is vehicles where they shouldn't belong, not sure about the stank on rocks.

20160726203836_1_zps4k2aljrg.jpg

20160726210551_1_zpsnx3xrofe.jpg

20160726192428_1_zpsgkx5nguw.jpg

20160726184850_1_zpszk0ectkw.jpg

20160726185628_1_zpsozoqy0m2.jpg

Now the hollow trees, might be more.

20160726205949_1_zpsvzurnqgm.jpg

20160726205657_1_zpsnlxz9dxv.jpg

20160726213736_1_zpshv38y0gm.jpg

20160726213914_1_zpscqewkvy3.jpg

20160726212316_1_zpstv9muvef.jpg

Lastly I think the crystal its a little too long and clips into vehicles.

20160726212732_1_zps1thsclvw.jpg

Hope this helps.

Also a response to some questions above, first I don't think this is a good map for flying as its pretty small and the divided bases would be even more of a nightmare to defend and regarding the MK2 its way to big for this map, it pretty much needs a map designed specifically for it otherwise its useless.

Overall good, I think some server admins from MFP/CT or one of the other servers that have good traffic should put this into rotation so you can get feedback form a large no. of players. We had fun today just fooling around with just 6

We actually tried to put them on the new beta 5.21 server yesterday, but the server didn't have the maps yet and the custom content folders (where the launcher looks) neither. I am sure I will talk to Cronus to convince him to put the map in rotation asap

I'll put it on the official test server now. Someone keeps shutting the server down that's anoying.

8) the lava is quite over-powering on my 980TI sli setup I experienced a frame drop to about 45 on this area with just 6 ppl. You may need some optimizations, my suggestion is to remove some of the trees.

To add to this; to make sure it's not the lava but some particles or what ever else, check out this https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ProfilingBasics.html and if you've done that check this; https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/GameplayProfiler.html

Useful tools for optimisation.

(pro-tip; We've found that on Whiteout all the particles take about 28% of the calculation capacity, they're expensive!)

2) The ceiling guns appear as chopped off guard towers in the tunnels, not sure what is going on but there was some chatter that they appear correctly in skirmish? This was on the TO test server

Yeah , that's a similar outcome to my celling turrets on hourglass (appear as cts though), worked fine in skirmish, but when online the cts were completely screwed up - wasn't in the correct position, didn't shot probably : (

I'll put it on the official test server now. Someone keeps shutting the server down that's anoying.

8) the lava is quite over-powering on my 980TI sli setup I experienced a frame drop to about 45 on this area with just 6 ppl. You may need some optimizations, my suggestion is to remove some of the trees.

To add to this; to make sure it's not the lava but some particles or what ever else, check out this https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ProfilingBasics.html and if you've done that check this; https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/GameplayProfiler.html

Useful tools for optimisation.

(pro-tip; We've found that on Whiteout all the particles take about 28% of the calculation capacity, they're expensive!)

Thank you sir, I will take a look into that when I get the moment. I was very randomly thinking that some of the frame drops were because of those lockers. You know, the ones which seem to be lit extremely bad. Not sure if I was imagining it.

I did put a draw distance onto pretty much everything but it's possible it's not enough. Maybe the jungle is too dense.

As for the ceiling turrets I have no idea why they don't load correctly on a server, me and coding do not mix well. Perhaps it's impossible to make ceiling turrets with the current setup :(

The end game camera is bugged, there's meant to be a different outcome depending on which team wins, again this works on Skirmish.

The communications features don't seem to work at all